• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

wonzo

Banned
SxkrC.jpg

CCS Movie 1
Pretty much an 80 minute long episode of CCS with high production values. It did start to drag on towards the end, but overall I enjoyed it.

Cencoroll
This was a neat short film. It's amazing that this was done almost entirely by one person. I'm looking forward to the sequel.

_woLf said:
I really enjoy it, what do you not like about it? How much did you like the game?
The inconsistently poor art, stilted animation and bland mc (I did expect the later). The entire shows just feels really empty and bland. I've only watched some of the Giant Bomb ED so I can't comment on whether I enjoyed the game (I'm planing on playing the Vita port when it gets localized.)

LordCanti

Erigu said:
[Mawaru-Penguindrum 15]

I don't know what happened to Tabuki's fingers. I was referring to something Momoka said she did in this week's episode: she saved a rabbit's life, and one of her fingers received a small wound as a result.

Ohhh. So that
mystery remains. I wonder what he did in the diary to cause that wound? Probably killed Momoka accidentally or something. Put her into a hat anyway

trejo

Persona 4: The Animation episode 3

This is a bad adaptation. Large swathes of story are cut out for the sake of time but nothing is put in their place so we are left with gaping holes in the narrative. Take the scene with Brosuke and the swords, for instance. Here they included it because it was needed for the subsequent police station scene but then the plot point is completely thrown away and next you know they're prancing around with their weapons in hand again with no explanation. When something doesn't fit in an adaptation you don't cut it up until it does and expect the viewer to have previous knowledge of the material in order to fill in the blanks. That's lazy as all get out.

On the other hand, it's good to know Charlie can swap Personas after all. Maybe my hopes for a Mara appearance are not yet lost.

trejo said:
Persona 4: The Animation episode 3

This is a bad adaptation. Large swathes of story are cut out for the sake of time but nothing is put in their place so we are left with gaping holes in the narrative. Take the scene with Brosuke and the swords, for instance. Here they included it because it was needed for the subsequent police station scene but then the plot point is completely thrown away and next you know they're prancing around with their weapons in hand again with no explanation. When something doesn't fit in an adaptation you don't cut it up until it does and expect the viewer to have previous knowledge of the material in order to fill in the blanks. That's lazy as all get out.

On the other hand, it's good to know Charlie can swap Personas after all. Maybe my hopes for a Mara appearance are not yet lost.

I enjoyed the Sword scene

tumblr_ltfi6rbGmg1qd2tiuo1_500.gif

Though my only qualm was that it came out rushed and they instantly reach the destination with no explanation. Shouldnt Chie have those glasses?

Heroic Age 2

Age is pretty much Goku with really pretty eyelashes. Him making a mess of the banquet was awesome. That's why you don't take feral children to an important high-class fate of the world meeting thing.

Mech fights are awesome so far. Now I can see why people call it DBZ with mechs. The scale is insane after only 2 episodes and it's not all just beam spam, though even that is incredibly well done.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
darkside31337 said:
Trust me there are plenty of people here who have opinions about shows they didn't even watch a single minute of.

You're already better than they are.
Do I really have to watch C³ to know it'll be completely unpleasant?

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I have a question for Anime-GAF. This will either be a very interesting question with some very obscure answers, or a very simple "No," so here goes.

Has there ever been an anime that has depicted an American female who's flat? Or at least not well-endowed in the chest? I was just randomly wondering this, as I can't think of any.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
PdotMichael said:
My opinion about a anime is based on the hentai ratio. Many hentais = bad. A perfect system
Sounds like a pretty convenient excuse to look up hentai.

RurouniZel said:
I have a question for Anime-GAF. This will either be a very interesting question with some very obscure answers, or a very simple "No," so here goes.

Has there ever been an anime that has depicted an American female who's flat? Or at least not well-endowed in the chest? I was just randomly wondering this, as I can't think of any.

One of the Red Garden protagonists. Maybe more depending on how you define "flat".

trejo

RurouniZel said:

There's one in Genshiken.

RurouniZel said:
Hm, never heard of it. How old is it, and is it good?

2006 and I've only seen 1 episode so far, but it seems pretty neat. More authentic American than most shows taking place there (no highschool uniforms, lack of honorifics, etc.). There's even a Seinfeld reference at one point from what I heard.

RurouniZel

cosmicblizzard said:
2006 and I've only seen 1 episode so far, but it seems pretty neat. More authentic American than most shows taking place there (no highschool uniforms, lack of honorifics, etc.). There's even a Seinfeld reference at one point from what I heard.

Huh. I'll have to check that out sometime.

trejo said:
There's one in Genshiken.

This is one of those shows I keep telling myself I need to watch, and then never do, for whatever reason. :/

RurouniZel said:
So the one in the front I'm assuming? I like the art style, so now I need to check it out.

I was actually referring to the one in the back left because her's look smaller on the pic on the Wiki page, but they're both pretty flat. Don't think it's brought up though since it's horror and all >_>

RurouniZel

cosmicblizzard said:
I was actually referring to the one in the back left because her's look smaller on the pic on the Wiki page, but they're both pretty flat. Don't think it's brought up though since it's horror and all >_>

Ah okay. Well either way I've become curious to see if this show is good or not. :)

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
cosmicblizzard said:
Persona 4 3

I like how MC has went from a somewhat expressive silent protagonist to a stoic cloud cuckoo lander. I guess it's the next step up, but funny nonetheless.

I will never be able to give an unbiased critique to this since it's friggin P4. The scene could be Yosuke taking a dump and I'd still be like "fuck yeah!" if Reach out to the Truth was playing. I'm loving what we've already seen and what is being added. The dog was a nice touch and I hope it shows up in Gold.
cosmicblizzard is my true nakama

sorry trejo

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
wonzo said:
http://i.imgur.com/SxkrC.jpg
CCS Movie 1
Pretty much an 80 minute long episode of CCS with high production values. It did start to drag on towards the end, but overall I enjoyed it.
The Sealed Card is, on the other hand, magnificent from every angle you look at it. Go watch that instead.

scy

Regulus Tera said:
The Sealed Card is, on the other hand, magnificent from every angle you look at it. Go watch that instead.

Wow, I haven't seen that movie in so long. So good all those years ago. Didn't it recently get a Blu-Ray re-release? I should look into buying that...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Hitokage said:
Red Garden is more Realistic Magical Girl than Horror.

Some people didn't like it, but I did.

Honestly I would say it's more of a Musical than anything else. Or maybe that's all I remember about it.

Didn't hate the series but it wasn't particularly good either.

All My Friends Have Nice Butts 3

Crazy otaku imouto. Nice. Apparently bath water going cold is one of the worst things ever.

Eroge>literature? Absolutely. Another reason why Meat is the best character.

Articalys

Mawaru Penguindrum 15

Every time I think this show can't get any weirder, it does.

So now we've got alternate realities in play or something? Also, god damn Yuri's father is (was?) creepy.

wonzo

Banned
iM@S 16
Hibiki got robbed bigtime with this rather shit episode, it's made even more disappointing after last weeks great one. :(

Penguins;Gate 15
So basically Momoka's diary is a self-immolating D-mail. I guess the band-aid might be related to the marks on Tabuki's hand. Whilst the new OP isn't as good as the old one I like how it hints that Kanba is gonna team up with Masako.
Sanetoshi still owns.

Regulus Tera said:
I'll watch that when I finish the rest of the series (up to ep 38).

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Momoka Penguindrum 15: This show is so good. Finally explanation for shit, and characters who I couldn't give a fuck about before are fully fleshed-out. Ikuhara is saving animu one episode at a time.

This is gonna sound weird, but the CGI in the new OP is gorgeous.

Solune

PdotMichael said:
My opinion about a anime is based on the hentai ratio. Many hentais = bad. A perfect system
Sounds almost as bad as saying weekly manga is automatically worse than manga that are published bi-weekly or in even longer intervals.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
Jexhius said:
Eh, in terms of "lots of people being killed in an anime" it doesn't rate that highly.

To be fair, they confirmed in episode 19 that the death toll of that one event was 35 million. I'm not sure what counts as a lot, but that seems to be a lot. Then again, in Gurren Lagann they destroyed probably about a hundred galaxies. That's probably an order of magnitude, in sheer death tolls, if you consider the possibility of those galaxies holding even the tiniest amount of intelligent life.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
darkside31337 said:
Honestly I would say it's more of a Musical than anything else. Or maybe that's all I remember about it.

Didn't hate the series but it wasn't particularly good either.
They sing, they cry, they beat office workers to death with baseball bats.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Penguins 15: Ah, yep, I knew it. Slapstick is the easiest way to end a tense scene and write yourself out of a bind. Trying to use that as a way to justify a dramatic change in character motivation, on the other hand, is strange thing indeed.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
LordCanti said:
It's getting a bit
dark
for my tastes, but I don't hate where it's going. Some of the shots are still really top tier for me, like
Kanba and Sanetoshi walking down the hallway in the hospital
. I mean, their budget is showing with things like
the OP, which reuses some animation
but it hasn't gone completely south IMO.
All the complaints make me wonder what people on the Interwebz would have said about Utena back in 1997.

Branduil

Penguin Drum 15

It's unfortunate this show has somehow become incredibly low-budget, with mediocre direction. The first part of the episode didn't help either with how badly written and contrived it was. It got better in the extended flashback, because the story there was actually interesting, but man, the lack of animation is just brutal right now.

Extollere

Sucks at poetry
I left Penguindrum around 12. Dunno if I feel like getting back into it or not. Maybe I'll wait for the show to wrap up and see how people feel about it on the whole.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Branduil said:
MPD

Also did anyone else find it funny that
Momoka is literally a palette-swap of Ringo.
Ringo is the palette-swap of Momoka. No wonder she has such a fixation with the original.

Destiny!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Regulus Tera said:
Ringo is the palette-swap of Momoka. No wonder she has such a fixation with the original.

Destiny!
Destiny all up in this bitch.

And you know what, its FABULOUS MAX!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Extollere said:
I left Penguindrum around 12. Dunno if I feel like getting back into it or not. Maybe I'll wait for the show to wrap up and see how people feel about it on the whole.

If you didn't like where the series went around episode 12 I can honestly say it's not worth your time to get back into the series. Caveat being that the show can turn itself around but week by week I am liking this show less and less. This weeks episode in particular.

Hunter x Hunter (2011) 01-02:

A pretty quirky shonen series! Like the first couple of introductory episodes which is a rarity in these long shounen series that typically start off pretty uninteresting. But does the main character really
use a fishing rod as his main weapon? A fishing rod?!?

To the shounen iconoclasts in here, is this series at least on par with the old one thus far? Having not seen the original series I have no perspective here.

The ending to this series is so wat. The song just doesn't fit at all and well there's that scene involving a man's crotch lighting up into golden flashes of light. I have no idea what's going on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom