• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

C'mon folks, we're all forgetting something important:

nhkultimate.jpg

Just finished Chobits.

I heard the plot became more focused in the second half but that really didn't pan out at all. As a matter of fact they don't even bother explaining anything until like, the second to last episode? And even then it's really half-assed and rushed. Rushed after spending full episodes about ghost stories and MMORPG filler.... yeah. We never even see him actually get into college and we barely even explore the consequences of him entering into a relationship with Chii. I dunno, I liked some of the show but overall it was really creepy and unsatisfying, 6/10.

I heard the manga's better, is that true?

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
airmangataosenai said:
Just finished Chobits.

I heard the plot became more focused in the second half but that really didn't pan out at all. As a matter of fact they don't even bother explaining anything until like, the second to last episode? And even then it's really half-assed and rushed. Rushed after spending full episodes about ghost stories and MMORPG filler.... yeah. We never even see him actually get into college and we barely even explore the consequences of him entering into a relationship with Chii. I dunno, I liked some of the show but overall it was really creepy and unsatisfying, 6/10.

I heard the manga's better, is that true?
HIDEKI! *points*

trejo

Chobits is not all that good in retrospect. I think I only liked it at the time because I was still in my 'all anime is so fucking awesome' phase.

Ningyo Hime is still a good song, mind you.

Branduil

airmangataosenai said:
Yeah, yanderes can kill the one they love under circumstances such as their target showing interest/speaking with anyone other than them.
I don't think using the word hipster really fulfills that criteria.

Instro

Souten Kouro 1-5
GHsGm.jpg

So manly and fabulous, what a cool show. Its got it all: action, intrigue, philosophy, and romance! Cao Cao is magnificent main character, charismatic as fuck. Who wouldn't want to follow this dude. It's a good looking show too. Particularly the backgrounds which are very pretty at times, with tons of cherry blossom trees and stuff(or I suppose they are plum blossoms actually).

Articalys

Well, this was interesting. Just finished up a marathon playthrough of Wind Waker in anticipation of Skyward Sword, and when the credits reached the list of voice actors in the game, suddenly the last two names catch my eye: Asami Imai and Chiaki Takahashi. Always surprising to see people show up where you least expect it...
iM@S in your Zelda? It's more likely than you think (though that picture is the other way around, I guess).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
I think you've made the mistake of assuming you know who the characters are when perhaps the audience doesn't have all the information.
hosannainexcelsis said:
The narrative and writing have been the most consistently strong elements of Mawaru Penguin Drum. Its main weaknesses have been on the execution side - the direction, the animation, the art, and the pacing have at times gotten in the way of effective storytelling.

There's a difference between inconsistently defined characters and characters dealing with the theme of
false selves and self-deception
Honestly, it felt like when a face wrestler does a heel turn out of nowhere. Except without the entertaining camp value of seeing someone you care about suddenly become a villain.

Steroyd

zeroshiki said:
Animegaf.

ARE. YOU. READY?!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a163/shikiroa/k-onticket.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

I can't enjoy tea and biscuits anymore knowing that that's what brought them here.

The invasion of my homeland is nigh.

zeroshiki

mAcOdIn said:
Is that a classy condom so you don't dirty the floor, or the seat in front of you, during viewing? Smart idea if so.

Its actually the bag the keychain came in. The wind blew it upside down as I was taking the pic.

mAcOdIn

zeroshiki said:
Its actually the bag the keychain came in. The wind blew it upside down as I was taking the pic.
My condolences to the janitor then. I can only imagine the disturbance in the force if millions of otaku suddenly moened in pleasure. I bet even Obi Wan would need a cigarette.

Steroyd

Oniisama e - 02

Looks like I need to climatise to this level of dramatising everything, some scenes like the stunned silence with the piano playing was done well, but how that scene was put together was funny.

zeroshiki said:
Animegaf.

ARE. YOU. READY?!

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a163/shikiroa/k-onticket.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

the clumsy girl eats ice-cream in winter! soo moe!

not really, but I will now eat ice cream too.

duckroll

I love saturdays, because I love Saber/Rider. <3 <3

Saber/Rider Ep7

Another great episode. Kickass fights, kickass drama, kickass cliffhanger. And finally
master vs master action! OMG!!
So sweet. Kiritsugu, will you marry me? We'll run away together and you can forget all about Iris and Ilya! ^_^

Master Keaton 12

Little old ladies make the best detectives.

[Mawaru Penguin Drum 18]

firehawk12 said:
Honestly, it felt like when a face wrestler does a heel turn out of nowhere. Except without the entertaining camp value of seeing someone you care about suddenly become a villain.

If you're talking about
Tabuki, we knew practically nothing about him for the first half of the show except the most superficial layer of his life. He didn't have a face to make a heel turn from. Pieces of his backstory related to Momoka have slowly trickled out, and none of them have been inconsistent with what was ultimately revealed in episode 18.

If there's any complaint I have with the character development, it wouldn't be incoherence, but the uneven parceling out of information, where a character will be hanging around for a while and then get backstory dumped all at once.
Tabuki has actually been one of the better cases of avoiding this, thanks to his conversations with Ringo and the subway flashback, as opposed to Himari, Yuri, and Masako.

Steroyd

Hidamari Sketch SP 1 & 2

:cajun

Until this day my brain could not process Nazuna being voiced by Chiaki Omigawa, today I heard a little bit of Omigawaness in the voice, and now I'm starting to believe maybe it's true.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
zeroshiki said:
Animegaf.

ARE. YOU. READY?!

k-onticket.png
YOU NEED FOUR MORE TICKETS.

hosannainexcelsis said:
[Mawaru Penguin Drum 18]

If you're talking about
Tabuki, we knew practically nothing about him for the first half of the show except the most superficial layer of his life. He didn't have a face to make a heel turn from. Pieces of his backstory related to Momoka have slowly trickled out, and none of them have been inconsistent with what was ultimately revealed in episode 18.

If there's any complaint I have with the character development, it wouldn't be incoherence, but the uneven parceling out of information, where a character will be hanging around for a while and then get backstory dumped all at once.
Tabuki has actually been one of the better cases of avoiding this, thanks to his conversations with Ringo and the subway flashback, as opposed to Himari, Yuri, and Masako.
To me, it just didn't make sense in the context of how this character knew the other characters before the 'heel' turn. Anyway, "parcelling information" is really just another form of characterization - and it's not like I demand to know everything up front given that I'm perfectly fine with enigmatic characters on both ends of the "face/heel" spectrum. It's just what they did with this particular character felt very odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom