• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Jexhius said:
Or just don't watch any.
The first show is excellent. Very atmospheric and fun. I was pretty much addicted to it when it was coming out. It came with some Vanship paper models (which I haven't actually built)

Claus was awesome. Lavie was cute. Alex was suave. Dio was fabulous.

trejo

survivor said:
Squid Girl 4

Very strong episode. The English parts were hilarious. I love how the blonde girl was talking but you could clearly see her mouth not moving.
I thought she was just thinking to herself.

Enron

Banned
cajunator said:
The first show is excellent. Very atmospheric and fun. I was pretty much addicted to it when it was coming out. It came with some Vanship paper models (which I haven't actually built)

Claus was awesome. Lavie was cute. Alex was suave. Dio was fabulous.

Last Exile was great. Everything I've seen tells me this new one, however, is garbage.

I'm avoiding it.

trejo

C3 3

Well, now that my curiosity has been sated I don't know if I'll be keeping up with the show. Now that the novelty of the tonal shift has worn off there's not much left here for me to be interested in, I'm afraid.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Trying to remember an anime series.

Pretty sure it was on Cartoon Network/Adult swim.

I remember young recruits on a spaceship do training or whatever. Gundam or Gundam-like maybe?

Thoraxes

DeathNote said:
Trying to remember an anime series.

Pretty sure it was on Cartoon Network/Adult swim.

I remember young recruits on a spaceship do training or whatever. Gundam or Gundam-like maybe?
Voltron, G-Force Guardians of Space, Dai-Guard, Zoids, Robotech (which is part Macross), Star Blazers.

Gundams are: Gundam 0080 or 08th MS Team, or Mobile Suit Gunadam, Gundam Wing, Gundam SEED, SD Gundam, G Gundam.

That's all I got I think. May be missing a show here or there.

flawfuls

icarus-daedelus said:
Midori or: how I learned icarus has entirely too much time on her hands pt 14

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12085667/midori.jpg[img]
[img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12085667/midori2.jpg[img]

This sweet story is basically your standard shoujo romance in which a young, possibly pre-pubescent (!) girl is taken in kindly by a group of travelling carnies, one of whom, a magic man, she falls in love with, marries, and settles down with for a quiet, peaceful life in the countryside. It is told largely in stills with some animation thrown in. Apparently, original screenings were presented as an actual carnival act in which viewers were tricked into their fate by way of maps instructing them towards an underground screening location, where things were thrown at them during the freakshow performance. This may - or may not! - be the weirdest fucking movie I've seen in my life. Definitely no grotesque bodily deformations, physical and sexual abuse of all kinds, or [spoiler]crushed puppies[/spoiler] to be found here. I would go so far as to recommend it to all, children included! It's g[spoiler]u[/spoiler]r[spoiler]o[/spoiler]eat! I give it 1.7426532 rotten, half-eaten-by-rats-and-snakes bodies out of 5 and an 'A' for effort considering that it was apparently drawn by one dude!

[img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12085667/Shoujo%20Tsubaki%20-%201%20-%20Complete%20Movie%5BMW%5D%5B4AD02275%5D.mkv_snapshot_40.00_%5B2011.10.17_22.27.06%5D.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Yesss. One of the most unique anime I've ever seen. It's something everyone should experience at some point, preferably without knowing anything about it before starting.

cajunator

Banned
Anime fans here are remarkably grounded. Probably because this area has an actual culture of its own to celebrate. I'm sure if I looked hard enough at local conventions I could find some crazies though.
Most of my friends into the stuff are kind of oddballs, but they have no delusions of being Japanese. I guess I should be thankful.

Jex

cajunator said:
Surely they should be CG models only?

I kind of hate Guilty Crown but I'm willing to accept that this show may just not be for me. Code Geass was constantly on the borderline of entertaining/aggravating for me... maybe I just won't suspend the disbelief like I used to? Either way :( Looks like the only show I'll watch this season is the one with the boring card game.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Which I assume is why the method of distributing this in Japan was to hand people maps leading to secret screenings without telling them what they were in for. And then spring some carnival shit on them. Although that is kind of a questionable thing to do!
That sounds like the only way to watch that movie.

Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing 1 -I'm not sure if this was as good I was hoping it would be or not (I really like the original Last Exile, it was a great show), but either way it was definitely good, and a solid start to the series. While the location is apparently different, the world is very familiar, with similar airships, Greek alphabet, and more. The new main character is Fam, who is a daredevil vanship pilot. She's a good lead, probably better than Claus. I'm not sure if her partner and copilot Giselle is as interesting as Lavie, though; she's more like Alister in character I think. Oh, and yes, there was some fanservice, both of Fam and of the elder princess. At least with the princess they had an excuse, she was doing a religious ceremony. Fam not so much, really. It was amusing though.
Sleepwalking, when sleeping in an airship? That's dangerous, it's lucky they think to tie a rope around her... :p

I find the backstory here interesting -- I mean, how Fam and Giselle are
air pirates. It seems to be a whole city (or region?) of pirates, who mostly prey on the ships of the Aves Federation apparently. They're good pirates though, naturally, preying on the badguys and helping the goodguys. Of course. Also, they've taken in Dio, the first character from the original series who has appeared in this one. I expect more to show up, though; Alvis, for instance, is in the OP. Oh, and yeah, Dio's pretty nuts... :)

As for the plot (action, mostly) in this episode,
we learn that the (evil) Aves Federation are attacking a smaller kingdom, and declare war with a massive invasion at what was supposed to be a peace conference, at a lake holy to both sides. The kingdom being attacked is being led by two princesses, who are two of the four major characters in the show (unless you also count Dio). The older one's a decent leader, but they're heavily outnumbered. Then Fam arrives and decides to help out the princesses, provided that they give the pirates their flagship. They agree, and the pirates show up to save the day and delay the enemy fleet in an entertaining manner -- covering the battlefield with fog and then using fake order-lights to get the fleets to shoot at eachother is pretty clever. Then they escape with the flagship,
and then... watch the next episode to see what happens next.

In conclusion, I want to see the next episode now, this ends in the middle of the action and I definitely want to see what happens next. :) That's my main issue with it really, I want to see more sooner... oh well.

trejo said:
Last Exile Fam - The silver Wing 1

Gonzo is back! Take that as you will.
I'm happy to see them back, darnit. Copihan was funny, and now this is shaping up to be pretty good.

You would think in the years it's been since the first LE they would've improved their CG or at least learnt how to make it blend in with the characters in a less jarring fashion but then again, this is Gonzo so I don't know why you'd even think that in the first place. The explosions in this are just ridiculously PS1 CG level to the point where it's just sad rather than laughable.[/quote]
Eh, I thought the CG was good enough. Airships, battles in the sky, fancy flying... it's all there.

The new OP doesn't hold a candle to Cloud Age Symphony and it feels like one of Maaya Sakamoto's weakest efforts in a while. Thankfully the rest of the music fares a bit better.
The music feels a lot like the original series' music, which is a good thing for sure. They did a good job keeping a similar tone, I think.

Still, as far as first episodes go I've seen worse and I actually like this new main character a lot more than the previous one whose name escapes me at the moment, which is not surprising given how bland he was. Also, a certain character
namely, Dio
is back because, hey, why the fuck not? Everyone seemed to like him before so I guess they figured they might as well.
Returning characters?
Don't forget Alvis, who appears in the OP at least, so I expect to see her in the series as well at some point. She's a little older, but not that much.

I'll keep on watching this show for reasons I cannot fully comprehend and probably hate myself all the more for it. Can't wait for next episode.
Because it's a good-looking followup to a great anime, that's why!
Ezalc said:
Last Exile Little Girls Edition 1

I hate the OP.
I hate these bullshit little Vanships.
I hate the main characters.
I hate the tsundere ass bitch princess.
I watched the dub of LE so I miss Dio's english voice.
I did enjoy the IMMELMANN TUUUUUUUURN.
I also enjoyed that hot ass older blonde princess.
I also miss Alex fucking Rowe, that other captain was boring as shit.

It could have been worse.
-The OP is fine.
-There are vanships of all sizes in this show. The pirates have small ones (makes sense), Dio has one like the ones from the original show, the fleets have huge battleships, etc.
-Bah, the main characters, Fam particularly, are pretty good. Fam's a good lead for sure. :)
-She's young and naive, she'll learn...
-Then wait for the dubbed version, if they make one. Dio's Japanese voice is fine, sounds like Dio (I watched the Last Exile sub).

... At least you liked some things about it though. (Oh, and which captain are you talking about? The pirate guy on screen for like 30 seconds? Fam's in the lead in this sereies to a much greater extent than Claus ever was, really, though... that's your main difference there, I think.)

cajunator said:
Anime fans here are remarkably grounded. Probably because this area has an actual culture of its own to celebrate. I'm sure if I looked hard enough at local conventions I could find some crazies though.
Most of my friends into the stuff are kind of oddballs, but they have no delusions of being Japanese. I guess I should be thankful.

I think you need expand on your meaning of "here".

trejo

flawfuls said:
Yesss. One of the most unique anime I've ever seen. It's something everyone should experience at some point, preferably without knowing anything about it before starting.
Sadly, I already know of
the puppies scene
which means I'm not ever touching it with a ten-foot pole.

cajunator

Banned
Infinite Justice said:
In my city here.
I'm sure there are some of those Japan wannabe's but I haven't met them in college or anywhere else in town. It might help that many of my friends are older, and have other things to obsess over, like getting drunk/laid or stoned. That's the true Cajun way.

cajunator

Banned
Regarding new Last Exile, I don't like the new OP and I'm not really liking what I'm seeing. It has a completely different feel from the first series right from the start.
The hottest character in the original series was Tatiana Wisla.
Who is the new one?

Dresden said:
He's probably talking about his state/home region.

true but just to be sure :)

In my city here.
I'm sure there are some of those Japan wannabe's but I haven't met them in college or anywhere else in town. It might help that many of my friends are older, and have other things to obsess over, like getting drunk/laid or stoned. That's the true Cajun way.

Oh ok.

cajunator said:
Regarding new Last Exile, I don't like the new OP and I'm not really liking what I'm seeing. It has a completely different feel from the first series right from the start.
The hottest character in the original series was Tatiana Wisla.
Who is the new one?

Supposedly
she's in this new series so that could be your saving grace

zeroshiki

Infinite Justice said:

Are there any flaming weaboos "here" in this thread? Most people around here have been quite realistic in their fanboyism, I've noticed.

cajunator

Banned
Oh shit son . You done opened a can o worms.

zeroshiki said:
Are there any flaming weaboos "here" in this thread? Most people around here have been quite realistic in their fanboyism, I've noticed.

I doubt it. Most fans in this thread are older.
Most of the weeabooians inhabit dedicated anime forums.

cajunator

Banned
zeroshiki said:
cajunator is the biggest weaboo in this thread
more of a yelloboo

I am part Chinese, and celebrate that culture a lot more. I'm not a fan of the Chinese animation though, except for one show whose name escapes me.

IN general, I like a whole bunch of cultures. I wouldl ike to visit Thailand and Hong Kong especially, as well as several countries in Europe and South America. I would like to check out Africa too but with all the war and shit going on it wouldn't be a great idea.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
zeroshiki said:
There's the "expert".

zeroshiki

Regulus Tera said:
I thought that was 7th.

Oh yeah, banned. Never mind.

7th deserves his own category.

trejo said:
I'm sure it has nothing to do with our charming personalities.

I was just telling firehawk that I thought animegaf has brutal hazing. Its apparently a good idea to keep those people out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom