• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

Articalys said:
Could you give some examples of what you mean by "lazy directing" (not necessarily in Spice and Wolf) and some recent shows that avoided it? Just so I'm clear on your argument.
Well we could even look at the same show, like Hanasaku Iroha and compare different episodes by different directors and storyboarders (as storyboarding is such a huge part of making an anime).

The opening episodes was 'directed' by Ando, of Sword of the Stranger fame. He constructed the episode, visually, like a movie. It feels expertly paced and shot, with careful attention paid to lots of minor details. For example, early on in the first episode the camera is placed inside the microwave, looking outwards. This is unusual placement, and more visually interesting then having the camera situated half-way across the room pointing at Ohana cooking. Later episodes, created by less skilled staff, weren't nearly as well constructed or paced or shot from interesting, unique places. They were just kind of 'there', most of them didn't do anything terrible but they weren't noticeable either.

In terms of lazy direction, for a conversation you usually have the classic shot over shoulder cut to shut over someone else's shoulder way of shooting a conversation, but it might be more interesting to mix up what the camera sees. Place it in a different location, at a different angle, or cut the two people talking together into one frame, or add something to the background which is tied in with what they're discussing, etc.

The difference between lazy direction and interesting direction won't always be as over the top as say, Penguin Drum 9 and some generic harem anime. In that Penguin Drum ep one of the director is clearly doing lots of weird, fascinating things with camera work and editing and lighting. The difference can be found in the minor details as well, so it really varies from show to show.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Uchip said:
its like winning the special olympics

Why are you insulting the Special Olympics?

hosannainexcelsis said:
A joke tag, a joke avatar, and a joke bingo box. You have indeed attained notoriety.

People spend their entire careers on GAF trying to achieve one of those things. I have done all 3 in record breaking time.

I love how the new bingo card you made already has half the spaces filled in.

darkside31337 said:
People spend their entire careers on GAF trying to achieve one of those things. I have done all 3 in record breaking time.

Don't get a big head or anything.

mAcOdIn

Jexhius said:
Well we could even look at the same show, like Hanasaku Iroha and compare different episodes by different directors and storyboarders (as storyboarding is such a huge part of making an anime).

The opening episodes was 'directed' by Ando, of Sword of the Stranger fame. He constructed the episode, visually, like a movie. It feels expertly paced and shot, with careful attention paid to lots of minor details. For example, early on in the first episode the camera is placed inside the microwave, looking outwards. This is unusual placement, and more visually interesting then having the camera situated half-way across the room pointing at Ohana cooking.

In terms of lazy direction, for a conversation you usually have the classic shot over shoulder cut to shut over someone else's shoulder way of shooting a conversation, but it might be more interesting to mix up what the camera sees. Place it in a different location, at a different angle, or cut the two people talking together into one frame, or add something to the background which is tied in with what they're discussing, etc.

The difference between lazy direction and interesting direction won't always be as over the top as say, Penguin Drum 9 and some generic harem anime. In that Penguin Drum ep one of the director is clearly doing lots of weird, fascinating things with camera work and editing and lighting. The difference can be found in the minor details as well, so it really varies from show to show.
The important thing to take away from this is that despite the disparity between Penguin Drum's direction and animation in each episode none of them are any good, so what does it matter? I consider the content being animated also part of direction and Spice and Wolf has that in spades.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Uchip said:
so basically good directing = getting funky with the camera angles

im not
im saying im proud of you!

Aw thanks!

Also SHAFT = best ever is what Jexhius was getting at.

mAcOdIn said:
The important thing to take away from this is that despite the disparity between Penguin Drum's direction and animation in each episode none of them are any good, so what does it matter? I consider the content being animated also part of direction and Spice and Wolf has that in spades.

saHpc.gif

Brilliance.

mAcOdIn

darkside31337 said:
Aw thanks!

Also SHAFT = best ever is what Jexhius was getting at.
Yep, Lawrence just needed a bunch of alternating closeups with different filters whenever he's discovered a deal's gone bad or Holo's been teasing him and it'd be so much better, not.

Jex

darkside31337 said:
I guess I can leave the thread in your capable hands.

zeroshiki

Dresden said:
Won't need to, statistically Guilty Crown is more likely to do it.

Guilty Crown has already half saved anime with those promo shots. I can't wait for episode 5 or so when C.C. actually makes an appearance to underscore the savior nature of this show.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
zeroshiki said:
Guilty Crown has already half saved anime with those promo shots. I can't wait for episode 5 or so when C.C. Lelouch actually makes an appearance to underscore the savior nature of this show.

Will easily be the best show of the year if they pulled that off.

Infinite Justice said:
people on GAF aim to be joke characters?

I can't help it that people get so offended when somebody doesn't actually like Penguindrum. Or really ugly looking series from 20+ years ago.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
mAcOdIn said:

Even episode 10 of Penguindrum is better than any spice and wolf episode. :3

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Wait wait..totally been out of the anime scene for years but a quick browse of the OP shows they're remaking HunterxHunter? The heck? Is it just like DBKai or will they continue further in the manga eventually? Starts this Sunday huh..maybe I'll watch it if nothing else is on TV.

Uchip

Banned
darkside and unknown soldier posting back to back...
the avatars make me feel like this is a subforum of animesuki/deviant art

Nonoriri said:

oh you

Articalys said:
By the way, it was briefly listed before but now it's totally confirmed that Crunchyroll will simulcast Ikamusume Season 2.

Which also means we should get ready for a flurry of announcements over the next few days laying out their entire season schedule.

Guess it's time to check out this Squid Girl thing.

Nonoriri said:

Weak.

Geneijin

worldrevolution said:
Wait wait..totally been out of the anime scene for years but a quick browse of the OP shows they're remaking HunterxHunter? The heck? Is it just like DBKai or will they continue further in the manga eventually? Starts this Sunday huh..maybe I'll watch it if nothing else is on TV.
It's a remake and will start from the beginning again with changes.

Nonoriri

hosannainexcelsis said:

It's true though. Despite looking ugly, and being weak overall, it's still a bit better than any spice and wolf episode.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Geneijin said:
It's a remake and will start from the beginning again with changes.

What's there to change? I remember the anime being frame for frame with the manga more or less. Guess I'll have to tune in to find out. I don't think I've watched/read Hunter in close to a decade.

mAcOdIn

darkside31337 said:
Brilliance.
How many times are you going to switch sides here?

Anyways, to go off on a tangent I'm going to rant about something recent, Mayo Chiki 12 to be exact. It goes without saying that this show sucks, I'm only in it now because I've come this far and I mistakenly thought this was the final episode. I was wrong, I guess there's another. Anyways, there's so many things wrong with this show. Like
how you can't trust Kanade, how do we even know she didn't set up Konoe being fired just so what's his name could have some moment here, why would a petition work for a family that fucking kidnaps people at knife point to train their children, why am I watching this shit? And the mains big moment was asking for help from a fan club for a petition, I thought he'd do something manly after his delivery but it was just that, he's not going to fight anyone?

Fuck this show.

Jintor

The last two pages of this thread (i'm not on gaf gold) are hilarious and have had me giggling at work for the last 5 minutes or so.

Instro

worldrevolution said:
What's there to change? I remember the anime being frame for frame with the manga more or less. Guess I'll have to tune in to find out. I don't think I've watched/read Hunter in close to a decade.
Less blood among other things apparently.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
mAcOdIn said:
How many times are you going to switch sides here?

I'm done switching sides. I liked Spice and Wolf and I've already made my general hatred of Penguindrum thus far well known.

Miri said:

S1 was better in general yes. For what Darker Than Black was at it's best and what it should have been and always been about, Hei's badassery involving alcohol, women, and his fists, S2's soundtrack fits much better.

Uchip

Banned
Nonoriri said:
It's true though. Despite looking ugly, and being weak overall, it's still a bit better than any spice and wolf episode.

in what way? at least i dont remember any episode where Lawrence just stopped moving and they panned the camera to imply movement

Nonoriri

Uchip said:
in what way? at least i dont remember any episode where Lawrence just stopped moving and they panned the camera to imply movement

Mac was talking about "content" not animation or direction.

worldrevolution said:

A remake starting from the beginning and is scheduled for 45+ episodes. It might make it further than the last show, but news about censorship and some less than desirable changes (Hisoka not being perverted, no Kaito in the beginning) don't give the show a great outlook.

mAcOdIn

darkside31337 said:
I'm done switching sides. I liked Spice and Wolf and I've already made my general hatred of Penguindrum thus far well known.
Ah, so you hate the Penguins too eh? Ok, I'll bite.
Nonoriri said:
You're right in what I was talking about and I will watch the episodes of MPD I'm missing up until 10 just so I can come back here and say "wrong" with more authority, not that I need any more to say "wrong" because you're wrong. Either way I guess whether discussing content or camera work both MPD and Spice and Wolf are better than the last two episodes of Eva.

darkside31337 said:
His is a joke avatar though, mine is an actual show.

That was no joke, it was serious business for serious bros.

However since the current theme is evidently big foreheads I have to change back to Iori for awhile.

Geneijin

worldrevolution said:
Not so much a needed change but a new direction, which will be for better or worse.

Nonoriri

mAcOdIn said:
Ah, so you hate the Penguins too eh? Ok, I'll bite.
You're right in what I was talking about and I will watch the episodes of MPD I'm missing up until 10 just so I can come back here and say "wrong" with more authority, not that I need any more to say "wrong" because you're wrong. Either way I guess whether discussing content or camera work both MPD and Spice and Wolf are better than the last two episodes of Eva.

The last two episodes of Eva are really interesting in terms of both content and direction though. I don't know if I would call them better, but they are certainly more memorable than anything in MPD and Spice and Wolf.

mAcOdIn

Nonoriri said:
The last two episodes of Eva are really interesting in terms of both content and direction though. I don't know if I would call them better, but they are certainly more memorable than anything in MPD and Spice and Wolf.
Well it is memorable in the sense it was probably the first time two whole episodes of an anime were produced solely using Microsoft's Powerpoint.

Uchip

Banned
Nonoriri said:

what "content" did episode 10 have? im actually curious as to what summary you can come up with without it sounding like a fanfiction

Geneijin

cosmicblizzard said:
A remake starting from the beginning and is scheduled for 45+ episodes. It might make it further than the last show, but news about censorship and some less than desirable changes (Hisoka not being perverted, no Kaito in the beginning) don't give the show a great outlook.
I thought Hisoka was a sadist?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom