• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
firehawk12 said:
Everyone keeps saying that it's because there was a sitcom called Working here. No idea if that's actually true though.

According to wikipedia and epguides.com there was

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Working_(TV_series)

http://epguides.com/Working/

was made by NBC from 97 and ended in 99.

actually killing off shirou wouldn't do anything to archer, it'd just eliminate shirou's potential to become archer later down the road in that particular timeline

Oh i thought he still had some effect. Well in that case he should have done it then to save himself from the crushing disappointment.

scy

Geneijin said:
However, I will say because the Harmonic Divine States is practically a copy of the Divine States, we may very well see dimensional copies of characters.
This also opens the possibility of Horizon returning in some form.
The only "issue" I have with that is wasn't the Harmonic Divine States created like ... 11000 years of History prior? I mean, there doesn't seem to be a timeline for how long it took them to go back through History so I don't know what precisely went around so I suppose it's highly probable
to have different outcome versions of the main cast, despite how many years of a "different" history going.

Probably a safe bet that this will happen eventually, honestly. Seems like the setup is built with the intention of it.

Actually, technically, they are foreigners since they came from the Harmonic Divine States and were never natives to the Divine States world.

Must have missed that bit, I guess.

As to whether the complication adds anything or not, I say it could if they bother to utilize it as one example above I state above wouldn't be possible any other way without witchcraft.

I really hope they do something with it, just as justification for making us have to figure this plot out. Be kind of a massive cop out if this isn't used for anything tangible ... though I don't really expect them to not utilize it. Just hope it feels "worth" the setup.

Still, convoluted plots seem to be something I enjoy so I'm in it for the long haul to see how things pan out.

Anyway, Persona 4: The Animation 01 ... I hope the breakneck pace is for the setup phases of the game and it slows down. There's a lot of game to go through and this pace is rather ridiculous.

Though, looking at the animation quality, I wonder if they even have the budget to do much with this. Oh well. At least it's better quality than the in-game scenes, I guess?

Also, Rise fasterrrrrr~

DiGiKerot

Mardock Scramble - The Second Combustion - In a conclusion even more visceral and exciting than that of The First Compression,
they spend half an hour playing Blackjack and Roulette.

T'was decent enough. It's a far gaudier movie than the first due to the nature of it's locales, but the animation quality isn't necessarily what I'd consider "better" - it's still more OAV than movie quality for the most part, and the CG effects still look like plastic. Ends marginally better than the The First Compression, not that it's a difficult proposition to do so.

Balot spends marginally more of this film clothed than she did in the first.

Lain

Airmaster 1-5

So cheap looking, badly directed, silly to the top. The fights are good enough though, and I'm laughing at both the technical quality as well as the stupidity of the plot(?) so far.
In a certain sense, it reminds me of Air Gear (without the cool music).

Infinite Justice said:
the most grating thing was the sound he made when he seemed angry because no one gives a shit about his stupid opinion.

Now imagine if she wasn't held back by that dumbass.

should have made Rin summon her like originally planned

If I remember correctly, back when they were still planning FSN and King Arthur hadn't been gender flipped yet Rin was to summon Gilgamesh.

And I too enjoyed the first series.

Geneijin

scy said:
The only "issue" I have with that is wasn't the Harmonic Divine States created like ... 11000 years of History prior? I mean, there doesn't seem to be a timeline for how long it took them to go back through History so I don't know what precisely went around so I suppose it's highly probable
to have different outcome versions of the main cast, despite how many years of a "different" history going.
One of the main problems of the story certainly although you could already claim it took an equivalent time (11,000 years) because the narration talks about reenacting/reliving history, and the word "relive" implies as much that it took however long.

Of course, if there are missing details yet revealed, the "foreigners" from the Harmonic Divine States might have been former citizens/minorities from Far East instead who were forced to live in the Harmonic Divine States, saw an opportunity, banded together, and took over the Divine States and divided up the land amongst themselves when the Harmonic Divine States fell.

Speculah again.

I really hope they do something with it, just as justification for making us have to figure this plot out. Be kind of a massive cop out if this isn't used for anything tangible ... though I don't really expect them to not utilize it. Just hope it feels "worth" the setup.
With how poorly it was told in the 1st episode, I'm not expecting much "worth" out of the setup, but I do at least appreciate there being some context as to why the setting is what it is.

Still, convoluted plots seem to be something I enjoy so I'm in it for the long haul to see how things pan out.
Well, it's certainly amusing to decipher it. For me anyway.

Pachael

Hela said:
Is Fate/Zero worth checking out if I thought Fate/Night was boring as fuck?
If so - should I just rewind through episode 1 and just start from the 2nd one?

If you like the KnK / Garden of Sinners movies, yes, certainly.

Fate 2

The first one spoiled me. I wanted more, and then BAM! it's over. Having just seen the first one today didn't help either. It's gonna be a long week.

Rider is awesome, and Caster looks fun.

gunbo13

firehawk12 said:
BokuTomo 1: Hey, trashy harem with the Derpa character designers (dem full, full, lips). Anime is still saved!
The manga is a fun read. But I did just watch eps 00 and 01. Character designs...ughhhhhh.

So far I've sampled 4 new shows and have 0 new shows I like. It's time for Ika-chan to save the day. It's ironic a squid can remove all this saltiness.

Risette

A Good Citizen
icarus-daedelus said:
It's the only thing from the OP that caught my eye but noitaminA has been really shaky lately, so who knows.
BONES + Seiji Mizushima/Shou Aikawa killer combo. Believe.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
gunbo13 said:
The manga is a fun read. But I did just watch eps 00 and 01. Character designs...ughhhhhh.

So far I've sampled 4 new shows and have 0 new shows I like. It's time for Ika-chan to save the day. It's ironic a squid can remove all this saltiness.
Monday is still the best anime day!

----

Wagnaria!!!!!!```!!! 2: The production values are higher, but suddenly the show feels a lot more sitcomey that the previous season. They're taking what are mostly like 4 panel jokes and trying to weave them into the A, B, C plot structure of a sitcom. Not really sure how I feel about it, but I guess I don't hate it at least.

Bakuman 2 ep 2
tumblr_lss0pzsH261qbxqfpo1_500.png

The drama this section was pretty intense. I had almost forgot the feelings of when I was swiftly rushing through the corresponding manga chapters, and the anime delivered the suspense quite well. Now that that is out of the way, the anime can get back to Detective Trap.

Spice and Wolf - Fin

Thoroughly enjoyed it. While the presentation may not be anything noteworthy (either good or bad, and considering how easy it is to screw these things up I'll count my blessings), the writing drawn from the source material is strong enough to carry the show. The intrigue and machinations of the plot are interesting themselves, but what shines out the most is how the relationship between Lawrence and Holo slowly develops into one of friendly, amusing banter between equals who know they are not equals, who trust and respect each other for their strengths and support each other during their weaknesses. I look forward to the second season and will likely seek out the original light novels. It's too bad the English translations are so far behind the recently finished series.

iavi

Working'!! 2

This was a ton of damn fun. The scenes involving Otoo killed me.

firehawk12 said:
Wagnaria!!!!!!```!!! 2: The production values are higher, but suddenly the show feels a lot more sitcomey that the previous season. They're taking what are mostly like 4 panel jokes and trying to weave them into the A, B, C plot structure of a sitcom. Not really sure how I feel about it, but I guess I don't hate it at least.

It really does, I agree. But I dig their execution. A lot of it is pretty subdued, but it doesn't feel as if they're padding 4koma jokes, imo. It's weirdly un-anime, as much as it incredibly anime, if that makes any sense, lol.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Miri said:
It really does, I agree. But I dig their execution. A lot of it is pretty subdued, but it doesn't feel as if they're padding 4koma jokes, imo. It's weirdly un-anime, as much as it incredibly anime, if that makes any sense, lol.
It's like I'm watching Friends and I'm waiting for Joey to make a comment to show how stupid he is and Chandler to say something that makes him a smart ass. There's that weird sitcom rhythm where you basically see the character reactions being choreographed right before your eyes.

----
Chihaya Furu 1: I think I might like this? I suppose karuta is at least classy so it can't be too trashy anyway.

iavi

firehawk12 said:
It's like I'm watching Friends and I'm waiting for Joey to make a comment to show how stupid he is and Chandler to say something that makes him a smart ass. There's that weird sitcom rhythm where you basically see the character reactions being choreographed right before your eyes.

Yeah, the wiring is incredibly evident, though; it's a comedy, man. It's not bothering me at all. In these cases, I find that the predictability actually adds to the show. It's not like any serious development is going to be had with any of them, so I almost feel as if taking that other extreme is necessary in order to provide even the smallest sense of depth. They all have their already established quirks, and aren't going to operate much outside of that window. We, as the viewer, get to know that much about them, and I find that to work perfectly well in context.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ika Musume S1 12:

You are (not) alone.

Really cute ending. The ending, like the show itself, is a bit hokey but it's all in good fun and
Ika with short hair, so damn hnnnng.

Not the best show by any means but it's just a fun comedic show that's thoroughly enjoyable to watch even if it's not really spectacular in any regard.

Onto S2! I am glad to be part of the inkvasion.

Instro

Fate/Zero 2
See Ep.1 was a great set up opening to the show. This week was really solid, Rider is a true manly man
It's Alexander the Great yes? and the introduction of Caster and his master was perfect.

Assassin's bit at the end was kind of funny, totally reminded me of that laser dancing scene in Ocean's 12. He got fucked up badly though.

Also this week is far more animated. Combined with the nice looking backgrounds, and the great character art, the show overall is very pleasing to look at. This show has a great atmosphere too, the music and dialouge help out immensely as well. Along with the interesting characters and plot, it all goes together to create a pretty compelling show for me.

Love that OP too. This show is cool shit. Faith in episode 1 vindicated. I9 crow stew for dinner.

Toriko 26

So the final of the 3 evil dudes in the OP show's himself. Let's see what he can do. Seems like we got a nice villain group this arc with the possession guy and the frozen guy.

New ED is alright. The song is...interesting.

Hunter x Hunter 2

This Hunter Exam is crazy elaborate. And we haven't even gotten to the actual exam yet!

I like Leorio, but his comic relief nature is being stressed a little too heavily for my tastes. I hope they tone it down or I can see him becoming annoying.

The ED doesn't seem to fit with the wide-eyed boy's adventure tone the show in general has; it'll be interesting to see how much it ends up going in the darker direction the ED seems to indicate.

Ezalc

HxH remake 2
Well I started watching the original last week after seeing the first episode of the remake. I'm on episode 35 of the original series so now I can see the differences between it and the remake. This second episode skips a shit ton of stuff too damn. Goddamn what the fuck has Ash been feeding Pikachu?! What the fuck man they totally messed with how Kurapica and Leorio passed the exam.

trejo

Fate/Zero 2

Not as bad as the first one but it still didn't quite sit right with me and I honestly don't think I'll be following either way. I'm giving it one more episode before bailing out for good.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Miri said:
Yeah, the wiring is incredibly evident, though; it's a comedy, man. It's not bothering me at all. In these cases, I find that the predictability actually adds to the show. It's not like any serious development is going to be had with any of them, so I almost feel as if taking that other extreme is necessary in order to provide even the smallest sense of depth. They all have their already established quirks, and aren't going to operate much outside of that window. We, as the viewer, get to know that much about them, and I find that to work perfectly well in context.

It's not that it's predictable, just that it feels very different. Compare to like, say, Squid Girl, which goes for a single joke per segment or Gintama where the jokes come directly from the characters themselves. Here the jokes come from the sitcomey moments that happen when the characters bump into each other - the equivalent of laughing when Kramer opens the door to Jerry's apartment.

---

Bento 1: I have no idea what this show is about, but this seems like it'll be this season's Highschool of the Dead.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Working'!! 2

Huge fan of what they're doing with the show this time around.

The show is more subdued in terms of visual and audio content and it's extending into the actual show as well. It still has the same Working zaniness of the past but it's toned down and feels like a show with an actual point to it instead of padded filler all over the place which is what S1 felt like. The humor in this season is so nuanced compared to how the previous season went. The contrast in the two seasons thus far really doesn't make a whole lot of sense but I definitely prefer the latter season in every possible way thus far.

Poor Otoo :(. Probably won't see him till the end of the season as he will want to get far far away from Yamada. He's never going to find his wife either. Such a poor pitiful existence.

Branduil

jman2050 said:
Fictional characters do not talk like real people, news at 11.

It's even more baffling a complaint in this case because they're clearly going for a very theatrical (actual theater, not cinema) type of presentation for this show. It makes perfect sense in that context.
It's more important to establish believable and consistent patterns of speech than realistic, I think. Of course it depends to some degree on what you're going for. Penguin Drum isn't trying to be a realistic drama.

trejo

Working'!! 2

I agree with firehawk that the comedy this time around feels very deliberately sitcom-ish in a way. I think this and Squid Girl S2 will be my entertaining and inoffensive shows of choice for this season.

Ezalc

Ben-To 1
One Bento to rule them all, One Bento to find them,
One Bento to bring them all and in their hunger satisfy them.

Branduil

Regulus Tera said:
So remember what I told you about my imouto? She decided to watch none of the shit any of you dweebs recommended because "it looked too old" and went straight for Working!!.

I don't know how to feel about that.
Dennou Coil looked too old?

Geneijin said:
Yeah, it's really the ending credits that makes the earlier exposition more confusing yet adds context.

I would actually disagree with some of your interpretation because with the information they currently provided us with, it's suggested that:

1.) The Earth becomes shit because the upper world/Tenjo fell, not because the Earth was already shit although it could have already been shit when they moved to the upper world/Tenjo but they never state this
That happens before anything that they talk about in the episode, so that they didn't mention it means nothing. I'm sure that that is indeed what happened in the anime too.

and 2.) Unless it's a mistranslation, they actually don't create an alternate world and use it to rewrite history. They actually reenact/rewrite/relive history in the present (Divine States) using the book Testament, not the alternate world or in it (Harmonic Divine States). At least, with the information given for now :lol

So yeah, Sunrise...
Yeah.

Tori will be the main focus of the story for obvious reasons, but the teacher, Sakai, remarks in his conversation the world will revolve around Musashi and the Far East. And while we already know the ship is called Musashi, it's also somewhat interesting to note Musashi is the name of the woman he's talking to too. This Musashi was also the one who did the public announcement after the opening. What her role is or how big it is remains to be seen obviously, but her influence seems big enough.

In short, speculah.
Woman? Which woman? But yeah, because Tori is the main character, I would expect him to be the central figure in the story.

I can't think of another analogy besides it being a mechanic of time travel (curses), but yes, it isn't time travel.
Good. Why do you need to be so confusing about it then? Just because the source material is?

It's change a bit since like I wouldn't call the Divine State the bad future. It's their present. And the Harmonic Divine States isn't the rewritten history. It's practically a copy of their original world, the Divine States, so they can go back and resume from the start again if they fuck up, which they did. Also, one last thing I changed since was that the people occupying the Divine States in the anime are from the Harmonic Divine States, not from the rewritten history project.
The Harmonic Divine States is the people from the fallen colonies/floating continents/whatever restarting the history-remaking project that the Divine States, the people who had been there before had been doing since the restarted 10,000 BC or whatever, had been doing before the collapse and the war. I don't understand where your merging timelines/alternate versions of people stuff comes from, I don't see that at all in the story.

Again, I can't think of another analogy (yeah, sorry), but yeah, the analogy is just to illustrate the Divine States and Harmonic Divine States have merged into 1 world/1 dimension basically. There aren't any multiple timelines involved in the story.
I think it's just the ground and things in the sky above it though, not alternate realities or something like that... you make it sound more confusing than I think it needs to be.

Well, I do!
No, you seem to care somewhat about the story too. :)

scy said:
The original synopsis of the show itself says they moved to the upper world/Tenjo to leave the devastated Earth behind; after it falls (?), it seems the Earth is reduced to the small portion of good land and the rest is deemed uninhabitable.

But, that's from the synopsis of it rather than directly stated in the show.
This is certainly true.

Yeah, I think I got it backwards. It's just worded a bit awkwardly and I assumed something I shouldn't. The Harmonic Divine States are created and then they start rewriting history from the start. Just kind of put in that the two were related. That and it makes more sense, to me, to go through the re-construction of time in the sealed bubble world rather than the "real" world.
It is worded very poorly. For instance I thought after watching the show that the people on the Musashi were the descendants of the sky people who had fallen to earth, for instance, and that the people who had been on the ground before were in charge, but in fact it's the exact opposite.

Apart from that, though, you also see the Harmonic Divine States as literally an alternate reality, or a simultaneous re-creation along with the ground, or something? I just don't think that makes any sense, and don't see backing for that in what little we know of the plot... can either of you prove this, and/or explain it better? But no, I think that only the people on the ground, the Divine States, were running the history reinactment. The later-to-be Harmonic Divine States people in the sky were not. Oh, and the reason why they had had the split was because
there wasn't enough land on the ground for all of the people returning to earth, given that this was the only habitable land on Earth. So they set up the sky colonies or whatever they are for the rest of the people. I believe this is the story, myself.

Oh, and after the war, once the Harmonic Divine States took over the ground, they restarted from where the project had left off, essentially.

I'm curious how this convoluted back story will play into things, though. I mean, I hope there's some rationale for it with the story since they could have used "foreigners invaded our lands and kicked us out" since that's essentially the summation of the plot. Instead, we have an alternate world created that become the invaders; I just wonder if the extra layer (or two) of complication really does anything.
Heh, yeah, that sort of is what happened, the people split a long time ago, and now one group has conquered the other. But as far as the anime goes, yeah, who knows how much of the depth will matter. We'll have to see.

Geneijin said:
Yeah, that's true. Either the synopsis is still correct and the anime forgot, the synopsis is based on the novels and the anime changed the story a bit, or the episode chose not to reveal that detail for now.
The anime doesn't need to have forgotten, they just didn't explain all of the thousands of years of backstory in episode 1.

That's what I thought so too originally. More sensible and all, but from what's told in the ending credits, that doesn't seem to be the case strangely enough. However, I will say because the Harmonic Divine States is practically a copy of the Divine States, we may very well see dimensional copies of characters.
This also opens the possibility of Horizon returning in some form.
As I've said above, I don't think that that is the case at all.
Though I do think Horizon will return, yes, as I've said before.

Actually, technically, they are foreigners since they came from the Harmonic Divine States and were never natives to the Divine States world.
True. And they are oppressing the natives, as we hear about in ep. 1.

As to whether the complication adds anything or not, I say it could if they bother to utilize it as one example above I state above wouldn't be possible any other way without witchcraft.
We'll see, I'm sure.

scy said:
I mean, you could be right, but I'm not convinced.

Probably a safe bet that this will happen eventually, honestly. Seems like the setup is built with the intention of it.
I know I say it several times above in this post, but darnit,
I just don't see this dimensional clones/alternate version of the history project thing at all in the series.

Well, the two groups have been divided for a long time, as you say earlier, so it's easy to understand why they'd consider each other foreigners.

Heh... yeah, with how complex it is I do hope that the backstory matters somehow. :)

Articalys

Tamayura OVA

Very peaceful and soothing. Which leads into...

Tamayura ~hitotose~ 1

...which so far is a prequel of sorts and is equally charming. Will be a nice series to watch if I need something calm and adorable.

At any rate, I can see why you all like the Aria series so much if it's from the same guy as this.

Defuser

Working'!! ep 2:
Damn this has exceeded my expectations. Too awesome and Poplar is really darn cute HNNNNNNNNGGGGG!!! That Takanashi's smirk!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom