• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thoraxes

Miri said:
Aside from Shaft just being awesome at OPs, you include Round Table. Show the man no mercy, will you?
Man, I really love Round Table. When I first heard them via the Welcome to the NHK! OP, I just loved it.

I seriously listened to the song on loop for hours, many days, for many weeks, for many months.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Ranma 101-09:
I'm also taken aback by the sheer amount of tits in the show. Was Ranma originally broadcast as a trashy late night show like MajiKoi or something?
Anime used to just have that, rather than really oblique camera angles up girls skirts.

Well, I guess it's always had both. The point is, fanservice-type content has clearly changed over time.

iavi

Defuser said:
I'm more use to Round Table with Nino than with Maaya.

Same here. 'Down Town' is great, and Maaya did a great job on it, but it's no 'Puzzle.' That track just comes together so well.

E: Beaten!

Thoraxes said:
Man, I really love Round Table. When I first heard them via the Welcome to the NHK! OP, I just loved it.

I seriously listened to the song on loop for hours, many days, for many weeks, for many months.

Same here(Again, lol). Both versions were my go to song/s for a good while.

Regulus Tera said:
Everything else since then have just been rehashes of "so here's every character in the show being cool or doing mysterious things".

Incorrect.

Dance In My Blood said:
I dunno. P4's doesn't seem particularly lazy or anything to me. About what I'd expect from the show. I don't mind some simplicity though, so maybe that's why I like MPD and P4's openers even from a visual standpoint.

"Particularly lazy" is about what I'd expect from the Persona 4 anime. The multitude of cuts try to give it some interest, but make it feel lethargic and incoherent instead.

Incoherence is my problem with both of MPD's OPs as well visually - they're stylish, but they don't have a good sense of flow. And the second reuses so much animation.

Jex

airmangataosenai said:
I also started up Chobits this week, just finished episode 10. I dunno how I feel about it, on one hand like Mirai Nikki the mysery around Chii and her relationship with Hideki is definitely interesting, but on the other hand I'm also all too aware that this show is just made to fulfill some weird otaku fantasy of having a girl that's 100% dependent on you which is pretty damn creepy.
Let the power of CLAMP guide you wisely through this dark and lonely forest.

Dresden

I think my problem with P4's op is that the game's opening is so much better. Should've just reused that. Also use in-game footage for battles.

duckroll

You know, this discussion about OPs which comes up every few weeks needs some additional layering to make it more interesting. Instead of just comparing OPs, we should actually look at the different types of OPs which are traditionally used, and then highlight which shows in the season apply which types of techniques, and which are more or less successful at using those methods.

For example, the Kuragehime OP which was mentioned is indeed a very good OP, but it is a sort of "story" OP. Whereby the OP itself is a self-contained sequence of scenes which serve to introduce the tone of the series, the characters, while also entertaining by being a mini-event in itself (movie parodies in a dream in this case). Such OPs are generally rare, and only utilized by more ambitious directors or those who want to flex their film making skills to the limit in 90 seconds.

OPs like Fate/Zero and Idolmaster are more traditional "animation" OPs, where the content of the opening sequence is made up of various high quality scenes of various characters and action based sequences which aim to show off the characters doing what they do best, and getting the viewer excited for what the show has to offer. Most often this sort of OP is used for shounen fighting shows and more mainstream mecha anime.

Then there are basically purely visual OPs, which is where most of Shaft's OPs fall under. These are directed like arty music video sequences, which aims mostly to fit visual effects and transitions with the best and tune of the song. Introducing characters and actually representing the show itself is secondary. Several BONES and Gainax OPs also fall under this category (Evangelion TV, RahXephon, Star Driver, Un-Go). Cowboy Bebop and Samurai Champloo also quality.

sonicmj1

idolm@ster has a great OP in terms of presenting the whole package, but I think I'm still so subconsciously bitter about "Are you ready? I'm lady!" that I don't want to watch it.

Guilty Crown has some really awesome moments in its OP (what an eye-catching start!), but there's just as much very generic character posing stuff that isn't interesting to watch.

P4 and Mawaru are examples of great song OPs that don't have very interesting visuals, even if they're fitting for the show.

For Coolish, I'd crawl through the desert to see Poplar go "mon mon mon mon".

Someone Else is better than it, though.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
darkside31337 said:
<3

Kuragehime's OP is one of my favorites.

It bucked the trend of all anime ops being the same thing.
Stuff like this makes it hard to justify this hobby.

duckroll said:
OPs like Fate/Zero and Idolmaster are more traditional "animation" OPs, where the content of the opening sequence is made up of various high quality scenes of various characters and action based sequences which aim to show off the characters doing what they do best, and getting the viewer excited for what the show has to offer. Most often this sort of OP is used for shounen fighting shows and more mainstream mecha anime.

Then there are basically purely visual OPs, which is where most of Shaft's OPs fall under. These are directed like arty music video sequences, which aims mostly to fit visual effects and transitions with the best and tune of the song.
These two points make me appreciate the Madoka OP for how delightfully it steers the audience into believing the show is about a certain something when it isn't.

iavi

Watanabe seems to prefer style over substance, in terms of the OPs, and I dig that. Star Driver OP1 was the same way, and that was praised from left to right. Though, tbh, I don't exactly know why in that particular case.

duckroll

Miri said:
Watanabe seems to prefer style over substance, in terms of the OPs, and I dig that. Star Driver OP1 was the same way, and that was praised from left to right. Though, tbh, I don't exactly know why in that particular case.

I don't see it as "style over substance" really. If you think of what an OP is, it is a 90 second window to present the main credits for the show, while showing off something that is supposed to keep the viewer entertained while the credits are rolling. Anything that attracts the viewer's attention in this case *is* substance. There should not be a requirement for the method of engagement, since it's just an opening sequence. By having no such requirements, it means that directors are free to be as creative as they can be in terms of how they use those 90 seconds.

Regulus Tera said:
I forgot about this OP because it is a forgettable OP. Cute, but ultimately uninspiring.

I agree with you, I just wanted to fight the good fight against generalizations.

I really like Usagi Drop's ED though. The visual style is great, the next episode preview is well integrated, and there's a quick thematic recap of each episode.

Dresden

Miri said:
I think he did the 3rd ed for E7. I've always liked it - not really concerned with talking about the sweep of the narrative or whatever, it's just a bunch of cute girls doing seemingly normal things. I still like the first ED the most, though.

zeroshiki

hosannainexcelsis said:
I agree with you, I just wanted to fight the good fight against generalizations.

I really like Usagi Drop's ED though. The visual style is great, the next episode preview is well integrated, and there's a quick thematic recap of each episode.

The OP is also very updbeat and bouncy. Listening to it even now puts a smile on my face.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
hosannainexcelsis said:

...I skipped straight into the after-credits skit after every episode ended. Fuck.

Dresden said:
I think my problem with P4's op is that the game's opening is so much better. Should've just reused that. Also use in-game footage for battles.

I like it because it's a new song from Meguro. Someone should set it to the game OP.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
duckroll said:
I'd agree that Idolmaster's OP fits into this catagory, but there's actually a weird sense of progression between the new and old OP that does kind of tell a story. With "I'm Ready" there's a lot of backstage imagery that relates to preparation, putting an emphasis on the idols still being up and coming. In the "Change" OP a good deal of the imagery focuses on the attained popularity and success of the idols, and even the visuals of the characters kind of magically shifting into their idol clothes speaks to the transformative effect being an idol has had on the lives of the characters. So even with actiony OPs that kind of jump around and try to look cool I think there's the potential for some kind of story to be told.

Or maybe I'm just giving Idolm@ster way too much credit.

duckroll

Dance In My Blood said:
I'd agree that Idolmaster's OP fits into this catagory, but there's actually a weird sense of progression between the new and old OP that does kind of tell a story. With "I'm Ready" there's a lot of backstage imagery that relates to preparation, putting an emphasis on the idols still being up and coming. In the "Change" OP a good deal of the imagery focuses on the attained popularity and success of the idols, and even the visuals of the characters kind of magically shifting into their idol clothes speaks to the transformative effect being an idol has had on the lives of the characters. So even with actiony OPs that kind of jump around and try to look cool I think there's the potential for some kind of story to be told.

Or maybe I'm just giving Idolm@ster way too much credit.

I agree. I was actually considering putting it in the story category actually, but thought more about it and I felt that while the story development for the OPs were there, the "main" sequences in the OP mostly relied on relatively unrelated show-stopper animation sequences of them either dancing or transforming. If anything, I would say that the first OP is much more suited as a story OP, while the second OP is more of a traditional action OP.

There are no specific rules beyond our interpretation anyway, since these are all simply direction techniques, and mixing and matching elements of each technique is often how good OPs come about anyway.

Thoraxes

You know, besides a bunch of cup Ramen, I think most of SHAFT's budget for a show before it goes to post-air mediums is definitely their OPs.

iavi

duckroll said:
I don't see it as "style over substance" really. If you think of what an OP is, it is a 90 second window to present the main credits for the show, while showing off something that is supposed to keep the viewer entertained while the credits are rolling. Anything that attracts the viewer's attention in this case *is* substance. There should not be a requirement for the method of engagement, since it's just an opening sequence. By having no such requirements, it means that directors are free to be as creative as they can be in terms of how they use those 90 seconds.

I have to agree there.

Dresden said:
I think he did the 3rd ed for E7. I've always liked it - not really concerned with talking about the sweep of the narrative or whatever, it's just a bunch of cute girls doing seemingly normal things. I still like the first ED the most, though.

To this day, one of my fav eds. Tomoki Kyoda is credited as the director on that one, though Watanabe is listed on ANN as having worked on the storyboards, with wikipedia listing him as 'supervising over/producer'. He does come through in it though, quite a bit.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Jexhius said:
I have no problem with OP's that hint at future elements, as long as it's not terribly obvious spoiler:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF5QlDfsXws&feature=related
KJeaH.png

Jexhius said:
On the topic of good OP's, how about terrible OP's? You know, where the composition is terrible, the editing is painful and the all round direction is bad?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfpTOw44o8I
I already posted it before, but Maburaho.

Generically generic.
PdotMichael said:
HizRQl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom