• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
duckroll said:
This is the part I don't understand though. Why would you assume that they'll be making money on those discs regardless? The price difference we're looking at for this to be meaningful would be very substantial, so that would have a very big impact.
Because discs are cheap to produce. Packaging, shipping, and everything, it can't cost more than ¥1000 to bring each unit to market, on the shelves of retailers, and that's a high estimate. What costs alot is the production itself. What you have to hope is that the high margin with relation to manufacturing makes up for the production costs of the show. I'm proposing that they use a combination of the high margin otaku model with a high volume mass market model.

And now you're talking as if these companies are in danger of dying. I already pointed out that the reason they're unwilling to change is because they're actually making money. They have cash cows, they're stable, and anime which counts is actually selling MORE now than it did in the past. Sales are not declining.
Oh, I know, and those wouldn't really change, but if they have the chance to sell even more? This is really more of a thought exercise than anything else, but there's a long term problem in anime production, and I just offered a long term solution. Not that it actually means anything. Like you said, I'm an armchair analyst, and people won't actually give me any power in these sorts of decisions anyway, so ultimately, my solution is born from a more detached position.

zeroshiki

firehawk12 said:
Absence of character. He's not a dick. Also, he's tall, dark and handsome!

Taichi plays soccer! If you play soccer, it automatically makes you hip, cool and popular with the ladies. Anime has taught me this.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
icarus-daedelus said:
Totally! Wait, what? I never said that. I can barely remember it; were they in a girls school or something?
Uguuuuu.

I would probably laugh if they slipped a Cho Aniki reference in there, but then I am a terrible person. Is it weird to you how the Japanese stereotype of gay men (as super buff and muscular) is flipped from the Western stereotype of the same (as delicate & effeminate)? Because it's weird to me.
If I had to venture a guess, it's probably the belief that all gay men must be effeminate matched with the Japanese version of the bear-type.

zeroshiki said:
Taichi plays soccer! If you play soccer, it automatically makes you hip, cool and popular with the ladies. Anime has taught me this.
Arata has a boss accent and is a glasses boy!

Ezalc

zeroshiki said:
Doesn't work for me. Then again when I'm in the country where 99% of males play soccer that doesn't mean much.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
wonzo said:
Boku no friends 7

Damn, that was some great self-ownage by Yozora. Rika > *

My favorite part of the episode. I spoilered the details, but yeah, that made me smile at the end. ^^;

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Steins;Gate 18: T-That's not how genetic works. What is this, Metal Gear Solid?
Steins;Gate 19: This is so wrong and yet so right.

The one thing I really hate about this show is that it gets too fucking dark at times. And I don't mean thematically, but rather about how everything looks gray and black and there's no lighting whatsoever so it makes it difficult to view what the fuck is happening during cramped shots unless I have the brightness turned all the way up. It's a strain on my already poor eyesight.

scy

Ezalc said:
There are ass men and legs men. I tend to fall to the latter category to be honest. Though anime boobs are something to behold.

Everything. Simply everything.

Edit: whoa, I should refresh more often.

Ezalc

scy said:
Everything. Simply everything.

Edit: whoa, I should refresh more often.

Yes it's good to dabble in a little bit of everything. Though great legs usually come pre-packaged with a great ass.

Uchip said:
being selective about which female features in anime you like most seems silly when you can have it all!

I wasn't talking about anime chicks.

Yozakura Quartet ~Hoshi no Umi~ 3 OVA 3

The best part about having read the manga is that I don't need to know Japanese to understand what's going on and can allow myself to observe the awesome animation of this OVA, and this OVA was great in that regard.

Silly and cliched plot development (
A simple phone call makes everything better
) gets made up with 2 really nice fights,
though they do leave out a little funny part with Enjin and Yae, but at least the falling scene at the end was done real well
. They weren't quite as awesome as the Kotoha scene in the 2nd OVA, though.

Overall, 2nd OVA > 3rd > 1st. I give it overall a 8/10 since I like the manga and it was very good faithful adaption even with certain scenes left out that I would've like to see animated.

scy

Uchip said:
being selective about which female features in anime you like most seems silly when you can have it all!

Wait, anime?
I'll take it all, with a side of everything.

...wait, where do foreheads sit in this?

Ezalc said:
Yes it's good to dabble in a little bit of everything. Though great legs usually come pre-packaged with a great ass.

My man.

Cwarrior

Ezalc said:
Those two are hot but nowhere near Cattleya level. I don't think I can even link pics of her, just search Cattleya Queen's Blade on google and you'll see what I mean.

daaaaam goku would have to pull off one huge kamehameha beam to censor that.

Am not a fan of fanservice unless it’s actually funny, which It rarely ever is.

Guilty Crown 06

Some well done mech action. Overall not as good as episode 1 or 4, but better than 5 and 3.
Aw, they killed the cute little girl from last episode already?!

I'm not sure if Gai's little confession was all a ploy to gain Shu's trust, or a genuine step of independence for Inori. Gai was still happy to say Inori "spoiled" him, I'm not sure if he understood Shu's meaning though(leaning towards yes).

Either way, Inori pulls some mojo and merges with another Void weapon to form a giga cannon, and Shu solves all the episodes problems. Shu and Gai reach an understanding.

More hints about Inori, with her image briefly changing to another girl. One with hair the exact colour as Gai's. His sister maybe? Shu's mother appears out of nowhere and mentions that something called Cocytus would soon awaken. I'm assuming Cocytus either is, or is linked to mystery girl. Since she is shown in the next episode preview.

The bad news: Next episode is back to high school shenanigans with Shu, Inori and Gai.

Instro

Guilty Crown 6

Hey, hand animated mecha. Writing is still bad, but at least Shu is becoming less of a bitch.

Also
lol at killing that little genki girl already, as if anyone would care about someone who had a minute of screen time.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Shitty Crown 06: Evangelion did it first.

The hand-drawn mecha animation looked stiff and choppy. If it's gonna be like that all the time I hope they get back to CGI. :/

EDIT: Shu becomes even more beta with every passing episode. His fixation with Inori is sickening at this point. She's manipulating him like a mastermind.

survivor

Banned
slopeslider said:
I keep hearing how Guilty crown has gotten better, but why did you guys watch it to begin with, sounds like it used to be shit
I watched one episode, knew it's gonna be shit and dropped it. Maybe it will get better, but I'm sure I'm not missing out.

Risette

A Good Citizen
Branduil said:
I don't remember all those stupid text graphics last time I watched that scene. Anno must be Lucas-ing it up.
It's been there all along. What do you think Shinbo has been ripping off all these years?

Eden of the East 1

Just checked it out mainly to see how good that funimation subscription service in HD was, which was quite nice and it was dubbed. On the episode itself, I think Im going to stick with the anime, ignoring the girl who seemed to be kind of uninteresting the nonnamed main character may have an interesting past and role. He and his jokes cracked me up, even if it was an awkward first episode
why so naked

Regulus Tera said:
Un-Go 06: This episode... was actually good?

Lies save lives, truth kills families. Humans are still shit.
Ungo was REALLY good this week. Which is funny since its an anime original story.
More android girl being awesome.

That ending though. God damn, that was an awesome ending!

Boku Ha Tomodachi 07

Yukimara and Rika stole the spot light today, that opening skit was awesome.
Yozora and Kodaka gushing over their phones was hilarious, I remember acting the same way when I got my first cellphone!

The cruelty between Sena and Yozora is astounding, guess its because they're foils to eachother. Felt bad for Yozora. :(

zeroshiki

survivor said:
I watched one episode, knew it's gonna be shit and dropped it. Maybe it will get better, but I'm sure I'm not missing out.

slopeslider said:
I keep hearing how Guilty crown has gotten better, but why did you guys watch it to begin with, sounds like it used to be shit

*updates death note*

Jex

Infinite Justice said:
wait a choice is finally made?

MEGATON.
When having a real ending is considered a 'megaton' what does that really say about the previous Macross Frontier finale?

scy

slopeslider said:

Because it seemed intriguing. It hit a certain right amount of notes to me for a show that has interesting potential, even if just as a guilty pleasure kind of thing. The music was also good (dat supercell) and that's overwhelmed by judgement many a time before in the past.

Plus, I'm already watching Horizon so I might as well continue down the AnimeGAF pariah road.

Jexhius said:
When having a real ending is considered a 'megaton' what does that really say about the previous Macross Frontier finale?

Think it says more about endings in general rather than anything specific about Macross Frontier.

Jex

cajunator said:
There is nothing wrong with anime pricing the way it is now.
No, it's very pricey, even if you're not paying insane Japanese prices. I barely buy any shows, even ones that I'm a huge fan of, until they're out with some ridiculous discount.
cajunator said:
Hobbies cost a lot of money. This has always been true. Ever collected 1:18 scale diecast model cars? How about 70-100$ a piece? For a MODEL CAR? I had 30 of those before moving on to collecting anime and movies. Hobbies are not cheap.
I'm sorry, but when anime television series are placed side by side with american television in a retail store you have a choice to pay £30 for 1100 minutes of entertainment or £30 for 528 minutes of entertainment (presuming that I think that both series would give me equal amounts of 'good entertainment') then I appear to be ripped-off by anime prices.

Dresden

bigmakattack said:
Yozakura Quartet ~Hoshi no Umi~ 3 OVA 3

The best part about having read the manga is that I don't need to know Japanese to understand what's going on and can allow myself to observe the awesome animation of this OVA, and this OVA was great in that regard.

Silly and cliched plot development (
A simple phone call makes everything better
) gets made up with 2 really nice fights,
though they do leave out a little funny part with Enjin and Yae, but at least the falling scene at the end was done real well
. They weren't quite as awesome as the Kotoha scene in the 2nd OVA, though.

Overall, 2nd OVA > 3rd > 1st. I give it overall a 8/10 since I like the manga and it was very good faithful adaption even with certain scenes left out that I would've like to see animated.
Holy shit, it's out? Time to stop playing Skyrim.

e: i r disappoint; wtb eng

Dresden

scy said:
lol

I need to do this sometime this weekend before I end up being weeks behind and giving up :(
I'm behind on everything. :( Not that I was watching anything other than Chihaya, Bento and MPD, anyways.
And P4 and Guilty Crown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom