• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeroshiki

Branduil said:
The story had some pretty bad arcs when it focused on things besides Yuzuyu. The arc about
Kippei's cousin who cut herself
was borderline unwatchable.

It actually got a lot of praise for being cutting edge and dealing with "real-world" issues. They didn't say anything about it being uncomfortable and stupid.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Wait wait wait, there's an AKB48 anime by Shoji Kawamori and Mari Okada?

You have got to be fucking kidding me.

zeroshiki

cosmicblizzard said:
It's definitely odd when a WSJ series that lasts for over 100 chapters doesn't get an anime. Maybe it had been considered but the apparently poor ratings and tankobon sales never allowed a production to get off the ground.

Just like PCP! And that one even ranks in the top 3.
:lol

Dynedom

RurouniZel said:
Oni. Giri. Ooooooonigiri! :)

One of the major "d'aaaaaw" moments.

If you don't smile real big at that part, you are a monster.

edit: Yes that cousin arc was retarded and completely not necessary.

Deadman Wonderland OVA

Senji backstory? Sweet. Interesting that they decided to flesh him out more than in the manga by giving him a villain of his own, complete with Branches of Sin. I figured it was going to delve into how he ended up at DMW, but that might be for another OVA if there is one.

Also, Senji still has the most badass use of the Branches of Sin in the series.

Ezalc

Last Exile Little Girls Edition 1

I hate the OP.
I hate these bullshit little Vanships.
I hate the main characters.
I hate the tsundere ass bitch princess.
I watched the dub of LE so I miss Dio's english voice.
I did enjoy the IMMELMANN TUUUUUUUURN.
I also enjoyed that hot ass older blonde princess.
I also miss Alex fucking Rowe, that other captain was boring as shit.

It could have been worse.

Proelite

Ezalc said:
Last Exile Little Girls Edition 1

I hate the OP.
I hate these bullshit little Vanships.
I hate the main characters.
I hate the tsundere ass bitch princess.
I watched the dub of LE so I miss Dio's english voice.
I did enjoy the IMMELMANN TUUUUUUUURN.
I also enjoyed that hot ass older blonde princess.
I also miss Alex fucking Rowe, that other captain was boring as shit.

It could have been worse.

Well I loved it. I came for the bigger ships and wasn't disappointed.

iavi

cajunator said:
That sounds painfully adorable. Is the show like Usagi Drop thematically or storywise?

Take Usagi Drop, and take out some of its 'maturity,' for lack of a better word. There you'll have Ashiteruze Baby. They are very similar in premise.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Branduil said:
Freddie Mercury alone was more amazing than the Beatles. And then you have Ph. D. Astrophysicist God of Rock Brian May. Simply superb.
cajunator said:
That sounds painfully adorable. Is the show like Usagi Drop thematically or storywise?
Yeah let's go with that.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
cajunator said:

Sort of. The daughter isn't illegitimate though, her mother simply disappeared and Kippei is given the duty of taking care of Yuzuyu by the family before he ever has a say in the matter, simply because everyone else was too busy to take care of her. He does grow into it, and he changes quite a bit as the story continues.

Instro

Squid Girl 4

RLMrJ.jpg

zeroshiki

cajunator said:

Its quite similar setup-wise but they shoujo it up with the high school playboy having to take care of this kid who changes him for the better. There are also some really good side characters involved.

Gundage 2.

Still not sure how I feel about Macross F mixing with old school gundam...

But the old school mech vibe it releases is pretty overwhelming.

They don't just toy with the concept of little kiddie = all the military might we got, they freaking go all the way. Kids can build machines that build other machines!

After watching the layton movie, I can see this kid being a distant relative.

What Ben-To is missing is some Kaiji-style metaphors. They already have the language; they just need some over-the-top visual representations of the wolves and the pigs and the boars all going at each other. While we're at it, get the Kaiji narrator in here to do battle commentary. That would truly make this the show of the season.

One thing I neglected to mention earlier is how much I like the next episode previews. The "film set" approach they use, having the characters break the fourth wall immediately after the last scene of the episode, is clever.

trejo

Last Exile Fam - The silver Wing 1

Gonzo is back! Take that as you will.

You would think in the years it's been since the first LE they would've improved their CG or at least learnt how to make it blend in with the characters in a less jarring fashion but then again, this is Gonzo so I don't know why you'd even think that in the first place. The explosions in this are just ridiculously PS1 CG level to the point where it's just sad rather than laughable.

The new OP doesn't hold a candle to Cloud Age Symphony and it feels like one of Maaya Sakamoto's weakest efforts in a while. Thankfully the rest of the music fares a bit better.

Still, as far as first episodes go I've seen worse and I actually like this new main character a lot more than the previous one whose name escapes me at the moment, which is not surprising given how bland he was. Also, a certain character
namely, Dio
is back because, hey, why the fuck not? Everyone seemed to like him before so I guess they figured they might as well.

I'll keep on watching this show for reasons I cannot fully comprehend and probably hate myself all the more for it. Can't wait for next episode.

Dresden

hosannainexcelsis said:
What Ben-To is missing is some Kaiji-style metaphors. They already have the language; they just need some over-the-top visual representations of the wolves and the pigs and the boars all going at each other. While we're at it, get the Kaiji narrator in here to do battle commentary. That would truly make this the show of the season.

One thing I neglected to mention earlier is how much I like the next episode previews. The "film set" approach they use, having the characters break the fourth wall immediately after the last scene of the episode, is clever.
Oh my God.

Enron

Banned
The Goodsmile Racing Miku bmw z4 and the Ikamusume Ferrari are both in the top 10 most downloaded designs on the Forza Motorsport Storefront. Ha.

Dynedom

cajunator said:
Fuck I have that oni, giri. onigiri thing in my head now. Can't stop watching it.

My work here is done.

edit: One of the few times I ever laughed and d'aaaawed at the same time (after he tells her to hurry up).

Enron

Banned
cajunator said:
How hard are those cars to make? I want to try my hand at one. Just got the game today.

Impossible. Give it a try. Most of the anime character decals are several hundered layers.

Enron

Banned
cajunator said:
I'll give it a shot. Is it built with different shaped pieces or what?

Yes. You can look up some time-lapse videos on niconico that people have made. There's one of a guy making Sena from the Duckroll Doesn't Have Any Friends show that's literally like 800 layers. Insanity.

iavi

hosannainexcelsis said:

The episode previews are what actually cemented my idea of them being conscious in their playing with the camera the way they do. Until I saw one, I was actually wondering if it was just a fluke.

It's all so beautifully self-aware. Show of the season.

Natsume's Book of Friends 1

So beautiful. This is what you call a package deal: the art, animation, direction, sound effects, voice acting, and music all come together for an experience rich with atmosphere and mood. I absolutely adore shows like this. There is a bittersweet poignancy in how it portrays Natsume's loneliness, his grandmother's loneliness, the youkai's loneliness, and finally the release all three achieve through the release of the youkai's name. GAF cat is adorable
and his true form awe-inspiring

Watching this helps clarify what I don't like about Aria the Animation, another relaxed and optimistic show. This show is keenly aware of the pain and loss that comes with living, whereas Aria seems barely aware that such things even exist in its relentless idealism. I've seen Aria described as a "healing anime", but I think this episode of Natsume is much better at that due to the simple fact that you have to be sick before you can be healed.

Dresden

guilty crown

Show needs less plot and more explosions. Inori needs to die. I didn't mind Shu; a kid avoiding a confrontation with a bunch of soldiers... that's not exactly cowardice. Needs more wheelchair girl piloting that robot.

Kinda bored most of the way through but when the music kicked in and Shu pulled the sword out from between the retard girl's boobs I was somewhat engaged. Really needs more explosions.

duckroll

Dresden said:
guilty crown

Show needs less plot and more explosions. Inori needs to die. I didn't mind Shu; a kid avoiding a confrontation with a bunch of soldiers... that's not exactly cowardice. Needs more wheelchair girl piloting that robot.

Kinda bored most of the way through but when the music kicked in and Shu pulled the sword out from between the retard girl's boobs I was somewhat engaged. Really needs more explosions.

I think Inori has been dead for a long time!

Enron

Banned
DAYTONA BEACHURU

And also 100% accurate. The whole reason I quit UGAnime when i was in college was because of people like this.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Miri said:
They got me with 'guesteru,' other than that, this was pretty bad,imo.
And totally true.
The best part was the Japanese Teacher and the guy's Japanese girlfriend.

survivor

Banned
Squid Girl 4

Very strong episode. The English parts were hilarious. I love how the blonde girl was talking but you could clearly see her mouth not moving.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Anyone watch Baby Devi?

"I don't have any friends, no one likes me, my life sucks"

lol

Here's a baby.

trejo

icarus-daedelus said:
Was it Claus? Claus and Lavie, right? Shit, I've no idea why I remember that, I don't even like Last Exile.

I did watch it during my formative animu years, though. On TV, even. Maybe that's it.
Claus, right. Honestly the only names I remember from the first one are Alex, Dio and Lavie. Not coincidental, since they also happen to be the three best characters in the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom