• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Can we all accept at this point that Despera is dead in the water?
I do believe most folks in here (although please correct me if I'm wrong) had accepted that long go.

Jex

[Penguin Drum Spoilers for Episode 13]
trejo said:
Well yeah, I agree with that.
But did it have to happen so soon though? I still feel it didn't make the events at the end of episode 12 really sink in because hey, she's back already. I've no problem whatsoever with Himari coming back due to Kanba's recklessness and refusal to let go but I feel not spending at least one episode with her gone was a missed opportunity.

This is mostly just me bitching it didn't go in the direction I wanted it to, mind you. It was still a decent episode, all things considered. And of course we've yet to see how it fits in the overall scheme of things so perhaps I'll change my mind about it later on.
Wouldn't that just make it worse though? Why waste an episode on what it would be like if the died when they already know that they are going to bring her back? That would be very inefficiently storytelling, unless you just want to see people being sad because someone has died. But, we already know that they'd all be sad, so it would be rather pointless.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Since when was this happening? Why has it taken so long? Why has't (insert fan favourite show X) being released in Blu-Ray yet?

This is actually true for me as well. I remember that there may have been things happening, and mecha-knights, and awesome music.
It's pretty great. Unless you're watching the aborted Fox Kids version.

A Black Falcon said:
I do, however, certainly agree on the final point. His inability to learn things like that is certainly one of the signs of his problems as a character. I know that anime MCs are usually supposed to be stupid, but Shirou takes it to a whole new level, and not in a good way, except maybe as a comic example of where the anime MC goes when you take the "stupid but determined" character type that anime MCs so often are to a logical extreme... :)

Fans have pointed out that Shirou is distorted with a survivor's guilt complex along with his inheriting of Kiritsugu's ideals.

The different routes present Shirou with different choices, and he acts accordingly with them. IIRC he gets called on his actions by Rin in Unlimited Blade Works and pretty much has them shoved in his face by
Archer. Fans have speculated that EMIYA is from a path extremely close but not exactly the same as the Fate Route, so basically EMIYA is Shirou (as you hate him) that has reached its logical conclusion: Broken, betrayed and hating himself so much he wants to kill his younger self to create a paradox to erase himself from existence and save himself from the hell of being a Counter Guardian. If it doesn't, well, then he's prevented another version of himself from suffering what he did. Archer's that jaded.

And, the movie didn't properly display that fight. Shirou was getting bitch slapped from one end to the other by Archer, despite being severly weakened by having no master still outmatched his younger self.

By the end of UBW, Shirou realizes that his ideal is flawed, and though still wants to help others has Rin watching over him.

Third Route Shirou
pretty much goes off the railings as due to the events of that storyline he gives up on those dreams in order to save one and one only.

Oddly enough,
while Fate Route Shirou has the greatest chance of becoming Archer, he also has the chance of becoming the greatest Shirou, from the events of Last Episode.

Though, I will note that for myself Fate Route is still my fav, just beating out UBW.

Jex

Lain said:
After such an opening, I have to watch this show. Is it good though?!
The fight scenes are really good though, and they're basically the point of the show. Everything outside them is pretty...bad.

BluWacky

darkside31337 said:
Despera really never was alive. I can't believe there are still a handful of people still holding out any kind of hope.

To be perfectly honest, I never realised it had actually been announced as an anime. I thought it was always just a short story-type project and never something that was going to be animated - I've been confused as to why it turns up on the Bingo card every thread when I never thought there was any question of it happening.

cj_iwakura said:
1317942612895.jpg

wont stop people in the thread asking about its status :p

Gundam AGE 1

Depressing start and possible overall, what is the state of the world in which a teenager schoolkid is the only form of counterattack they have. Flit is cool. The opening was nice though mellow.

Fat Zero 2

Caster is one sadistic fucker.
Give the boy a bit of hope and then kill him in the most horrifying way possible. This dude must be like Jack the Ripper or something. Must be to take on a name like Bluebeard.

This was SO much better than last week. Now I'm actually excited.

Gankutsuou 13

Fantastic. Perhaps the best episode yet. The way they weaved together all the separate plot threads and started to open the curtain on the backstory, especially the surreal dramatic scene
in the Mansion of State Secrets
, is exquisite. I'm genuinely excited to see what they do with
this legend of the Gankutsuou

Branduil

cosmicblizzard said:
Fat Zero 2

Caster is one sadistic fucker.
Give the boy a bit of hope and then kill him in the most horrifying way possible. This dude must be like Jack the Ripper or something. Must be to take on a name like Bluebeard.

This was SO much better than last week. Now I'm actually excited.
There should actually be a show named “Fat Zero.”

Surprised people are hating on Gundam AGE. The character designs looks to be targeted a young audience, but everything else is pretty standard gundam stuff.

I'm digging the old school gundam look. Everything else is too early to tell, but I do hope it has the opposite effect of 00 which started off awesome before falling to peer pressure and became 'another gundam show'.

There is potential here, unless they go all yugioh zexal...

Coxy

I'm sure he was saying it like he knows it's happened before and it was the best gundam ever. I hope so anyway.
About to watch AGE, impressions on GAF havent filled me with hope but oh well, here goes

Jex

[Penguin Drum 13]

People sure have a weird way of speaking in this show. I mean, it's clearly deliberate, but still.

On the other hand, the use of musical and sound remains excellent. It really brings to light how many shows just drop a musical track into the background of a scene without really doing much work to make it all 'fit'.

Ezalc

Coxy said:
I'm sure he was saying it like he knows it's happened before and it was the best gundam ever. I hope so anyway.

There will never be a Gundam anime as glorious as G Gundam was. Feelsbadman.jpg.

Steroyd

Ben-To - 01

I don't know whether what I just watched was entertainingly good or entertainingly bad.

Regulus Tera said:
Working!! 2: So she's not an androphobe, she's just a tsundere! Now I won't feel weird when fapping.

She's more of an androdere, it's not like she's putting up a front just reluctant to be fully cured now.

Hunter x Hunter new vs old - 02

I'll keep watching both new and old the new is outright skipping certain touch's to the characters like Gon's ability to befriend animals or Leorio observing subtle hints when they went to meet the navigators, Kurapurika is the only one not losing anything at the anime's current pace.

Jex

Steroyd said:
Ben-To - 01

I don't know whether what I just watched was entertainingly good or entertainingly bad.
If you were entertained, surely it was, in some respects, good? Good entertainment is...when something entertains you for some reason, which this show clearly has done.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
hosannainexcelsis said:
Spice and Wolf - Fin

Thoroughly enjoyed it. While the presentation may not be anything noteworthy (either good or bad, and considering how easy it is to screw these things up I'll count my blessings), the writing drawn from the source material is strong enough to carry the show. The intrigue and machinations of the plot are interesting themselves, but what shines out the most is how the relationship between Lawrence and Holo slowly develops into one of friendly, amusing banter between equals who know they are not equals, who trust and respect each other for their strengths and support each other during their weaknesses. I look forward to the second season and will likely seek out the original light novels. It's too bad the English translations are so far behind the recently finished series.

The second season is fucking awesome-good. I loved it even more than the first season, and that's saying a whole lot considering how much I loved season one. You are in for yet another treat. More plot intricacies, more sellin', tradin', and negotiatin', and more delicious Holo trolling.

wsippel

Banned
Steroyd said:
Ben-To - 01

If in doubt, it's usually the former.

EDIT: What Jexhius wrote. If it's entertaining, it's good.

Steroyd

Jexhius said:
If you were entertained, surely it was, in some respects, good? Good entertainment is...when something entertains you for some reason, which this show clearly has done.

I've watched quite a few hilaribad shows recently the line was all blurry, the general quality of most of the shows this season doesn't help.

Articalys

I failed I failed I failed I failed I failed I failed...
A1
1st 613 Mikoto Misaka @ A Certain Magical Index
2nd 516 Victorique De Blois @ Gosick

B2
1st 498 Erica Hartmann @ Strike Witches
2nd 496 Suzuha Amane @ Steins;Gate

First of the two remaining Kugilolis is up. Let's see how well they do against the last remaining Steins;Gate character. Unfortunately it's probably going to be a bloodbath in favor of the former.

Geneijin

scy said:
No, we already know that. That their land came back when "something" (synopsis says war, Ending info dump says "a mistake") happened. It's part of the basis of the plot that they've come and invaded.
You said the Harmonic Divine States make a return, but from what's stated in Episode 1, the creation of the Harmonic Divine States was a one time affair so far when they used Testament.

No, I meant that the Harmonic Divine States was just some floating continent copy of the land; I just don't know what exactly the Harmonic Divine States are besides that.
The Harmonic Divine States are most likely not a floating continent. It's stated they are a copy of the Divine States, which is the Far East/Japan.

I mean, floating continent like the city-ship Musashi?
A literal floating piece of land.

A literal pocket dimension?
A literal pocket dimension.

I'm half thinking it's just a "some people left then they came back" thing that isn't meant to be looked into that hard; it's just there to setup why they have Sengoku era people and Thirty Years War people in the same room, be damned on the what and how of it.
If ABF's speculation is right that
the Harmonic Divine States were created due to overpopulation originally when Tenjou fell, then I can somewhat understand that interpretation.
But the only people who left the Divine States would be the people who had to reside in the Harmonic Divine States.

"Tenjou" I think is something beyond the skies (space? Heaven?) since it wouldn't make sense that "we need to figure out how we did that!" when they have a floating city already. Unless they've lost the technology for that, too, and Musashi is just kind of there as a relic of the past.
Tenjou is either in the skies or, at worse, in outer space which I hope won't be the case. As I said before, Tenjou is most likely land able to float above the ground. However, it is possible Tenjou could be a floating city like Musashi, and they lost the technology to even rebuild that except the problem with that is it ignores the politics involved for forcing the Far East people onto the Musashi. Also, in a world where the Divine States is the only habitable places, the real value is own that, not a flying ship that represents the capital of the Divine States/Far East. So it's actually the opposite of how much the Musashi is worth in this world.

Really, my only confusion with the opening scene of the crashing land is the time frame. 1457 is right before the start of the Sengoku era, which I think is the recreation period that the Divine States were (are?) in; it shifts to 1648 after that which is the period that the Harmonic Divine States were (are?) in. Is there just a nearly 200 year timeskip? Do they just use two different years?
It's a time skip. A 200 year time skip. Hence, it states it's 1648 currently when you see the girl singing at Horizon's grave. It's the time after the Harmonic Divine States collapsed, and the people from there are in and occupying the Divine states now.

Or is it unrelated to the Divine States/Harmonic Divine States to begin with, since the synopsis makes it sound like 1413 is when things went south and they combined/invaded so 1457 is just a different thing altogether?
Things went south in 1413, and when the Harmonic Divine States fell, the people from there invaded the Divine States.

What is? I've kept it to anything I know is from the synopsis or the anime. The last little blurb in that post is me just translating the synopsis into something that makes more sense. I'm still trying to figure out "when" the series is :/

scy said:
More specifically, it seems the goal of both the groups is to recreate history to regain the technology that led to Tenjou in the first place, and not a learning from their mistake sort of thing. Though, something happens that causes the Divine Harmonic State to return.

Both the original world and the Divine Harmonic States are going through History according to the Testaments/Bibles/History Book. The Divine Harmonic States reach the end of the time (1648) according to the books and return to the Harmonic States (still in 1413) and conquer it and splits it up amongst themselves. These people who were conquered are the residents of the Far East area and the floating city-ship Musashi.

I mean, I've said everything I know from the novels themselves so I might have inadvertently but everything seems to be in the show and synopsis. The closest thing that isn't is that
the year 1648 is when their recorded History in the Testament stopped, but the synopsis says that 1648 is when the update of History terminates.
Yeah, that now is either a mistranslation, bad writing, or simply the cause of the adaptation.

Hell, if anything I said is a spoiler than the summary on TAN is far worse :/
It really, really is which is why I said after reading it I could predict where the story is heading :lol

;(

e_i

Cubed x Cursed x Curious episode 2

Well that went Higurashi on the viewer. I love Fear's "I'm going to fuck up your shit" face at the end.

scy

Geneijin said:
You said the Harmonic Divine States make a return, but from what's stated in Episode 1, the creation of the Harmonic Divine States was a one time affair so far when they used Testament.

That's just bad choice of words on my part; I just meant that the people that went there return to the Earth again, which is precisely what the story tells us. Didn't mean it to sound like they're redoing the Harmonic Divine States, just that their occupants returned.

The Harmonic Divine States are most likely not a floating continent. It's stated they are a copy of the Divine States, which is the Far East/Japan.

Yeah, they're a copy of Japan but ... what form does it take? Though, to be honest, I'm just not caring anymore on what the Harmonic Divine States were (since ... that land is gone now) beyond it being a copy of the Far East/Japan. The what of it is less important than the why of it, it seems.

If ABF's speculation is right that
the Harmonic Divine States were created due to overpopulation originally when Tenjou fell, then I can somewhat understand that interpretation.
But the only people who left the Divine States would be the people who had to reside in the Harmonic Divine States.

Basically, almost everyone left the Divine States for the copy, the Harmonic Divine States; not everyone left, however. "Eventually", the people who left for the Harmonic Divine States returned to the Divine States and conquered it, splitting the Far East among themselves (to refer back to that map you linked, it's why each piece is sectioned to various countries like that).Those who were conquered are those that reside on the Musashi (and maybe have some minor territory on the ground? Dunno on that one).

That part I'm pretty much certain on being the case.

It's a time skip. A 200 year time skip. Hence, it states it's 1648 currently when you see the girl singing at Horizon's grave. It's the time after the Harmonic Divine States collapsed, and the people from there are in and occupying the Divine states now.

Yeah, that now is either a mistranslation, bad writing, or simply the cause of the adaptation.

Maybe they'll expand on it later, but my understanding is both time periods are relevant somehow. Then again, the conversation mid-way through the episode has the kid with the computer(?) reference it's been 160 years since they were taken over. Forgot he blatantly states that :/

I guess they've just been stuck in the Sengoku Era ... still ... for some reason.
Probably has something to do with the Far East's representative being limited to an idiot since the invasion so they haven't been able to progress their History Reenactment. Or something like that.

Or just because they love that time period and need to shoehorn using it into this story somehow.

One Piece 504

Just like I thought, the scene where
Dragon rescues someone
isn't any less ambiguous, but I'm fairly certain it's
Sabo
even if that is way too predictable for Oda. Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Nice that we finally get to see Luffy punch the seaking that took Shanks' arm animated outside the first OP. Really weird that they cut that out of the first flashback when the series just started.

Averon

C^3 02

What! The second half of this episode is like a completely different show.
Also, am I the only one getting strong Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? vibes?

Gundam Age 01

Very ho hum. Not great; not terrible either.

Articalys said:
I failed I failed I failed I failed I failed I failed...

First of the two remaining Kugilolis is up. Let's see how well they do against the last remaining Steins;Gate character. Unfortunately it's probably going to be a bloodbath in favor of the former.
Oh yea, I need to finish Steins . . .

Hmm, Lotte was in D4, so I guess I'll pull for her.

Andrew J.

Steins;Gate 03

There's an acceptable level of cutesy ditzyness, and then there's opening a microwave in the middle of an experiment and nearly getting blown up.

It's odd how Amane happened to know all that stuff about SERN and the IBN. Sure she had a reasonable explanation for each piece of knowledge, but it's a little suspicious all the same.

I can't hear the difference between the "right" and "wrong" ways of pronouncing "hacker."

Geneijin

Averon said:
C^3 02

What! The second half of this episode is like a completely different show.
Also, am I the only one getting strong Kore wa Zombie Desu ka? vibes?
I always thought it'll be Zombisu x Baka Test judging by the trailers and "the twist" stated by the fans of the novels.

Geneijin

scy said:
That's just bad choice of words on my part; I just meant that the people that went there return to the Earth again, which is precisely what the story tells us. Didn't mean it to sound like they're redoing the Harmonic Divine States, just that their occupants returned.
Eh, I disagree we're told this. We assume most likely this is the case based on the evidence, which it probably is, but we're never told who the occupants of the Harmonic Divine States were exactly (yet).

Yeah, they're a copy of Japan but ... what form does it take? Though, to be honest, I'm just not caring anymore on what the Harmonic Divine States were (since ... that land is gone now) beyond it being a copy of the Far East/Japan. The what of it is less important than the why of it, it seems.
Well, based on the synopsis, the Harmonic Divine States took the form of a "pocket dimension," and it coincides with what form I thought it could possibly take when the Divine States got duplicated and where it could be placed. So a dimension which can house a copy of the Divine States.

And I disagree what it is is any less important since we're getting weird translations of Tenjou being "outer space," and if that's true, the story is even worse than I'm understanding it to be.

Basically, almost everyone left the Divine States for the copy, the Harmonic Divine States; not everyone left, however. "Eventually", the people who left for the Harmonic Divine States returned to the Divine States and conquered it, splitting the Far East among themselves (to refer back to that map you linked, it's why each piece is sectioned to various countries like that).Those who were conquered are those that reside on the Musashi (and maybe have some minor territory on the ground? Dunno on that one).

That part I'm pretty much certain on being the case.
This is the most likely explanation, but I reserved judgment since they didn't explicitly state this. Then again, this is only the first episode.

Maybe they'll expand on it later, but my understanding is both time periods are relevant somehow. Then again, the conversation mid-way through the episode has the kid with the computer(?) reference it's been 160 years since they were taken over. Forgot he blatantly states that :/
Yeah, he blatantly states that. And yes, the time periods are relevant because if you understand how the story works, you'll know how those time periods are spoilers themselves because of what entails within those time periods :lol

I guess they've just been stuck in the Sengoku Era ... still ... for some reason. Probably has something to do with the Far East's representative being limited to an idiot since the invasion so they haven't been able to progress their History Reenactment. Or something like that.

Or just because they love that time period and need to shoehorn using it into this story somehow.
So far it's just a complicated mess to justify all this "cool" shit in this time period pretty much.

Also, the History Reenactment was been in progress since the invasion. The Testament Union has been dictating as much ever supposedly since 1457 if we're using novel spoilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom