• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
darkside31337 said:
I mean it's not going to turn me away from the show completely but people pointing and gawking at saying OH MAN EPISODE 25 IS SOME EPIC EPIC STUFF kind of rubs me the wrong way and it's something that will be stuck in the back of my mind while I'm watching the show.

You're right, and I hate that too. It's hard to stay completely unbiased when everyone is throwing "OMG THIS EPISODE IS SO AWESOME" in your face. As one of the front-runners for ep 24-25 hype, I apologize for that. I'm just disappointed there's so little discussion about it.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
cosmicblizzard said:
You're right, and I hate that too. It's hard to stay completely unbiased when everyone is throwing "OMG THIS EPISODE IS SO AWESOME" in your face. As one of the front-runners for ep 24-25 hype, I apologize for that. I'm just disappointed there's so little discussion about it.

Hey it's cool. I wasn't really interested in checking it out before, but now with the hype and the Gintama / Sket Dance crossover I'll be checking it out.

Jex

Geneijin said:
Uta Pri - 13

What a waste of time all this was.
You could have been watching so many..other...things. Actually I don't even know what you have/haven't watched. Weird.

Dynedom

Hanasaku Irohna - Finale

Now that's how you do it. Great finale to a pretty good show. Was the series perfect? No, absolutely not. It was still good. Only people who rooted for the other Hana show (which shall not be named!) will hate on this show irrationally. As far as I'm concerned, it doesn't deserve to belong in the same discussion as Iroha. The ending was very heartwarming, almost tear-inducing. I'd call it bittersweet, despite that description being used to label rather depressing series.

Also, note to anime creators in general:

See what they did? Plot lines wrapped up. Characters mostly developed (including the all-important protagonist) and everything was clear cut. You're not left wanting. You're happy the series ends here. No bullshit open ends that hint at a second season or movie. No ridiculous final arc. No bait and switch. Even if there was a second season (again, it won't happen), I'd watch it. Why? It's not being forced down my throat.

One of my top shows of 2011.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dynedom said:
Also, note to anime creators in general:

See what they did? Plot lines wrapped up. Characters mostly developed (including the all-important protagonist) and everything was clear cut. You're not left wanting. You're happy the series ends here. No bullshit open ends that hint at a second season or movie. No ridiculous final arc. No bait and switch. Even if there was a second season (again, it won't happen), I'd watch it. Why? It's not being forced down my throat.

One of my top shows of 2011.

Maybe I'm watching the "wrong" shows, but isn't this an anime standard? Not including shounens at least.

Dynedom

firehawk12 said:
Maybe I'm watching the "wrong" shows, but isn't this an anime standard? Not including shounens at least.

Well you get what you "paid" for with shounen, especially those based off manga. Obviously my rant doesn't really apply there.

This is more for shows not based off original works or works based off complete manga.

I dunno about whether it applies to all anime. It probably does and I've just been uber selective (or rightfully forgot those other shows). Plenty of shows wrapped up well in "one season" that I enjoyed (Escaflowne, Gungrave, RahXephon, Samurai Champloo, Lovely Complex, Itazura na Kiss, Toradora!).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dynedom said:
Well you get what you "paid" for with shounen, especially those based off manga. Obviously my rant doesn't really apply there.

This is more for shows not based off original works or works based off complete manga.
I'm trying to think of a show that I watched with an narratively unsatisfying ending and the only one I can come up with at the moment is Eden of the East... and, yeah, that was because of the weird movie thing.

Dynedom

firehawk12 said:
I'm trying to think of a show that I watched with an narratively unsatisfying ending and the only one I can come up with at the moment is Eden of the East... and, yeah, that was because of the weird movie thing.

Yep. I enjoyed the series but would have largely preferred it if they had just wrapped it up in those 13 episodes than dole out those 2 movies (
especially considering how open/unsatisfying the end of the second movie was
). Again, a real shame because Eden of the East really stood out to me.

Cwarrior

Dresden said:
Fall Anime Season leads:

n0KpJ.jpg

I hate the whole everyday average generic Japanese boy so veiwer can relate to look ( example the one with the white shirt and the guy next to him and all those others on there.

guilty crown guy is not going to look like the art and the gundam guy looks like his from beyblade which is a big improvement from normal gundam leads.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
I don't think this finale saves the show as a whole, but at least the finale was much more well considered than I expected it to be.
Well no.

Because it didn't need saving!

Dresden

cj_iwakura said:
So serious question: does Despera have a chance? Or is it most likely DOA?
limbo

I think it's still suspended indefinitely or whatever. Doubt we'll be getting any news in the next five decades.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Not necessarily. Evangelion TV? Modern Sunrise shows, Ergo Proxy, Eden of the East, Armor Trooper Votoms, Bersek, Bubblegum Crisis, Twelve Kingdoms, Aoi Hana, Kuragehime, Darker than Black, FMA, Gungrave, Moyashimon....
Tizoc said:
Thanks, mind elaborating on why the series>compilation movies for Turn A?
Well, in general, my main reason to watch a compilation over the series is when the series has a lot of shitty filler that I'd be happy to see cut to focus on the main story beats or whatever it may be. Where compressing a show can make it into something better than it originally was, maybe throw some new animation in there.

For ∀ Gundam there's very little I'd want to skip or remove, it's a pretty great series overall.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
cajunator said:
The only thing that will literally save anime is a show that actually sells. Right now SHAFT is doing that part.
When people talk about saving animu they don't really mean stopping the industry from collapsing, but of bringing quality shows again and the introduction of new elements into the medium.

I guess Madoka does apply for that.

Jex

darkside31337 said:
It would have to be some kind of big event don't you think? Given the nature of the show that's either some epic amazing battle scene or
some tragic unexpected death
, with the latter way more likely.

I could be off base but thats instantly what I think of when I think of what could be so awesome in a show like this.
Oh, you mean within the limitation of a shows genre/style? I suppose so, I thought you meant 'in general', which wouldn't make much sense.

cj_iwakura

It's not just anime, nothing ever has a good ending anymore.

I wonder if Despera was going to keep to the 13 episode ABe tradition. Maybe Texhnolyze wouldn't have floundered so much if they had.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I wonder if anything actually gets close to Uta Pri for Vol 1 sales. Seems like Uta Pri is going to crush all kinds of face. Penguindrum got delayed to save itself from embarrassment.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Dynedom said:
Yep. I enjoyed the series but would have largely preferred it if they had just wrapped it up in those 13 episodes than dole out those 2 movies (
especially considering how open/unsatisfying the end of the second movie was
). Again, a real shame because Eden of the East really stood out to me.
I thought the second movie
wrapped things up nicely thematically
... (is that a spoiler?)

Jexhius said:
Well no.

Because it didn't need saving!
Opinions, assholes, etc.

Jexhius said:
Not necessarily. Evangelion TV? Modern Sunrise shows, Ergo Proxy, Eden of the East, Armor Trooper Votoms, Bersek, Bubblegum Crisis, Twelve Kingdoms, Aoi Hana, Kuragehime, Darker than Black, FMA, Gungrave, Moyashimon....
Of that list, I've only seen Eva and Aoi Hana, and both had perfectly fine endings. If anything Aoi Hana had its own ending in order to give closure for the show.

Oh, right, Kuragehime. I wrote that off so much that I forgot I even watched that one. Yeah, that was a commercial for the manga pretty much.

Blader

Tizoc said:
Thanks, mind elaborating on why the series>compilation movies for Turn A?

Because there's only two movies, rather than three, to cover the whole series. Which means lightning fast editing and a lot of nonsensical plot developments. Had there been three movies to cover the whole series, it would have worked much better.

Tizoc

Blader5489 said:
Because there's only two movies, rather than three, to cover the whole series. Which means lightning fast editing and a lot of nonsensical plot developments. Had there been three movies to cover the whole series, it would have worked much better.
Aha, thanks.
Gonna try and start marathoning Gundam within the next few weeks.
Gundam Musou 3 peaked my interest for it.

faridmon said:
You are useful for watching those horrible Animes so please, don't depress yourself. You are helping others like me to avoid it.

So, should I watch it?
Do you like harem comedy animes?

If so, perhaps. At this point though it might make more sense to wait for the blu-rays, though, given there is censorship to be removed.

Steroyd said:
R 15 - END

Don't know why I started watching it.
Don't know why I kept watching it.
Watched more episodes than there were left, so may as well finish it.
As I said in my review, I thought ep. 15 was the best episode of the series by a good margin... do you agree?

Articalys

C1
1st 333 Madoka Kaname @ Puella Magi Madoka Magica
2nd 119 Mio Isurugi @ MM!
2nd 56 Ingrid Sorveig Sorgrims @ Astarotte's Toy!

D1
1st 218 Nero Yuzurizaki @ Detective Opera Milky Holmes
2nd 205 Maekawa @ Denpa Onna To Seishun Otoko
3rd 71 Ritos Tortilla @ Shukufuku No Campanella

Hanasaku Iroha 26(END)

Gah, good ending!
Kissuiso is shut down temporarily while everyone pursues their dream. Ohana and Ko become a couple, beanman retires and lives with his son, Sui works as a local waitress, etc. We get a future vision of the successful revival during Grandma Ohana's final walkthrough of the now empty inn.

I wouldn't say it was a sad ending despite all that, it felt... good, I guess.

Overall Impressions

In the top 5 best anime this year, despite a few hiccups. I never stopped enjoying the series, and will miss Ohana Sundays. I'm aware some people didn't like the middle episodes, but think the show would be weak without their inclusion. I will recommend this in the future.

Steroyd

A Black Falcon said:
As I said in my review, I thought ep. 15 was the best episode of the series by a good margin... do you agree?

I was indifferent to the whole thing.

MotionBlue said:
Hanasaku Iroha 26(END)

Gah, good ending!
Kissuiso is shut down temporarily while everyone pursues their dream. Ohana and Ko become a couple, beanman retires and lives with his son, Sui works as a local waitress, etc. We get a future vision of the successful revival during Grandma Ohana's final walkthrough of the now empty inn.

Hi my name is preview post, and I ensure I don't mess up making posts like this.

Tizoc said:
Aha, thanks.
Gonna try and start marathoning Gundam within the next few weeks.
Gundam Musou 3 peaked my interest for it.

The game made me want to see the Turn A (The Turn A Gundam is loved by all, and when used correctly can help them all too).

The history missions for Amuro, Heero, and Banagher made me want to check those series out (only saw half of Gundam 00, first Gundam I saw).

Gintama 50

For saying they don't want to put a lot of effort into this, they sure put a lot of effort into this. In fact, is it just me or is the animation slightly better this season?

The new ED is intriguing.
New villains, I take it?

scy

Dresden said:
sup guys

Horizon in 5 days and 22 hours

http://i.imgur.com/c3gXY.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

Wait, is he actually the male lead? I thought he was like the bad guy or random smugtroll.

Dresden

scy said:
Wait, is he actually the male lead? I thought he was like the bad guy or random smugtroll.
Yeah, he's the main character.

I think the big boob (the one in the middle) is his sister.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom