• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
I didn't catch this a few days ago.

While I would have hoped for a higher budget thing, that's not really possible. I will say, though, that if you look past all the terible production values its still Marimite at its core and its still a fun story.

I want a new season too :(
They just need to get Pizza Hut on board for a final season!

----

Persona 4: Lazy adaptation is lazy. But I suppose when you make a show like this, you're basically a) pimping the fighting game and the Vita remake and b) trying to milk the fans of the franchise one more time. Sentai or whomever really should just pay Giantbomb to do a commentary track over the anime for the DVD release... that's probably the only way the anime could be considered interesting.

Swag

hosannainexcelsis said:
Agreed. I think the next two seasons work better with the school comedy and military drama elements segregated.
True, sadly from reading Sigma it seems like
they throw the school elements completely out the window
in order to progress the story.

Persona 4

Zi6OE.png

That's what I call a great first episode. 80% of the audience played Persona 4, so no boring explanation about the "important" background story. It was like the first hour of the game in 20 minutes.
And, oh god, the battle music is sooo super.

Absolutly, the best new show this season.

Sebulon3k said:

I'm still interested in it. I really liked where The Second Raid took the story and characters.

zeroshiki said:
FMP, when Gonzo left, became much much better.

That too. KyoAni is certainly better at animation than Gonzo ever was.

Jintor

Sebulon3k said:
Your in for a treat

I picked some good stuff to watch this month. Classics, Big O and FMP (and Fumoffu), and Trigun: Badlands Rumble which turned out to be good, and Baka + Test which is surprisingly funny, and Disappearance (again) which is... well, it's Disappearance.

firehawk12 said:
Persona 4: Lazy adaptation is lazy. But I suppose when you make a show like this, you're basically a) pimping the fighting game and the Vita remake and b) trying to milk the fans of the franchise one more time. Sentai or whomever really should just pay Giantbomb to do a commentary track over the anime for the DVD release... that's probably the only way the anime could be considered interesting.
If they can't get the original English cast back thats probably the only way I'll buy them.

Enron

Banned
zeroshiki said:
FMP, when Gonzo left, became much much better.

I don't know. Fumoffu was goddamned fantastic but TSR was absolute creamy shit. Although I don't think it's kyoani's fault, I think the source material (the novel) was fucking garbage.

zeroshiki

Enron said:
I don't know. Fumoffu was goddamned fantastic but TSR was absolute creamy shit. Although I don't think it's kyoani's fault, I think the source material (the novel) was fucking garbage.

They made it better by turning the twins female!

Swag

Enron said:
FUMOFFU > TSR > FMP. TSR hit the nail on the head with the balance between the school / military story progression formula so well.

zeroshiki

Sebulon3k said:
FUMOFFU > TSR > FMP. TSR hit the nail on the head with the balance between the school / military story progression formula so well.

I actually thought TSR was excessively serious towards the end. Although I guess we could chalk that up to the source material being as such.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
I actually thought TSR was excessively serious towards the end. Although I guess we could chalk that up to the source material being as such.
Which is apparently why the new books shouldn't be adapted.

Swag

zeroshiki said:
I think they needed to make it a lot more serious towards the end in order to setup the atmosphere for Sosuke's internal struggle with the
thought of Kaname's death
, wouldn't have had the same effect if they were littering that arc with jokes.
firehawk12 said:
Which is apparently why the new books shouldn't be adapted.
Yeah the new material is 100% like the end of TSR for quite a long time, because they
leave the school

Enron

Banned
zeroshiki said:

There were several things that I hate about TSR which I wont be too specific about because spoilers.

But there were a lot of eyerolling moments. Some characters-acting-out-of-character, a horrible plot (even for a light novel/anime), and the bad guys sucked. The best thing about TSR was the extra/oav/thing about Tessa's bad day.

Jintor

Persona 4: The Animation

Fuck yes fanservice galore. Even stuff like seeing his room, the Junes Food Court, or the store itself was glorious.

Can't wait for english dubbing (I never thought I'd say that) [caveat: must have same voice actors and/or GiantBomb commentary track]

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
PdotMichael said:
Persona 4

http://i.imgur.com/Zi6OE.png

That's what I call a great first episode. 80% of the audience played Persona 4, so no boring explanation about the "important" background story. It was like the first hour of the game in 20 minutes.
And, oh god, the battle music is sooo super.

Absolutly, the best new show this season.
I actually sang to the lyrics when Reach Out to the Truth started playing. :X

duckroll

Penguindrum Ep13

Great episode. It's clear the the tonal shift in the last few episodes is here to stay. It's possible there'll be another shift later on, but for now I expect the episodes to follow a darker and more grounded narrative dealing with the motivations and pasts of the various characters. So much less humor than before. It's a bit draining to watch. Of particular note this week is how strong the writing is. Sometimes an episode is driven by the visual direction, sometimes by the performance of the actors, etc. This episode I feel was driven mostly be the script. How the dialogue is written, paced, and positioned throughout the episode really defined how well presented it was. The entire narrative of the episode and the main themes were framed by what was written, more than what was shown.

duckroll said:
Penguindrum Ep13

Great episode. It's clear the the tonal shift in the last few episodes is here to stay. It's possible there'll be another shift later on, but for now I expect the episodes to follow a darker and more grounded narrative dealing with the motivations and pasts of the various characters. So much less humor than before. It's a bit draining to watch. Of particular note this week is how strong the writing is. Sometimes an episode is driven by the visual direction, sometimes by the performance of the actors, etc. This episode I feel was driven mostly be the script. How the dialogue is written, paced, and positioned throughout the episode really defined how well presented it was. The entire narrative of the episode and the main themes were framed by what was written, more than what was shown.

So Ikuhara saves anime again this week? :p

Seriously i hope to check this out soon.

Jintor

RurouniZel said:
Watching this show won't make you many friends 01: I had no idea what I was getting into other than a show that was clearly a harem show that has a very high budget. This will probably end up being the Mayo Chiki of this season.

Which is why it's kind of unfortunate that this is basically a Haruhi clone with the harem/fanservice turned up by a factor of 100 if the OP animation is anything to go by.

Boy loner Kodaka apparently can't make friends because his blond hair makes everyone think he's a Yankee and avoid him at mere sight. Long-haired beauty Yozora pushes everyone away and talks to her imaginary air friend when she's alone. After he catches her in the act, they talk about their respective loser qualities and lack of friends and Yozora decides to make a club to make friends and ropes Kodaka into helping her do so. So we've got the Kyon and Haruhi setup, and the show ends with Sena, the Mikuru of this show, joining the club because despite her massive boobs she has no "friends" either, just men who want to fuck her silly.

Well I'll give her that she's not completely brainless and understands they're not her friends. The two girls, naturally, do not get off to a good start and will undoubtedly begin to fight for Kodaka's affections later in the show. There seems to be a church on campus or something though, I wonder how that's going to play itself into the narrative. Or just be decoration or something.

Will continue to watch because I'm a sucker for pretty animation and artwork, even if their faces look really squashed.

This actually sounds kind of interesting, you bastard

It also makes me want an anime adaption of Yandere Kanojo sooooooooooooo much, just because you said the word 'yankee'.

firehawk12 said:

Oh hey, firehawk took a shit on it. By definition this means it was good.

Oh, it was. It really was.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
jman2050 said:
Boku Wa Tomodachi Ga Sukunai 1

Massive improvement from the disastrous preview episode and there were actually some decently funny parts. Still not very good overall, but there is hope. What the hell, I'll try it again next week.

The music is very bad though.

Yeah, the music was nothing special.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Persona 4 : The Animation - It pretty much lives up to the title, it just persona 4 animated and nothing more, and nothing less.

Probably won't watch a another episode of this. More detailed impressions in the official thread!

Enron

Banned
Lafiel said:
Persona 4 : The Animation - It pretty much lives up to the title, it just persona 4 animated and nothing more, and nothing less.

Probably won't watch a another episode of this. More detailed impressions in the official thread!

BU BU BU BUT it has an idol!

Sebulon3k said:
This is entirely true,
there are no more school parts after TSR ends, and no comedy after about a chapter after the TSR OVA. Instead, there's lots of serious drama and sadness. It gets quite dark, far more than anything seen in the TV series. It gets stupider too, in some ways.
And that's why I don't like the series much after TSR, I really do not like the direction it goes in after that, or some of the things that happen. And I really liked the first season of the anime.

Geneijin said:
Actually, he doesn't.
That was the joke they setup from the beginning about bonus points.
Oh, you mean about how the teacher said that
you have to stop me before I get to the goal point for it to count, but he did that well after they had all arrived? I guess you're right then. Still, it was kind of amusing. Predictably anime, but amusing.

Actually, that's questionable. His background was told at the beginning of class that he was chosen as representative because he was incompetent, someone they could easily manipulate. How much he's grown now, however, is the bigger question which we'll see later.
That's true, I'd missed that part the first time I saw the show. Still, he is the MC so I'm sure he'll prove competent in some way.

Also about him, I find it kind of bizarre that
he's actually supposed to be happy,
to the point of not understanding the concept of being sad or something like that, according to Wikipedia. That smile doesn't look like happy to me, as I've said... I wonder, is that an art problem, or was that intentional? We'll see.

From what I interpreted,
they are from the future in the past trying to rewrite history. It isn't that humanity is mostly wiped out, it's that the planet/Earth is mostly uninhabitable except the "Divine States," which are basically the last remaining, livable plots of land left.
I address most of this in my last post, the response to your plot summary, but yeah, apart from
that I'm pretty sure that there is no real time travel going on like you suggest here (it seems to be redoing history to redo a different future, which as I said in my last post is unbelievably stupid and flawed as a concept, unless we haven't been told something important so far.

One explanation could be that the girl who's singing at the beginning of the episode after the OP is her sister. Probably younger. And that the confession the MC/Tori is giving is an actual confession of love he'll be giving at her older sister's grave because he never could then.
Probably so, yeah.

I believe it's not about history being wiped out. It's them having already failed once to rewrite history. This is their 2nd attempt now to fix their mistakes. The wars are basically because Far East lost their territory while they were gone rewriting history and failing, so they're attempted to reclaim their lost land, hence, the wars I think.
I think the other post addresses this part.

Maybe. It's like piecing together bad scraps of paper to make sense of it.
That's for sure, the plot is extremely poorly explained. Oh Sunrise...

NewFresh

Fate / 0 Ep.1

I had very little hope for this show and it pretty much lived up to my expectations. The characters say so much and yet none of it is interesting. One of the larger problems I had was with the look of the show. The characters seemed horribly overlaid into the scenes and fail to look as if they are part of the environment at all. I know that this is a Type Moon property joint, maybe they wanted to give a more VN feel, but it made the show look poorly put together. I could be the only one, but just look at this:
344xk3o.png

Anyway, the music was good. I won't be watching any more.

-Stranger-

Lafiel said:

I'm going to give it a chance, simply because i love Persona 4 so much =P

trejo

Boku Tomodachi 1

Well this was pretty much just all-around terrible. Most offending of all is probably the uglier Denpa-like character designs. Seriously, what is wrong with their mouths?

Anyway, I'll watch this for Meat and see how long I can last.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Unknown Soldier said:
Oh hey, firehawk took a shit on it. By definition this means it was good.

Oh, it was. It really was.
The Giantbomb Endurance Run is probably better than the anime... and that's free and provides a hundred hours of entertainment.

Jex

jman2050 said:
Persona 4

Haven't played the game but just from my own expectations from my familiarity with the third game, so far so good.

The protagonist is the worst kind of cardboard cutout though. I mean yeah I guess that's faithful to the silent protag nature of the games but that doesn't quite work so well in an anime.
I think it's safe to say they're going to make the safest of safe choices with the adaptation.

NewFresh

Horizon Ep.1

Proof that baloon breasts can not make any anime good. Smugface was actually the highlight of the show :(

I should also mention the end credits:

2elxue9.gif

scy

Jintor said:
This actually sounds kind of interesting, you bastard

It also makes me want an anime adaption of Yandere Kanojo sooooooooooooo much, just because you said the word 'yankee'.

The manga for Boku wa Tomodachi blahblahblah is actually not bad, in a kind of parody/comedy with a harem element. The anime seems to want to sell the latter first, though :(

Also, yes to Yandere Kanojo adaptation.

One Piece 495

I like what the anime is doing to flesh out Luffy's relationship with Ace and Sabo. A lot of stuff was just implied in the manga, but you really get a feel for how they grow to see each other as brothers over time.

Enron

Banned
Tomodachi ga Sukunai - 1

I liked it. Sure its nothing new, but neither is 99% of anything else we watch. I was entertained.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I trust Jex since he had the same complaints about the english dub of Monster. I had to mute them in P3 too so I don't find it surprising.

Jex

Regulus Tera said:
You are no longer my senpai.
I have a pretty low tolerance for these things. Even pretty reasonable dubs just tend to have good actors for the mains, and then weaker ones for the side characters. I can't deal with that shit, it's inconsistent. But that's American dubbing on the smaller scales, I guess.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Penguin drum 13 - This was glorious, like episode 12 i feel as though I'm going haft to re-watch the earlier episodes now, because it completely changes the context of everything that happened to this point and also to a certain extent makes the tonal shift that is happening right now make perfect sense, I'm also starting to get a better idea for the type of direction they are taking the story now, sogood.gif.

Jintor

Jexhius said:
I have a pretty low tolerance for these things. Even pretty reasonable dubs just tend to have good actors for the mains, and then weaker ones for the side characters. I can't deal with that shit, it's inconsistent. But that's American dubbing on the smaller scales, I guess.

Are you American? I just ask because in general the heavy american accents on most anime bug the shit out of me as an Australian. Particularly on cute anime where the tendency is to equate everything to some weird pseudo-valley girl accent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom