• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articalys

Mawaru Penguindrum 13

Fantastic. Love the new ending theme as well. Can't make all the connections the rest of you attentive folks seem to be able to , so I'll be content waiting for the show to reveal them.

Jintor said:
Are you American? I just ask because in general the heavy american accents on most anime bug the shit out of me as an Australian. Particularly on cute anime where the tendency is to equate everything to some weird pseudo-valley girl accent.

IIRC he's English.

Mawaru Penguin Drum 13

Another fantastic episode. Very effective at capturing the tone it's going for. It continues to open this story up into a new dimension while clarifying its central themes.
I liked how the previous fate monologues were recontextualized. Again.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Make sure you never ever watch any Italian movies, Jex.
But I like those movies, dammit.
Jintor said:
Are you American? I just ask because in general the heavy american accents on most anime bug the shit out of me as an Australian. Particularly on cute anime where the tendency is to equate everything to some weird pseudo-valley girl accent.
Well, dubbing that does that is annoying anyway, just like dubbing where English people try to pronounce words like they're over excited Japanese school kids. Just...say them naturally.

Branduil

Persona 4

This director always puts his stamp on everything he makes. Unfortunately the stamp spells out "incompetence."

Penguin Drum 13

This show is great. And it's a perfect counterweight to Persona in that it shows the difference it makes when someone knows how to establish things like mood and atmosphere.

Branduil

InfiniteNine said:
I trust Jex since he had the same complaints about the english dub of Monster. I had to mute them in P3 too so I don't find it surprising.
The English dub of Monster was bad because they ruined the soundtrack.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Branduil said:
The English dub of Monster was bad because they ruined the soundtrack.
I didn't think the characters carried their emotions properly in the dub especially the awful people. Made it seem like more of a joke to me when I was supposed to be disgusted at them and made them more akin saturday morning cartoon villains.

zeroshiki

Jexhius said:
But I like those movies, dammit.

Well, dubbing that does that is annoying anyway, just like dubbing where English people try to pronounce words like they're over excited Japanese school kids. Just...say them naturally.

You know what annoys me? Pronouncing sakura as saKOOra and stuff like that. It makes me want to stab people.

iavi

vlcsnap-2011-10-06-23h26m58s242.png

Kami no Shizuku -- Dorama 01

This was so bad it's great. Instead of a psuedo one-night stand, they made Miyabi super genki which has to = super quick camaraderie. I likes it.

This right here, it's... amazing.

Maken-ki

Panty shots. Panty shots everywhere.

If you need girls with big breasts fighting while showing off their panties, this will be more than enough to fill your quota.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
But the dubbing is always horrible and distracting! Even in Italian!
Yeah, it's pretty painful, but in that case there is NO alternative. Just gotta live with it!

Branduil

InfiniteNine said:
I didn't think the characters carried their emotions properly in the dub especially the awful people. Made it seem like more of a joke to me when I was supposed to be disgusted at them and made them more akin saturday morning cartoon villains.
Well, they didn't, I was just more offended by the pointless changes to the soundtrack.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mawaru Seriousdrum 13: If there was an episode ripe with Ikuhara symbolism it was this one. Very great use of background animation here to explain the character drama. The lack of penguin gags was not felt for once.

EDIT: Gray Wednesday by ARB, thank you Taiga: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIhGHXagzRY
hosannainexcelsis said:
Mawaru Penguin Drum 13

Another fantastic episode. Very effective at capturing the tone it's going for. It continues to open this story up into a new dimension while clarifying its central themes.
I liked how the previous fate monologues were recontextualized. Again.
It's something Utena did very well with the Prince/Princess dichotomy. Dat Ikuhara.

LordCanti

Penguindrum 13:

Anime continues to be saved.
With the train incident plot out of the way, I have no idea where this show is going. It could go anywhere at this point. *Utena spoilers incoming, don't read past if you haven't seen Utena*

I like the relationship between the Penguin hat and Sanetoshi. Does the penguin hat represent the memories that Momoka lost in the incident I wonder? Could Yuri be Momoka, devoid of memories from before the incident? That would be analogous to the relationship that Anthy and the Prince had in Utena, somewhat.

I'm not too fond of the new ED (the video specifically. Kind of lazy compared to the wonderful first ED video) but it's such a small part of the show, so it's hard to fault it.

Next week's episode can't come soon enough.

Geneijin

A Black Falcon said:
But yeah, I guess you're right, confession probably means him saying he loves Horizon to her grave... what I'm not sure about though is the ties between him confessing to her and the greater events that have been foreshadowed, including the whole apocalypse thing, and possible resistance against the ground people perhaps (not sure about that). We'll have to see I guess.
I say he's at best the 2nd most important character in the story since he's leading the eventual revolt and will be the leader and face of it.

The word you're looking for is UNinhabitable, not inhabitable, right? Some translation uses that word too, but it must be quite completely wrong. I mean, that map alone shows that "the rest of the world is uninhabitable" is the whole idea, I think.
Yeah, I mean uninhabitable. My bad.

Other than that, they can't actually change the past, they're just trying to redo things so that there is a future where things don't again happen like they did before... but why they think that the best way to do this is to start a redo of history from many thousands of years earlier neither I nor anyone else here has any idea, unless someone has read the novels and can tell us if they explain it any better that is.

I mean, that idea is just bizarre...
Pretty much. But if there's any reason I can postulate why they're doing so, it's because what they're doing is practically time travel, yet they don't want to call it that in the story basically :lol

I thought that it was that the land people, redoing history, took over the sky people after the disaster and war shown in the beginning. After that war they tried restarting their history reenactment again, but this time with the ground people in control? I'm not sure, it's unclear.
Actually, you'll hate me for this, but I was tired then when I posted that and didn't realize I left it out even more information until I was about to sleep, but here's what happened regarding that: the "bad" future (let's call it that) and the rewritten history/alternate dimension merged together, which is the world they're in now :LOL

That's why in the ending credits they state the Divine States - the bad future - and the Harmonic Divine States - the rewritten history - merged together into one timeline basically, and it was the result of their failure.

Yeah, see. Sunrise :LOL

I would go on but I'll await your questions first if you have any. And for the record, technically, the countries who are occupying separate states of the Divine States are still the land people from the rewritten history.

Oh, you mean about how the teacher said that
you have to stop me before I get to the goal point for it to count, but he did that well after they had all arrived?
I guess you're right then. Still, it was kind of amusing. Predictably anime, but amusing.
To be fair, he was never a participant in the contest because he was playing truant to buy eroge, so he didn't know about it. After he gropes her, one girl in the class remarks does that count as a successful attack, which is a joke referencing the ninja and robot's questioning earlier about bonus points or point deduction for specifically attacks/attack areas.

That's true, I'd missed that part the first time I saw the show. Still, he is the MC so I'm sure he'll prove competent in some way.

Also about him, I find it kind of bizarre that
he's actually supposed to be happy, to the point of not understanding the concept of being sad or something like that, according to Wikipedia. That smile doesn't look like happy to me, as I've said... I wonder, is that an art problem, or was that intentional? We'll see.
Hm, really? That's a pretty big spoiler then. We'll see indeed.

I address most of this in my last post, the response to your plot summary, but yeah, apart from that
I'm pretty sure that there is no real time travel going on like you suggest here (it seems to be redoing history to redo a different future, which as I said in my last post is unbelievably stupid and flawed as a concept, unless we haven't been told something important so far.
Actually, as I address my mistake in a earlier response to your latest replies (see above),
they aren't time traveling at all now because this is one timeline now basically since the merger.

What ultimately matters is that Sunrise has the perfect excuse of a setting to give me glorious action!

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
LordCanti said:
I'm not too fond of the new ED (the video specifically. Kind of lazy compared to the wonderful first ED video) but it's such a small part of the show, so it's hard to fault it.
I think that was just a one-off because the first part of the show was ending (
with Himari dying and being magically revived again, paralleling the first episode
), and next week it will go off in a new direction, with a new OP. I'm pretty sure Dear Future is staying, since there's a bunch of unused versions of it.

Thoraxes

Penguindrum 13
Besides the fact that I loved the episode, I am horribly depressed that DEAR FUTURE is probably gone now. Good thing I bought the single.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Hellsing321 said:
Maken-ki

If you need girls with big breasts fighting while showing off their panties, this will be more than enough to fill your quota.

My body is ready.

...And by "body" I mean my

Hellsing321 said:
Maken-ki

Given the author it could have been worse :p

LordCanti

Krev said:
I think that was just a one-off because the first part of the show was ending (
with Himari dying and being magically revived again, paralleling the first episode
), and next week it will go off in a new direction, with a new OP. I'm pretty sure Dear Future is staying, since there's a bunch of unused versions of it.

I'm not sure they'd create an entire new ED video just for one episode. It was lazy in terms of being the now overused "vertical scrolling over mostly static characters" trope, but it wasn't so lazy that I could see them tossing it aside next week.

Thoraxes

LordCanti said:
I'm not sure they'd create an entire new ED video just for one episode. It was lazy in terms of being the now overused "vertical scrolling over mostly static characters" trope, but it wasn't so lazy that I could see them tossing it aside next week.
They'll probably just continue to mix them. They used another version of Dear Future before, and honestly, they'll probably just mix em for the season. The ED is pretty ambiguous as far as timing and music relation go, and they both fit in the timeslot.

However, I am wondering when the new OP will be used. The vibraphone in it makes it addicting to listen to.

Thoraxes

I think the uncensored version of Maken Ki airs 2 days later on AT-X.

Also, this show is stupid.
Picked up for the season I have no idea why.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Geneijin said:
Because it was asked, Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon Episode 1 Summary (blame ABF):

At the beginning of the episode, we're shown the land undergoing some kind of transformation. This may be what is later suggested by the conversation between the two teachers, Musashi and Sakai, the apocalypse. After the opening, we see a girl singing at a grave with the name Horizon inscribed on this gravestone. Later, throughout the episode, it's implied or suggested this girl is the sister of Horizon. Probably Horizon's imouto. The next scene transitions to our main character, Tori Aoi, who offhandedly remarks something needs to be put at an end.

And this character is important because the following exposition which is setup between the instructor and Toussaint (the boy with the glasses) setups Tori's background. That he's the representative/Chancellor of this flying city/ship, and reps are usually chosen by "them," which isn't made known yet who they are exactly although it could be assumed it's some higher authority or power (Testament Union), that they usually pick incompetent fools/puppets basically, so they can easily manipulate these incompetent reps, including Tori Aoi, our main character. It also provides us with some context and even motivation for this character, Tori. Our main character was once incapable seemingly. Is he still now? That remains the question onto the next episode.

One important thing to note is that the "Far East Musashi" is basically a landless property/flying estate/flying ship - the ship Tori and his ragtag team of classmates/friends are on - because the Earth only has a few remaining pieces of land where people can still inhabit. These remaining plots of land, which has its own separate states/countries and practically the size of Japan, more or less, as indicated in the picture Dresden links to are called the "Divine States." Here's the catch: all territories - the Divine States - use to belong to Far East Musashi, but they're basically enslaved for reasons I'll detail later. Think of Far East Musashi as Britannia basically. The age limit requirement is an example of their enslavement and imprisonment. They were formerly a super power country or something equivalent with many territories.

Before the training exercise (tag) begins, there's another important thing you should remember. The instructor specifically says after looking and passing Horizon's gravestone that Horizon marks the start of their journey. They being the class we saw earlier. It also could imply they were friends with Horizon before.

Anyway, near the end, Tori shows up and proclaims he'll finally have a confession. And while it's unknown what a confession was initially, when he states it's a confession to Horizon, who Tori's sister Bel Fiore says died 10 years ago, we can safely assume they're implying this is a love confession. Also, the name Horizon has meaning because of the gravestone shown earlier in the episode. We also learn something important about Tori: he never confessed to Horizon and plans to do so before he challenges the world. Tori might be suggesting he's planning to lead a revolt with Far East Musashi.

Now here's where most of the confusion is: the exposition in the ending credits. From what I can interpret, they're trying to rewrite history because they want to prevent the collapse of their former continent/country. As the ending credits state, the people use to be able to rise to the heavens and had formed cities in the sky basically. However, a war up there caused the sky continent (for simplicity's sake) to collapse, and they were forced to return to the Earth and live on the ground instead of the skies. The problem was most of the land was inhabitable and what later became known as the "Divine States" was the only land left habitable. So in an attempt to fix this - to prevent the destruction, the apocalypse, of the sky continent, they set forth to rewrite/relive history by creating a magic book, the Testament, where they can literally replace the bad future with this newly created one within the book where the sky continent never collapsed and prevent it from happening. It's sort of like a mechanic of time travel basically.

However, they failed once already. Hence, why Far East Musashi is now enslaved because the countries took over the undefended lands Far East Musashi temporarily abandoned to rewrite history.
I still don't understand shit.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Geneijin said:
Because it was asked, Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon Episode 1 Summary (blame ABF)

Seriously thanks for the writing this up. Helps a ton in understanding the story.

They should have went the Fate/zero route with this anime and spent the entire episode actually talking about the story instead of the ridiculous way they went about it,
dat ending

Persona 4: The Animation 1

I'm surprised how much they tried to stay true to the game. The main character is barely a step above silent protagonist, the music is identical in certain scenes, the dialogue is paraphrased a bit but still essentially the same, and there are even some game effects like the calender switching and stats screen in the eyecatch. Fine by me since I was thinking of the game the whole time. I see the moon card in the beginning and I'm just thinking "Oh shit, double exp! Gimme!"

For someone like me who spent nearly 200 hours on the game, seeing another interpretation of the material like this is a dream come true. I don't know if I could recommend it to non-fans, but anyone that loved the game should definitely check this out. I'm absolutely psyched to see certain scenes animated and wonder how they'll even handle a bunch.

Even if it goes to shit, I won't be too bummed out since there's the game and all. This is a no-lose situation for me and I'm excited.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
after watching penguin drum 13. speculation about what lies in store in the final eps:

There's gonna be another train attack isn't there? On the 10 year anniversary of the line....

Thoraxes

GaimeGuy said:
after watching penguin drum 13. speculation about what lies in store in the final eps:

There's gonna be another train attack isn't there? On the 10 year anniversary of the line....
While I agree that I can totally see that happening, this show has been surprising the hell out of me and that almost seems to predictable.

Or at least it won't be the high-point of the story.

Steroyd

Penguindrum - 13

Whoa, getting strung along with no idea where it's headed, great ep.

Persona 4 The Animation - 01

It's literally Persona 4 the game the animation, I don't know how I feel about watching a game that's posing as an anime and playing itself, I was too familiar with everything in this ep. It's just so jarring after pouring a stupid number of hours into the game to see the stat pentagon, the calendar, special attacks, I'm really going to see the social links and combo attacks aren't I.

Makes me want to play the game again, so on that front, well done.

wsippel

Banned
Persona 4 1

I like it. I found the game interesting, but the gameplay was too archaic for my taste, so now I get to experience it without the boring level designs and tedious turn based fights.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Mawaru Penguin Drum Episode 013:
I like where this is going! Now to wait another week to see what happens to those who will never amount to anything.

Regulus Tera said:
I still don't understand shit.
I think Geneijin is the only person here who even thinks they understand this show's backstory.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
Horizon Ep.1

Proof that baloon breasts can not make any anime good. Smugface was actually the highlight of the show :(

I should also mention the end credits:

http://i56.tinypic.com/2elxue9.gif
So you'll keep watching, then?

But yes, that gif is appropriate for the end credits part, I agree. :)

mAcOdIn said:
That Horizon show was the worst thing I've seen in months.
Good to see you're watching it, I guess... :)

(No reply to my last post in reply to you? Oh well.)

First thing that pissed me off was calling that area they were fighting in the "industrial area," I didn't see any fucking industry around! Maybe that's just the Anime Network.
Yeah, it was more of a shopping district.

Second, is for a show whose story must be retarded beyond all fuck it would live and die based on its characters, of which there are a shit ton but amongst so much variety there wasn't a single inspired character design to be found. They just all look laughably bad, it's so painful to even look at.
The characters are mostly extremely generic, yeah.

The female teacher makes little sense, so that arch demon guy from Doom kicked her out of her apartment and she left but then comes back later to beat them up? Ok? Why not beat them up when they came to evict you? She's either moral enough to where at the time she felt she had done something that deserved being kicked out which would exclude her from fighting or is immoral enough to where she'd fight over it or thought they were in the wrong completely and she'd have fought them then, it makes no sense she'd get kicked out, stew for a week and then come and fight them all, especially as they've depicted her character type. This writer sucks.
Heh... good point, I'm not sure why she obeyed them before but now went back to beat them up. Who knows really, because they needed an excuse to get the episode going? Maybe the books explain, if that comes from them.

So speaking of the writing, my third gripe is the dialog, it's all terrible. It's not the amazingly bad terrible writing like Glass Fleet either, it's just bad bad. You're supposed to get a feel that these guys all know each other and are palling it around while fighting competently but I hope their lame dialog was because they were focused on fighting and there just wasn't any brain capacity left over for higher speech because they are all idiots.
The dialog was okay, sort of... I mean, okay for very generic anime writing. It was certainly nothing good, but it wasn't the worst ever. And anyway, they were clearly focusing on the fighting, which shouldn't be too surprising coming from Sunrise.

Which brings me to the fighting, which was laughable. The teacher seemed competent but that makes everything too weird as she was so much faster than everyone else that how would some of them have caught up in the first place? But since it was anime everyone somehow caught up to get a moment in, even if it was to show they sucked, but how? I assume the show was trying to make them all look competent fighters but then it doesn't make any sense!
The fighting was alright. I think the idea was that they're all good, but she's even better, and also to show off the powers of most of the major characters. I think it accomplished those things.

Doucheface's appearance was as dreadful as I imagined, at this point I can only assume the people who drew these designs view this show as a parody and want to make it as obvious as possible because it's painful to imagine them trying to make this guy any kind of hero-type character, which they're sure to attempt. Also, somehow the female teacher has almost the exact same face as him just with longer hair! Really, look again!
Yeah, that MC... I don't know whether to tolerate him or hate him, he's one half of the time and the other the other half. It's kind of weird. His smile definitely is kind of creepy though, the art in this show does have some issues.

The story as they attempted to explain it is so stupid I don't even know where to start.
That's for sure. For more on that though see Geneijin and my posts on the story... but yes, as far as I can understand it (and I definitely do not fully understand the backstory of this show), it's really stupid.

Everything about this show was terrible! Terrible.
Overall the show was kind of bad, but the question -- as yet unanswered -- is whether it will be good bad, or bad bad.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Steroyd said:
Persona 4 The Animation - 01

It's literally Persona 4 the game the animation, I don't know how I feel about watching a game that's posing as an anime and playing itself, I was too familiar with everything in this ep. It's just so jarring after pouring a stupid number of hours into the game to see the stat pentagon, the calendar, special attacks, I'm really going to see the social links and combo attacks aren't I.

Makes me want to play the game again, so on that front, well done.

You have seen through Atlus' schemes. Your Knowledge has greatly increased! Your Understanding has greatly increased!

wsippel said:
Persona 4 1

I like it. I found the game interesting, but the gameplay was too archaic for my taste, so now I get to experience it without the boring level designs and tedious turn based fights.
Where the hell is Aeana when you need her?

wsippel said:
Persona 4 1

I hate you so much right now.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
wsippel said:
Persona 4 1

A statement can be so horrible that the words "It's my opinion" cannot protect you from being as wrong as you are.

wsippel

Banned
Trojita said:
A statement can be so horrible that the words "It's my opinion" cannot protect you from being as wrong as you are.
Not liking "old school" (if you consider that term less offensive) JRPG concepts is certainly not wrong. In the end, it's about personal taste, and I can't stand turn based combat, (semi-)random battles and repetitive level designs. I never said it's bad, not even "in my opinion" - I simply don't like it.

Steroyd

Regulus Tera said:

Aaaaw snap!

----------------------------

Mashiro-iro Sympthony - 01 Maken Ki - 01

I'm not even going to bother.

Keywords:

Harem
Was an all Girls School
Male test students
Panty shots galore
It's not as shit as Mashiro Iro. (not saying much)

Oh and some ABF branded incest.

------------------------------

wsippel said:
Not liking "old school" (if you consider that term less offensive) JRPG concepts is certainly not wrong. In the end, it's about personal taste, and I can't stand turn based combat, (semi-)random battles and repetitive level designs. I never said it's bad, not even "in my opinion" - I simply don't like it.

The only old school aspect of Persona is the turn based battles, you can avoid battles if you want because they aren't even "semi-random" (what does that even mean!?), although like many RPG's it doesn't do much good to avoid battles all the time.

wsippel

Banned
Mashiro-iro Symphony 1

That was bad. Also, MC's sister is so dense she bends time and space. Dropped.

Boku Ha whatever 1

Horrible character designs, and all in all terrible. Dropped.

Maken-ki! 1

That was actually kinda enjoyable. Well, it was at the very least the best of those three shows, and the last one I watched, so my expectations were already really, really low. Might have to give it one more episode before passing judgement.

mAcOdIn

Jintor said:
Full Metal Panic! (s1)

Well, this show is a strange combination that somehow works.
It'll stop working halfway through.
zeroshiki said:
FMP, when Gonzo left, became much much better.
That's a lie, Gonzo actually had the best season of FMP.
A Black Falcon said:
Good to see you're watching it, I guess... :)
Watched, not watching, I don't plan to sit through another episode of this shit.
A Black Falcon said:
(No reply to my last post in reply to you? Oh well.)
My bad, I was rocking Firebird Alphas and 9 came out and it kept pestering me to upgrade but I didn't want to because some of my extensions would no longer work and then one day it opened a new window and I lost my progress in the thread. I have since got off the alpha channel and am now just rocking the beta of 8 so I should have no issues like that again. I'll see if I can find it later.
A Black Falcon said:
Yeah, it was more of a shopping district.
Exactly!
A Black Falcon said:
The characters are mostly extremely generic, yeah.
It's such a large ensemble of generic too, I found it incredibly offputting.
A Black Falcon said:
Heh... good point, I'm not sure why she obeyed them before but now went back to beat them up. Who knows really, because they needed an excuse to get the episode going? Maybe the books explain, if that comes from them.
Probably just for the excuse, this show is shit.
A Black Falcon said:
The dialog was okay, sort of... I mean, okay for very generic anime writing. It was certainly nothing good, but it wasn't the worst ever. And anyway, they were clearly focusing on the fighting, which shouldn't be too surprising coming from Sunrise.
No, the dialog was terrible. At least the translated dialog as I can't speak for the original Japanese. There really was nothing that I'd find passable for a young readers book or television show, if someone floated me this script I'd have burned it after the first page and blacklisted the author.
A Black Falcon said:
The fighting was alright. I think the idea was that they're all good, but she's even better, and also to show off the powers of most of the major characters. I think it accomplished those things.
Not really though. The fighting was all lame, the teach runs faster backwards than they do forward yet they all catch up, half the characters don't even get attacks in because they get stepped on and stupid shit like that, like the dude with the curry, the special effects that accompany their attacks is just hideous, everything was lame.
A Black Falcon said:
Yeah, that MC... I don't know whether to tolerate him or hate him, he's one half of the time and the other the other half. It's kind of weird. His smile definitely is kind of creepy though, the art in this show does have some issues.
He never attains tolerate status to me, so I know how I feel, I hate him. But that just means he fits in with the rest of the characters.

And to again bring up the terrible characterization, this guy is an idiot but if he's got the balls and the lack of brains to grope people like that, he probably doesn't need some porn game. It doesn't really fit.
A Black Falcon said:
That's for sure. For more on that though see Geneijin and my posts on the story... but yes, as far as I can understand it (and I definitely do not fully understand the backstory of this show), it's really stupid.
I don't understand why people feel the need to understand it. It's crap, let it be.
A Black Falcon said:
Overall the show was kind of bad, but the question -- as yet unanswered -- is whether it will be good bad, or bad bad.
But there is no question here, there was nothing in this first episode to give any indication that the source material or the team handling it could pull off anything but bad bad. It's a drop.

wsippel

Banned
Steroyd said:
The only old school aspect of Persona is the turn based battles, you can avoid battles if you want because they aren't even "semi-random" (what does that even mean!?), although like many RPG's it doesn't do much good to avoid battles all the time.
It's not just the turn based combat.

And by "semi-random" I mean that, while you can at least see enemies on the field, you only see a representation, not the actual enemies you're about to encounter. The battles aren't random, but what exactly you encounter is. Or am I thinking of a different game? It's been a while...

In the end, it's about taste and therefore pointless to discuss this any further. I don't say Persona is bad (it's actually pretty good from what I can tell), I just say that I personally don't enjoy the mechanics and the dungeon design. Nothing wrong with that.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Idolm@ster 14 - Whew a epic plot is starting to brew for the series. I hope the rivarly drama actually goes somewhere, because it has a lot of potential at this point, especially with the
behind-the-curtain villian lulz
. The new opening and the first few minutes were pretty great to, liked how the latter was basically a homage to the opening of the first episode.

wsippel said:
In the end, it's about taste and therefore pointless to discuss this any further. I don't say Persona is bad (it's actually pretty good from what I can tell), I just say that I personally don't enjoy the mechanics and the dungeon design. Nothing wrong with that.
You said you didn't enjoy Persona 4 because it was "archaic" which implied you were making a statement of some kind on the quality of the game. It's also WRONG.

wsippel

Banned
Lafiel said:
You said you didn't enjoy Persona 4 because it was "archaic" which implied you were making a statement of some kind on the quality of the game. It's also WRONG.
Then replace "archaic" with "too old school", which is what I actually meant. It wasn't meant as a statement regarding the quality of the game.

EDIT: Made it clearer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom