• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeonZ

BluWacky said:
Aikawa and Mizushima have worked together successfully on the original FMA anime (and that ending wasn't that bad... was it? I know everyone hates on it now but I enjoyed it a lot at the time) and Oh! Edo Rocket (which no-one watched, obviously). They've worked well together before, so why not this time? It's not like the mystery doesn't make any sense in this first episode - it's just rushed through.

Other aspects of the adaptation - Inga in particular, the analogue phones in a futuristic world - aren't strong points, but the logic of the murder isn't a problem.

This is an adaptation? I thought it was an anime original? Anyway, even leaving aside the mixed reaction to FMA's anime ending and first movie, I just don't think Sho Aikawa is a good choice for a mystery show and this first episode didn't really do anything to prove me wrong. Although his choice makes more sense now that you mention Mizushima...

That kind of change in the planning, and with fewer material to work in, makes it seem like at first they didn't expected to produce another season, no? Could it be that the apparent success of the animated series was maybe a little sudden for them?

IIRC, when the second season was announced, Ika's VA was told about it on twitter, and she seemingly had heard nothing about it. So, yes, a second season apparently wasn't originally planned.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Guilty Crown 1 - This is the most unbelievably cliche show I've seen in years, I can't think of one element i haven't seen utilized in a anime before. On the other hand, as we suspected based on the director, the material seems to be hammed up a lot, and as a result it was incredibly entertaining from start to finish lulz.

Production values were pretty disappointing for a first episode though, kind of worries me since this is suppose to be a 22-episode series. Also CGI mechas ewwww.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
EmmanuelMunoz said:
I knew there were bound to be tentacles sooner or later but it's only episode 3.
Yeah, there's a lot of that, because it's cheap to do and doesn't require any choreography.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Guilty Crown 01:

Loved it. The production values felt shockingly low considering it's only the first episode, but the characters, feel and story were quite interesting. I don't think the Geass parallels were that strong, at least not what I was expecting going into this episode. Definitely looking forward to checking more of this show out.

Un-Go 1

OK, so this isn't that bad, really. I have a feeling the source material is good, judging from the central narrative. There are two main problems: First, the pacing is very compressed. Most TV detective shows are an hour long for good reason. Even considering Detective Conan, a half-hour show, they let the more complicated mysteries be two or three-parters. In this episode of Un-Go, we didn't have time to get a good sense of who the characters were, what their relationship was to each other, or the political situation behind the murder. Since each episode will be adapting a different short story with new cast, this will likely continue for the duration of the show.

Second, Inga. A total gimmick character out-of-place with the rest of the world. Steals every scene he's in, in a bad way.
The special questioning power seems like a shortcut to get to the culprit breakdown given the compressed pacing.
A terrible and perplexing element of this adaptation.

I'll keep watching, but it's not what I hoped for.

Instro

Guilty Crown 1

Cool stuff, I like where this is going. There's shades of Geass in there, but it certainly felt quite different, more serious rather than strictly over the top I think. Perhaps the lack of Clamp designs and the general artstyle contribute to that, the show has a pretty good atmosphere. I do like the character designs as well, and overall its a nice looking show, although strangely it seemed slightly lower budget than I would have expected. As you'd probably expect the cgi has its ups a downs, it fits in well enough in some scenes, and in others it doesn't. I suppose it will depend on how dominant mecha are in this show. Hopefully there's a lot of hand to hand combat mixed in, that fight with the thugs was quite good.

Lafiel said:
Guilty Crown 1 - This is the most unbelievably cliche show I've seen in years, I can't think of one element i haven't seen utilized in a anime before. On the other hand, as we suspected based on the director, the material seems to be hammed up a lot, and as a result it was incredibly entertaining from start to finish lulz.
Really? I mean it was pretty standard stuff for the most part, but its certainly not on the level of a Sacred Seven or something.

Reknoc

Guilty Crown 1

Pretty good, or at least entertaining. Some pretty great music as well. Though I have to say so far I'm not really liking the main character.

Guilty Crown 1

OYy0M.jpg

What a generic anime with bad music. I have no hope for a good anime show.

And CGI-mechs are worser than CGI-cars. It looks totally off.

Mature

Un-Go 1
Being a non-stop Detective Conan junkie for the past year made me excited at the prospect of a new whodunit/deduction show-esq anime. Especially one with an adult setting with some weird characters. I'll echo some previous statements by saying the mystery was a bit half-baked. The "deduction show" was cut in half by a mysterious woman who (I dunno, is that supposed to be some quasi 'form' of Inga? lol) has this magic supernatural ability to make people answer 1 question. The hell?

It kept me interested enough at least to tune in next time. Pretty cool soundtrack too.

Guilty Crown 1
tumblr_lt13q1q4uU1qad73go2_250.gif
tumblr_lt13q1q4uU1qad73go3_250.gif

Wow this anime is definitely up there for me with Phi Brain for my most enjoyable this season of non continuing series. It felt like it has some hint of Sacred Seven to me. The power seems amazing and that huge sword and sequence leading up to it. I can instantly relate with the main character and click with him, quite an interesting character whom I cant wait to go through the course of the season with. The music was great both the opening and ending and most tracks throughout.

Reknoc

Un-Go 1

This is kind of a shame. I think for the most part it was pretty enjoyable. However the detective aspect is pretty flawed when it ends up just boiling down to
his pschotic imp girl turning into a witch that forces people to confess
. Though maybe that'll change when the series goes on and the mysteries hopefully get more complex (Neuro did the same sort of thing, but Neuro was a Shonen Jump manga). I think I'll definitely stick with it.

Oh, I really enjoyed the ED animation and song!

Hellsing321 said:
Why must you make me choose, saimoe?

There is no choice, only Haqua.

One Piece 516

Excellent way to close out the "Paradise" chapter. Once We Are started playing as we saw scenes from the other strawhats, I was like "AW YEAH". Also love how the "To be continued" at the end was replaced with
To The New World.

So that's the midway point I guess. Only 516 episodes to go.

zeroshiki

Lafiel said:

Production values were pretty disappointing for a first episode though, kind of worries me since this is suppose to be a 22-episode series. Also CGI mechas ewwww.

As I told you on IRC, I didn't think there was anything particularly egregious regarding the mecha CG. I mean, unless you hate CG on principle, I thought the CG was well blended into the scenes for the most part. Its supposed to be mechanical anyways.

trejo

Un-Go 1

Good thing I had my expectations in check because otherwise this would have disappointed me somewhat. So it starts off with some badly thought out murder mistery story which gets instantly solved with magical detective powers and they throw in some "war is bad, mkay?" message for good measure. If their aim was to get me interested in these characters then they failed terribly. Character designs are also pretty ugly, so that doesn't help either.

It's too early to tell, of course, but it seems the Bones hype train is finally starting to lose some steam for me. Oh well, there's always next season!

And at least the ED was nice.

Guilty crown.

Wow. My eyes are burning. Wish the main character had a bit more balls, which I assume he will get throughout the show.

Those are some shitty mecha designs though...

trejo

Guilty Crown 1

Now this is more like it. Dramatic and over the top in all the right places and I was half expecting someone to call someone else an eleven at some point. Best part for me was when the main character
pulled a sword out of a girl's chest
, at that moment I pretty much knew I couldn't not watch this.

Did not disappoint.

Articalys

Sounds like the initial ideas for AnoHana could have gone in a completely different direction.
Ano Hi Mita Hana no Namae o Boku-tachi wa Mada Shiranai. (AnoHana) scriptwriter Mari Okada revealed in the August issue of Media Factory's monthly Da Vinci magazine that the drama included slapstick erotic elements in its original conception. As a contemplative slice-of-life story with a quieter tone, the anime's final version differs greatly from the writer's original plans.

Okada explained that the AnoHana anime depicted friends' awkward youthful sexual attractions to each other during the story's first planning stage. The writer imagined balancing the slapstick erotic aspect with a deeper tone focusing on the flow of time through childhood. As Okada explained, it was later in the drama's development that the ghost and supernatural themes appeared.

Director Tatsuyuki Nagai and character designer and chief animation director Masayoshi Tanaka contributed to the story's evolution during planning, according to Okada. The AnoHana writer said her emotions were shaken after learning much of the story had to be changed in order for the anime's proposal to be accepted. During that phase, the two staffers suggested to Okada that the current story might have been too cliche and that focusing on friendship would be a better alternative.
AnoHana Originally Had Slapstick Erotic Elements

Now, why news about this article is only being published now, when it was apparently released in August, I have no idea.

All My Friends Are Dead 2

2 episodes in and we already get a Monster Hunter parody? Nice. Will look forward to see how Meat's game addiction progresses.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Articalys said:
Sounds like the initial ideas for AnoHana could have gone in a completely different direction.

AnoHana Originally Had Slapstick Erotic Elements

Now, why news about this article is only being published now, when it was apparently released in August, I have no idea.
That actually explains why they ended up being high schoolers instead of being older. Of course they're super virgins in the show, so they ended up excising all of that completely.

Inga's fun.

I like Shu. I hope watching him man up throughout the show is entertaining.

I don't like watching Yozora being a bitch, but Sena being awesome makes up for it. They need to hurry up with the other characters so Yozora's presence gets diluted.

That AnoHana revelation is very enlightening.

Ezalc

Guilty Crown
That was pretty dull. The main guy's weapon is shit, the main girl's voice is annoying. There wasn't enough GEASS. I bet that one dude that kicked ass will probably die by the end because that's what happens to awesome characters. Either that or he'll just become a bad guy or totally useless.

iavi

Guilty Crown.

"I wanted to get close to her. I wanted to hold her hand..." Yeah, my stomach turned a little bit. And, get me this, I completely understand that it was consciously written campy, but I gotta say that I'm just not in the mood to stomach it in the way they intend for the viewers to.

Not even my love for Hiroyuki could compel to finish this ep. You guys enjoy yourselves with this one. I, on the other hand, will just listen to the OST when its released.

Note: The opening scene, while a bit jarring due to the transition from DRAMATICACTION to music video, was directed pretty well with one awesome lead into the title card.

Un-Go 1

The pacing and direction was all over the place. And having a power like that really takes the fun out of detective work. I liked the ED, I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom