• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Steroyd said:
For someone responsible for the :cajun emote, you sure missed some gems like the Yamada doll, and poplar struggling to reach high places, just poplar existing in previous episodes.
I've seen the first series and I know these sorts of examples. However I have also been trying to balance some game time in there along with watching a marathon of Zelda games for some UK charity up to Skyward Sword release day. Right now they are about to beat Links Awakening.

Blackheim

Alright, I have a soon to be 13 year old niece. She likes anime (I played a small part in that >_>) and usually I'm pretty good about picking stuff out she digs. Has anything come out recently that would be age appropriate that I could give her for Xmas?

She likes and/or has:

InuYasha (yeah...)
Naruto
FLCL (oops! saw me watching this one and liked it though basically all of the innuendo thankfully went over her head)
Slayers
Air TV
Soul Eater
Ultra Maniac
Ghibli movies
Black Cat
Probably more, but that's all I can think of right now.

So, I would like suggestions for something fairly recent that would be like those and has had a US release please :D

Risette

A Good Citizen
Blackheim said:
Alright, I have a soon to be 13 year old niece. She likes anime (I played a small part in that >_>) and usually I'm pretty good about picking stuff out she digs. Has anything come out recently that would be age appropriate that I could give her for Xmas?

She likes and/or has:

InuYasha (yeah...)
Naruto
FLCL (oops! saw me watching this one and liked it though basically all of the innuendo thankfully went over her head)
Slayers
Air TV
Soul Eater
Ultra Maniac
Ghibli movies
Black Cat

So, I would like suggestions for something fairly recent that would be like those and has had a US release please :D
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood?

Does she have a Blu-ray player?

Blackheim

Aigis said:
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood?

Does she have a Blu-ray player?

She's seen some FMA, don't know if it was FMA or FMA:B or if she liked it. She likes Vic Mignonanana though. I'll find out later when I see her again. Nope, she doesn't have a blu-ray player...

Blackheim

icarus-daedelus said:
Kanon 2002
Kanon 2006
Air the Movie
Clannad the Movie
Clannad TV
Clannad: After Story
Angel Beats!

Haha, well ... I don't have to live with her so I COULD do that. Her parents may hate me though :p She probably has already watched at least one of those on Netflix.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Blackheim said:

She likes and/or has:

InuYasha (yeah...)
Naruto
Slayers
Air TV
Soul Eater
Ultra Maniac
Ghibli movies
Black Cat

She might like Martian Successor Nadesico. Kino's Journey is something I suggest to everyone as well. Top class stuff there.

Risette

A Good Citizen
icarus-daedelus said:
Kanon 2002
Kanon 2006
Air the Movie
Clannad the Movie
Clannad TV
Clannad: After Story
Angel Beats!
D:
--

Also, Casshern Sins is pretty popular among 13-16 year old girls and the like on Youtube it seems. It has fabulous looking prettyboys doing cool stuff and is pretty good to boot. It comes in a complete series set with all the BDs and DVDs.

cajunator

Banned
Blackheim said:

She likes and/or has:

InuYasha (yeah...)
Naruto
Slayers
Air TV
Soul Eater
Ultra Maniac
Ghibli movies
Black Cat

She might like The girl Who Leapt Through Time.
Also, Summer Wars was pretty fun.

Blackheim

doomed1 said:
She might like Martian Successor Nadesico. Kino's Journey is something I suggest to everyone as well. Top class stuff there.

That's some good stuff, I've been holding out for a blu-ray of that for myself >_> I may show her an episode to gauge her reaction. Kino, hmm, she seems to like the wacky stuff so I'm not sure she'd take to that immediately, or at all for a while.

Aigis said:
Also, Casshern Sins is pretty popular among 13-16 year old girls and the like on Youtube it seems. It has fabulous looking prettyboys doing cool stuff and is pretty good to boot. It comes in a complete series set with all the BDs and DVDs.

Hmm, yeah I remember seeing that. I'd have to consult her dad about that one. He and I watched it and if he says ok, I'll show her an episode or 2 and again gauge her reaction.

cajunator

Banned
Kino might be a bit too serious for a 13 year old. Some really mature themes in it and also so disturbing stuff. Not graphically so, but mentally.

Uchip

Banned
Blackheim said:

She likes and/or has:

InuYasha (yeah...)
Naruto
Slayers
Air TV
Soul Eater
Ultra Maniac
Ghibli movies
Black Cat

my younger sister loves Fullmoon wo sagashite
try that

Blackheim

icarus-daedelus said:
Teenage girls like Revolutionary Girl Utena, right? It's so shoujo it even has shoujo in the title.

Next things you'll be recommending: Boco no Pico, Bible Black and Nice Boats :/

Cajunator said:
She might like The girl Who Leapt Through Time.
Also, Summer Wars was pretty fun.

I tried showing her TGWLTT a while back, got bored. Summer Wars is a maybe...

wonzo

Banned
Neko-Yamada'!! 7

Ivqqw.gif

The next episode better not be the last one with Yamada ;_;

Blackheim said:
Aria (the good one)

Steroyd

Blackheim said:

She likes and/or has:

InuYasha (yeah...)
Naruto
Slayers
Air TV
Soul Eater
Ultra Maniac
Ghibli movies
Black Cat

My little sister is about that age, she absolutely LOVES Fruit Basket, Azumanga Diaoh, Midori Days, Kaleido Star, Karin and One Piece.

Yeah screening anime can be a pain in the ass at times, especially shows that look okay on the surface. ¬_¬

iammeiam

icarus-daedelus said:
Teenage girls like Revolutionary Girl Utena, right? It's so shoujo it even has shoujo in the title.

The appropriateness of the later arcs may be sort of in doubt, but the entire anime watching contingent of my 13-15 year-old girls-only dorm was hooked on the first arc way back when it first came out on VHS. If it's not too old, the first box set actually wouldn't be too crazy (we also loved Fushigi Yuugi, in all of its melodrama, and Rurouni Kenshin was really popular.)

Skip Beat really needs a US DVD release, because that'd be a good one.

Blackheim

Branduil said:
Disown her.

Haha, well, she's notorious for saying doesn't like something and then 2 weeks later she's like OMG DID YOU KNOW THIS THING IS AWESOME?! And I'm like, uhhh didn't I show/ask/tell you about that a bit ago and you didn't like it? She gets all shy and is like yeaahhhh, BUT IT'S SO GOOD, LEMME TELL YOU ALL ABOUT IT!!! And then I'm lost to a pre-teen/teen girl tripping over her words trying to tell me all about something. :/ She's something else heh...

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
cajunator said:
Kino might be a bit too serious for a 13 year old. Some really mature themes in it and also so disturbing stuff. Not graphically so, but mentally.
But... My little sister first watched it when she was 13 and she liked it alot... Then again, she did watch Evangelion a couple months later and laughed when Kaworu got his head popped off... >__>

Blackheim said:
That's some good stuff, I've been holding out for a blu-ray of that for myself >_> I may show her an episode to gauge her reaction. Kino, hmm, she seems to like the wacky stuff so I'm not sure she'd take to that immediately, or at all for a while.
Hey, if she liked Air, a change of pace is always nice. Show her a few episodes of Kino and see what she thinks. I wouldn't underestimate her.

Blackheim

Steroyd said:
My little sister is about that age, she absolutely LOVES Fruit Basket, Azumanga Diaoh, Midori Days, Kaleido Star, Karin and One Piece.

Yeah screening anime can be a pain in the ass at times, especially shows that look okay on the surface. ¬_¬

Oh yeah, she has seen/likes Fruits Basket I think. Azumanga might actually be something, I've thought about buying it before. Maybe this year. Well, Midori Days is cute and all, but tiny Midori tits and loud brash sister tits probably should be avoided :p I've checked out Kaleido Star and was on the fence about that one too, not sure. She says she doesn't like One Piece (even though she hasn't seen a single episide) so that means she'd probably like it going by past history hah.

Uchip said:
its not really about that

K, I'll keep it in mind then, thank you :D

icarus-daedelus said:
It would have blown my mind at the age of thirteen, man.

Oh, no doubt, would probably give her an personality identity and sexual identity crisis and that probably wouldn't be the worst that happened :p

Blackheim

doomed1 said:
But... My little sister first watched it when she was 13 and she liked it alot... Then again, she did watch Evangelion a couple months later and laughed when Kaworu got his head popped off... >__>

Hey, if she liked Air, a change of pace is always nice. Show her a few episodes of Kino and see what she thinks. I wouldn't underestimate her.

Yeah, but it had that little goofy dog and dinosaur girl which probably sucked her in. Oh and she loved the OP/ED music.

Instro

Blackheim said:

She likes and/or has:

InuYasha (yeah...)
Naruto
Slayers
Air TV
Soul Eater
Ultra Maniac
Ghibli movies
Black Cat

Hm.. Escaflowne, Azumanga Daioh, Spice and Wolf, or FMA: Brotherhood might be good choices? Summer Wars would also be a good one.

trejo

Madoka Magica. it's got magical girls and cute mascots and shit. Alternatively, Vampire Princess Miyu.

Serious answer: Lovely Complex.

Oh shit, tell her to watch You Are Umasou.

Blackheim

Instro said:
Hm.. Escaflowne, Azumanga Daioh, Spice and Wolf, or FMA: Brotherhood might be good choices? Summer Wars would also be a good one.

Oh yeah, she has the first season of Spice and Wolf, I got that for her last Xmas.

trejo said:
Madoka Magica. it's got magical girls and cute mascots and shit. Alternatively, Vampire Princess Miyu.

Serious answer: Lovely Complex.

Oh shit, tell her to watch You Are Umasou.

Yeah, just because I don't participate much in these threads doesn't mean I don't know the more 'notorious' shows that come out :p

I'll add those other two to the list to screen though, thank you :D

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Jexhius should watch Pinocchio next so we can be besties. It has the best turning-children-into-donkeys-for-use-as-slave-labor animation ever.

edit: fuck it, best animation in any Disney movie, fullstop.
It's on my list!

Blackheim said:

She likes and/or has:

InuYasha (yeah...)
Naruto
Slayers
Air TV
Soul Eater
Ultra Maniac
Ghibli movies
Black Cat

Your niece has good taste. Check out this post. From there, I would recommend Getbackers (it's in English, but Takao didn't put it in the post), Busou Renkin, and maybe Fairy Tail. Possibly Negima as well, but there's a decent amount of implied partial nudity. A 13 year old could probably handle it though since it's totally innocent.

Jex

Reknoc said:
It doesn't look like that any of the time. I'm not even sure where they're meant to be, except maybe the past.
Maybe Cambridge in the summer, but then there's those red old style buses....
icarus-daedelus said:
[...]Also, if you're talking about what I think you're talking about and not like an obscure WMT movie I've never heard of or something, that movie was in production for like 8 years so the dancing had damn well better be superior to IM@S.

edit: also hair animation. the titular character is on screen for like 3 seconds total, but she gets great hair animation nonetheless.
Well to be fair, everything had good animation.

Blackheim

cosmicblizzard said:
Possibly Negima as well, but there's a decent amount of implied partial nudity. A 13 year old could probably handle it though since it's totally innocent.

Yeah, something like that is fine as long as it's not sexualized nudity, if you know what I mean. She's seen some of and likes Ranma ½

Instro said:
Wait a minute, Oreimo just released last month didn't it? You should buy her that :D

Sounds great! I'll grab Urotsukidoji to go along with it!

>_>

Hellsing321 said:
Season 2 came out a few months ago.

Another possibility, though she hasn't talked much about it in a while so I thought I'd try something she wasn't familiar with.

-Minsc-

Blackheim said:

She likes and/or has:

InuYasha (yeah...)
Naruto
Slayers
Air TV
Soul Eater
Ultra Maniac
Ghibli movies
Black Cat

Well, this is one instance I won't recommend Mad Bull 34.

Jex

[Tintin: Unicorn Thing]

Tintin sure is a bland character, more so than I remember. Japan's pretty close to catching up to this level of CG, I think.

icarus-daedelus said:

Teenage girls of this era are unlikely to be willing to put up with 10 minutes of every 22 minute episode being reused animation. :3

Yes, I know you were being sarcastic.

iammeiam

Kodocha isn't recent, but it's a pretty good wacky/dramatic combination that is age-appropriate and easily/cheaply accessible in the US (well, half, but that's still a good 50 episodes)

icarus-daedelus said:
The first arc is specifically designed to snooker people into watching thinking it's just going to be your average crazy shoujo melodrama.

The US VHS box art even played up the Sailor Moon connection. I'm just glad we were suckered in by it; when we gradually got access to the rest of the show later, it was epic payoff.

Cwarrior said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RvAR5r2340

I laughed my ass off watching this.

Now to find out what this anime is about and if i should watch.

It's Umineko no Naku Koro ni. People who played the VNs hated the anime adaptation, much more so than they did the Higurashi anime. If you've never read the VNs and have no plans to, the series is pretty OK. It has a fantastic OP and the production values actually seem pretty decent as Studio DEEN shows go. If you haven't watched Higurashi no Naku Koro ni, you should go watch that first, the production values are terrible in the first season but DEEN actually completed the entire main story arc over 2 seasons and it's GLORIOUSLY BLOODY.

UUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUU UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!

Working'!! 7

Are they running a restaurant or an insane asylum?

The post-credits scene was frightening.

I like that the OP/ED have been updated to reflect the new characters.

Cwarrior said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RvAR5r2340

I laughed my ass off watching this.

Now to find out what this anime is about and if i should watch.

Save yourself! The OP and ED are the only worthwhile parts of the anime. Stick to the VN if you're interested in the story.

Steroyd

Blackheim said:
Oh yeah, she has seen/likes Fruits Basket I think. Azumanga might actually be something, I've thought about buying it before. Maybe this year. Well, Midori Days is cute and all, but tiny Midori tits and loud brash sister tits probably should be avoided :p I've checked out Kaleido Star and was on the fence about that one too, not sure. She says she doesn't like One Piece (even though she hasn't seen a single episide) so that means she'd probably like it going by past history hah.

Blackheim said:
Yeah, something like that is fine as long as it's not sexualized nudity, if you know what I mean. She's seen some of and likes Ranma ½

¬_¬

Ah yeah, my sister liked Cardcptors, even though I have yet to watch all of it and she liked Hanabe Ranmei even though I have yet to watch all of that to... my sister is putting me to shame damnit. :<

Steroyd said:
¬_¬

Ah yeah, my sister liked Cardcptors, even though I have yet to watch all of it and she liked Hanabe Ranmei even though I have yet to watch all of that to... my sister is putting me to shame damnit. :<

Drop everything else and finish Haibane Renmei, stat.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
[...]Also:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12085667/sku_ep3-1.jpg

[img]http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12085667/sku_ep3-2.jpg

Totally normal![/quote]
Totally normal [I]indeed[/I].

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom