• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

Jexhius said:
Penguin 18

Well, I guess most of this is going to be tagged.

This episode did a good job in not only focusing on a very tense situation but also giving us some more back-story for Tabuki and Momoka. I suppose some directors would be tempted to slice that backstory in in small chunks, LOST style, throughout the course of the episode but clearly that wouldn't have worked so well.

Like others, the actual finale didn't seem to make any visual sense, but I don't really care. Seriously though, it doesn't have to make no sense, they could easily have had him in the right place. It's just WEIRD.

[IM]http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/penguin18tabuki.jpg[/IMG]
It's really weird because if 7th is right, the novel did it properly. So why can't they do it right in the actual visual medium? It's like someone got confused somewhere and it led to a chain of confusion where the whole scene made no spatial and physical sense.

What is a good anime to watch?

I'll list the ones I have seen:

DB
DBZ
DB:GT
Sailor Moon
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Samurai Champloo
Neo Genesis Evangelion + Movies
Akira
All Appleseed movies
A couple of episodes of FullMetal Alchemist (worth finishing?)
Eden of the East (both)
Some Ghost in the shell (so many different ones and do not know where to start)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Inuyasha.

Soo anyone wanna help a brutha out?

Jex

zeroshiki said:
This presupposes people pay attention to your tag when there's moe Kircheis directly below it.
Hey man, it's all related.
iSurvivedTheOutage said:

[....]
I'm going to go the safe route and say Moribitio: Guardian of the Sacred Spirit or all of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (including 2nd Gig).

iSurvivedTheOutage said:

DB
DBZ
Sailor Moon
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Samurai Champloo
Akira
All Appleseed movies
Eden of the East (both)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Inuyasha.

I'm also gonna go the safe route and say watch everything with an anime in this thread I made. But if that's too overwhelming, start with Toriko, Hunter x Hunter, Law of Ueki, and/or S-Cry-ed.

Don't exactly have a big pool to work with, so I'll leave other people to recommend stuff on the non-battle side of things.

And yes, Fullmetal is definitely worth finishing, but you'll get a lot of mixed responses on whether you should watch the original or Brotherhood (the difference being the latter follows the manga more closely).

Fake Edit: Oh, and Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is a MUST.

Instro

iSurvivedTheOutage said:

DB
DBZ
Sailor Moon
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Samurai Champloo
Akira
All Appleseed movies
Eden of the East (both)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Inuyasha.

Yes, watch FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood instead though. Superior remake. As for Ghost in the Shell, watch the first film, and then proceed to Stand Alone Complex.

Mirai Nikki 1

Better grab the popcorn; this is going to be a fun ride. The production values aren't amazing, but some moments are quite effective, such as
Yuko bursting into the elevator. Laughed so hard.

iSurvivedTheOutage said:

That's a broad question. Start by finishing Fullmetal Alchemist (both TV series are worth watching in their own way) and the two seasons of Ghost in the Shell S.A.C. and then report back. Alternatively, check these two threads for solid lists of worthwhile anime old and new.

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
I'll just say, all you team Taichi people are insane. Arata > Sensei > Kimono girl > Chihaya's Sister > Taichi.

Arata is a boring hick. I want to stab my ears with a spork every time I hear him speak.

Defuser

wonzo said:
To be fair it's kinda perplexing as to why anyone would rally around, let alone admire such an unsympathetic piece of shit like Gai.
Douches always get admired because they always attract the chicks.

cajunator

Banned
iSurvivedTheOutage said:

DB
DBZ
Sailor Moon
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Samurai Champloo
Akira
All Appleseed movies
Eden of the East (both)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Inuyasha.

You could try something awesome like Desert Punk. Or School Days. cant go wrong really.

Also, Penguin Drum show of the forever 18

That was intense. that was spectacular.
THAT WAS FABULOUS. not max though.
Maybe next episode.
Oh yeah and HNNNNNGH RINGO.

Articalys

Interesting... apparently Gintama' 232 was too spicy for AT-X and won't be aired there on request of TV Tokyo, even though it aired just fine for the latter on Oct. 31.

Gintama' #232 to Not Run on AT-X at TV Tokyo's Request
The anime television channel AT-X announced on Friday that its showings of Gintama' episode 232, "The people you tend to forget tend to show up after you forget them," have been cancelled at the request of the program's original broadcaster, TV Tokyo. The episode had already aired on TV Tokyo on October 31, and would have run on AT-X on November 15 and 18. According to AT-X, episodes 233 and later will resume on the channel on November 22.

Among other items, the episode had parodies of the public service announcements from the Advertising Council Japan and a politician named "Renhō" (a possible reference to an Upper House legislator and the current Minister for Government Revitalisation whose full name is Renhō Murata).
More details from a MAL news story:
Director Takamatsu Shinji tweeted that the episode was repeatedly rejected by TV Tokyo due to the inappropriate contents of the episode and the program data of the episode was submitted to the TV channel on the airing day. Takamatsu said "If Gintama anime cannot remain to be 'Gintama', we should rather stop airing it on TV than air something not 'Gintama'. I believe such a day won't come."

I don't watch the show, so I can't judge anything about it; was it any different from usual? Seems strange...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Articalys said:
I don't watch the show, so I can't judge anything about it; was it any different from usual? Seems strange...
There was a new "dirty" woman on the show, but the things she did weren't any worse than anything that say, Sa-chan usually does on the show.

Although, they basically censored half her actions, so maybe it's one of those things where purposely censoring something makes it more risque than it would have been uncensored.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Episode 233 is ok but 232 wasn't? I'll have to rewatch 232 to see what could have possibly caused a stir.

NeonZ

Articalys said:

There was some crude humor, but not much more than usual. The parody of the politician "Renho" might actually be the true culprit here. I think there was even a scene where "Renho" threw shit at Katsura in a flashback. It really sounds like parodying him was the actual problem, not Gintama's usual antics.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
NeonZ said:
There was some crude humor, but not much more than usual. The parody of the politician "Renho" might actually be the true culprit here. I think there was even a scene where "Renho" threw shit at Katsura in a flashback. It really sounds like parodying him was the actual problem, not Gintama's usual antics.
Haha, that was based on a real dude?

NeonZ

firehawk12 said:
Haha, that was based on a real dude?

The article quote above mentions him:

a politician named "Renhō" (a possible reference to an Upper House legislator and the current Minister for Government Revitalisation whose full name is Renhō Murata).

Reborn 116 - 220
tumblr_lui1azYfcv1qbxqfpo1_250.gif

I didnt understand the point of many of the episodes, five of them and Tsuna still didnt put on the lenses, and even worst, essentially every episode was basically recap. Were they close to the manga at that point in time. But I love how Sistema CAI turned out.

Cwarrior

iSurvivedTheOutage said:

DB
DBZ
Sailor Moon
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Samurai Champloo
Akira
All Appleseed movies
Eden of the East (both)
Yu Yu Hakusho
Inuyasha.

If you have that fighting sprite then you need to watch Hajime no ippo

Articalys said:
Boku wa Tomodachi 6 (am I going to be the only person to not make puns off the series title?)
I don't, but I get tired of saying how much I dislike Yozora, so I wasn't even going to bother this week.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
NeonZ said:
The article quote above mentions him:
Hrm. It's weird because a few episodes ago, they kept making joking references to someone named "Pinko" who I assume is also some well known public figure. Maybe it's a bit too satirical for cartoons this time around. :p

Master Milk said:
I don't, but I get tired of saying how much I dislike Yozora, so I wasn't even going to bother this week.
It's interesting, given that she's basically being set up as the "winner", they're doing as much as possible to make her unsympathetic.

Of course, I'm sure it's all an excuse for them to break down the character and show how it's all a self-defence mechanism due to childhood trauma.

Guilty Crown 5
tumblr_luhoqpQwvc1qaqrsbo2_500.gif

Shu is pretty cool..
Hes pretty strong for all the emotions they make him go through and terrible Inori for saying that, She could have done something back instead of running after he expressed his gratitude for her coming to him.

The graphics are still pretty nice and I love the variety of the voids.

I hope Kenji Kido has a major role; cool character design.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
firehawk12 said:
Hrm. It's weird because a few episodes ago, they kept making joking references to someone named "Pinko" who I assume is also some well known public figure. Maybe it's a bit too satirical for cartoons this time around. :p
While watching the "Pinko" episodes I got the feeling she was a character from a popular Japanese tv drama. In anime, work of fiction parodies seem to be more commonly censored than parodies of real people.

Deadly

Guilty Crown 5
Damn you guys were right this show need more wheelchair girl! Gai is probably going to die before the end. Maybe he dies at the end of the first part than mini-timeskip to Shu as some badass leader?

Deadly said:
Guilty Crown 5
Damn you guys were right this show need more wheelchair girl! Gai is probably going to die before the end. Maybe he dies at the end of the first part than mini-timeskip to Shu as some badass leader?

I thought he died this episode, the satellite laser devastated the area he is in?

duckroll

Deadly said:
Guilty Crown 5

Gai is Liquid Snake. He's going to be the final boss in ep22.

Deadly

Dedication Through Light said:
I thought he died this episode, the satellite laser devastated the area he is in?
It's pretty obvious he didn't die there, he seems major and it would be way too early. But
he's in the preview

What's the rule on spoiler tagging here? Same as manga-gaf? Once it's aired no spoiler-tagging necessary?

duckroll

Deadly said:
What's the rule on spoiler tagging here? Same as manga-gaf? Once it's aired no spoiler-tagging necessary?

If it's a spoiler, you tag it. If not you get banned. Pretty simple! Doesn't matter when something airs.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
BGBW said:
While watching the "Pinko" episodes I got the feeling she was a character from a popular Japanese tv drama. In anime, work of fiction parodies seem to be more commonly censored than parodies of real people.
Hrm, yeah. I always wondered if that was for comedic effect or if it's a real copyright thing.

Steroyd

Penguin Drum - 18

bow.gif

And Penguin #1 summed up that last chain of events quite wonderfully.

Articalys said:

tumblr_lty3wgiFlE1qjk6mxo1_500.gif

... nah it was par for the course.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
firehawk12 said:
It's interesting, given that she's basically being set up as the "winner", they're doing as much as possible to make her unsympathetic.

Of course, I'm sure it's all an excuse for them to break down the character and show how it's all a self-defence mechanism due to childhood trauma.

Well, mission accomplished on the writer's part. I'm on Team Rika.

NeonZ

firehawk12 said:
Hrm, yeah. I always wondered if that was for comedic effect or if it's a real copyright thing.

Japan doesn't have fair use laws protecting parodies. So, most anime stay clear from name dropping other shows, unless there's some shared ownership (like being based on mangas or light novels from the same publisher or being animated by a company that also owns some other franchise). For some reason, Mangas seem to be able to get away with more though.

Ryuukan

BGBW said:

I believe it was a reference to Izumi Pinko, an older actress who typically has roles like the Pinko character portrayed.

Instro said:
Yes, watch FullMetal Alchemist Brotherhood instead though. Superior remake. As for Ghost in the Shell, watch the first film, and then proceed to Stand Alone Complex.

What? No. Watch the series then the film. The film makes SO much more sense after seeing the series where the themes and terms and world are fully expanded

firehawk12

Subete no aware
RurouniZel said:
Well, mission accomplished on the writer's part. I'm on Team Rika.
Yaoi girl is best girl. That's the rule for all shows.

NeonZ said:
Japan doesn't have fair use laws protecting parodies. So, most anime stay clear from name dropping other shows, unless there's some shared ownership (like being based on mangas or light novels from the same publisher or being animated by a company that also owns some other franchise). For some reason, Mangas seem to be able to get away with more though.
Ryuukan said:
I believe it was a reference to Izumi Pinko, an older actress who typically has roles like the Pinko character portrayed.
Ah, that explains all the opaque references to other media. I imagine that libel laws are so crazy that they have to bleep out references to real people as well.

Outside of Buddha and Jesus I suppose. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom