• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

duckroll said:
According to a Japanese blog which had the chance to watch the Guilty Crown premiere at an event yesterday, the anime is SO GOOD that after watching it, it feels like the anticipation and suspense you would have after reading a chapter of a Naoki Urasawa manga.

IT WILL BE GLORIOUS! HYPE!!!!

Okay, so Urasawa comparison = good. But is said blog festooned with moeblobs and emoticons in its entries? Can we trust the glorious hype?

Don't get me wrong, I'm on the Noitamina hype train this season as always, but my faith is not as strong as it once was...

Lain

duckroll said:
According to a Japanese blog which had the chance to watch the Guilty Crown premiere at an event yesterday, the anime is SO GOOD that after watching it, it feels like the anticipation and suspense you would have after reading a chapter of a Naoki Urasawa manga.

IT WILL BE GLORIOUS! HYPE!!!!
The Urasawa tidbit kills my excitement. I hate Urasawa. I'd run him over if I'd happened to see him walking down the street.
Why did you do this to me, Japanese blogger-san?

duckroll

BluWacky said:
Okay, so Urasawa comparison = good. But is said blog festooned with moeblobs and emoticons in its entries? Can we trust the glorious hype?

Don't get me wrong, I'm on the Noitamina hype train this season as always, but my faith is not as strong as it once was...

http://ro69.jp/blog/cut/58746

It's actually the editorial blog for the magazine Cut. Probably money-hatted!

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
PdotMichael said:
100255423.v1316803178.jpg

I keep meaning to ask, what is the name of this show?

duckroll

Lain said:
I hate Naoki Urasawa. I wouldn't really run him over for real, but I feel that such a crude statement conveys the kind of dislike I have for him.

You think it's acceptable to post that you would run over a guy if you saw him on the street? Think again!

gunbo13

Ben-Tou ep1
Dat ice queen. Unbelievably stupid premise therefore amazing. Will the training be all battle or will we delve into ben-tou eating techniques? I'm on edge.

C3 ep1
Whelp, this...uh...I have no clue what to say...if they break the fourth wall, then isn't there two more to go?

Ika ep1-2
Nothing special by Ika standards. The Sanae hate was funny in ep2.

Majikoi ep1
Seeing the noble masters character bases was weird. So where do we go from here since Yamato is just chasing Momoyo? Constant battle royals I guess.

Cookie is the only correct robot name.
8iCkd.jpg

Shana 3 ep1
Before Shana 3 = Yuuji is the worst
Beginning Shana 3 = Yuuji is the best
Minutes later = Wilhelmina absorbs all awesomeness of the show to where it belongs. Yuuji sucks again.

Did not watch Chihayafuru, Fate/Zero, or catch up on Penguin yet. All of these things makes me sad.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
[Gankutsuou]
It is loose in the way it dramatically reimagines the setting and changes certain character arcs in subtle or extreme ways. At the same time, it is faithful in the way it carries over the cultural and societal structure of the original setting, and keeps the essential themes and most of the personalities intact. It is Dumas' story viewed through a different lens, an interpretation which sheds new light on the original, which in certain ways could be said to improve on the original. In short, it is the sort of adaptation I am most impressed by.
In other words, it's pretty much the opposite of most anime adaptations.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Squid to the Future: Part II 02: Ah, the Soccer Dog clause doesn't apply for tentacles. How fishy.

Nagisa sure is a cool sea cucumber at cosplaying.

Poor Squid Girl, she's always the bait of everyfish out there. :(

Jexhius said:
In other words, it's pretty much the opposite of most anime adaptations.
I would go so far as to say it's opposite of most adaptations period, though of course anime adaptations especially as the source material for most of them is not on the level of Dumas.

wsippel

Banned
gunbo13 said:
C3 ep1
Whelp, this...uh...I have no clue what to say...if they break the fourth wall, then isn't there two more to go?
Watch the second episode before passing any judgement. Honestly.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
I would go so far as to say it's opposite of most adaptations period, though of course anime adaptations especially as the source material for most of them is not on the level of Dumas.
Well you're right, I was being unreasonably cruel about shitty anime, which is often shitty regardless of whether or not it's an adaptation. In many cases, adaptations are either faithful, or loose. Gankutsuou is neither, for the reasons you stated above.

Cwarrior

duckroll said:
What the fuck?

I think his mad about Happy! a manga by Naoki Urasawa, read the first 20 chapters don't find it rage myself but quite few people on manga side find it rage.

But the manga ending spoilers I read is Epic S grade trolololol
so i can understand why his mad.

Ezalc

Phi Brain 2
Really? It took the armband to think of such an obvious solution? I loved how the show was self aware in the preview for the next episode though hahaha.

Jexhius said:
More details about that new Oshii comedy that I linked too earlier (yes, you're reading that sentence correctly):

http://www.animenewsnetwork.co.uk/news/2011-10-10/mamoru-oshii-creates-chimamire-my-love-manga/anime-hybrid

The only question is, will it be old Oshii, golden Oshii, or boring/modern Oshii?

(In before "All Oshii is boring", "All Oshii is shit", basset hounds complaints, and all that other nonsense.)
"He added that he wants to do the kind of slapstick comedy that he has not done since Urusei Yatsura." Sounds promising to me! Of course, I have no idea if present-day Oshii can recapture the kind of ideas that led to some of his best work, and I'm skeptical of how this whole digital media manga/anime hybrid mobile device thing will turn out, but at least there's some cause for hope.

Jex

Ben-To 1

This is another one of those shows that isn't bad because of the story or writing, although those are clearly woeful, but it's because it's simply fails to understand how to tell the simplest parts of a story through visuals, much like Yami or Garzey's Wing (although it's not nearly as memorable as those properties).

If the production was very average, the show would be completely unremarkable. I guess it still is, for the most part, but I'm just surprised how someone can fail so badly at the most basic element of film form/storyboarding. Like, linking images together in a sequence so that on the most basic level something is being told, like character X is doing action Y in location Z. This shows manages to fail at even doing that, it's like things are just moving on screen. Badly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom