• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
slopeslider said:
I keep hearing how Guilty crown has gotten better, but why did you guys watch it to begin with, sounds like it used to be shit

I liked it from the beginning. The concept of Voids had me instantly hooked.

My Empty Cellphone: Friendship is Magic 7

I think now is an appropriate time to announce the official haremite rankings. Rika>Meat>Imouto>Yukimura>Index>Yozora.

Master Keaton 20

Some badass action on display in this episode. If there's one complaint I have about this show, it's that Keaton doesn't get enough opportunities to show off in that way.

"I am a perfect gentleman, but my hand just couldn't resist your astounding beauty." That's going down as one of the worst pick-up lines I've ever heard.

zeroshiki

cosmicblizzard said:
I liked it from the beginning. The concept of Voids had me instantly hooked.

I think now is an appropriate time to announce the official haremite rankings. Rika>Meat>Imouto>Yukimura>Index>Yozora.

What? Hideyoshi needs to be ranked higher than Imoto.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mawaru-Penguindrum 19: Nanami-san's bovine legacy lives. Truly a legend! ;____;

I really liked the penguin allegories this time around
Penguin 1 trying to support 2, 3 looking at herself just as Himari becomes more introspective
. The comedy makes it a little difficult at times to point out what exactly they are supposed to represent, but it was laid out much less obtusely this time around.

Animation-wise this episode was a bit off, but it was tolerable. The derp faces are nowhere near as bad as the hospital chapter. All in all, the show is still entertaining, especially now that the plot is unfolding layer by layer.

LordCanti

Penguin 19

Not sure how I feel about this one.
Some odd directing at times, with all sense of physical law being thrown out the window for portions, just like last week. I guess we figured that either Mario or Shoma was the kid from the flashbacks, but now we know it's Shoma.
. I take it that
The "child broiler" is a school of sorts, potentially for orphans, and that the Takakura children were offered their pick of the rejects? To what end we obviously don't know yet, but considering that the "survival strategy" involves a naked Himari, I think I can guess. The "magic" they had seems to be from Sanetoshi.
I'm fine with
Shoma being the one Himari apparently loves
because it opens up room for
Kanba
to get with
Ping hat-chan

I'm kind of a little annoyed that
their parents are just...around...in the same clothing from before. Are they trapped in time or something, and only able to influence events through henchmen? It seems like the police would have no problem finding them if there weren't something going on there.
I do love how
Kanba says that he doesn't need parents, yet beams at their approval. More lying in an attempt to make it the truth? Is he really only going to them because it's the only way to get money? If that method is preferable to taking money from the Natsume family, then I'm guessing we haven't heard the last of what the Natsume family did to the Takakura family

Anime is still in "saved" status this week.

Also....
Aaah moooooooo!

Edit: Odds on
Himari
actually
knowing Double-H
at all?

jman2050

Penguins 19

THEN WHO WAS PHONE
KANBA

Animation was off this episode but the episode was still awesome. That ending though... I don't know what to think anymore.

Jex

[Penguin Drum 18]

Gotoh didn't betray us all too badly this week (apart from that, er one scene that was quite awkward) but everything is else was pretty great.

I wasn't wholly surprised by the whole
fake family thing as that's been hinted at for a while, although seeing Shouma in the child broiler was fairly shocking

wonzo

Banned
Penguins 19

Animation aside this episode was pretty damn good. It's refreshing to watch a show where you really can't predict what's gonna happen next.

Considering Kanba's really the only one that looks like his parents, it kinda makes sense that Shouma was the one in the Child Broiler. No less shocking though.

scy

cosmicblizzard said:

As far as harem positions are concerned:
Sena wins, the rest can fight for second.

As far as characters are concerned:
mecha doujin > boobs > AN-CHAN = Bromaid > tsuntsuntsundere > poopynun

Dresden said:
I'm behind on everything. :( Not that I was watching anything other than Chihaya, Bento and MPD, anyways.
And P4 and Guilty Crown.

I was already about a week behind on most things. Then Skyrim so now I'm hitting three weeks. Shit, crisis mode coming up!

Jex

Branduil said:
Do you think the audience for this show actually wants to learn things about the characters?
Well, considering it's made up of character centric episodes, I'd hope so! If by learn you mean "spend some time with".

Jex

duckroll said:
It's your fault for not buying 500-800 dollar series though. If you had bought a few thousand copies of each volume of Michiko, I'm sure they would have made something similar after that! :D
I prefer today's Manglobe. They've got more titty shows.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I'm five episodes away from finishing Steins;Gate and I feel very conflicted as to my impressions of the show. I dig all the hard sci-fi material, but it's very hard for me to detach it from the somewhat sexual idealisation of the female cast. It's jarring with this show because the actual issues underlying these characters are interesting, but the moment everyone turns around and starts trying to get under Kyouma's trousers is done with so little subtlety that I have to wonder whether this visual novel animu is not actually an emasculated eroge adaptation.
Jexhius said:
I prefer today's Manglobe. They've got more titty shows.
Michiko had plenty of titties!

Jex

Ezalc said:
For me there's a certain level of hugeness they can get to before it gets disgusting. Tsunade level is still hot, that Cattleya shit from Queen's Blade is too much.
I'm glad you're got a sliding scale. It's makes things more official.
7Th said:
Japan's view of animation isn't particularly different from USA's view of animation; cartoons are for families, kids and lonely nerds.
Which I guess would be fine if Japan was making really excellent animation for children, but I guess those super-long running shows count.

Although I do believe this whole conversation about success vs creativity vs risk vs cash cows has kid of missed the whole 'international market' for anime angle. I suppose the very limited number of large scale successes overseas makes it a pretty foolish thing to place any kind of faith in when you're making a show.

Branduil

Penguin Drum 19

I expected
to learn that Himari was adopted.

I did not expect
Shouma to be her soulmate.

Inconsistent art as expected from a Gotoh episode. Nice backgrounds though.

Mawaru Penguin Drum 19

As has happened too many times with this show, problematic art and animation got in the way of a strong story and writing. Thankfully it wasn't too bad this time around. A good setup for what I assume will be the final push to the end, with a mind-blowing ending.
As others have said, Himari being not a real Takakura has been widely guessed so isn't terribly surprising, even if I had been a little skeptical about it. But Shouma is a total surprise. Not sure how I could have seen that coming.

Loved the ending song and final still.

Lain

Heidi 49-50

I missed 47 and 48 because I couldn't wake up in time, but watched 49 and 50. Clara whining every time she had to put in an effort was getting a tad grating, because it was completely contrary to what she always kept saying, that she wanted to be able to walk, but episode 50 had a great payoff.

Ben-to 2-3

While watching episode 2 I found myself asking a question I shouldn't ask myself when watching this stuff. "Why are you willingly getting yourself roped into something as ridiculous as a fight for a simple lunch-box?". Sure, the Frozen Witch had some great arguments to convince Sato with, but...
Well, the final fight in episode 2 was cool and episode 3 had some great comedy and Sato discovering
that fighting for your shitty premade lunch-box makes it taste delicious!

Jex

Branduil said:
But they have no problem buying manga, so... the question is, what makes it impossible for anime to be viewed the same way as manga?
Well it's a lot cheaper to make and to sell, I assume.
pizzaroll said:
It's been there all along. What do you think Shinbo has been ripping off all these years?
I thought there was no Shinbo.

Branduil

You know, the ending of episode 9 makes a lot more sense now.

She wakes up from her dream and finds out about Shou having an accident.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Penguindrum 19 was great. I think there actually have been some hints about
Shoma being the 'destined one'. In episode 9 Himari's 'fated person' was wearing blue shoes, and as far back as the first episode I recall people predicting it based on some of the old family photos.

So what the hell happens now?

Thoraxes

LordCanti said:
Penguin 19
Edit: Odds on
Himari
actually
knowing Double-H
at all?
Did you not see/remember the episode with the
flashback
dedicated to that?
They were originally going to file as Triple-H, but then the whole barrette thing happened, and the mirror thing with the mother, and Himari got sick, so she wasn't able to join them. They were schoolmates when they were younger.

Not that it took very long, but I've now caught up the Mirai Nikki manga with the anime. Now I'm not sure if I want to keep going, because of how good the anime has been.

iavi

Would anyone happen to know if the Bokutomo anime has passed what's available of the manga? I haven't been keeping up. The last translated chapter dealt with Meat & Tsuntsun scamming the the scamming karoke bar.

Thoraxes

Penguindrum 19

Besides my I love this show and anime is saved! comment, here's some of my thoughts:

I always thought that Kanba was going to be the only actual Takakura, and honestly, I thought it was a stretch they could be brothers, but I believed it at least, because at least with Sho, it at least seemed possible. Big point now I think, is what exactly is the Child Boiler (some kind of orphaning thing, but how?), who runs it, and how do people get there. I was definitely shocked at Shouma being in there though. That definitely surprised me. Though yet again, he was holding the apple with the penguin symbol on it, so i'm curious as to how he even got it. I was trying to figure out if Shouma was either placed in there, or pulled kind of a Momoka, but I realized that Momoka busted in there, and Shouma was just there.

I also wonder what exactly the Apple does to their fate? It binds them, sure, but in what ways? It'll be revealed at the end of course. Also, can Momoka's diary change fate already changed by the apple? Additionally, where did she get such a powerful object?

Sanetoshi finally revealed a little of his direction and that he wants the journal gone, but can not destroy it himself. Additionally, I finally paid notice to the amount of dots on the globe in his office (as I believe it's the only OP/ED special item that has yet to be explained), and there's 3 dots on it, so i'm guessing one for each child. The significance of it has yet to be explained though. Additionally, I wonder what the right track of fate is, and why the three of them have to follow it. I'm also curious as to why the other two are being punished if they're adopted AND both parents are alive. If they can't carry out the punishment to the parents, even though they're alive, I wonder what's stopping them from being hunted out to have it delivered.

Also thanks to this episode, I finally know why (in the OP) Kanba was running in a different direction than Shouma and Himari. I always thought it was because of his shady activity with the organization with his parents, and getting on the train of fate and all, but yeah, now it's definitely all spelled out.

zeroshiki

Miri said:
Would anyone happen to know if the Bokutomo anime has passed what's available of the manga? I haven't been keeping up. The last translated chapter dealt with Meat & Tsuntsun scamming the the scamming karoke bar.

That was the previous episode.

Branduil said:
Penguin Drum 19

I expected
to learn that Himari was adopted.

I did not expect
Shouma to be her soulmate.

Inconsistent art as expected from a Gotoh episode. Nice backgrounds though.

well it go with her feeling that
she dont belong there anymore,
a bit of a dark horse now what other thing had he be doing.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Thoraxes said:
Penguindrum 19
Additionally, I finally paid notice to the amount of dots on the globe in his office (as I believe it's the only OP/ED special item that has yet to be explained), and there's 3 dots on it, so i'm guessing one for each child.
There are actually four. I'm thinking the Takakura siblings + Ringo.

Thoraxes

Fuck now I just thought of more things and shit with Penguindrum speculation.

So what if Masako is actually Kanba's blood-sister, which would make Kanba's Kenzan the neglected son of the Natsume family, deemed to weak to continue the business, who for some reason took Kanba with him? Mario I think at this point is a red herring of sorts, and definitely was for the fated one, but his significance has yet to be shown (though i'm staring to think he was Himari's actual real sibling).

It would also make sense as to why Himari is the reason he can't return, not just the fact that he has feelings for her, and that the feelings could also be a double-standard in this case, because also Masasko can't have her brother back if Himari is there being his sister, and that she just wants her brother back. She only said she wanted to come back to get his love, but only said the word itself, and not with any meaning as to what kind.
Krev said:
There are actually four. I'm thinking the Takakura siblings + Ringo.
Ah yes, there are four, but i'm thinking it's more what Branduil said. Also, i'm starting to not think it's Ringo because I think
she's going to be the reincarnation of Momoka in some form (plenty of hints anyways). And that her name is going to be of significance and she wil be the flue to hold it all together, Ringo = Apple = Fate device, etc.
Branduil said:
Four penguins.
I'm thinking more of this because of the reasons I listed above. The only thing not explained is how
Shouma and Himari came into all of this with the Takakuras.

Branduil

Thoraxes said:

So what if Masako is actually Kanba's blood-sister, which would make Kanba's Kenzan the neglected son of the Natsume family, deemed to weak to continue the business, who for some reason took Kanba with him? Mario I think at this point is a red herring of sorts, and definitely was for the fated one, but his significance has yet to be shown (though i'm staring to think he was Himari's actual real sibling).

It would also make sense as to why Himari is the reason he can't return, not just the fact that he has feelings for her, and that the feelings could also be a double-standard in this case, because also Masasko can't have her brother back if Himari is there being his sister, and that she just wants her brother back. She only said she wanted to come back to get his love, but only said the word itself, and not with any meaning as to what kind.
Other than kissing him on the lips.

Thoraxes

Branduil said:
Other than kissing him on the lips.
Could be both. What if actually it was Kanba that didn't like that, and it was Masako that wanted to? It'd be some crazy paradigm shift. We were fooled into thinking Kanba was something that he himself wanted to be no part of.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
Branduil said:
Four penguins.
z8O4S.jpg

Thoraxes said:

Ah yes, there are four, but i'm thinking it's more what Branduil said. Also, i'm starting to not think it's Ringo because I think
she's going to be the reincarnation of Momoka in some form (plenty of hints anyways). And that her name is going to be of significance and she wil be the flue to hold it all together, Ringo = Apple = Fate device, etc.

I'm thinking more of this because of the reasons I listed above. The only thing not explained is how
Shouma and Himari came into all of this with the Takakuras.
Well, her father did look suspiciously like Kanba.

Articalys

The Idolmaster 20

UtQBl.jpg

Still hate the fact that they made the controversy into Kuroi's fault, but at least that's leading to a breakdown between him and Jupiter.

Thoraxes

Krev said:
z8O4S.jpg

Well, her father did look suspiciously like Kanba.
And also gave them each a
protect your younger siblings speech/teaching, of which they both follow.

Also I just want to make my crazy prediction now and say that
Sanetoshi is going to be the one who runs the child boiler and that the medicine Himari was given is valuable because it was made out of all those that the child boiler made disappeared. It won't be specified if it was their souls, fates, or bodies though.

Sket Dance 33

Never understood why someone would be embarrassed about previously being fat. Wouldn't having the will power and discipline to actually lose weight make people respect you more?

Steroyd

Penguindrum - 19

WHOOOOOOOOA whoa whoa whoa, wait a minute, hold the phone, STOP. It's hammer time!!

Obligatory comment on the animation: The Gotoh Strikes Back.

WHOOOOOAAAA!

weeaboo

Penguins 19

derpfaces aside, holy shit this is awesome
Shouma in the child broiler totally shocked me

Also I have 3 Guilty Crown episodes backlogged, It's still stupid?

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Penguin drum 19 - Aside from that awkward direction, poor artwork in places (why did himari look like a doll?!) this was a pretty damn good episode, I think the writing and overall script was so good, that there was no-way someone like gotoh could screw it up!

Idolm@ster 19 - Felt like a fairly typical IDORU episode with some silly moments, some serious shit etc, but it focused on a awesome character, so it was enjoyable at least!

Idolm@ster 20 - I cried.;_; the climax of the episode was SO AMAZING tears were shed.;_;

mAcOdIn

A Black Falcon said:
Just because you can come up with a somewhat decent explanation for why it happened doesn't mean it's not sexist, you know... it is.
What?? So your argument is "you have a good point but you know it's not true despite me offering no counterpoint?"
A Black Falcon said:
You might be right that part of it is because of her wanting to train him, etc, but come on, "the MC guy finishes fights" is the way things are done in this genre, because you couldn't have a female character doing that... and I also just can't ee the male MC ending up with the honor seal bento even though Sen fought the best as anything else than based on sexism, whether or not it can be explained. Your explanation is decent, but that's the reason behind it I'm sure.
Why are you so sure?
A Black Falcon said:
Also, while the fact that Yarizui did most of the fighting, and was the one who won the fight almost on her own, is important, that he was given the last hit definitely has symbolic value. It's not meaningless. I do agree that letting him and Shaga help out in the fight made sense, though, I'm not complaining about that part. But overall, of course that's how the genre is (sexist because of where it comes from and the audience it is for), but that doesn't mean I just accept it.
Of course the MC getting the final hit has symbolic implications but again I think they're positive. Before the MC gave his spiel over why he was there after she questioned him on what he was doing there her demeanor changed completely. You could decide to attribute it to "she's so happy the knight came to save the damsel in distress" or you could decide that she was happy because he made a decision on his own and followed through with it and better yet he followed her advice. As cheesy as it is she's not just training him to be a wolf but a man as well, and perhaps the concept of being a man is sexist from the start but then if that's so why not just call everything sexist?
A Black Falcon said:
Yeah, Wizard taught her to be a wolf. That story's the one the manga covers (she starts out not knowing how to fight at all pretty much). As for the MC replacing her, though... perhaps, but that'd require a Sen-MC pairing not to be the final one, which could well happen gven that she's pretty much the main girl. It isn't definite, sure, but likely? Yeah, I think so.
What? No, it doesn't. None of the things I mentioned, her leaving, Sato succeeding her or them being a couple are necessarily mutually exclusive. First off I should remind you of their position and setting, they're in high school. Yarizui leaving is not conjecture it's an inevitability. Oh sure I suppose she could fail a grade and get held back, if that can happen in Japan, or he could graduate early as some kind of genius and they can graduate together but all things considered it's almost 100% certain that she is going to leave a year ahead of him. Whether she still hunts for ben-to or not is irrelevant because she will no longer live in the school dorms, no longer have that store as her stomping grounds and will either be off working or going to college. So yeah, whether the story gets that far or not she's leaving. Then you have him succeeding her, either that happens formally as she hands over the reigns of the club over to him so he can be in charge when he's a second year so she's free to study in her third year, whether she stays on her final year and he takes over when she graduates formally or she just leaves and everyone just calls him her successor because she's gone and he's still there, it's pretty much a certainty that, with Yarizui gone and if he continues hunting for half priced meals that he will be her successor. Notice how time flows here? Life doesn't just stop at some point, all these kids are in a transitional point in their lives, to say that any point in their life at 15 or whatever is "the end" is fucking silly. Now the show will probably decide to end with them both still in school, time is just moving too slowly for them to all of a sudden hit you with finals and shit and there to be the "real ending" this season, I'm talking about the story's end and logical conclusion not the anime's. And lastly you have the pairing, why the hell does them hooking up mean he can't succeed her? I don't understand this logic. You want a shitty Oshiroi style quick and dirty scenario that fulfills all three suggestions I made previously?

Yarizui steps down shortly before graduation to study for graduation officially leaving things to Sato. They don't even need to fight for him to succeed her you know. Spend some time with Sato, Oshiroi and crew as 3rd years waxing poetic over their time with Yarizui , sprinkle it with some dabs of hijinks and melancholy end it on a high note with everyone agreeing they treasured their time together and those experiences made them the people they are, yadda, yadda, yadda, you know, the usual shit at this point. Show them all graduating, someone asks Sato what he's doing next, he's got some school picked out, scene change, brief intro of life on his new campus, scene change, he's hungry and checks out a local shop and sees some Ben-to's about to be marked down, runs to grab one when out of the blue at the last second he blocks a kick to his face(hey, he's gotten better by now right?), shock and awe, it's Yarizui and he's stumbled on her new hunting ground, or maybe she's not really hunting but that's how she says "hi," they become a pair and stand up to even stronger wolves in college together. See? Easy anime level story right there. I'm not saying it's going to happen I'm just saying them ending up together in now way hinges on whether he takes her title in High School or not as they're not going to up and die after graduation.

Of course she might just leave and the story ends with the waxing poetic over how she changed his life or some shit.

Also, she's training them to succeed her because of where and when they are. I mean, what kind of bitch is going to train someone to fall apart the second they leave them during graduation? That's some fucked up shit man, why you gotta be such an ass and think Yarizui would do something like that? I mean, either she's training him to stand on his own two feet when she's gone OR she wants a pet, all signs point to the previous. And again, there are numerous scenes in the show that deal with the current cast's influential one's departing them or leaving them behind, it's rather blatant really.

Also, it'd make just as much sense for the show to end with Sato picking out someone to train and reminiscing about his mentor.
A Black Falcon said:
You are right, though, that the setting isn't entirely sexist; there are a bunch of strong female fighters in the series, as well as male ones, which is good. Fighter-girl harems in harem action shows aren't rare these days, but still, the fights and action clearly show that the female characters can be just as good as the male ones, for the most part, which is good to see.
It's not even the setting that's remotely sexist it's the presentation, the presentation is beyond sexist, male gaze EVERYWHERE, at all times, the OP puts them in bathing suits for no reason but I'm not convinced wrapping up something not sexist in a sexist male oriented bow makes it sexist.

A Black Falcon said:
Heh... it was a little annoying that they didn't show either of the other fights, but the main one took up a lot of the episode, where would they fit it in? Maybe they could have cut the earlier parts of the episode to make room, but the episode does work as it is, I think.
I don't care, make the episode longer damnit, this shit airs late enough.
A Black Falcon said:
A theme of the show? I guess so, but but that might be overstating it... it's just something which has happened repeatedly and without explanation. Your reasoning there could be it, I'm not sure. That's not quite as Wolflike as fighting for it is, but it's a start for sure, and she's good at it too, clearly (hence why I said she was actually a ninja or something :p).
True, she's more like a hyena or some scavenger.
A Black Falcon said:
Her novel's fine, just for a certain audience obviously (not us, but that's the joke). The little clips we hear are stupidly amusing. :)
I guess, different things for different people.
icarus-daedelus said:
I think you're a cool guy, mac! For your hatred of Tessa, love of Spoor, and stern determination to watch every shitty GONZO show you can unti they kill you, I look up to you and salute.
Thanks, I like you too! But you really highlighted how bad my reputation is, you got the two important things right, those being my immense hatred of Tessa and my love of Spoor but somehow now I watch every Gonzo show! This is a fabrication! I wanted to stop with Glass Fleet but no, then others started watching it and bullied me into it, I did stop with Last Exile though. I might be late but I eventually come through on my goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom