• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Branduil

7Th said:
So good they recycled it in the 90's and it looked better than the new animation.
Beauty and the Beast?

icarus-daedelus said:
edit: also hair animation. the titular character is on screen for like 3 seconds total, but she gets great hair animation nonetheless.
It's a little longer than 3 seconds.

7Th

icarus-daedelus said:
Also, if you're talking about what I think you're talking about and not like an obscure WMT movie I've never heard of or something, that movie was in production for like 8 years so the dancing had damn well better been superior to IM@S.

Strangely enough, there are only two Sleeping Beauty animated adaptations. And it's impossible to praise the animation in one of them.

Branduil

7Th said:
I suspected as much, but it's still hilarious to watch. Dat dancing animation.

Ahahaha the comments.

"My favourite movies are not from Disney. They're from Jetlag Productions. "

"I loved doing this song....It's my voice you hear. When I recorded this in 1994, I thought I was just doing a demo of it. Turns out, I'm actually on the video....I'm so glad you love it! Stay Tuned! I actually have my demo tape of this song and one from Snow White and The Nutcracker, just so you know I'm not kidding..."

Branduil

icarus-daedelus said:
True, but I find it amusing that out of the main characters Aurora gets the least amount of screentime, by far.

Her character animation is so good, though. Soooo gooooood.
The whole movie has amazing animation. I guess that's what happens when you have a ludicrous budget.

7Th

Branduil said:
The whole movie has amazing animation. I guess that's what happens when you have ridiculously talented animators.

Fixed. Modern Disney movies don't have a lower budget than the classics, it's all about the talent involved.

[Mawaru Penguin Drum 18]

firehawk12 said:
To me, it just didn't make sense in the context of how this character knew the other characters before the 'heel' turn. Anyway, "parcelling information" is really just another form of characterization - and it's not like I demand to know everything up front given that I'm perfectly fine with enigmatic characters on both ends of the "face/heel" spectrum. It's just what they did with this particular character felt very odd.

Are you asking,
"Why did Tabuki wait so long to enact his revenge if he's been the Takakuras' homeroom teacher all this time?"
That's a good question.
The way I understood it was that Tabuki was not intentionally lying when he told Ringo and Yuri that he had no more desire for revenge. He genuinely thought he had worked through his issues and could associate with the Takakura children without hating them for what their parents did. But as he continued to associate with Ringo and Yuri, painful memories of Momoka were brought back to the surface and he found that his hatred had only been suppressed, not dealt with. Thus when Ringo asks him in episode 18 why he is acting against his earlier statement, Tabuki can only turn away and say nothing since he is too ashamed to admit that he had not only lied to her, but to himself.

As it turned out, Tabuki did not have the nerve to see his plan through to the end, so he didn't make a "heel" turn after all. Several characters have acted antagonistically towards the Takakuras, but "face/heel" is too simplistic to describe their actions and character in most cases. Sanetoshi is the only character who I see as a genuine villain.

duckroll

7Th said:
Fixed. Modern Disney movies don't have a lower budget than the classics, it's all about the talent involved.

Actually... they kinda do. If you take straight inflation calculations, they would have similar or slightly lower budgets, but that isn't quite accurate in terms of how films used to be made. The scale of productions and time spent on them in the past is pretty much impossible to replicate today at the same costs, even with adjusted inflation.

Sleeping Beauty took almost 10 years to make, and would have bankrupted Disney if it was not a huge commercial success. It was also shot on 70mm film. They also did a lot of live action referencing for their films in the past, where they had actual actors and actresses dressed up in full costumes, acting out the scenes which were storyboarded, just so the animators could observe natural motion as a form of reference to adapt to animation.

A movie like Ben Hur, even with inflation adjusted costs, would have a budget of less than 100 million USD. But in the same way, with 100 million USD today, there is no way you would be able to make a movie like Ben Hur. It would cost much, much more.

Yes, there is less traditional animation talent in Disney movies today, but the budgets are also lower when you consider how much time and effort the studio is willing to put into each production. That also hurts it, and in turn prevents quality talent from developing there nowadays.

7Th

duckroll said:
Actually... they kinda do. If you take straight inflation calculations, they would have similar or slightly lower budgets, but that isn't quite accurate in terms of how films used to be made. The scale of productions and time spent on them in the past is pretty much impossible to replicate today at the same costs, even with adjusted inflation.

Yes, there is less traditional animation talent in Disney movies today, but the budgets are also lower when you consider how much time and effort the studio is willing to put into each production. That also hurts it, and in turn prevents quality talent from developing there nowadays.

I took inflation into account when comparing budgets, actually; Pinnochio's adjusted budget is nearly half the budget of Lion King, Beauty and the Beast and less than half the budget of The Princess and The Frog. You're right in saying that straightforward numerical comparisons aren't fair; but I think that the production process and the people involved make a bigger difference than the amount of money invested.

Branduil

icarus-daedelus said:
It probably helped that Walt Disney was a terrible businessman content to nearly drive his company into the ground over passion projects that went waaaay over budget and failed to recoup costs on their first run releases, though. Paging Fantasia.
Fantasia was great though. Disney's two best animated films were the ones that took way too long and cost way too much.

Then they started making crap like the Aristocats.

duckroll

7Th said:
I took inflation into account when comparing budgets, actually; Pinnochio's adjusted budget is nearly half the budget of Lion King, Beauty and the Beast and less than half the budget of The Princess and The Frog. You're right in saying that straightforward numerical comparisons aren't fair; but I think that the production process and the people involved make a bigger difference than the amount of money invested.

But you can't separate the production process and the amount of money invested so easily. That's my point. Even when you take inflation into account, when we're talking about something like making films, it really doesn't translate properly at all. Sleeping Beauty would cost just under 50 million USD if we translate the budget using inflation. But that's not the "real" cost. It would basically be impossible for Disney to do what they did with Sleeping Beauty today, with 50 million USD. They wouldn't even be able to do it with 100 million USD.

Even if they have people today in the studio with the same amount of talent as the staff who worked on Sleeping Beauty, a budget of 80-90 million USD (which is the standard budget for a modern Disney animated film) would not give that team the same amount of creative freedom and time to a movie like that.

I'll agree that it is true that raw numbers in terms of dollars is not what is holding Disney back. They can still afford to spend quite a sum of money to produce their films, but what I'm saying is that in the modern production world today, especially in America, you don't get the same bang for your buck as you did in the 50s. This means that to get equal quality, they would have to spend significantly more. The inflation of movie production costs is surprisingly much higher than normal inflation for the rest of the economy.

Dynedom

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Disney not only made some great movies but some of the best animated TV shows ever. They were campy as hell but who cares? Pure fun. Their catch theme songs and fun factor are a lost art form. Rescue Rangers, Duck Tales, Darkwing Duck, etc.

NewFresh

icarus-daedelus said:
It probably helped that Walt Disney was a terrible businessman content to nearly drive his company into the ground over passion projects that went waaaay over budget and failed to recoup costs on their first run releases, though. Paging Fantasia.
But so worth it in the end.

duckroll

EmmanuelMunoz said:
But so worth it in the end.

Is it really worth it in the end? By doing what he did, he gave us a glimpse of what would be possible creatively without the specter of capitalism looming over Hollywood. If not for that glimpse we might be none the wiser, and have lower standards, allowing ourselves to enjoy shitty animation more!

:D

Reknoc

Steroyd said:
The only big red phone booth I've seen is The Tardis, and that ain't even red.

I think there's still red phone booths around. Certainly no Police Boxes anymore though! Except in Yorkshire.

NewFresh

duckroll said:
Is it really worth it in the end? By doing what he did, he gave us a glimpse of what would be possible creatively without the specter of capitalism looming over Hollywood. If not for that glimpse we might be none the wiser, and have lower standards, allowing ourselves to enjoy shitty animation more!

:D

Ignorance is bliss :(

NewFresh

icarus-daedelus said:
I wouldn't disagree; out of the first five Disney films, Snow White and Dumbo were the only two that actually made a profit - and Snow White still went over budget, lulz - while Fantasia, Pinocchio, and Bambi, beautiful as they are, were huge disasters that all lost money.

But this was back in the day when WDFA was actually willing to take artistic & financial risks, far prior to them becoming a giant corporate monster that keeps around their 2D animators only because John Lasseter of all people forced them to.

They were unaware of Pinocchio being a financial disaster when starting production on Fantasia and Bambi. It was Hitlers fault that it failed (partially at least).
But you are right, this was the beginning of Disney going public to recoup costs for their financial missteps.

trejo

weeaboo said:
gaijin cartoons DISGUSTING
KYIqP.jpg

NewFresh

icarus-daedelus said:
It's a little weird to me that Pinocchio and Bambi (especially Bambi movie-wise) are like cultural touchstones now, but were such failures on their initial run. And yeah, to be fair, the war in Yurop ATT was a big part of that failure.

Oh and Fantasia was just about the most ridiculous idea anyone at that company ever had. He wanted to do traveling roadshows (like Midori! lol!) and update it every few years with new semi-abstract kitschy animations for various classical pieces. Not surprisingly it dropped like a hot potato. Some of the animation in it is absolute sex, tho.

Walt even said it was a mistake, not artistically, but for the company. I think the most disappointing thing about Fantasia failing to make bank, was that it became the catalyst for them to focus on more mass appeal type movies.

cajunator

Banned
PdotMichael said:
The last Working'!! episode was great and
Neko
-Yamada is soo :cajun.

But now, after the preview for the next episode,
I'm afraid that the next episode is the last episode with Yamada like in the manga version
Wait, NEKO YAMADA?
OHSHITMUSTSEE.

trejo

Wor'kin'g'!!' 7

It was funny seeing Takanashi suffer. Too bad everything returned to the status quo by the end of the episode, unsurprisingly.

Steroyd said:
I don't think it's wise to tell you about the woof woof poplar either.
I believe wan wan is the proper nomenclature.

trejo

PdotMichael said:
But now, after the preview for the next episode,
I'm afraid that the next episode is the last episode with Yamada like in the manga version
What do you mean
last episode with Yamada
?

Fuck this show if true. :(

Steroyd

cajunator said:
I guess I'll just skip right to it.
Nothing really happens in Working anyway.

For someone responsible for the :cajun emote, you sure missed some gems like the Yamada doll, and poplar struggling to reach high places, just poplar existing in previous episodes.

I learned in the school two interpretations of the horses

1. The horses symbolize the isolation due to the lack of solidarity of the society

2. The horses symbolize the inner strength of the doctor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom