• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Hanasaku Iroha 26 (END)
I was actually pleased with this. Nothing crazy happened, everything was resolved, and nothing was really cliched.

Now that it's all over, I actually realize that I really enjoyed this show to an extent I didn't think I did. In a way, i'm satisfied with it the same way I was with Honey and Clover's ending, and honestly, the way things turned out were just perfect for me, and probably really well for a lot of people i'd imagine.

(A desparate) Part of me hopes they'll milk for a sequel (because I really liked the cast and their diversity), but honestly (and realistically), it doesn't really need one given
the showing of everyone going to fest it up in their new workplaces, and trying to make it themselves in the world. I was just really happy. The Ohana confessing to Ko scene was just too cute, and the heart-shaped yakisoba made me laugh and go "awwwww".

While the middle got bumpy for some, I think overall this is one of the more entirely solid shows of the year so far, and it'll definitely be one I recommend to my friends who ask for suggestions in the future.

Also I think I cried at some parts, which is weird for me, but I felt emotional for some reason. Like when
the Kissuiso closed, I felt like a part of me was closing and leaving everyone behind too, and I was saddened by this.

Lain said:
So, with HanaIro done, can we fairly say that Team HanaIro obliterated team AnoHana?
Dude, it's no contest now that both are finished. AnoHana feels like a joke compared to HanaIro.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Gintama 50

For saying they don't want to put a lot of effort into this, they sure put a lot of effort into this. In fact, is it just me or is the animation slightly better this season?

The new ED is intriguing.
New villains, I take it?

Yeah, that ED helped me get hyped for the first MAJOR serious arc.

Articalys

Hanasaku Iroha 26

That was a nice finale.
Really liked the atmosphere during the opening festival scenes, with the scenery and music.

Nothing much else to say that hasn't already been said, at least regarding
how the series did a nice job of wrapping things up and giving the story a conclusion while still showing where the characters' lives would go from here.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Jexhius said:
You shut your mouth.

Well, the TV series do have problems...

Uh that's what I meant. I generally really like Gundam OVAs and most of the compilation movies are solid. It's most of the series themselves that just aren't all that good.

Instro

Iroha 26
Pretty much the perfect ending for this show, really brought it all home. Tied everything up nicely, and the scenes of
the inn closing and everyone moving on were heartfelt. I would watch a 2nd season showing everyone getting back together and re-opening the inn, but it's certainly not needed since the show ended so well.

Easily a top 5 show for the year for me. Best P.A. Works show too.

Thoraxes

Here's where things go downhill for my reputation: Is Chiaki Omigawa doing anything in the fall season? I've looked everywhere and I can't find anything and am starting to get desperate.

Steroyd

Spice & Wolf II 11 - END

Great now I'm part of the season III brigade, I was afraid of finishing this well done series for that very reason.

duckroll

Thoraxes said:
Here's where things go downhill for my reputation: Is Chiaki Omigawa doing anything in the fall season? I've looked everywhere and I can't find anything and am starting to get desperate.

No. But you can watch Towa no Quon, where she has amazing lines like "woof woof" and "rawrrr" and "woof".

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
faridmon said:
From what I have watched: AnoHana >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Iroha. I don't see the reason for this trolling.

It's not trolling. I really liked both shows a lot. Not sure which I'd actually put above the other though.

Articalys

Steroyd said:
Spice & Wolf II 11 - END

Great now I'm part of the season III brigade, I was afraid of finishing this well done series for that very reason.
To heck with season 3, I just hope they eventually finish translating all the light novels. After this year they'll only be done with five out of seventeen, and at the rate of two per year...

Lain

duckroll said:
No. But you can watch Towa no Quon, where she has amazing lines like "woof woof" and "rawrrr" and "woof".
That's what I hear whenever a character she voices starts talking. Barks, barks and more barks.

NewFresh

Nichijou Ep.26 (Sixty-two story of the day)

25521.jpg

Perfect episode to end the series. It had all the elements that previously made the show great, all in on episode.
The whole Nano birthday plot was pretty heartwarming.

It's the show that I'm going to miss the most this season.

faridmon

darkside31337 said:
It's not trolling. I really liked both shows a lot. Not sure which I'd actually put above the other though.
I would really put Anohana above, just because how Iroha failed to live up to the expectation of that great first episode. If your series is going to be mediocre, please, don't set your bar high by creating a good pilot.

Granted I haven't finished it, I just dropped it after how cliched it became. I might pick it up again and finish it, but Anohana managed to hold my intrest til' the end, even with its stupid melodrama. Alos, I liked Anohanas art much better than Iroha, oh and its soundtrack as well.

Steroyd

faridmon said:
From what I have watched: AnoHana >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Iroha. I don't see the reason for this trolling.

I'm bigger than this, I won't mention the character arcs amounting to nothing, the ghost rules being all over the place, which are used when apprpriate to the plot, and a poor attempt at getting the viewer engaged and sympathetic to the casts mental problems using only one single flashback.

I will however say that all but the last episode felt like a waste of time.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
AtNna.gif

Honestly didn't know there were that many Nichibros in here. Really will be the show I miss the most from everything that ended recently.

Go_Ly_Dow

Hanasaku Iroha Finale

I loved the atmosphere during the festival and when Okami was walking the halls of the Inn. Another great point was how the Ohana and Ko's moment wasn't drawn out and also wasn't the central point of the episode.

Overall I would say it was a solid slice of life. Something that I would recommend if someone were to ask for recommendations in the genre. (well late 2000's anyway)

A sequel is not needed, but I loved the cast so I would welcome one with open arms.

DVD extra episodes/OVA's would also be welcomed. I would like to see what path some of the characters take.

faridmon

Steroyd said:
I'm bigger than this, I won't mention the character arcs amounting to nothing, the ghost rules being all over the place, which are used when apprpriate to the plot, and a poor attempt at getting the viewer engaged and sympathetic to the casts mental problems using only one single flashback.

I will however say that all but the last episode felt like a waste of time.
At least it decided to come up with a great idea about past, connection and social interaction. But no, we really care about a young girl, who is an orphan (or close to that), decide to move to a mansion where there is some sort of business , and try to save everyone from thier everyday problem in the most cliched manner.

Oh, and she cries because she care, she becomes angry when other people get hurt by others, and work so hard when she is so ill. She is the perfect girl. A boy falls for her and come all the way to meet her, but no, she is too good for him, either that, or the luck makes it that they don't make up. Great!

Did I say how cliched it is?

NewFresh

faridmon said:
I would really put Anohana above, just because how Iroha failed to live up to the expectation of that great first episode. If your series is going to be mediocre, please, don't set your bar high by creating a good pilot.

Granted I haven't finished it, I just dropped it after how cliched it became. I might pick it up again and finish it, but Anohana managed to hold my intrest til' the end, even with its stupid melodrama. Alos, I liked Anohanas art much better than Iroha, oh and its soundtrack as well.

Everything you said, I feel applies more to Ano than Iroha.
The show (AnoHana) has an decent first episode, but then proceeds to drag out its obvious conclusion. The fact that the ending is obvious is not so much the problem, but more so that the show presented nothing during its 2nd act to maintain any sense of excitement, entertainment, or dread about the finale. There is little character development and the eventual ending suffers for it.

I don't think you are trolling but many here will disagree with AnoHana being better than Iroha. You can like it all you want, I just think that Iroha is better in many aspects.

darkside31337 said:
People will be saying the same thing about HanaIro 3 months from now :(

And Penguindrum will be the same. Well, everywhere outside of AnimeGAF and Club Penguin members at least. Except it will only take 1 month.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Clairvoyance said:
And Penguindrum will be the same. Well, everywhere outside of AnimeGAF and Club Penguin members at least. Except it will only take 1 month.
And that's why anime fans have shitty taste.

faridmon

EmmanuelMunoz said:
I don't think you are trolling
Thank you, I didn't know my self.
I was just stating what I thought, I also had a great disussion threads back about this. I don't where this trolling business comes from.

I just don't get how inconsistant some of you are (the ones who bother to discuss this matter), Aren't many Anime out there just like Anohana where not much devoloping happnes and decide to pomder the same thing over and over again?

The first episode I felt did introduce what the series was alla bout and stayed the in that course. Iroha had a great Episode in a snse that its wackiness came out of no where and the main chaarcter had a sensinble personel in her, they just threw that out of teh window and went with a moaning girl with the ''cute'' naive personality.
Instro said:
Ano Hana is low end Key anime with better art.
*sigh*

Thoraxes

I felt like Ano Hana was just the same episode 9 times over, with the first and last episode being different from the rest of it.

1 flashback day should not be the focus of the entire series. I would've liked it more if they used more of their childhood relationships to delve into things and flesh it out more.

Uchip

Banned
Thoraxes said:
I felt like Ano Hana was just the same episode 9 times over, with the first and last episode being different from the rest of it.

1 flashback day should not be the focus of the entire series.

it should have just been a movie really

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Instro said:
Ano Hana is low end Key anime with better art.

I would stress that superior art probably makes Anohana better than all key VNs and anime.

faridmon

Thoraxes said:

1 flashback day should not be the focus of the entire series. I would've liked it more if they used more of their childhood relationships to delve into things and flesh it out more.
Yeah, That was stupid. And I agree with you that it should have a general continuation. But I felt they needed to focus on that day and its effect it brought down on the group.

Maybe, they way I interpret the Anime differs from all of yours. I respect that. I am just in the defnding force of that series. :p
Nonoriri said:
I would stress that superior art probably makes Anohana better than all key VNs and anime.
I like how you are thinking there.

Thoraxes

Uchip said:
it should have just been a movie really
I completely agree.

faridmon said:
Yeah, That was stupid. And I agree with you that it should have a general continuation. But I felt they needed to focus on that day and its effect it brought down on the group.

Maybe, they way I interpret the Anime differs from all of yours. I respect that. I am just in the defnding force of that series. :p
:D

Steroyd

faridmon said:
At least it decided to come up with a great idea about past, connection and social interaction. But no, we really care about a young girl, who is an orphan (or close to that), decide to move to a mansion where there is some sort of business , and try to save everyone from thier everyday problem in the most cliched manner.

A great idea means nothing if executed poorly, other than the Nokemon episode the premise was poorly constructed, potential character developments dropped at the snap of the finger... holy crap where'd that monocle come from!? Get it off GET IT OFF!!

Oh, and she cries because she care, she becomes angry when other people get hurt by others, and work so hard when she is so ill. She is the perfect girl. A boy falls for her and come all the way to meet her, but no, she is too good for him, either that, or the luck makes it that they don't make up. Great!

Did I say how cliched it is?

I'm soooo making that Dr Cox wrong gif tomorrow, but for now. You're wrong, you're wrong.gif.

Granted she genki'd her way out of every situation in the first half (to a lesser effect in the 2nd), but she was portrayed far from perfect, and she realized the exact oppisite in regards to Ko in the Tokyo arc.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
hosannainexcelsis said:
Personally, I prefer a satisfying story with mediocre art to an unsatisfying story with good art.

See the problem here is that Key art is not mediocre, it is hideous and awful. This might work for other anime, but not Key anime.

jman2050

The main thing about Ano Hana is that the story they tried to tell relies entirely on making the audience care about their characters. The show did damn near nothing to that end until the very last episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom