• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Totakeke

PenguinDrummm 15

We need to obtain the pingdrum to save anime forever.

Wait WAIT, if Yuri knew about the diary, why the hell did she only want it now after so many years?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Totakeke said:
PenguinDrummm 15

Wait WAIT, if Yuri knew about the diary, why the hell did she only want it now after so many years?
Don't ask!

Totakeke said:
PenguinDrummm 15

Maybe that will be explained.

And I feel kind of odd. It seems people have been thinking the series has gone downhill since Episode 12, but I'm liking it more and more. It has been a very enjoyable ride thus far and I can't wait to see the ending.

Jex

[JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 3: 1 - 3]

jojocaptain.jpg

You kind of have to experience it for yourself.

Guilty Crown 2

Maaan too bad
Daryl is a crazy spoiled brat =( I find it hard to cheer for a villain when they are like that, -sigh-
in any case I enjoyed the ep. and I'll be with this series to the end.

Instro

Obsessed said:

And I feel kind of odd. It seems people have been thinking the series has gone downhill since Episode 12, but I'm liking it more and more. It has been a very enjoyable ride thus far and I can't wait to see the ending.
I haven't seen 15 yet, but I dont think its gone downhill(at least not markedly so, like say the first few episodes of the 2nd half of Iroha) there's been some inconstancy but the actual content has been highly engaging.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
go nana go said:
What's with the Chisel?!
Freud would be proud.
Obsessed said:

Obsessed is officially cool people now.

Articalys

We need to make another one of those lists like we did for Guilty Crown, except this time sorted by people who believe in DESTINY and people who don't.

Jex

Penguin Drum 15

You know, that was actually better than the last episode and not as bad as I had feared. It still had a number of issues, such as
the whole opening was really contrived. As soon as we got to the flashback, it was fine.

Fine in the sense that there clearly wasn't much budget, and the direction still isn't particularly good. Unfortunately the show hasn't had much budget for the past three episodes! As for the events themselves, I'm still intrigued.
firehawk12 said:
Penguins 15: Ah, yep, I knew it. Slapstick is the easiest way to end a tense scene and write yourself out of a bind. Trying to use that as a way to justify a dramatic change in character motivation, on the other hand, is strange thing indeed.
You did? I guess you mean
the lack of rape

Fate Zero 3

As long the show maintains this quality until the end, this may very well be my favorite series this season. I like Waver's character and his chemistry with his servant is something that I find funny in light of the more serious pairings and I wonder if Uryuu will have more screentime.

Cheska

cosmicblizzard said:
Oh hi Cheska! Didn't think you'd come in here. Anyway, it's probably best to ignore Branduil. X-men is pretty great.

Hey Cosmic :) X-Men's not on G4 tv. I wonder if they screwed the times up.

Jex

darkside31337 said:
Hunter x Hunter (2011) 01-02:

To the shounen iconoclasts in here, is this series at least on par with the old one thus far? Having not seen the original series I have no perspective here. .
Not even close.

Cheska said:
Hey Cosmic :) X-Men's not on G4 tv. I wonder if they screwed the times up.

Yeah, probably some kind of scheduling error. I know the episode is ready to go because it was at NYCC, so no clue what's up with that.

darkside31337 said:

A pretty quirky shonen series! Like the first couple of introductory episodes which is a rarity in these long shounen series that typically start off pretty uninteresting. But does the main character really
use a fishing rod as his main weapon? A fishing rod?!?

To the shounen iconoclasts in here, is this series at least on par with the old one thus far? Having not seen the original series I have no perspective here.

The ending to this series is so wat. The song just doesn't fit at all and well there's that scene involving a man's crotch lighting up into golden flashes of light. I have no idea what's going on there.

Right now it looks like the original is the way to go, but this one might be worth it at some point down the line. Really, it's hard to predict how stuff will play out because if it indeed gets further than the original, it will have to be censored to hell and back.

As for the ED, the glowing crotch thing actually happens. It also alludes to quite a few of the more... dark scenes and themes the series has. Really, it WOULD fit later on. One of the few reasons I'm still hopeful despite the censorship.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Oh God I finished the Persona 4 Endurance Run. I cannot believe I just watched a hundred plus hours of people finishing a game I already finished. The ending just dawned on me why I'm impervious to the cartoon's badness -I just love these characters too much.

Regulus Tera said:
Oh God I finished the Persona 4 Endurance Run. I cannot believe I just watched a hundred plus hours of people finishing a game I already finished. The ending just dawned on me why I'm impervious to the cartoon's badness -I just love these characters too much.

Dude, watch One Piece or something if you can watch 110 hours of some guys playing a game you already beat. At least I had it on in the background while doing other stuff (like fapping to Jeff's voice).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
cosmicblizzard said:
Dude, watch One Piece or something if you can watch 110 hours of some guys playing a game. At least I had it on in the background while doing other stuff.
B-But I could watch a walk-through of Final Fantasy XIII-2! That way I don't have to pay Squeenix for their shit and still get to complain about their stupid plots.

EDIT: My problem with One Piece isn't just the length, but also the fact that I don't know how long until it actually ends. That makes the task even more daunting.

Maken-Ki 2 - This show is bad. Bad-bad, not good-bad. Smart people will have dropped it by now.

Also, the MC is a horribly unlikable character. First, he's sexist, in that moronic Shirou way -- he doesn't want to fight women, even though now it has been repeatedly and pointedly proven to him that the girls at this school are all quite strong and competent fighters, indeed without question stronger than he is at the moment. He's sticking to his idiotic sexism even despite the fact that he must know that. He isn't as annoying as Shirou yet, but he's pretty bad, and apparently it gets even worse in episode three.

Second, he is a super generic harem protagonist -- he's a perverted loser who has three girls after him and living in the same apartment he is, just because. He goes to peek on the girls changing, he gets beaten up by the tsundere girl (it's kind of too bad she didn't succeed at killing him in episode 1...), etc, this stuff writes itself.

And third... um, what reason is there for the audience to actually like this guy? Or much of anyone else in this show, for that matter... they're all idiots, pretty much. The only real fanbase I can think of who might actually be liking this show is pantyshot fans, because this has more pantyshots, with more detail, than any anime I can think of in some time. But apart from that, it's pretty awful. I doubt I'll get much farther into it, either...

cosmicblizzard said:
2006 and I've only seen 1 episode so far, but it seems pretty neat. More authentic American than most shows taking place there (no highschool uniforms, lack of honorifics, etc.). There's even a Seinfeld reference at one point from what I heard.
Wait, anime set in America that has a shred of accuracy in its setting? How uncommon... :)

scy said:
Wait, Nobunaga isn't evil? Anime has lied to me!
Yeah, there has to be some poetic license here, otherwise any shock and awe about characters is immediately lost when their important moments in history occur or historic deaths occur. It'll be refreshing to have a crazy, possibly evil, Tokugawa.
Nobunaga is usually evil, sure, but hey, what about something like Battle Girls? Nobunaga wasn't evil there. :)
But yeah, as for this show, I also am not expecting it to entirely follow the history... and yes, an evil Tokugawa might be interesting. :)

I suppose. We'll see if it gets expanded upon or if the only relevant bit was:
Horizon died, Tori blames himself.
For now, that's true.

Yup, basically~ MC status is a powerful ability.
Too powerful, I think...

WE MEET. WE FIGHT. WE GRAB ASS. Depart. That's basically all that happened. Damn you, misleading built-up tension.
... That really just does not make much sense... is it just another element of this show's poor pacing and questionable writing, I guess?

Regulus Tera said:
B-But I could watch a walk-through of Final Fantasy XIII-2! That way I don't have to pay Squeenix for their shit and still get to complain about their stupid plots.

EDIT: My problem with One Piece isn't just the length, but also the fact that I don't know how long until it actually ends. That makes the task even more daunting.

It's about the journey, not the destination, dude. You know how you felt like the P4 characters were your friends by the end of the game? Well imagine that with the strawhats, but for the next 10 years. It's awesome!

But yeah, totally understandable reason not to check it out.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
cosmicblizzard said:
It's about the journey, not the destination, dude. You know how you felt like the P4 characters were your friends by the end of the game? Well imagine that with the strawhats, but for the next 10 years. It's awesome!
If I'm gonna commit for that long they better put out.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
Mawaru Creepy Drum Ep 15

That Chisel is going to give me nightmares. Jesus christ. O_O

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
With regard to Penguindrum episode 15 being 'contrived'...
Yamashita has got to be involved in Momoka's plan somehow. In the first episode he was trying to direct Shoma's attention to Ringo, and now he brings him to the room next door at the onsen resort where Yuri has Ringo drugged. Not to mention the incredibly suspicious obscuring of his face.

Jex

I think the most interesting thing about Penguin Drum 15 is
the nature of the Penguin Drum was actually revealed, and it died directly into the themes that the show has been discussing since day one. I can't say I was expecting that!

Just finished watching Fullmetal Alchemist episode 56.
King Bradley vs Greed/Old man/soldiers was jaw-dropping
The last few episodes have been great!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Guilty crown 2 - The show still continues to be ridiculously cliche and i like it especially the hilarious over-dramatic dialogue, although if i have one qualm about the series (apart from the bad writing) is that all the female characters seem to be obviously designed as obvious titillation material for the otaku fanbase.:( oh and inori still sucks and I don't see that changing anytime soon mmm.

Penguin drum 15 - Some clunky writing and mediocre direction aside i actually really enjoyed this episode, although I still have some qualms with where the plot is heading at this point, and I had this same complaint about last week to but the whole
yuri being revealed as a major player in the series, feels incredibly awkward since she barely had a presence in the first half of the series at all.:/

Jex

Lafiel said:
Penguin drum 15 - Some clunky writing and mediocre direction aside i actually really enjoyed this episode, although I still have some qualms with where the plot is heading at this point, and I had this same complaint about last week to but the whole
yuri being revealed as a major player in the series, feels incredibly awkward since she barely had a presence in the first half of the series at all.:/
I don't really get this complaint considering that
Yuri has been present since the first episode, where she only appeared on posters. But she's been in numerous Ringo related scenes since the Ringo-arc really got going and she's had plenty of screen time. She's been built up quite a bit.
firehawk12 said:
Not that, but more how it was "resolved".
That was some serious
written into a corner type stuff

weeaboo

Penguindrum 15

I like it and the story is really interesting but there's something definitely off in the latest episodes. Lack of budget probably :\

scy

Wait, what? Haqua might win? Oh my. Good taste confirmed?

A Black Falcon said:
Maken-Ki 2 - This show is bad. Bad-bad, not good-bad. Smart people will have dropped it by now.

To be fair, did anyone expect otherwise?

... That really just does not make much sense... is it just another element of this show's poor pacing and questionable writing, I guess?

It might be? I'm hoping there's more to it
like, some reason the Four Heavenly Kings needed to meet (...minus Ii)
that we weren't shown. Otherwise, it's basically just a grabass scene for no reason. Horizon has enough to wade through as is, it seems; why add these unnecessary detours? :/

Hellsing321 said:
Its Ben-to Saturday!

http://i.imgur.com/Bx9uR.jpg[IMG]

T-minus 10 hours to episode 3! Prepare ye bodies wolves![/quote]

Honestly, I didn't picture myself at the start of the season to be looking forward to it but, damn I want some more.

[quote=Lafiel]Penguin drum 15 - Some clunky writing and mediocre direction aside i actually really enjoyed this episode, although I still have some qualms with where the plot is heading at this point, and I had this same complaint about last week to but the whole [spoiler]yuri being revealed as a major player in the series, feels incredibly awkward since she barely had a presence in the first half of the series at all.:/[/spoiler].[/quote]

As opposed to [spoiler]a new character? I mean, I'd rather they use someone already introduced rather than "Ta-dah! Game changing character mid-way through!" And, besides, she's been an ever present force, albeit never really a primary focus.[/spoiler]

Steroyd

Penguindrum - 15

The
Ringo
part of the OP makes sense now.

darkside31337 said:

A pretty quirky shonen series! Like the first couple of introductory episodes which is a rarity in these long shounen series that typically start off pretty uninteresting. But does the main character really
use a fishing rod as his main weapon? A fishing rod?!?

To the shounen iconoclasts in here, is this series at least on par with the old one thus far? Having not seen the original series I have no perspective here.

The ending to this series is so wat. The song just doesn't fit at all and well there's that scene involving a man's crotch lighting up into golden flashes of light. I have no idea what's going on there.

I'm currently watching the old one, while watching the new one, and I have to say that it's absolutely no competition that the old has been superior and will be forever superior if they gimp Hisoka in the reboot.

So far in the reboot to put simply it's almost like the Persona anime where they're taking a fair few too many liberties and assume people have already watched the original and skipping certain aspects of the main characters.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
scy said:
As opposed to
a new character? I mean, I'd rather they use someone already introduced rather than "Ta-dah! Game changing character mid-way through!" And, besides, she's been an ever present force, albeit never really a primary focus.
That's not what I'm implying really, personally I think the problems are largely with the earlier episodes, they put to much emphasis on ringo, and as a result certain characters weren't given the proper development they should have, especially since the "ringo" stuff in ep5-8 really didn't amount to that much in the long-term.

Jex

Lafiel said:
That's not what I'm implying really, personally I think the problems are largely with the earlier episodes, they put to much emphasis on ringo, and as a result certain characters weren't given the proper development they should have, especially since the "ringo" stuff in ep5-8 really didn't amount to that much in the long-term.
I dunno, it seems
that Yuri has been shown on multiple occasions beforehand, but always from the perspective of other characters. They were...wrong about her, but that's kind of the point. Yuri, like certain other characters, is not how she appears on the surface. Throughout these episodes we're learning more about that.

However, I can see an actual problem with the way the story has started to focus on her. The transition to this Yuri arc was...well..there really wasn't one. It was just that the episode (14) started and suddenly it was all about Yuri. That was weird.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Re: Penguindrum
I'm thinking that Yuri never intended to rape Ringo at all. She is an actress. She was acting out a villain role from the story outlined in the diary, which is a romance between Shoma and Ringo. Her dialogue in the first half of the episode was very theatrically over the top and villainous, yet she seemed unperturbed by Shoma's attempt to foil her plans and gave them up without a second thought. Just as when she was totally unsurprised to find Tabuki attempting to rape Ringo in her apartment, or when she knew that Ringo was falling in love with Shoma before Ringo did, she had knowledge of what was fated to happen. She was aware that Shoma was going to be at the onsen resort on that night and would end up playing the role of the knight in shining armour saving the princess. She even left the door open to make it easier for him, placing Ringo's phone next to her and allowing her to speak with him.
So the resolution of the cliffhanger wasn't contrived or a deus ex machina within the universe this series operates in. It was DESTINY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom