• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Shakugan no Shana III Final Episode 01:
Looks like someone kicked JC Staff in the ass and told them to do it right and it worked! Looking forward to see how this progresses.
Yuuji becoming part of Bal Masque should have interesting results.

Fate/Zero Episode 02:
Looks like things are getting kicked off now. It's always entertaining to see some servant master relations and since we got some good heroes with a rich history it should be pretty entertaining.
Still need to see a few more of the servants but great showing so far.

Articalys

duckroll said:
http://www.lupin-3rd.net/2011/10/tv-122900-mermaid-the-last-jobtv.html

The new Lupin TV project appears to be just a TV movie that will air on Dec 2. The subtitle is Blood Seal ~Eternal Mermaid~. ANN has some details on the supporting cast getting new voice actors, but who cares, here's the STAFF!

Director/Storyboard: Teiichi Takiguchi
Script: Michihiro Tsuchiya
Animation Director/Character Design: Yoshiharu Sato
Music: Yuji Ohno

Lol.
Can you perhaps clarify why this is "lol" for those of us without an encyclopedic knowledge of anime directors/animators/etc?

duckroll

Articalys said:
Can you perhaps clarify why this is "lol" for those of us without an encyclopedic knowledge of anime directors/animators/etc?

Lol because I'm mocking 7th (who is still banned lololol) for getting all PUMPED UP by bullshit twitter rumors about how Koike or Imaishi or whatever fucking dumbass cult niche anime staff shitbags might be working on the new Lupin. Self-ownage even when banned!

gunbo13 said:
Ah yea, the noitamin. I'll add, thanks.

Last Exile...IDK. I am a huge fan of the original but no Claus/Lavie seems blasphemous
Watch it, I think it's going to be good, if the first couple chapters of the manga version are any indication...

And Dio is in it, if not the other characters.

gunbo13 said:
Rin x Saber
magical circuit exchange?
Would burn into retinas.
Which thing from the series was it which actually had Rin x Saber? Something did... and yeah, that is the best team.

Shiro is one of the worst protagonists ever.
Who the hell jumps in front of Saber against Hercules? If I was him I'd let the girl fight. She's a super saiyan and Shiro is a namek peasant. Go to the corner and trace.
Seriously, yes. Shirou is one of the worst anime protagonists ever, no question. He's just a complete, brain-dead moron. Sexist, stupid, unable to learn anything, pretty much worthless, etc, you name a problem and he's probably got it. And that's maybe the biggest problem with the FSN anime, HE's the main character. It made actually watching the thing somewhat intolerable, even though I liked some other things about the series (the backstory, some of the other characters, etc.).
'
Lain said:
That is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Saber > Rin > Sakura.
Rin > Saber > Sakura.

gunbo13 said:
Yea, I meant that in a good way. More like a yuri
magic exchange...
I'm fine with that.
Sounds better than the ones involving Shirou!

That's what drives me crazy about FSN.
Shiro has the worst protection complex in anime. Yet, he is weak and absolutely stupid to boot. I get sacrifice to save someone. That doesn't work here because why does Shiro getting slaughtered save anyone? I also get using your power to save someone. Shiro though is only a slab of meat who can make weapons on the BACK-LINE.
It doesn't save anyone, it just proves once again how big of an idiot he is, though that, of course, is quite obvious from the beginning...

Supposedly in the VN he's a little better in some of the other paths, but still, Shirou is an idiot.

jman2050 said:
The problem with the FSN anime is that it adapted 30% of the story, which also happened to be the worst 30% by a mile.
They did a movie about one of the other paths too, though.

Lain said:
He does stupid things but I felt Shiro had a good reason to act as he did. The whole wanting to be a hero (like his father) and protecting people. Better for him to get hurt and suffer than for others to, especially if it is happening in front of his eyes.
He thinks he has reasons, but they are completely stupid. Understanding is not condoning, and there's just about no way to condone his level of stupidity I think.

gunbo13 said:
That's not really a "good" reason though. It's a deranged one.
Protection complexes are everywhere in manga/anime but they don't delve into complete nonsense all the time like Shiro. The person he is "saving" is basically a battle god.
But she's female and I might like her, so she is a weak female (because all females are weak, ignore reality) I must protect her. Shirou is unbelievably sexist, even by anime standards, which is REALLY saying something.

The usual exuse is that he's actually doing it because he likes her and wants to protect her because of that and that he doesn't treat all other female characters the same way he does Saber, but whether or not that is true, it doesn't make his actions any less stupid, or any less stupid.

Infinite Justice said:
But what does that do in the long run when he just gets chopped down, the person he should be "protecting" will still be in danger. It accomplishes nothing and he wastes his life (hes lucky he had that sheath)

Sounds more like a self sacrificial complex to me.

If he wants to protect then

1 Gain the strength to be able to protect
2 If not learn to work together and put your shitty pride away to achieve the intended goal.
Things like those would require him actually thinking, though. That's not something he does very often... :p

Lain said:
For me it's naive, but logical (and thus acceptable as "good") given the premises.
For Shiro, a person getting hurt is wrong. Does it matter that Saber is able to fight, basically a ghost and strong while Shiro isn't able to fight, weak and could die?
From his point of view it doesn't, because it's better for him to get hurt than for other to suffer. He has a hero complex and that makes it a good enough reason for him to act the way he does, even if the way he acts is stupid and naive and for many people that makes him insufferable to watch.
Of course it matters, getting pointlessly killed defending someone much stronger than you are serves absolutely no purpose...

Lain said:
Well, he does train to fight to be able to protect people and take the place of his servant in battle at some point, though he sucks too much so the only thing he can think of is to be a meat shield.
His method is warped, his actions foolish, but as far as his reason, I just can't help it, I find it "good" because of the way Shiro is presented to us. If he acted in a different way, I think his childish and naive hero complex wouldn't have the same weight.
More than his reason for acting the way he does being good or not, I think what's bad is that even though he is scolded by Saber, mocked by Archer and told off by Rin, Shiro doesn't get that wanting to protect is good, getting killed off is stupid.
If he acted in a different way, the show might actually be tolerable, and Shirou might not be one of the worst protagonists ever in anime... yes, I think that sounds like a good thing to wish for myself.

I do, however, certainly agree on the final point. His inability to learn things like that is certainly one of the signs of his problems as a character. I know that anime MCs are usually supposed to be stupid, but Shirou takes it to a whole new level, and not in a good way, except maybe as a comic example of where the anime MC goes when you take the "stupid but determined" character type that anime MCs so often are to a logical extreme... :)

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
duckroll said:
Lol because I'm mocking 7th (who is still banned lololol) for getting all PUMPED UP by bullshit twitter rumors about how Koike or Imaishi or whatever fucking dumbass cult niche anime staff shitbags might be working on the new Lupin. Self-ownage even when banned!
But but it's only a TV movie. We have no idea whether the staff will cross-over for the TV series next year!

So what was GAF's opinion on Highschool of the Dead? I just got done marthoning it off on Netflick streaming. Make no mistake it's awful, but it's hilariously awful. I love fanservice and pretty much all the action scenes were hilariously over the top. It was well done trash in my opinion.

scy

Geneijin said:
One of the main problems of the story certainly although you could already claim it took an equivalent time (11,000 years) because the narration talks about reenacting/reliving history, and the word "relive" implies as much that it took however long.

Yeah, I'm a little puzzled at how long it's really been. They've gone through 11,000 years of history which is a rather long stretch of time. Considering how dire thing seem to be, I can't imagine they've actually been sitting around for 11,000 years rewriting/reliving history at a 1:1 rate.

With how poorly it was told in the 1st episode, I'm not expecting much "worth" out of the setup, but I do at least appreciate there being some context as to why the setting is what it is.

True :/ We'll see, I suppose.

Well, it's certainly amusing to decipher it. For me anyway.

I kind of hope they have background story narration every credit roll. Not because we need the info dump, just because it's stupid and needs to be repeated.

A Black Falcon said:
Apart from that, though, you also see the Harmonic Divine States as literally an alternate reality, or a simultaneous re-creation along with the ground, or something? I just don't think that makes any sense, and don't see backing for that in what little we know of the plot... can either of you prove this, and/or explain it better?

The synopsis seems to indicate it. The basic timeline is:

Humans on Earth, yay!
Humans get advanced and move to the skies; this aerial world/land is referred to as "Tenjo."
Bad stuff happens and Tenjo crashes back to Earth; however, only a small amount of land "Shinshu" is habitable.
The land is too small to house everyone so "Juso Sekai" is created in a parallel world.
They begin rewriting History from 10,000 BC.
At 1413, war breaks out in "Shinshu" that ultimately causes the collapse of "Juso Sekai"; the residents of "Juso Sekai" invade "Shinshu" and divvy it up amongst themselves.
Try to pick up rewriting of History at 1457 AD but more shit hits the fan.

That said, the show seems to contradict it a bit? Or at least leaves a lot of it out? The start is the same (Earth -> Tenjou -> Back to Earth -> Shinshu). The oddity is the wording on the history bit; the anime credit roll, at least for the translation I have in front of me, seems to indicated they copied ... their History? ("...they rewrote their old history Sefu into a new history named Sinshuu and made copies called Jushou Shinshuu"). Same terminology but there's a lot of mishmash on things. I think I need to start comparing translations or something :/

firehawk12 said:
Bento 1: I have no idea what this show is about, but this seems like it'll be this season's Highschool of the Dead.

In the good way or the bad way?

Anyway, Shakugan no Shana Final - 01 starts off with a bang. For those who kind of sort of remember what the hell was going on before this. With less of a break between seasons, the whole
sudden loss of Yuji would have made for a pretty good finale reveal
. Oh well, they seem to try to cover that lost ground in the first episode so there's that.

I'm actually looking forward to this a bit now that I've seen the first episode; the arc itself is rather interesting so J.C. Staff will disappoint me perfectly now that my expectations have been raised. Plus I like the OP/ED.

Word of note, I'm pretty sure the final novel just released recently so there's spoilers abound on that. For the two other people who'd even Google it. I just hope that the Light Novel ending ends up being the anime ending. I mean, this is basically timed with the release of the final novel so not using it seems kind of silly.

...but then again, Shana second season.

Rahxephon91 said:
So what was GAF's opinion on Highschool of the Dead? I just got done marthoning it off on Netflick streaming. Make no mistake it's awful, but it's hilariously awful. I love fanservice and pretty much all the action scenes were hilariously over the top. It was well done trash in my opinion.
It was somewhat popular for its fanservice and stupidity. I dropped it in the first episode, though. As did some other people, for various reasons.

Branduil said:
Dennou Coil looked too old?

Despite not liking it, I think that's a weird complaint.

Hunter x Hunter R 2

Looks like they're slowing down, but only slightly. Rather than covering 3 episodes, this one covered 2. Still a break-neck speed and they cut out the bus scene which I kind of liked :/. It also didn't show what happened to the guy that answered the quiz wrong which hopefully isn't alluding to significant censorship. We should find out in a few episodes, but I'm still not convinced considering the ED.

Looks like they're gonna slow down a bit based on the preview for the next episode. Let's see how that goes.

Instro

Ben-to 1
Yep that was fun. Will watch, but I hope the MC gets better at fighting. He's got the balls, just lacks the skill.

Geneijin

A Black Falcon said:
Woman? Which woman? But yeah, because Tori is the main character, I would expect him to be the central figure in the story.
ZhWBx.jpg

It's just speculation name association = level of importance from me.

Good. Why do you need to be so confusing about it then? Just because the source material is?
Because there was enough evidence to suggest some form of time travel even if it isn't explicitly stated as such.

The Harmonic Divine States is the people from the fallen colonies/floating continents/whatever restarting the history-remaking project that the Divine States, the people who had been there before had been doing since the restarted 10,000 BC or whatever, had been doing before the collapse and the war. I don't understand where your merging timelines/alternate versions of people stuff comes from, I don't see that at all in the story.
Nope. It's explicitly stated that the Harmonic Divine States is the copy, and the Divine States is the real world/present unless it's a mistranslation. The Divine States are the people from the fallen colonies/floating continents unless stated otherwise later. What kind of people the Harmonic Divine States consist of isn't yet known

The Harmonic Divine States isn't restarting the history-remaking project at all. They are copy the Divine States created in case things they fuck up except they did but they couldn't restart from their save file - the Harmonic Divine States - although the reason why they created the Harmonic Divine States is still left to speculation. Either way, their failure caused the Harmonic Divine States to either fall/destroy itself or merge with the Divine States in simpler terms, and the people from the Harmonic Divine States overwhelmed the Divine States (Far East) after the destruction or collapse of the Harmonic Divine States.

I think it's just the ground and things in the sky above it though, not alternate realities or something like that... you make it sound more confusing than I think it needs to be.
Except the Harmonic Divine States being a copy perhaps created from the book Testament suggests at least an alternate dimension of some sort.

No, you seem to care somewhat about the story too. :)
Nah. It's like one of those puzzles you feel like solving out of amusement or slight interest. You just feel compelled to because you can and it's in front of you.

It is worded very poorly. For instance I thought after watching the show that the people on the Musashi were the descendants of the sky people who had fallen to earth, for instance, and that the people who had been on the ground before were in charge, but in fact it's the exact opposite.
The people on the Musashi are descendants of the sky people who had fallen to Earth and were the former rulers of the land.

Apart from that, though, you also see the Harmonic Divine States as literally an alternate reality, or a simultaneous re-creation along with the ground, or something? I just don't think that makes any sense, and don't see backing for that in what little we know of the plot... can either of you prove this, and/or explain it better?
Quote: "In order to regain their former prosperity, they created a history book called the Testament. They separated the Divine States in the real world and its copy, the Harmonic Divine States."

But no, I think that only the people on the ground, the Divine States, were running the history reinactment. The later-to-be Harmonic Divine States people in the sky were not. Oh, and the reason why they had had the split was because
there wasn't enough land on the ground for all of the people returning to earth, given that this was the only habitable land on Earth. So they set up the sky colonies or whatever they are for the rest of the people. I believe this is the story, myself.
Yeah, you lost me there. While we can speculate the very reason (a very good reason) the Harmonic Divine States was created was because of overpopulation once the sky colonies fell, the Harmonic Divine States people never lived in the skies. Only the people of the Divine States did. Once the sky colonies/continent fallen, they didn't have the power/technology anymore to rebuild those sky colonies. That's why they are rewriting history: so they can restore that lost power. The Harmonic Divine States was never in the skies but a duplicate of the Divine States/Far East land.

The anime doesn't need to have forgotten, they just didn't explain all of the thousands of years of backstory in episode 1.
Poor choice of words, but yes, they didn't explain all those centuries of backstory.

scy

@Horizon - Going over the lines from the ED credit roll on various translations, they don't seem to say much on it besides "There's the Harmonic States and the copy, the Divine Harmonic States." Doesn't seem to indicate much here on what the hell either of them are. That said, there's some wildly different stuff in these translations so I'm banking on most the confusion stemming from these.

Looking over novel stuff, seems to indicate that it's just the "The World" and "Japan". Much of the World leaves Earth and makes their copy of as the Divine Harmonic States; what this is, I don't know (LN reference calls to a "pocket dimension", though I don't know if that's actually the proper term for it or just the way it's described). Either way, they "leave" Japan one-way-or-the-other and does stuff their own way to recreate History following The Testament.

The "Testament" isn't a creation, it's an existing Holy Bible/Record of Time; it's their guide to recreation of the timeline towards working towards the History that led to the technology involved with Tenjou.

More specifically, it seems the goal of both the groups is to recreate history to regain the technology that led to Tenjou in the first place, and not a learning from their mistake sort of thing. Though, something happens that causes the Divine Harmonic State to return.

Or ... something like that. There's a list of this on the official website that I'm going through to see if there's anything relevant there for this. Most LN stuff I can find uses references to "The World" as those who left and "Japan" as like 5 different things.

Also of note, they are actually at two different points in time since the Sengoku period and Thirty Year period are some 200 years apart, now that I actually stop to think about that little tidbit.

I think I just failed some kind of test.

Edit: Going through a lot of the information, seems there's absolutely nothing involved with parallel worlds, alternate timelines, anything like that. Just that, when Tenjou fell, the only habitable land is basically Japan. Much of the world leave for a copy of this land called Juso Shinsuu, aka the Divine Harmonic States. I don't know what it is but, based off the opening scene of the anime, it might just be a floating copy of it.

Both the original world and the Divine Harmonic States are going through History according to the Testaments/Bibles/History Book. The Divine Harmonic States reach the end of the time (1648) according to the books and return to the Harmonic States (still in 1413) and conquer it and splits it up amongst themselves. These people who were conquered are the residents of the Far East area and the floating city-ship Musashi.

And then series starts.

BluWacky

Branduil said:
I think people watched it, they just didn't buy it. Didn't it air in a Saturday morning timeslot or something like that?

Aired on NHK-2, which everyone gets unlike many TV stations (I think?), and it's been repeated several times since its original broadcast.

Also it IS a kid's show, really - and how many kids can afford 7 billion yen anime DVDs?

Branduil

BluWacky said:
Aired on NHK-2, which everyone gets unlike many TV stations (I think?), and it's been repeated several times since its original broadcast.

Also it IS a kid's show, really - and how many kids can afford 7 billion yen anime DVDs?
Still no excuse for the otaku not buying it considering it's better than the vast majority of crap they do buy.

Articalys

Fate/zero 2

Fantastic, so now we have a pair of psychopathic murderers added to the fray.
Also, oath sign is such a badass song, but I was already a fan of LiSA from the vocals songs she did for Angel Beats.

By the way, what are the most likely reasons for why they split Fate/zero across two seasons with a break in-between?

trejo

Ben-to 1

The direction is lackluster, the animation is low budget, the characters are cookie cutter, the plot is nonsensical and what little music there is is complete throwaway but goddammit I could not stop watching. It was kind of amazing, in a way.

Geneijin

scy said:
Yeah, I'm a little puzzled at how long it's really been. They've gone through 11,000 years of history which is a rather long stretch of time. Considering how dire thing seem to be, I can't imagine they've actually been sitting around for 11,000 years rewriting/reliving history at a 1:1 rate.
True. Let's hope the plot isn't that stupid then :lol

That said, the show seems to contradict it a bit? Or at least leaves a lot of it out? The start is the same (Earth -> Tenjou -> Back to Earth -> Shinshu). The oddity is the wording on the history bit; the anime credit roll, at least for the translation I have in front of me, seems to indicated they copied ... their History? ("...they rewrote their old history Sefu into a new history named Sinshuu and made copies called Jushou Shinshuu"). Same terminology but there's a lot of mishmash on things. I think I need to start comparing translations or something :/
I think there's more left out information than contradictions. With the translation you quoted, the reason why I don't trust them is because they tend to be too literal (specifically near the end of episode and ending credits), the pronounced Engrish (the song lyrics at the beginning), and they really could use an editor.

Looking over novel stuff
Ah, you're looking into novel spoilers...

More specifically, it seems the goal of both the groups is to recreate history to regain the technology that led to Tenjou in the first place, and not a learning from their mistake sort of thing.
Though, something happens that causes the Divine Harmonic State to return.
The Testament Union is mentioned 2 or 3 times, but I didn't think about both groups wanting to recreate history at all. I guess I forgotten this since I was too preoccupied with understanding the ending credits that I could see this.

Also, is that a spoiler?

Also of note, they are actually at two different points in time since the Sengoku period and Thirty Year period are some 200 years apart, now that I actually stop to think about that little tidbit.
This was stated at the very end of the ending credits.

Edit: Going through a lot of the information, seems there's absolutely nothing involved with parallel worlds, alternate timelines, anything like that. Just that, when Tenjou fell, the only habitable land is basically Japan. Much of the world leave for a copy of this land called Juso Shinsuu, aka the Divine Harmonic States. I don't know what it is but, based off the opening scene of the anime, it might just be a floating copy of it.
Nah, we know for sure it's Tenjou or most likely to be it. Remember, they lost the power to create Tenjou when it collapse/fell, so they're recreating history or whatever to regain what was lost (Tenjou and the accompany knowledge). It doesn't make sense if the Harmonic Divine States is "Tenjou" since they are just a copy of the Divine States.

Also, some stuff you're stating from the novels are quite some spoilers.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Gundam age 1 - Pretty much what i expected, which is a shame. More detailed impressions in the gundam thread.;_;

Reknoc

Hunter x Hunter 2

Still going at a fast pace, still Hunter x Hunter. It's been a while since I've read this part in the manga but I can't think of anything big that's been cut out in this episode.

duckroll

I watched 5 minutes of Gundam AGE ep1, and then I shut the Youtube page off. It was just so mediocre and dull, as expected of Level 5's fail. I didn't expect it to be interesting anyway, so no loss there.

/XX/

duckroll said:
What TV series? Lol.
I can't testify for this information myself, but I trust in Tsuka, manuloz and Bahi JD. All commenced with this message posted in Kraker's twitter account:

Twitter / @kraker2k said:
So is it true Takeshi Koike is working on a new Lupin anime?
http://twitter.com/#!/kraker2k/status/115513090778476545

To what they contest:

Twitter / @catsuka said:
@kraker2k Yes ;-] and I saw some designs. But I can't show anything, sorry.
http://twitter.com/#!/catsuka/status/115876459532390400

Twitter / @Duune99 said:
@kraker2k Someone working in japan said so. But since it's not announced yet. I suppose we should not speak of this.
http://twitter.com/#!/Duune99/status/115666428740370432

Twitter / @bahijd said:
@Duune99 @kraker2k some animator told me about this months ago....┐('~`;)┌ can't remember... (; ^_^)
http://twitter.com/#!/bahijd/status/115535733766369281

Other ones show interest in what they know (including our Nonoriri), and between all this secrecy manuloz keeps posting some more:

Twitter / @Duune99 said:
@bahijd @NicoHayashi @kraker2k Guilty - but i do not now much more than tsuka's tweet (same source). But yeah it's happening.
http://twitter.com/#!/Duune99/status/115666428740370432

Twitter / @Duune99 said:
@bahijd @NicoHayashi @kraker2k It was at the time ann broke the news for a Lupin Tv series, then said no it's a TV Special.
http://twitter.com/#!/Duune99/status/115666684504834048

Twitter / @Duune99 said:
@bahijd @NicoHayashi @kraker2k &yes there's a Special coming. But yes there's a TV series coming. When news will broke you will be HAPPY.
http://twitter.com/#!/Duune99/status/115666970698989568

Twitter / @Duune99 said:
@bahijd @NicoHayashi @kraker2k When you hear about the director. Big smile on your faces will show up. I tell you.
http://twitter.com/#!/Duune99/status/115667337323085824

Having said this, and knowing what kind of key people interest those who manuloz replied to, 7Th (maybe tongue-in-cheek) guesses Mr. Imaishi, probably because we only knew about him founding a new studio later on, and also because of his close relationship with Mr. Koike. Later, manuloz says he wasn't talking about him (something we discussed in a previous thread, http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=31101682&postcount=9756), and acknowledging this 7Th talks about Mr. Koike as another possibility, as he also was confirmed as the character designer for the new series, and more recently by Osamu Kobayashi via manuloz (again):

Twitter / @Duune99 said:
Might be the perfect time to announce the new TV series. Osamu Kobayashi confirmed again at connichi that Koike was the chara designer.
http://twitter.com/#!/Duune99/status/122965572991455232

Cwarrior

Hunter x hunter R 2

Great episode 2 in 1, handled really well nice fast paced with a lot happening in the ep, nothing of importance was lost apart from one bit
how leorio pass the test by being a boss which should of been in there

Funny thing is between the first two episode a whole episode worth of leorio scene are skipped(most of it being filler to be fair), only one being important the one I mentioned above.

/XX/

duckroll said:
Maybe they're all collaborating to troll 7th. I would do the same!
I have to admit that would be amazing! But I would end up trolled as well, collateral damage...
it would be worthwhile, though.

NewFresh

Finally Ben-to!

Time to feel justified.

duckroll said:
I watched 5 minutes of Gundam AGE ep1, and then I shut the Youtube page off. It was just so mediocre and dull, as expected of Level 5's fail. I didn't expect it to be interesting anyway, so no loss there.

I did the same thing. If only they had talking Gundams.

Ben-To ep 1

Well that was as cool as I expected. I shall definitely continue watching. The brunette has skills, and the Ice Witch was amazing. Satou is an instant favorite character of the anime for me. Kind of a silly generalization they made...apparently we Americans dont separate our trash, "what the blazers"?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ezalc said:
Ben-To 1
One Bento to rule them all, One Bento to find them,
One Bento to bring them all and in their hunger satisfy them.

This made me laugh more than it really ought to have. XD Well done. Now I'll have to check it out, even though it probably won't be as funny as your post was. :p

Lain

Hosoda's One Piece

Disappointing. Nicely animated and all, but as a movie about One Piece, I'm not liking it too much.
Finished watching it. Nice ending, but I maintain that it disappointed me, after so much praise for it in the previous thread.

scy

Geneijin said:
Ah, you're looking into novel spoilers...

Trying to not read too much, just found a summary of the background story; outside of figuring out people's names, I haven't really found anything from the rest of the series.

Well, maybe some book covers. Damn.

Also, is that a spoiler?

No, we already know that. That their land came back when "something" (synopsis says war, Ending info dump says "a mistake") happened. It's part of the basis of the plot that they've come and invaded.

Unless I'm on the wrong line is a spoiler bit :|

This was stated at the very end of the ending credits.

Well, my original translation just had mention of the Thirty Year War; the others I was looking at just kind of mentioned them both in the same breath so I glossed over the fact that they're two completely different eras. I guess I don't know my history well enough to have caught it at first mention, lol.

Nah, we know for sure it's Tenjou or most likely to be it. Remember, they lost the power to create Tenjou when it collapse/fell, so they're recreating history or whatever to regain what was lost (Tenjou and the accompany knowledge). It doesn't make sense if the Harmonic Divine States is "Tenjou" since they are just a copy of the Divine States.

No, I meant that the Harmonic Divine States was just some floating continent copy of the land; I just don't know what exactly the Harmonic Divine States are besides that. I mean, floating continent like the city-ship Musashi? A literal pocket dimension? I'm half thinking it's just a "some people left then they came back" thing that isn't meant to be looked into that hard; it's just there to setup why they have Sengoku era people and Thirty Years War people in the same room, be damned on the what and how of it.

"Tenjou" I think is something beyond the skies (space? Heaven?) since it wouldn't make sense that "we need to figure out how we did that!" when they have a floating city already. Unless they've lost the technology for that, too, and Musashi is just kind of there as a relic of the past.

Really, my only confusion with the opening scene of the crashing land is the time frame. 1457 is right before the start of the Sengoku era, which I think is the recreation period that the Divine States were (are?) in; it shifts to 1648 after that which is the period that the Harmonic Divine States were (are?) in. Is there just a nearly 200 year timeskip? Do they just use two different years?

Or is it unrelated to the Divine States/Harmonic Divine States to begin with, since the synopsis makes it sound like 1413 is when things went south and they combined/invaded so 1457 is just a different thing altogether?

Figuring out when we are is such a hassle...

Also, some stuff you're stating from the novels are quite some spoilers.

What is? I've kept it to anything I know is from the synopsis or the anime. The last little blurb in that post is me just translating the synopsis into something that makes more sense. I'm still trying to figure out "when" the series is :/

I mean, I've said everything I know from the novels themselves so I might have inadvertently but everything seems to be in the show and synopsis. The closest thing that isn't is that
the year 1648 is when their recorded History in the Testament stopped, but the synopsis says that 1648 is when the update of History terminates.

Hell, if anything I said is a spoiler than the summary on TAN is far worse :/

Jex

duckroll said:
But if you don't watch the whole thing how can you be sure!

iammeiam

Just watched Code Geass R2 episode 21. I have no idea what the fuck just happened. I can't believe that was the payoff for the entire
Who murdered Marianne?
storyline.

Off to watch the rest!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
duckroll said:

You put up with 45 minutes of exposition, little animation and dudes walking in circles but you can't give Gundam AGE 6 minutes? You are so biased.

Jex

duckroll said:
To celebrate the glorious release of the Vision of Escflowne Blu-ray Box Set coming out in Feb 2012, BS-11 will be re-airing the entire series in HD starting tomorrow!

OMG THE JIZZ IN MY PANTS.
Since when was this happening? Why has it taken so long? Why has't (insert fan favourite show X) being released in Blu-Ray yet?
Steroyd said:
Escaflowne is one of those series that I remember watching, but I don't remember what I watched.
This is actually true for me as well. I remember that there may have been things happening, and mecha-knights, and awesome music.

wsippel

Banned
C^3 2

Wow, this show headed in a quite unexpected direction very fast. Still don't like the character designs at all, but I dig whack shit, so I guess I'm in.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Chihayafuru 01: Well this was cute and interesting. Definitely going to keep this one on my watch list. I wonder when Arata's going to show up. It could be earlier to liven the plot or a long end-goal kind of wait. The artwork and animation were nice as well, and I like the main characters.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
icarus-daedelus said:
Can we all accept at this point that Despera is dead in the water?

Despera really never was alive. I can't believe there are still a handful of people still holding out any kind of hope.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom