• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

weeaboo

Krev said:
Re: Penguindrum
I'm thinking that Yuri never intended to rape Ringo at all. She is an actress. She was acting out a villain role from the story outlined in the diary, which is a romance between Shoma and Ringo. Her dialogue in the first half of the episode was very theatrically over the top and villainous, yet she seemed unperturbed by Shoma's attempt to foil her plans and gave them up without a second thought. Just as when she was totally unsurprised to find Tabuki attempting to rape Ringo in her apartment, or when she knew that Ringo was falling in love with Shoma before Ringo did, she had knowledge of what was fated to happen. She was aware that Shoma was going to be at the onsen resort on that night and would end up playing the role of the knight in shining armour saving the princess. She even left the door open to make it easier for him, placing Ringo's phone next to her and allowing her to speak with him.
So the resolution of the cliffhanger wasn't contrived or a deus ex machina within the universe this series operates in. It was DESTINY

Totally agree. Also
Yuri probably wants Ringo to be happy because she's Momoka's sister. She's not a villain, she's just as twisted as everyone.

Horizon on the Middle of Nowhere 3
tumblr_ltcgg1YQXa1qicqpeo1_500.jpg

Ending moments were fun as well as finally
the Remorse Way stuff, which is said, I wish Tori wouldnt blame himself for what happened with Horizon Ariadust
Next episode seems like it will deliver good action.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
weeaboo said:
Totally agree. Also
Yuri probably wants Ringo to be happy because she's Momoka's sister. She's not a villain, she's just as twisted as everyone.
Definitely. I think the big conflict is going to be about
using the diary to save Himari, which would ruin the happily ever after ending to the fairytale that's playing out and cause Ringo to combust like Momoka did. Maybe that would prevent Momoka's resurrection too.
But god knows I've been wrong in my predictions about this show in the past.

I really don't want to see
Ringo try and do something selfless for the Takakura's and suffer for it
but a lot is pointing in that direction.

Sekaiich Hatsukoi 2 ep 3
tumblr_ltfh2ucuY81qhinb3o1_500.png

At what?
Chiaki's response made me laugh. I hope that Yuu will get his happily ever after. Yuu was the highlight of the episode though the only qualm I have with it is that the writer of the source just keeps him out of it, imo, Yuu > Tori, though Chiaki's capstone scene was jaw dropping.

Jex

Krev said:
Re: Penguindrum [Episode 15 Spoilers]
I'm thinking that Yuri never intended to rape Ringo at all. She is an actress. She was acting out a villain role from the story outlined in the diary, which is a romance between Shoma and Ringo. Her dialogue in the first half of the episode was very theatrically over the top and villainous, yet she seemed unperturbed by Shoma's attempt to foil her plans and gave them up without a second thought. Just as when she was totally unsurprised to find Tabuki attempting to rape Ringo in her apartment, or when she knew that Ringo was falling in love with Shoma before Ringo did, she had knowledge of what was fated to happen. She was aware that Shoma was going to be at the onsen resort on that night and would end up playing the role of the knight in shining armour saving the princess. She even left the door open to make it easier for him, placing Ringo's phone next to her and allowing her to speak with him.
So the resolution of the cliffhanger wasn't contrived or a deus ex machina within the universe this series operates in. It was DESTINY
You know, I could maybe kind of buy that explanation if
Yuri had done something to ensure that Shouma was able to 'play the prince', but (as far as we know) she did not. That he happened to be there was, apparently, a complete accident. If they can somehow reveal that it was all staged then yes, I can see that. Just about.

Jexhius said:
Yuri had done something to ensure that Shouma was able to 'play the prince', but (as far as we know) she did not. That he happened to be there was, apparently, a complete accident. If they can somehow reveal that it was all staged then yes, I can see that. Just about.

she has the second part of the diary, so maybe she knows more than any other person about the future

Reknoc

JoJo's Bizarre Adventure 1 - 3

Things really start to speed up by episode 3. The runaway girl stuff has been cut out and the Polnareff fight is on the ghost ship. Not that it's really a bad thing, and they quickly remove any thoughts that Polnareff is a serious character. Orangutan isn't as cool in the anime though :(

Steroyd

Jexhius said:

So far she's been
unfazed by every event that's happened so far, and she's the core reason why Ringo's destiny keeps magnetising to Shouma, during Ringo's arc, like when she was drowning and the only person there was Shouma, getting Tabuki's hand in marriage and driving Ringo to perform even batshit crazier stunts to win Tabuki etc.
It could very well be more than just contrivance especially if fate is the main theme of the show.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Hellsing321 said:
Its Ben-to Saturday!

Bx9uR.jpg

T-minus 10 hours to episode 3! Prepare ye bodies wolves!

On board and ready to fight to the death for my half-priced honor stamped Bento!! *salutes*

Reknoc

Fatexero - 4

So good. Some pretty good action, though broken up by Shonen levels of talking and explaining to the viewer what everything does. Next episode should be good!

Jex

Reknoc said:
Fatexero - 4

So good. Some pretty good action, though broken up by Shonen levels of talking and explaining to the viewer what everything does. Next episode should be good!
Sadly, I think I've come to expect that.

duckroll

Fate Zero Episode 4

I've been looking forward to see how this series would handle a real action sequence with combat between two characters. After it showed that it was totally competition and comfortable with the direction and pace of the dramatic elements of the show, it was finally time to show off what they could do with an actual encounter. This episode did not disappoint. The pace and presentation reminds me a lot of samurai movies or westerns, where the battle is more about analyzing the opponent and preparing for attacks while predicting outcomes, rather than straight fighting. The actual sparring is animated pretty damn impressively, and I really have to say, I love ufotable's CG effects. They add a lot to the atmosphere when done well, because it fits in with the traditional animation, and it looks cool as hell.

Once again, this series continues to show why it is the best new show this season.

:saber :saber

Krev said:
Re: Penguindrum

Dayum, I didn't even think of it like that but it makes sense.

duckroll

Jexhius said:
Sadly, I think I've come to expect that.

I do agree there was a bit too much combat exposition between the characters in the script, but I guess it's a balance between presenting a dynamic and tense fight and also staying somewhat true to the Type Moon rules of conflict. I actually enjoys many of the internal monologues during the fight, because it added to the tension of the conflict and the strategy, but there are definitely many lines they could have dropped entirely to make it more natural.

NewFresh

Met up with my brother who's interest in anime does not reach beyond Naruto and Shaman King. So I decided to watch a few things with him:

Digimon Adventure: Our War Game

- Still fun to watch, especially after both of had seen Summer Wars.

Akira

-It's Akira. I was amazed that he had never seen it before.
"This looks really good, when was it made?"

The Girl Who Leapt Through Time

-He complained about the ending... philistine.

Madoka Ep.1

-I expected him to not like it, but surprisingly he enjoyed it a lot.
"I thought it was just going to be a loli show."

Redline

-He fell asleep 10 min in. Probably because it was really late.

Mawaru Penguindrum 15:
A different kind of episode. It was still very good, but I don't feel like it was quite up to the (very high) standard of quality for the show as a whole. I still enjoyed it though, and I found the explanations and the back story to work pretty well.

Instro

MPD 15
Low budget episode, hopefully they are just saving money rather than being out of money. Other than that though this was a great episode, Yuri's backstory was surprisingly interesting and explained a number of other plot elements.

I wonder if Momoka dying on the train was actually a product of her changing fate?

Im@s 16
Gotta love that alligator.

LordCanti

Mawaru Penguindrum 15:

Now that I know exactly what happened, I'm not sure if I
love where it's going.
I hope they take it in a
different direction than Stein's Gate, where things got all time paradoxy.That is not what I want from a show that makes overt and constant references to Alice in Wonderland.

Right now, I'm speculating that
the Takakura parents were fighting against the timeline becoming too unstable
. Sanetoshi is like
the snake, constantly trying to get everyone around him to bite the apple. The more the diary is used, the more punishment is handed down.

I don't get some of the hate for this episode. I thought the animation was up to par
the scene with Sanetoshi and Kanba in the hallway remains my favorite
and the directing seemed to be okay.

I remain bothered at
Ringo's odd happiness at getting tied up and nearly raped by a woman, and the entire tone of those scenes in general
but since
nothing happened
I can look past it.

All things considered, this was one of the better episodes for me. The continued
failures of Shouma
are always amazing to watch as well. It's not as good as the episode where Sanetoshi was introduced, but it's in my top five I think.

I really hope Double-H wasn't talking about Sanetoshi in that interview. That would suck for Himari

LordCanti said:
Mawaru Penguindrum 15:Now that I know exactly what happened, I'm not sure if I
love where it's going.
I hope they take it in a
different direction than Stein's Gate, where things got all time paradoxy.That is not what I want from a show that makes overt and constant references to Alice in Wonderland.

I don't really see it like that.
She is shifting fate, but I don't think she is destabilizing timelines or anything like that.

LordCanti said:
I remain bothered at
Ringo's odd happiness at getting tied up and nearly raped by a woman, and the entire tone of those scenes in general
but since
nothing happened
I can look past it.

I'm hoping we see things from her POV next episode. Or at least some kind of explanation.

Instro said:
I wonder if Momoka dying on the train was actually a product of her changing fate?

Yeah that is my guess.

LordCanti

Penguin 15

Obsessed said:
I don't really see it like that.
She is shifting fate, but I don't think she is destabilizing timelines or anything like that.

I hope so. They do make it seem like
she went to another timeline though, which is what happened in Stein's Gate. I hope I'm just being paranoid about that.

Obsessed said:
I'm hoping we see things from her POV next episode. Or at least some kind of explanation.

She's going to
wake up and be all "Shouma-kun? What happened? Why are you here? Where's Yuri? Did I fall asleep?". She won't remember what happened at all.
Believe.

Jex

LordCanti said:
Mawaru Penguindrum 15:
[...]I don't get some of the hate for this episode. I thought the animation was up to par
the scene with Sanetoshi and Kanba in the hallway remains my favorite
and the directing seemed to be okay.[...]
It definitely was not up to par with anything, except last episode, which was also pretty bad in that department.

The Place Promised in Our Early Days

Every single shot of this film is lovingly crafted for maximum beauty. Even if it's just two guys talking in a random room, the angles and lighting and composition make it seem like a painting. It's ridiculous!

Of course, the continual beauty is awe-inspiring and evocative, and the existence of actual characters and plot helps to alleviate the self-indulgence of Voices. I actually believed the relationships between the central trio here, since they had more time to breathe and develop. I wish the function of the Tower and its connection to Sayuri had been left more mysterious instead of being coated over with technobabble, but the explanations never got so weighty as to drag the atmosphere of the show down.

I really liked it.

Steroyd

LordCanti said:
Mawaru Penguindrum 15:

Now that I know exactly what happened, I'm not sure if I
love where it's going.
I hope they take it in a

Right now, I'm speculating that
the Takakura parents were fighting against the timeline becoming too unstable
. Sanetoshi is like
the snake, constantly trying to get everyone around him to bite the apple. The more the diary is used, the more punishment is handed down.

It's not like that at all, it's
changing the fate of something and so far the only price for it is self combustion.

I remain bothered at
but since
nothing happened
I can look past it.

It wasn't odd, she was
drugged up
I think it was telling that she still confided in him, even when being in such a position, she got it baaad.

Guilty Crown 2

Wow, that was an awesome end to the skirmish! I love these "just made it in time" situations.
I like the idea of Shu stealing other people's voids. Great albeit common setup for epic fight/action scenes.

Kill-em-all Daryl is an awesome villain.
Hope he isn't dead.

Sword of the Stranger

An excellent snapshot of a turbulent time in Japan's history. The backgrounds, done in the style of traditional Japanese paintings, are fantastic and of course so is the animation. The action scenes were well directed and the film overall was well paced from the opening scenes which quickly set up the story premise and then threw you right into the action, all the way to the steady buildup towards the final satisfying climax. The story weaved together threads about the external threat of China and other foreign powers looming in the background, the internal threat of constantly shifting loyalties among ambitious samurai, and No Name's personal quest for redemption very effectively. Kotaro was an annoying brat at first, but as his relationship with No Name grows, he himself grows as a character. The two of them make a good pair.

One of the better things Bones has done.

LordCanti

Jexhius said:
It definitely was not up to par with anything, except last episode, which was also pretty bad in that department.

I didn't have any problems with the animation. They don't go off model, there are no weird wide shots with misshapen blobs representing characters, etc. Maybe they didn't animate the characters full faces in some scenes, but it didn't really get to me. Basically, they don't make the awful mistakes that the episode in the hospital made (9? 10? I forget). It might not be top-tier animation, but it didn't get in the way of the story. For me anyway.

Steroyd said:
It's not like that at all, it's
changing the fate of something and so far the only price for it is self combustion.

I hope they leave it at that.

Steroyd said:
It wasn't odd, she was
drugged up
I think it was telling that she still confided in him, even when being in such a position, she got it baaad.

She was
drugged, but seemingly lucid. Lucid enough to leave a message on his phone, and then to have a conversation with him. I'd say she knew what was happening to her, and was enjoying it in some weird way. Maybe the drugs were making it seem like what was happening was a good thing, but that's not the impression I was getting.

In any case, it creeped me out.

It was acceptable for me. And it was "just" a story-episode without big action parts, nothing was off or something... better than CGI-Mechs

Andrew J.

Guilty Crown 02

This show was engineered to manipulate the audience's emotional reactions and pander to its desires with all the subtlety of a wrecking ball, but I ain't ashamed to admit I enjoy being pandered to. Plus, I can't think of another mecha show off the top of my head with remote-piloted machines.

Dynedom, sign me up for the train!

Mawaru Penguindrum 15

Man, Yuri's father is a dick.

So, Momoka's diary can shift world lines...

..it is not at all obvious that I just finished Steins;Gate.

LordCanti said:
I didn't have any problems with the animation. They don't go off model, there are no weird wide shots with misshapen blobs representing characters, etc. Maybe they didn't animate the characters full faces in some scenes, but it didn't really get to me. Basically, they don't make the awful mistakes that the episode in the hospital made (9? 10? I forget). It might not be top-tier animation, but it didn't get in the way of the story. For me anyway.

Episode 10 was the off model episode. Episode 9 was the "holy shit they sunk all their budget into this!" episode.

The high number of static shots in the recent episodes doesn't really bother me though.

Andrew J. said:
Mawaru Penguindrum 15

Holy fucking spoilers batman.

Penguindrum 15

Better to burn out than fade away.

Also, seems like Momoka is responsible for her own death from her diary, making the Takakura parents not responsible? Shoma looks dumb now

Outside low production values, this episodes was the best one in a few weeks.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Fate/zero 4 - Some chessy shounen-level dialogue aside, this was some awesome shit, and great pay-off for what the first three episodes have been building up to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom