• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

LordCanti said:
I didn't have any problems with the animation. They don't go off model, there are no weird wide shots with misshapen blobs representing characters, etc. Maybe they didn't animate the characters full faces in some scenes, but it didn't really get to me. Basically, they don't make the awful mistakes that the episode in the hospital made (9? 10? I forget). It might not be top-tier animation, but it didn't get in the way of the story. For me anyway.
"Being on model" is a pretty low bar for quality. I mean, there was a ton of still shots and awkwardness that really pulled me out of the experience. I mean, they even did an
action sequence
with still shots, which was really awkward.
Obsessed said:
The high number of static shots in the recent episodes doesn't really bother me though.
Eh, static shot aren't automatically a bad thing. But let's face it, they're pretty weak stills. I mean, if your stills look like this:

oniisamamemories.jpg

I'll complain less. It's kind of a shame these MPD stills can't be as great as the Dezaki ones, considering how much of an influence Dezaki's works were on Ikuhara. The above shot if from Oniisama E..., one of a handful of anime titles that was clearly a direct inspiration for various facets of Revolutionary Girl Utena. Well, to be fair, there was actually a classic Dezaki-esque still frame earlier in the show.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Jexhius said:
You know, I could maybe kind of buy that explanation if
Yuri had done something to ensure that Shouma was able to 'play the prince', but (as far as we know) she did not. That he happened to be there was, apparently, a complete accident. If they can somehow reveal that it was all staged then yes, I can see that. Just about.
It's possible that, much like Sanetoshi said he wanted to do in episode 13, she was
testing fate. She wanted to see if Shoma would arrive on the scene, as predicted, by 'complete accident', and seemed pleased when he did. In the past she seemed to know that Ringo was going to be in a specific emotional state at a specific time so she could take her to the resort (and at the end of the last episode commented that everything was playing out as predicted by the diary), and she wasn't bothered when she came home to find her husband a frogman rapist pursuing Ringo, so is it really much of a stretch to assume she knew Shoma would turn up?
LordCanti said:
She was
drugged, but seemingly lucid. Lucid enough to leave a message on his phone, and then to have a conversation with him. I'd say she knew what was happening to her, and was enjoying it in some weird way. Maybe the drugs were making it seem like what was happening was a good thing, but that's not the impression I was getting.

In any case, it creeped me out.
I didn't really get that vibe.
She was drunk and drugged and open to suggestion.
LordCanti said:
She's going to
wake up and be all "Shouma-kun? What happened? Why are you here? Where's Yuri? Did I fall asleep?". She won't remember what happened at all.
Believe.
Yep.
LordCanti said:
I hope they leave it at that.
I'm pretty sure that's all there will be to it. However, I think it will be much like
Steins;Gate in that the price for changing the timeline to save one person will be the death of another, much like what likely happened to Momoka 16 years ago. Unlike that show, I don't think it will back out of the moral choice with a perfect 'third option'.

LordCanti said:
Mawaru Penguindrum 15:
I really hope Double-H wasn't talking about Sanetoshi in that interview. That would suck for Himari
Haha, the thought crossed my mind too.

Jex

El Sloth said:
So, has Chihayafuru usurped Guilty Crown yet as the messiah of anime?
I don't see why that would be, considering that one of those shows was actually good from the beginning.

Slam Dunk - 1

XP3Nj.jpg

The last time I read was for over 10 years and I loved it, but I never saw the anime. After dropping two season animes I have now time for a good old sport anime with 101 episodes and three OVAs.

And the opening song sounds so fantastic, it's incredible!

cajunator said:
That is magnificent.
It will always be magnificent.

I want a Cajunator body pillow!

Instro

Fate/Zero 4
That was awesome guys, totally lived up to my expectations. The battle itself looked great, plus the maneuvering going on outside the battle field was good stuff .
Fucking Rider making his entrance like a boss, what a manly man! And Lancer is such a suave dude, he's so smug too.

Also I enjoy a bit of cheese dialouge during my battles, so lets keep that going too.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Mawaru Penguinchisel 15: To be honest, I'm not sure how much more fuck my mind can take. This was just... weird. Yeah, I'm not sure what to say anymore when I watch this show.

Krev said:
Re: Penguindrum
I'm thinking that Yuri never intended to rape Ringo at all. She is an actress. She was acting out a villain role from the story outlined in the diary, which is a romance between Shoma and Ringo. Her dialogue in the first half of the episode was very theatrically over the top and villainous, yet she seemed unperturbed by Shoma's attempt to foil her plans and gave them up without a second thought. Just as when she was totally unsurprised to find Tabuki attempting to rape Ringo in her apartment, or when she knew that Ringo was falling in love with Shoma before Ringo did, she had knowledge of what was fated to happen. She was aware that Shoma was going to be at the onsen resort on that night and would end up playing the role of the knight in shining armour saving the princess. She even left the door open to make it easier for him, placing Ringo's phone next to her and allowing her to speak with him.
So the resolution of the cliffhanger wasn't contrived or a deus ex machina within the universe this series operates in. It was DESTINY

Okay, yeah I can see that. I guess I'm just not watching this show with the right perspective. I need to change my glasses. Wait, I don't wear glasses. Maybe that's the problem. I need to start wearing glasses.

Master Milk said:
So wait, is Yuri not packing any heat between her thighs?

Her father did Genital Reassignment surgery. He took thigh, arm, and cheek to construct a phallic device between her legs.

Edit: I put in a URL illustrating the point but sorry for that. Didn't know it would show the link.

Jarmel

Banned
Fate/Zero 4

Really mixed feelings on this. The choreography later on was much much better but the earlier scenes were too close and limited in regards to the camera angles. Also the battle seems more realistic compared to FS/N which I'm not sure is a good thing or not.

Also lol at Lancer being a nobody.

Heroic Age 4

Who doesn't love futuristic car hopping fights?

Looks like not everyone from the Tribe of Hero is as nice as Age. Or it's just a misunderstanding.

Ezalc

Infernodash said:
Her father did Genital Reassignment surgery. He took thigh, arm, and cheek to construct a phallic device between her legs.

Edit: I put in a URL illustrating the point but sorry for that. Didn't know it would show the link.

Damn.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Infernodash said:
He has an obsession with Hermaphroditus sculptures. The statue of David comment kinda confirms it. They're (hermaphroditus sculptures) all over his room.
Christ. I want to say that you're overthinking it, but that actually fits in with his dialogue.
Still, I'm not quite convinced that's what was being communicated.

Cwarrior

Fate zero 4

Great episode, love my shounen fight with unique abilities, some tactics and exchange of words.

Never fond of magic in battles but it was handled very well, nice to know that they have some limitations.

Rider makes his grand pimp'n entrance showing of why he is the kings of kings
Lancer also cool and a lot of fun to watch fight
who's saber?

Where do I sign to get on this hype train?

PdotMichael said:
Why? Can you say some points? I read Slam Dunk already, so I want just a old school sport anime.

it gets really slow. imaging 5-min anime time about the thoughts while dribbling.

and it ends
with a filler mini arc just before they got to nationals.

Krev said:
Christ. I want to say that you're overthinking it, but that actually fits in with his dialogue.
Still, I'm not quite convinced that's what was being communicated.

In the beginning, I thought he was trying to develop an incestuous relationship. But, after each scene with the chisel, and rewatching the initial dialogue, it starts to make sense. He's sculpting her beauty. Just replace the chisel with a scalpel and he becomes a surgeon.

Infernodash said:

Er ugh....

I really don't think that is the case.

I assumed the
chisel was a symbol for physical abuse, as well as sexual abuse. You see her naked and hear a constant pounding sound.

Renmei said:
Rider is a Boss, that is all.

Yeah Rider is the sexiest anime character I've seen in awhile. So manly.

Obsessed said:
Er ugh....

I assumed the
chisel was a symbol for physical abuse, as well as sexual abuse. You see her naked and hear a constant pounding sound.

Yeah Rider is the sexiest anime character I've seen in awhile.

See that's the reason why I love MWP. You can literally analyze it several ways and come up with completely differing explanations and it still makes sense. Nonetheless, I'm taking into context, the
secret of her body
comment that was made in the last ep.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Obsessed said:
Er ugh....

I assumed the
This is how I interpret it too.

Jarmel

Banned
Krev said:
This is how I interpret it too.

That's what I thought initially too, but how would that have made her body ugly? Now he could have been sexually abusing her while mutiliating her genitals.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Jarmel said:
That's what I thought initially too,
but how would that have made her body ugly? Now he could have been sexually abusing her while mutiliating her genitals.
I thought he was just
sexually abusing her while mutilating her body, which is why she was coming to school with more and more signs of injury.

Dynedom

Legend of Galactic Heroes: My Conquest Is The Sea Of Stars

A day late on this because I had to go out. Overture is also on the way...

ZqIGB.jpg

ZOmzO.jpg

Now this is more like it!

From a story standpoint, this is great. We get the
same political subterfuge
that we come to expect from LoGH. It's also amusing how both Reinhard and Wang
always seem to rise to the occasion,
albeit in different ways (
the second screenshot should point to it being a hollow point at best
). It's also particularly delicious
in Reinhard's case because he's got that political bulls-eye on his back
. These "battles" themselves are fun.

The all-important
meeting between Reinhard and Wang
honestly could not have been done in a better way,
in the midst of a battle with Wang acting as a good foil to Reinhard's brilliance and asserting himself as a force to be reckoned with
. I also like that as early as this movie, we see where the possible paths where these characters are going to be going (particularly Wang learning to assert himself a bit more and Reinhard being humbled).

From an animation standpoint, nothing to worry about. You still get the odd intra-crew fistfights (which is admittedly better than Golden Wings, imho) but the really juicy stuff is the actual space (and in this case
planetary
) combat. It's just so fluid. Once again, these movies bring a tear to my eye as they harken back to a day where things could be so vivid without having to rely on things like CG. The quality of the art speaks for itself.

The biggest improvement I find is in the score. It's fantastic. One part I particularly liked was when
Reinhard's left wing advances to what appears to be suicide in the climax of the film.
. It is by all means a really tense scene, with
officers themselves leaning forward in their seats in anticipation of what will happen
. Despite that, the music is alarmingly calm (even serene). The brilliant thing is that it's not out of place and almost
spoiler-ish in itself (give what eventually happens)

Overall, a really good entry into the LoGH universe. Highly recommended.

Next up: Overture to a New War!

LordCanti

Penguin 15

Obsessed said:
Er ugh....

I assumed the

Normally I'd agree, but in this case, she
had wounds on her that aren't really consistent with sexual abuse.

The whole
"He gave her a penis!"
theory seems like bunk to me though, since
Shouma didn't go "Y U HAVE PENIS?!" despite getting a clear look at her

I think he was just trying to
make her look less like the mother, who I'm assuming left him
. I'm not convinced that there wasn't also
sexual abuse
but there is nothing to confirm that.

Edit: Oh, and although it's kind of a horrible statement, you generally don't
die from being molested. Momoka was pretty sure Yuri would die if it continued

Bakuman 2 ep 4
tumblr_lthuc30VbH1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Really Eiji?!This episode had the type of drama and suspense that I like, Ashirogi Muto and ratings. Standard Bakuman quality, and Bakuman at its finest. I wish they showed more storyboards of Detective Trap.
The way they keep Hattori in the background, monitoring, makes me feel like he will have some major role again in the future, I can only hope

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
LordCanti said:
Penguin 15
I'm not convinced that there wasn't also
sexual abuse
but there is nothing to confirm that.[/spoiler]
The scene where Yuri's father tells her that he's the only one that can love her and beckons her over, before we cut to a shot of her (suddenly) nude legs as she walks towards him is pretty strongly suggestive of that.
There's nothing to confirm that he was actually chiseling at her either. Everything is just implied.

Infernodash said:
See that's the reason why I love MWP. You can literally analyze it several ways and come up with completely differing explanations and it still makes sense. Nonetheless, I'm taking into context, the
secret of her body
comment that was made in the last ep.

I just assumed the
secret was that she was defiled by her father, and probably physically scarred from abuse.

I mean... her
father isnt a surgeon. I really really don't think you can chisel someone's skin off and fashion it into a penis and then attach that to their body unless you have a lot of fancy medical equipment.

LordCanti said:
Penguin 15

Normally I'd agree, but in this case, she
had wounds on her that aren't really consistent with sexual abuse.

The whole
"He gave her a penis!"
theory seems like bunk to me though, since
Shouma didn't go "Y U HAVE PENIS?!" despite getting a clear look at her

I think he was just trying to
make her look less like the mother, who I'm assuming left him
. I'm not convinced that there wasn't also
sexual abuse
but there is nothing to confirm that.

Edit: Oh, and although it's kind of a horrible statement, you generally don't
die from being molested. Momoka was pretty sure Yuri would die if it continued

I don't think you understand what I was saying.

I mentioned physical abuse as well. Why does it only have to be one? Her father could have been beating her with his chisel (mutilating her body), and then having sex with her.

I'm not going
hurr durr she is getting injured and gonna die from rough sex.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom