• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lain said:
He does stupid things but I felt Shiro had a good reason to act as he did. The whole wanting to be a hero (like his father) and protecting people. Better for him to get hurt and suffer than for others to, especially if it is happening in front of his eyes.

But what does that do in the long run when he just gets chopped down, the person he should be "protecting" will still be in danger. It accomplishes nothing and he wastes his life (hes lucky he had that sheath)

Sounds more like a self sacrificial complex to me.

If he wants to protect then

1 Gain the strength to be able to protect
2 If not learn to work together and put your shitty pride away to achieve the intended goal.

Regulus Tera said:
But did it get any better after its sexy beginnings?
the answer to that is always "no"

NOPE
1318098343279.gif

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So remember what I told you about my imouto? She decided to watch none of the shit any of you dweebs recommended because "it looked too old" and went straight for Working!!.

I don't know how to feel about that.

Steroyd

Infinite Justice said:
Kill that fucking MC permanently and it would have been a better show.

I hate that fucking dumbass.

He turned Saber into a waifu quite litterally, even when she was capable of holding her own. :(

InfiniteNine said:
It's horrible if you haven't read Unlimited Blade Works and if you have then it's still pretty bad.
I've been meaning to finish that arc in the game, thanks for the heads up I'll just catch up with the game and forget the movie.

Regulus Tera said:
So remember what I told you about my imouto? She decided to watch none of the shit any of you dweebs recommended because "it looked too old" and went straight for Working!!.

Good choice :p

gunbo13

Infinite Justice said:
But what does that do in the long run when he just gets chopped down, the person he should be "protecting" will still be in danger. It accomplishes nothing and he wastes his life (hes lucky he had that sheath)

Sounds more like a self sacrificial complex to me.

If he wants to protect then

1 Gain the strength to be able to protect
2 If not learn to work together and put your shitty pride away to achieve the intended goal.
Unless you count the SS2 Gohan effect. "OMG Shiro No!" Hair stands up and goes noble phantasm level 3.

Can we just say that Shiro is suicidal?

Regulus Tera said:

Does she have
androphobia
? It could be educational.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Regulus Tera said:

Your sister is amazing. A fine anime fan.

cajunator

Banned
Regulus Tera said:

She shouldn't miss out on older stuff for a stupid reason like that, but working!! is a great show anyway.

And so is Squid Girl. In fact, fuck Working, make her watch Squid girl.

Lain

gunbo13 said:
That's not really a "good" reason though. It's a deranged one. Protection complexes are everywhere in manga/anime but they don't delve into complete nonsense all the time like Shiro. The person he is "saving" is basically a battle god. He's just a mentally damaged idiot.
For me it's naive, but logical (and thus acceptable as "good") given the premises.
For Shiro, a person getting hurt is wrong. Does it matter that Saber is able to fight, basically a ghost and strong while Shiro isn't able to fight, weak and could die?
From his point of view it doesn't, because it's better for him to get hurt than for other to suffer. He has a hero complex and that makes it a good enough reason for him to act the way he does, even if the way he acts is stupid and naive and for many people that makes him insufferable to watch.

NewFresh

Regulus Tera said:

Disown her.

zeroshiki

jman2050 said:
The problem with the FSN anime is that it adapted 30% of the story, which also happened to be the worst 30% by a mile.

Eh, they also adapted UBW into a movie and that was still pretty bad.

gunbo13

Lain said:
For me it's naive, but logical (and thus acceptable as "good") given the premises.
For Shiro, a person getting hurt is wrong. Does it matter that Saber is able to fight, basically a ghost and strong while Shiro isn't able to fight, weak and could die?
From his point of view it doesn't, because it's better for him to get hurt than for other to suffer. He has a hero complex and that makes it a good enough reason for him to act the way he does, even if the way he acts is stupid and naive and for many people that makes him insufferable to watch.
This is more semantics then anything. Within the context of a narrative it is a "good" reason. It's like Johan from Monster.
He is an absolute lunatic doing some extremely cruel stuff. But the narrative explains how his mind was warped. From a logic standpoint, Shiro doesn't have a "good" reason though and basically makes him crazy.

Do me a favor and spoiler my quote? Thanks bud.

Lain said:

Sounds like mental gymnastics to me. If he really wanted to protect people he would actually train himself to actually achieve that but instead his way of protection his for people to strike him down and take the pain. His method is warped as hell imo.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Working!! 01: The art style reminds me of K-ON!, but it doesn't suck shit. That episode was so fake though. Dude should have been breaking plates and fucking up orders. First days in a job are always hell.

All of the cast is pretty likable. also dat wan wan song

Fate/Zero 2
tumblr_lsrf73Qdjz1r0f4geo1_400.gif

I really like the quality and animation effects they used for several scenes of the episode. It looked gorgeous. I think I still enjoy the parts with Waver the most, I just hope he can identify a decent desire for what to use the grail for. Lastly, the entire portion with Ryuunosuke completely scared me, but he is my second favorite character.
Killing the kid via Chtulu was too intense

Though what exactly is the purpose of the grail war again, just a test of strength that occurs every century or something?

Lain

Infinite Justice said:
Sounds like mental gymnastics to me. If he really wanted to protect people he would actually train himself to actually achieve that but instead his way of protection his for people to strike him down and take the pain. His method is warped as hell imo.
Well, he does train to fight to be able to protect people and take the place of his servant in battle at some point, though he sucks too much so the only thing he can think of is to be a meat shield.
His method is warped, his actions foolish, but as far as his reason, I just can't help it, I find it "good" because of the way Shiro is presented to us. If he acted in a different way, I think his childish and naive hero complex wouldn't have the same weight.
More than his reason for acting the way he does being good or not, I think what's bad is that even though he is scolded by Saber, mocked by Archer and told off by Rin, Shiro doesn't get that wanting to protect is good, getting killed off is stupid.

Geneijin

cajunator said:
So wait, Fate Zero is actually good?
I thought you guys hated Fate/Stay night whatever.
Personally I loved the first series.
I thought the 1st episode was bad, but the series still had potential despite that.

Fate/Stay Night was bad, but Fate/Zero is not by DEEN.

Hela

Is Fate/Zero worth checking out if I thought Fate/Night was boring as fuck?
If so - should I just rewind through episode 1 and just start from the 2nd one?

Geneijin

Hela said:
Is Fate/Zero worth checking up if I thought Fate/Night was boring as fuck?
Yes. It's not by DEEN at least. Although be wary of the 1st episode and see the 2nd one before you think about dropping the series or not.

Fate/Zero 2:
Another strong episode with a lot of time focused on character development. There's not quite as much here as last time due to the shorter running time, but several of the characters get fleshed out further, and we get some new and interesting folks, too. Rider is truly a man's man. The scene with Ryuunosuke and Caster was extremely tense and creepy, and did a great job setting up both characters.

cajunator

Banned
Regulus Tera said:
Working!! 01: The art style reminds me of K-ON!, but it doesn't suck shit. That episode was so fake though. Dude should have been breaking plates and fucking up orders. First days in a job are always hell.

All of the cast is pretty likable. also dat wan wan song
DAT SKA MUSIC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPoZ6JFO2U8

Also, why the hell did NISA license and release it as "Wagnaria"? Why not just call it "Working" like it is actually called? The cafe is called Wagnaria but I didn't recognize it when I first saw the box.

cajunator

Banned
Speaking of the NISA boxsets, they are lovely and you should all buy some.
The artbooks are a fantastic touch and the printed artwork is high quality. They had a bad run with Our homes fox Deity volume 2 and promptly replaced it via an online program. I have nothing but great things to say about how they have started out as an anime distributor. I just hope all the expenses don't kill them prematurely.

Lain

Shouta said:
The fighting isn't bad but it's not great otherwise.
Fights are the only reason I want to watch it, so that's sorta reassuring.
Hellsing321 said:
The fight scenes are pretty good from what little I watched but one of the characters has a voice like nails on a chalkboard so I was forced to bail.
Was it the midget?

Dresden

Infinite Justice said:
True but something had to give imo. Or make archer actually kill him like he planned and cause some paradox.
actually killing off shirou wouldn't do anything to archer, it'd just eliminate shirou's potential to become archer later down the road in that particular timeline

Geneijin

scy said:
The original synopsis of the show itself says they moved to the upper world/Tenjo to leave the devastated Earth behind; after it falls (?), it seems the Earth is reduced to the small portion of good land and the rest is deemed uninhabitable.

But, that's from the synopsis of it rather than directly stated in the show.
Yeah, that's true. Either the synopsis is still correct and the anime forgot, the synopsis is based on the novels and the anime changed the story a bit, or the episode chose not to reveal that detail for now.

Yeah, I think I got it backwards. It's just worded a bit awkwardly and I assumed something I shouldn't. The Harmonic Divine States are created and then they start rewriting history from the start. Just kind of put in that the two were related. That and it makes more sense, to me, to go through the re-construction of time in the sealed bubble world rather than the "real" world.
That's what I thought so too originally. More sensible and all, but from what's told in the ending credits, that doesn't seem to be the case strangely enough. However, I will say because the Harmonic Divine States is practically a copy of the Divine States, we may very well see dimensional copies of characters.
This also opens the possibility of Horizon returning in some form.

I'm curious how this convoluted back story will play into things, though. I mean, I hope there's some rationale for it with the story since they could have used "foreigners invaded our lands and kicked us out" since that's essentially the summation of the plot. Instead, we have an alternate world created that become the invaders; I just wonder if the extra layer (or two) of complication really does anything.
Actually, technically, they are foreigners since they came from the Harmonic Divine States and were never natives to the Divine States world.

As to whether the complication adds anything or not, I say it could if they bother to utilize it as one example above I state above wouldn't be possible any other way without witchcraft.

sonicmj1

scy said:
I'm curious how this convoluted back story will play into things, though. I mean, I hope there's some rationale for it with the story since they could have used "foreigners invaded our lands and kicked us out" since that's essentially the summation of the plot. Instead, we have an alternate world created that become the invaders; I just wonder if the extra layer (or two) of complication really does anything.

It means that they can put a feudal Japanese fighting anime into their shonen fighting school anime.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
darkside31337 said:
Legal issues is the most likely culprit. That and googling Working does absolutely nothing to bring the show up on a search.
Everyone keeps saying that it's because there was a sitcom called Working here. No idea if that's actually true though.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Fate/zero 2 - Wow I'm actually impressed, this was a really good episode, while I'm still not a fan of the Typemoon dialogue, the way they delivered it here was actually enjoyable with very good character animation and some solid direction, the plotting and setting still remain pretty intriguing (as they were in episode 1) as well. I can't believe it, but i think I'm going stick with this series for the long-run, especially since it has the feeling that some EPIC SHIT is going go down later on.:eek:

Persona 4 1:
Meh. Persona 4 is one of my favorite games, but this was a really mediocre adaptation. They rushed through way too much story in one episode, and a lot of important stuff (including just about everything involving Namatame and Mayumi) was left out, which will make the story rather confusing for people who haven't played the game. This really feels like it should have been two episodes rather than one. I also felt like the day transitions from the game felt pretty out of place in the show. It's an idea that works well in games, but feels silly in anime. Still, they used the game's soundtrack well, and there were definitely some scenes that worked well, I just felt like the show was on fast forward way too much. This is a story that needs time to breath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom