• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

zeroshiki said:
Un-Go - 01

This was really boring. I hope it improves because it airs before Guilty Crown and I don't want to have to sit through this 10 more times.

Its Star Driver crossed with Gosick.
Sounds even worse than I imagined.

zeroshiki said:
Un-Go - 01

This was really boring. I hope it improves because it airs before Guilty Crown and I don't want to have to sit through this 10 more times.

That sounds like a combination from hell. Damn.

weeaboo

zeroshiki said:
Un-Go - 01

zeroshiki said:
Guilty Crown - 01

OMGOMGOMOGMOMG

ANIME SAVED!

That was some Code Geass Episode 1 level of badassness.

yay! I love trainwrecks!

duckroll

Un-Go Episode 1

That was really, really weird. This could well be one of the strangest first episodes of an anime series I've ever seen. Even after the episode, I have no idea what the series is really about, or who any of the characters are, or what the actual premise of the show is. It's supposed to be a detective mystery show, but there really isn't much of a mystery at all. Something just happens, and then the show explains it immediately afterwards. There isn't much deducting either, because it seems that there's some magic power shit going on instead. The entire tone of the episode was all over the place, and I'm really puzzled as to who the show is really supposed to appeal to. It's just weird and before you know it, it's over. Really... strange.

Jex

jman2050 said:
Guilty Crown Episode 1

This is exactly what I wanted and hoped for.

Totally on board this ride.
I thought Thursdays couldn't get any better. I guess I was wrong?

Cwarrior

Code Gease ep1

Lol clamp character design suffering from a serious case of anorexia.

Standard stuff so far, I can already sense the bromace coming with childhood friend guy already.

I don't buy for a second that cliché mysterious girl that makes contract with main lead is dead, funny how she was so quick to take a bullet for him.

Jex

trejo said:
Now there's a premise ripe for doujins if I've ever heard one.
It's been done though! Probably many times.
icarus-daedelus said:
O_O
Man, that's about the least notable thing I can remember about Kite.
It's all in the eye of the beholder.

duckroll

Guilty Crown Episode 1

What happens when you get the director of Death Note and Highschool of the Dead to direct a brand new series from the writers of Code Geass, with a premise which sounds like a remake of Code Geass? You basically get a remake of Code Geass with more DRAMATIC poses and DRAMATIC pans and DRAMATIC music and DRAMATIC close ups. This is probably the most DRAMATIC anime on noitaminA ever. The music is kinda... crazy. It's good/bad depending on what you thought of the sound direction in Death Note lol.

I'm kinda surprised that for a pilot episode of a major new otaku show from Production IG and Aniplex, the production values seem kinda low. But yeah, if you go into this expecting Code Geass Mk2, you'll get exactly what you expect.

Ezalc

Un-Go 1
The weirdest boner. Also I liked it, I had no idea what the fuck was going on or who anybody is because the text for the character introductions was unreadable, but I liked it.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Coke vs Pepsi vs... RC Cola.
Heh, brands are important, but what's more important in Akikan is what you're made of. Are you aluminium? Steel? Plastic?

These are important questions.
Blader5489 said:
What? Even if you hate S2 and the movie, 00's strongest run is in the last half of the first season. Fact.
You're preaching nothing but facts. The second half of the season was where it really kicked off, unsurprisngly, because Sunrise often have the first 12 episodes of a Gundam show focus more on world building. Then it can really kick-off.

e_i

UN-Go Episode 1

Well, that was interesting, especially when
the young boy turned into a very tall woman and used his/her Confessor powers on the guilty person

Guilty Crown Episode 1

Well, that gave me a boner. Great music and awesome action. The OP and ED are very low key. Although, they did pull out the whole "I can't do anything" bullshit.

Edit: Oops.

e_i said:
Guilty Crown Episode 2
Well, that gave me a boner. Great music and awesome action. The OP and ED are very low key. Although, they did pull out the whole "I can't do anything" bullshit.

Time Traveller?

If so how is animeGAF in your time?.

wsippel

Banned
duckroll said:
Guilty Crown Episode 1

What happens when you get the director of Death Note and Highschool of the Dead to direct a brand new series from the writers of Code Geass, with a premise which sounds like a remake of Code Geass? You basically get a remake of Code Geass with more DRAMATIC poses and DRAMATIC pans and DRAMATIC music and DRAMATIC close ups. This is probably the most DRAMATIC anime on noitaminA ever. The music is kinda... crazy. It's good/bad depending on what you thought of the sound direction in Death Note lol.

I'm kinda surprised that for a pilot episode of a major new otaku show from Production IG and Aniplex, the production values seem kinda low. But yeah, if you go into this expecting Code Geass Mk2, you'll get exactly what you expect.
So basically... it's enjoyable?

Jex

/XX/ said:
Not for the exact same reasons you have listed, but it is true (for me) that, although sometimes topical or used heavily in the genre, the situations has lost part of its perspicacious nature, and the crazy dynamism between the characters (now less layered, plainly presented) was more enjoyable. I'd say that the previous season seemed... inspired, in general.
Well it did change it's director...

NeonZ

They've also slowed down the pacing of manga material getting adapted. Ika season 1 often tried to combine two manga chapters into a single anime story, so with 3 stories per episode, some episodes used 5 or even 6 manga chapters. That resulted in a fast paced storytelling that sometimes changed topics frenetically.

New Ika seems to be sticking to one chapter per story, so everything is slower and more focused. The material doesn't really benefit much from that focus though.

Jex

Steroyd said:
Hunter x Hunter (old) - 23

Oh shit Oh shit Oh shit Oh shit Oh shit Hisoka Oh shit Oh shit Oh shit Oh shit Oh shit!

Why did I put this off!? Stupid HxH reboot announcement. Hisoka is one awesomely twisted bastard that successfully creeps me the fuck out, and in a good way.
I would say you're getting to the good stuff, but it's all gravy. Delicious, delicious gravy.

I would totally re-watch that show, if my schedule wasn't booked with currently airing titles.

BluWacky

PdotMichael said:
uh? episode 2???

He/she only needs to time travel by a day I think? Aren't they showing episode 2 at NYCC or something like that?

Anyway!

Un-Go 1

This is almost quite interesting. They crammed way too much exposition and character introduction into this episode to make the murder mystery satisfying (they just kind-of zoom through it), and Inga feels very out-of-place in the show, but there are the seeds of something potentially interesting - Shinjurou is an intriguing protagonist (voiced by a real actor, doing non-seiyuu things with his voice!) and the other supporting characters are at least inoffensive detective story stereotypes. I also like the direction, as opposed to the writing; it's not a brilliantly animated show and this episode IS rushed, but I felt that the atmosphere strikes the right tone for this kind of story and it doesn't feel like it's going to go blasting off into complete rubbish.

One wonders why the "weird stuff" is shoved in at present; it's not very well executed and it takes the dramatic tension out of the mystery
why have a character who can force someone to reveal the truth by just looking at them with glowing pink butterflies? Surely it's much more dramatically satisfying to see the detective throw something in at random, or break them down gradually with evidence? Especially when Inga has to turn into a slightly irritating sexpot to do so.
. I'm also not convinced by relocating the story to the future - what makes the Meiji restoration less interesting than a few years from now?

Guilty Crown 1

Incredible last couple of minutes. High-energy action, dynamic camera angles, good music. We get more scenes like that and this is a potential show of the year for me. It's pretty much Code Geass that may have more focus on human battles.

May have over hyped myself though because this wasn't nearly as dramatic as I wanted it to be.

duckroll said:
Guilty Crown Episode 1

Every anime should feature music by Maximum the Hormone.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Blood-C 1-12
Only redeeming thing about this was the antagonist. Even the twist was spoilt by their incessant need for gore.
The apparently quiet village is suddenly filled with hundreds of citizen just so they can have a massacre. Well at least the killing methods were creative and they actually had the intent to eat all their victims rather than just killing them like most of the monsters before.
Good thing I went in knowing it was bad, but I think watching all that idiocy in one go damaged my brain. Well I suppose it was a good laugh in the end, but I'm glad I didn't waste my time waiting for it on a week by week basis. I feel sorry for my friend as this was the only show he watched last season.

Jex

BGBW said:
Blood-C 1-12
Only redeeming thing about this was the antagonist. Even the twist was spoilt by their incessant need for gore.
The apparently quiet village is suddenly filled with hundreds of citizen just so they can have a massacre. Well at least the killing methods were creative and they actually had the intent to eat all their victims rather than just killing them like most of the monsters before.
Good thing I went in knowing it was bad, but I think watching all that idiocy in one go damaged my brain. Well I suppose it was a good laugh in the end, but I'm glad I didn't waste my time waiting for it on a week by week basis. I feel sorry for my friend as this was the only show he watched last season.
Sounds like he got what he deserved for only watching Blood-C, considering what else was on offer.

Branduil

Un-Go
od

This show suffers from pretty severe identity disorder. I don't understand who this is supposed to appeal to. Can't be mystery fans because the mystery sucks. The panda kid is also fairly annoying and as out-of-place as I feared.

The mystery features such great stuff as
invisible security guards and a ripoff of The Dark Knight's ending.
And then you have a
random magical character who just solves the mystery with magical powers.
Also the main detective character is quite boring and has no standout characteristics whatsoever, at least so far.

The show also contains bizarrely written dialogue:

corrupted.jpg

saints.jpg

nothing.jpg

salvation.jpg

Uh, run that by me again please?

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Cwarrior said:
Code Gease ep1

Lol clamp character design suffering from a serious case of anorexia.

Standard stuff so far, I can already sense the bromace coming with childhood friend guy already.

Muahaha.... MUAHAHAHAHA

<3 Code Geass

Branduil said:
Un-Go
od

This show suffers from pretty severe identity disorder. I don't understand who this is supposed to appeal to. Can't be mystery fans because the mystery sucks. The panda kid is also fairly annoying and as out-of-place as I feared.

The mystery features such great stuff as
invisible security guards and a ripoff of The Dark Knight's ending.
And then you have a
random magical character who just solves the mystery with magical powers.
Also the main detective character is quite boring and has no standout characteristics whatsoever, at least so far.

The show also contains bizarrely written dialogue:

maybe the subs are just horrible or Anne Shirley was the dialogue writer.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Un-go 1 - That was incredibly weird.. I'm getting reminded of [C] in a bad way somewhat, like [C] there seems to be a clash of elements, they are some classy "noitamina"-ish elements in a sense going on through this episode, but at the same time there's a number of anime-izms that kind of distract from the overall experience, that said it wasn't bad at all, and I'd be tempted to say direction-wise - it's one of the better "BONE" first episodes since Star Driver. At this point though, it could go either way in terms of quality, but i see more potential in this than either No.6 or Gosick.

BluWacky

Branduil said:

Weirdly literal translation of &#25937;&#12356; in a fairly "poetic" context, I would think (although someone better at Japanese than I am could probably tell you for certain). I interpreted the line as meaning something more like "That's some comfort, anyway." The point being that even heroes
like Kanou
can fall, and no-one is perfect.

There were a few other things that bugged me in Anime On Demand's (UK legal streaming) translation - translating &#22549;&#12385;&#12427; as "fall" is right, sure, but it's incredibly boring in the context of someone talking about moral degradation.

NeonZ

Un Go's script writer is Sho Aikawa, who wrote the anime ending for the original FMA... I remember when he tried to write a murder mystery for a certain live action series and it ended up in disaster where the murder's explanation wasn't consistent with the original death scene (they reshot it for the "answer")... I really don't know why anyone would choose him for this.

Edit: I meant FMA, not FMP, sorry.

BluWacky

NeonZ said:
Un Go's script writer is Sho Aikawa, who wrote the anime ending for the original FMP... I remember when he tried to write a murder mystery for a certain live action series and it ended up in disaster where the murder's explanation wasn't consistent with the original death scene (they reshot it for the "answer")... I really don't know why anyone would choose him for this.

Aikawa and Mizushima have worked together successfully on the original FMA anime (and that ending wasn't that bad... was it? I know everyone hates on it now but I enjoyed it a lot at the time) and Oh! Edo Rocket (which no-one watched, obviously). They've worked well together before, so why not this time? It's not like the mystery doesn't make any sense in this first episode - it's just rushed through.

Other aspects of the adaptation - Inga in particular, the analogue phones in a futuristic world - aren't strong points, but the logic of the murder isn't a problem.

Instro

Un-Go 1
Eh, has more potential than Bones last few outings. Felt pretty rushed, but I'll stick with it a bit longer to see where this is heading.

Articalys

sweet jesus six shows I'm watching are airing today
also why did crunchyroll announce everything like two hours before their first airings this season
anyway
E1
1st 519 Sayaka Miki @ Puella Magi Madoka Magica
2nd 396 Charlotte Dunois @ Infinite Stratos

F2
1st 412 Shirayuki Hotogi @ Hidan No Aria
2nd 372 Yuuko @ Channel
T6Nh3.png

1WeqC.png

BluWacky said:
Aikawa and Mizushima have worked together successfully on the original FMA anime (and that ending wasn't that bad... was it? I know everyone hates on it now but I enjoyed it a lot at the time) and Oh! Edo Rocket (which no-one watched, obviously). They've worked well together before, so why not this time? It's not like the mystery doesn't make any sense in this first episode - it's just rushed through.

The original ending to the first FMA anime was good. I can understand people not liking the inconclusive "Come back for the movie!" last episode, but I like its climax better than Brotherhood's.

Un-Go 1

5Eytf.jpg

It was okay, with a interesting setting. And Inga is cool as shota and busty milf. But, yeah, it feel very rushed, sometimes I wish they would make a two-parter for the start of a new anime. 20 minutes are often too short.

Geneijin

Guilty Crown - 1

Rather than being a spiritual successor, I think this will be different than its predecessor judging by the direction despite the similarities to Code Geass. In fact, this may be what Code Geass R2 could have been instead.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Ungo 1: This is mostly proof that CSI stories can't be told in 22 minutes. The confession ends up being the last 5-10 minutes of an American crime procedural, but here it ends up being half the episode.

scy

survivor said:
Haqua vs Ayumi? I have no idea how to choose between them. This is gonna be so hard for the fans.

Hmmmm...I'm going to have to side with Haqua here. Choosing here is like torture :(

NewFresh

I'll get to Un-Go and Guilty Crown eventually, but for now...

PGSM Ep.03 Now in 4:3!

Right off that bat...WTF? Plot exposition game show?

soacsp.png

Hand puppet Luna is on par with Henrietta Pussycat from Mr. Rogers

10zbfxj.png

There were some terrible great sequences in this episode: Dancing Youma, Sailor V (Who looks much more attractive than Usagi) chase, and "Turn into a princes, change!".
Ami looked really weird once she was in her costume, she looked kinda sickly for some reason.

mwuyyp.png

I knew there were bound to be tentacles sooner or later but it's only episode 3.

/XX/

Jexhius said:
Well it did change it's director...
NeonZ said:
They've also slowed down the pacing of manga material getting adapted. Ika season 1 often tried to combine two manga chapters into a single anime story, so with 3 stories per episode, some episodes used 5 or even 6 manga chapters. That resulted in a fast paced storytelling that sometimes changed topics frenetically.

New Ika seems to be sticking to one chapter per story, so everything is slower and more focused. The material doesn't really benefit much from that focus though.
I see... now I understand better why that difference, the previous season certainly benefited of that approach, yeah.

That kind of change in the planning, and with fewer material to work in, makes it seem like at first they didn't expected to produce another season, no? Could it be that the apparent success of the animated series was maybe a little sudden for them? Or was it expected but they decided to do it like that anyways for other reasons? Nowadays I think many productions are green-lighted because of a 'very exploitable future' notion in some people's minds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom