• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Jexhius said:
No, bad direction and or/poor writing lead to a bad episode.

(I'm not sorry.)
But when it's ugly you don't even have to look at those things, it's just not worthwhile by default.

Jex

duckroll said:
I don't think it's a bad episode, certainly not on the level of actual bad episodes like ep14. But I don't think it's a particularly good episode either, nor do I feel that Gotoh is a particularly good director/storyboarder/artist/animator. Since I feel that he isn't a particularly talented guy, and the last episode he solo'd on was mediocre, it is hard to look forward to another episode which is he soloing, when other more capable people could have been given a chance instead. :)
This is like, an actual logical argument. I can only hope other people are working on the later episodes. I really don't think that it's a good idea for him to be making another episode considering how episode 10 went.
Aigis said:
But when it's ugly you don't even have to look at those things, it's just not worthwhile by default.
Once again, "it's ugly so it sucks" is not a logical argument, or even any kind of argument.

Perhaps something like "it's really distracting when one character is drawn with 17 different facial arrangements over the course of a single episode and this negatively affected my immersion in the story."

duckroll

Jexhius said:
This is like, an actual logical argument. I can only hope other people are working on the later episodes. I really don't think that it's a good idea for him to be making another episode considering how episode 10 went.

I'm excited to see what Akemi has to offer next week! :D

Risette

A Good Citizen
Jexhius said:
Once again, "it's ugly so it sucks" is not a logical argument, or even any kind of argument.

Perhaps something like "it's really distracting when one character is drawn with 17 different facial arrangements over the course of a single episode and this negatively affected my immersion in the story."
I don't see the need to spoonfeed stuff like that; I'm sure that any user here capable of.. thinking, would be able to figure out why I feel the way I do with about three or so seconds of actual thought.

Not everything in this thread needs to be a ~~super serious intellectual adult debate argumentative discussion~~~

Steroyd

Aigis said:
Awful art means bad episode by default, sorry.

No. Just because Stellvia has the most shitty cg that seen in motion, that it makes me feel like projectile vommiting, doesn't take away that it's a good series.

Episode 10 of Penguindrum wasn't that bad other than the art, it helps that it never relied on visual cues outside of basic shapes.

duckroll

You know, after thinking about it a little more. I'm really curious to see how ep19 will turn out. The main reason is, it's only 9 weeks after ep10. Depending on when ep10 itself was completed, it would mean that Gotoh had anything from 3-4 months to basically storyboard, direct, and animate another full length 21 minute episode mostly all by himself. That's not a lot of time at all. But considering the quality of ep10, I doubt he is the sort of animator who really puts in extra effort to make each keyframe look awesome. Asking him to do another episode is really puzzling.

Patlabor TV - 6

mpc-hc2011-11-1716-53af2pt.jpg

What can I say about a perfect show?

Dynedom

This is probably a bit of a moot point but I'm kinda happy Rin (Usagi Drop Rin, that is) didn't win in that league, considering she's so god damn young.

Actually I'm going to stop right there. Don't want to get into a whole "what is lolicon" debate again.

Jex

Aigis said:
I don't see the need to spoonfeed stuff like that; I'm sure that any user here capable of.. thinking, would be able to figure out why I feel the way I do with about three or so seconds of actual thought.

Not everything in this thread needs to be a ~~super serious intellectual adult debate argumentative discussion~~~
You don't have to directly respond to anybodies posts. However, when you do respond to someone's posts, especially when you're making a statement that's in direct opposition to that post, it wouldn't hurt to have some reasons or thought behind your argument, because falling back on the whole "I'm just posting a totally casual comment on the internet" is no excuse for making bad arguments.

duckroll

Jexhius said:
You don't have to directly respond to anybodies posts. However, when you do respond to someone's posts, especially when you're making a statement that's in direct opposition to that post, it wouldn't hurt to have some reasons or thought behind your argument, because falling back on the whole "I'm just posting a totally casual comment on the internet" is no excuse for making bad arguments.

To be fair, I'm going to support him here. Ep10 of Penguin Drum was mostly panned because of the art inconsistencies both within the episode, and in the context of the larger series. It wasn't just the art that was bad either, the actual animation was notably less energetic, the penguins did not look as cute or exciting as they normally did in their background gags. These all led to a relatively mediocre episode.

So yes, I would say that all that goes without saying (I am only repeating it here for the sake of the argument), and any regular reader of the thread, especially you, who he was directly responding to, would know what is indicated by IT IS UGLY THEREFORE IT SUCKS in this case.

icarus-daedelus said:
I'm at least imaginative enough to understand why someone else might.
If your wish is to become the target of assassination by a number of resourceful people when your only ally is a crazy, violent stalker girl, you should seek professional help.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
firehawk12 said:
Don't you wish your male best friend was secretly a girl who was madly in love with you? :cajun

:p. Actually that would really creep me out tbh.

hosannainexcelsis said:
If your wish is to become the target of assassination by a number of resourceful people when your only ally is a crazy, violent stalker girl, you should seek professional help.

If you suffer from this, don't delay! Call 1-800-YAN-DERE today for professional help!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Obsessed said:
If you think Mirai Nikki is wish fulfillment your wishes are fucked up. No debate.
I've known this for a long time. You won't hear me try to debate otherwise.

Chihayafuru 07
Ick. Not a great episode by any stretch. Visual gripes aside, the dragging people around with desks stuff seemed borderline slapstick, but without the intention of humor it mostly just felt like an inconsistency in the worlds' tone/physics/etc. I was hoping for more character development on the girl who was introduced last week, but instead this seems to be heading into the direction of nerd collection, with the characters mostly just hanging around afterwards to fill in any silent pauses in the story. The new studying nerd also just has a weird look to him that doesn't match up with the rest of the art at all. The opaque glasses, the flat eyebrows and face, and the literal ":3" face create a cartoonish caricature that does little to allay my fears he is a character with little scope who won't have any real impact on the story.

Jex

duckroll said:
To be fair, I'm going to support him here. Ep10 of Penguin Drum was mostly panned because of the art inconsistencies both within the episode, and in the context of the larger series. It wasn't just the art that was bad either, the actual animation was notably less energetic, the penguins did not look as cute or exciting as they normally did in their background gags. These all led to a relatively mediocre episode.

So yes, I would say that all that goes without saying (I am only repeating it here for the sake of the argument), and any regular reader of the thread, especially you, who he was directly responding to, would know what is indicated by IT IS UGLY THEREFORE IT SUCKS in this case.
Even though I guess you're taking over the argument for another person (?) and making a more convincing job of it (?) saying "IT IS UGLY THEREFORE IT SUCKS" doesn't mean anything. The original statement was "it's ugly therefore it's bad episode" which could apply specifically to that episode and/or it could apply to all things with 'ugly' art. It really wasn't clear, but from the original statement it sounded like bad art always makes bad episodes, which I don't think is true at all. I was trying to figure out if Aigis was indeed making that argument and, indeed, what reasons he had to support it.

More over, the whole point of my earlier comment was to say that I had actually revisited that episode and didn't feel that, second time around, that the bad art was as problematic as it had been earlier, despite all the problems which, I must admit, it caused. So in fact I wasn't working from the original position where the original discussions about that episode had come, rather, I was making a new comment based on re-evaluating the previous material so saying 'well everyone back then thought X', while still relevant, isn't the end of it.

Finally, working from a position that assumes that every user knows the complete history of the thread (and previous threads) and every post in it is not one that I find particularly helpful. I think it helps, from time to time, to clarify exactly what you mean, so that for those who are perhaps reading the thread for the first time can keep up with any particular discussion. I wouldn't want a discussion that I'm involved in to be completely opaque to an outside viewer. This isn't to say that people should go out of the way to explain every position they've ever held.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
duckroll said:
You killed me with a broken image link. Weak. :p

Huh. Works on my iPhone. God I wish I could access GAF using my work computer. Would make life so much easier.

EDIT: adjusted the image.

doomed1 said:
Is that even a yandere? I always got the impression that Sakura was just generally psychotic.

It was the first girl I could find with a spiked bat. I aim to please.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
RurouniZel said:
Thank you for calling YANDERE, how may I kill you? Tee hee!

http://immods.com/images/displaypic/im_anime_spiked_bat.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
Is that even a yandere? I always got the impression that Dokoro was just generally psychotic.

icarus-daedelus said:
I'm at least imaginative enough to understand why someone else might.

Again, I'm tempted to spoil the series.

icarus-daedelus said:
herp derp

Nice argument.

Look, I have some strange fetishes myself. But I've never seen someone with an assassination fetish. Or someone with a fetish for a girl who EP 6 spoilers:
would be willing to threaten their mother with a duffel bag of knives.

scy

hosannainexcelsis said:

Story of my life.

Ezalc

icarus-daedelus said:
You guys responded to me three times with almost the exact same statement, so, deal.

I read all of your posts differently now it's so odd.

firehawk12 said:
Don't you wish your male best friend was secretly a girl who was madly in love with you? :cajun

This would just mean things got a lot more sexy than they usually are.

Steroyd

hosannainexcelsis said:

Who needs drugs when the adrenaline rush of pure fear of getting killed every waking minute of every day gives you the same thrill.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
duckroll said:
The problem is not the late night slot, nor is it that there is no market for it. The problem is that you cannot want to be part of the core anime retail industry and want general audiences at the same time. The reason for this is very simple. The very business model of anime itself is a huge turn off to "general audiences" everywhere. No one who is not a hardcore anime fan would find it justifiable or "normal" to pay 70-80 dollars for a single volume of animation containing 2-3 episodes. That's 50-70mins of animated footage for 70-80 dollars, multiplied by 6-9 volumes, depending on the series. It's not even a matter of being able to afford it, it's a matter of thinking such pricing is retarded, and doing something better with your money instead.
cajunator killing the animu industry.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Obsessed said:
And you originally stated Mirai Nikki was standard nerd wish fulfillment.

Sure it may be wish fulfillment for some individuals, like this would be wish fulfillment for some individuals: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Junko_Furuta#Crime

But I wouldn't say it is wish fulfillment for 99.99% of people.
There are a lot of posts I see about Mirai Nikki alluding to people crushing on Yuno, and that she's the main draw of the show.

I'm not here to judge though.

Steroyd

Dance In My Blood said:
There are a lot of posts I see about Mirai Nikki alluding to people crushing on Yuno, and that she's the main draw of the show.

Lets not mix admiration from a distance with wish fullfillment here.

icarus-daedelus said:
Yes, and that was specifically in reference to the fact that loner loser boy suddenly gains incredible powers, an interesting life, and a hot, if crazy (!!), girlfriend. You are being obtuse, defensive, or blowing my original statement out of proportion. I am not familiar with the source material, although it isn't that hard to guess where this is going.

Yeah I guess if you ignore everything else about the series it is total wish fulfillment.

Like if there was an anime about a girl who got kidnapped, taken to a luxurious palace, and then raped it would be wish fulfillment because she got to live in a fancy house! Just ignore the kidnap and rape parts or you are being totally obtuse.

Dance In My Blood said:

You can enjoy a character's antics without wishing that you were close to that character in real life.

I can see the scenario of Mirai Nikki being attractive escapism for a certain type of person - someone who is very depressed and isolated and who has a nihilistic outlook on their life and humanity at large. And those people need professional help.

Dance In My Blood said:

I like Yuno as a character. She is interesting to watch because she is so fucking psychotic that I never know what she'll do.

I'd say she is the main draw of the show, but I wouldn't want a boyfriend like her IRL or even in a fantasy world.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dance In My Blood said:

Yuno may be mai waifu, but I sure as hell don't consider Whiny McBitcherton to be a role model to follow.

scy

Obsessed said:
Yeah I guess if you ignore everything else about the series it is total wish fulfillment.

Like if there was an anime about a girl who got kidnapped, taken to a luxurious palace, and then raped it would be wish fulfillment because she got to live in a fancy house! Just ignore the kidnap and rape parts or you are being totally obtuse.

I dunno, that example seems a bit out there... And, from just the setup start, it's not totally off-base to use the term wish fulfillment rather liberally: Zero to hero out of nowhere, even if the circumstances of it all are a little fucked up. "A little" being rather generous.

Perhaps the term itself is a bit of a loaded word (since ... it kind of denotes a generally positive thing) but it has quite a few of the makings of the typical setup. I like to think it played on that purposefully, though.

7Th

Obsessed said:
I like Yuno as a character. She is interesting to watch because she is so fucking psychotic that I never know what she'll do.

I'd say she is the main draw of the show, but I wouldn't want a boyfriend like her IRL or even in a fantasy world.

Would you want an abusive boy/girlfriend like Louise from ZnT? I mean, she is clearly considered a fantasy girlfriend type of character...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom