• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Yeah, it's awesome when they spend so much time & talent on glorified credit sequences, isn't it?
Yes, yes it is. Especially when they're as good as the Dirty Pair Eden OP. Plenty of the good ones are worth more than a fairly average show! They're certainly better constructed and more memorable.

Jex

A Black Falcon said:
What, do you think anime has more pantyshots now? But I thought anime has always had those too...
Agent Aika was clearly the turning point. I'm certainly no expert, but the excessiveness of titles like HSOTD seem to be a modern phenomenon. I could well be wrong, of course.

Steroyd

Tamayura - 06

It's bugged me for a few eps now, but it's official.

I want to murder whistling moe so she would stop whistling.

iavi

Infinite Justice said:
So now sides are being drawn for OP/EDs? wat

State your allegiance, 'Coolish Walk,' or 'Wan Wan.' Choosing Coolish Walk nets you your heart's grandest desires, while wan wan gets you nothing but moe.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Miri said:
State your allegiance, 'Coolish Walk,' or 'Wan Wan.' Choosing Coolish Walk nets you your heart's grandest desires, while wan wan gets you nothing but moe.
Spoken like a true Dog of the "Coolish Walk". Clearly you don't understand the depths of the "Wan Wan" style and how it speaks to the heart and soul and prepares the viewer for a deep, touching, and good show.

Dynedom

On the OP discussion, I have to say that FMA: Brotherhood had a collection of really good OPs. I may not have always been a fan of the music but they were well produced.

ZetaEpyon

All this talk of OPs, and nobody has mentioned Love Tropicana?
I am saddened.

Also, I think I'm more on the side of Coolish Walk right now. Might just be that it's current, who knows.

Jexhius said:
We're on the internet man, sides will be drawn over which kind of bleach to use.

And speaking of Bleach, Asterisk is still the best. :p

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Bored of my last avatar, penguinfied my old kirby avatar.

Full size if anyone wants:
EMa1y.png

Pixiv link to original: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=346046

iavi

doomed1 said:
Spoken like a true Dog of the "Coolish Walk". Clearly you don't understand the depths of the "Wan Wan" style and how it speaks to the heart and soul and prepares the viewer for a deep, touching, and good show.

Lol, I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of my wishes being fulfilled.

cajunator

Banned
doomed1 said:
For me, Wan wan is simply more likeable because it is Ska and I loooooove SKA.
Sometimes reasons are just simple.

Ezalc said:
No Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, or Baccano!. Really?

Shounen OPs only! But yes, I like the latter 2.

ZetaEpyon said:
And speaking of Bleach, Asterisk is still the best. :p

I still say Change is the best, but Asterisk is the most stylized and probably something even people who hated the show would really like.

wsippel

Banned
Trolls in the Middle of Nowhere 6

Tori is such a troll. Another wordy episode, but shit finally starts to make some sense and stuff's happening, so that's nice. The action scenes are pretty good and imaginative, but few and far between so far.

Mirai Nikki 1 - 5

God damn, what is it with male leads in action shows these days!? Shu (Guilty Crown) is terrible, Ganta (Deadman Wonderland) was a whiny bitch, but this dimwit takes the cake. Any random harem MC has bigger balls. If it wasn't for the two psycho girls, I would have dropped this show within minutes.

iavi

cosmicblizzard said:
I still say Change is the best, but Asterisk is the most stylized and probably something even people who hated the show would really like.

If only Bleach had kept the image it gave off in its early days/ that op. It'd probably be my fav of the 'big 3.'

jman2050

wsippel said:
Mirai Nikki 1 - 5

God damn, what is it with male leads in action shows these days!? Shu (Guilty Crown) is terrible, Ganta (Deadman Wonderland) was a whiny bitch, but this dimwit takes the cake. Any random harem MC has bigger balls. If it wasn't for the two psycho girls, I would have dropped this show within minutes.

You lack faith young one.

hsukardi

Chihayafuru is really good, the direction is great and the source material was good right from the get go. I think it loses steam later on in the manga and it becomes repetitive.

Guilty Crown has fantastic production values but damn the characters, dialogue and plot is retarded. Such a waste. Almost reminds me of how Xam'd was.

Any recommendations for great anime in the past 3 years? Kinda been out of it.

Steroyd

firehawk12 said:
*whistles*

*uses throat crushing ninja move*

jman2050 said:
You lack faith young one.

He has a point, if it weren't for Yuno and her love there'd be no reason to watch it.

Come to think of it, where did the pussy ass whiny bitch male lead trope come from anyway?

Branduil

hsukardi said:
Chihayafuru is really good, the direction is great and the source material was good right from the get go. I think it loses steam later on in the manga and it becomes repetitive.

Guilty Crown has fantastic production values but damn the characters, dialogue and plot is retarded. Such a waste. Almost reminds me of how Xam'd was.

I have the perfect post for you:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=30546511&postcount=347

jman2050

Steroyd said:
Come to think of it, where did the pussy ass whiny bitch male lead trope come from anyway?

I'm guessing it's a case where you have an interesting novel character type and the imitators all completely missed the point in copying it and over time degenerated it to its most basic and unappealing form. It happens all the time.

As for what that origin is, I don't know enough about older anime to say.

hsukardi

Aigis said:
Trapeze/Kuuchuu Buranko
K-ON! & !!
iDOLM@STER
Tetsuwan Birdy:Decode S1 & S2
Casshern Sins

Thanks. I finished K-ON!! over a weekend and that was superb. Need to look into the rest.

Branduil, thanks

hsukardi said:

Wandering Son

Risette

A Good Citizen
hsukardi said:
Thanks. I finished K-ON!! over a weekend and that was superb. Need to look into the rest.

Branduil, thanks
What animes have you seen

I can reccomend stuff from farther back

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Jexhius said:
There's no need to link people to such a poor quality version, thankfully!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7kfOPGz2kw
Haha, well, that's the most bearable poison yet: creditless with slight stretching. Sure beats low resolution, low framerate, low encode quality, cropped widescreen, fully stretched widescreen, obnoxious overlay, troll audio switching, foreign language dub song, uneven audio quality, or just bad audio quality!

Jex

Hitokage said:
Haha, well, that's the most bearable poison yet: creditless with slight stretching. Sure beats low resolution, low framerate, low encode quality, cropped widescreen, fully stretched widescreen, obnoxious overlay, uneven audio quality, or just bad audio quality!
I think you've missed an important version:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCC1r99he84
hsukardi said:

Branduil, thanks
Be careful what you wish for, myself and others in this thread could probably give you about forty different titles to watch.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
icarus-daedelus said:
That's just naive consumers falling prey to advertising and all of the disappointment that comes with it. ;p
No it's not. I have an artbook filled with the works of pulp scifi novel art. I love that art, and yet I would never touch most of the empty pulp trash that's behind that art. Similarly, I really enjoy Death Note OP 2, but I would never bother watching it. There have been times it's come on Adult Swim and I just watch the opening sequence and change the channel. Sure, there's some level of disappointment that happens when the show with the cool OP isn't nearly as cool as the OP, but hey, the OP was enjoyable even if the show isn't, and there's an art to that separate from the show itself, wouldn't you agree?

Jexhius said:
Agent Aika was clearly the turning point. I'm certainly no expert, but the excessiveness of titles like HSOTD seem to be a modern phenomenon. I could well be wrong, of course.
I don't know if Aika is a turning point, it's not exactly average even compared to most modern shows, in terms of volume of pantyshots... but you watch more older anime than most anyone here, yes, so if anyone here would know if they used to be as common as they are now, I'd think it'd be you.

...Aika was alright though, sure the fanservice is ridiculously overdone but the story's actually decent, and I do like how it's got a strong female lead who isn't subordinate to some generic male protagonist.

hsukardi said:

What kind of stuff do you like? This year in particular has been pretty good and covers a lot of bases.

Jex

Chihayafuru 6

This episode has answered, or gone some way to answering a lot of questions.

Will the show remain at this kind of high quality in terms of production and direction?
It's hard to say, but they've done well so far.

Will the 'grown up' content get very seamy if it's all focused around one particular issue?
Hopefully they'll work in ways to mix things up a bit, as they have done here.

Will the show only focus on the central trio?
Probably, yes, but with room for good side characters like we have here. I'm glad that she's just not some thin character trope. I am kind of concerned how none of the other characters in school are even, well, characters. But yeah.
Traditional Japanese clothing otaku are dangerous indeed.

This episode was really enjoyable and pleasant with great pacing. Thankfully the story is doing something to avoid becoming too set in it's ways and boring. How far it goes with that will remain to be seen. All the signs are good though. I mean, it warms the heart!

chiha6hug.jpg

However, saying that, with a central conceit like karuta there's only so far that you can go. In this day and age it's unlikely that the anime will run long-enough to wear it out though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom