• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

cajunator

Banned
Woot. I come home and there is more Idolmaster (now that Takane and Chihaya are more in the picture) and Penguin Drum to squee over.
Work wasnt too bad either. Still no Zelda SS yet. 2 more fuckin days.

/XX/

Defuser said:
Penguin Drum ep 19
Shiiiieet!!! Mind blown,what a damn twist! Fuuuuck this is getting good. It's really mind blowing.
Man, I haven't seen the episode yet and I'm already waiting for your updated MAWARU-GAIJINDRUM strip.

7Th

Un-Go isn't even over and Mizushima already has a new show lined up: Sunrise's "Natsuiro Kiseki", which sounds like glorified advertisement for Sphere.

r2vCS.jpg

Cast
Takagaki Ayahi to voice Saki
Kotobuki Minako to voice Natsumi
Tomatsu Haruka to voice Yuka
Toyosaki Aki to voice Rinko

Staff
Directed by Seiji Mizushima (Hanamaru Kindergarden, Gundam 00, Un-Go)
Assistant Director: Kimura Ryuichi (Hanamaru Kindergarden)
Series Composition/Script: Tatsuhiko Urahata (Ichigo 100%, Saki, A-Channel)
Character Designs: Hidari (Fractale)
Animation Character Designs: Yuichi Tanaka (Raildex series)
Animation Production: Sunrise

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-5321.html

/XX/

This episode has leave a so much better impression than the previous one handled by Mr. Gotoh, this should serve to cut some slack on him. For me it wasn't an exemplar work either, but decent enough to enclose the plot events.

One thing to note, and I didn't thought much about it but seems it was more evident this episode, was the succession of those lovely music pieces based on piano re-arrangements. I didn't realize how well those go along, connect thematically, with that new interpretations of ARB songs. Lovely accompaniment.

One thing that now I want to know for sure is if Kanba is aware of the situation Shōma and Himari had to endure. He has always acted as a big brother, but the way he entrusted himself so heavily with the task of looking after them, how he has tried to avoid their concerns carrying on his shoulders all the responsibility, makes me think he knows what really happened and tries to compensate it, relieve their pain.

I'll probably relate this to how, at the end of episode 13, he was the one to react so angrily, in denial, when it was revealed their parents implication on the terrorist incident.

Defuser

Mawaru GaijinDrum ep 19
http://i.imgur.com/393lN.jpg

Edit:
Sadly due to my job and other things to do,I'm getting more sloppy and less creative in making Gaijindrum. I don't have the much time anymore to think on how to make this but I still try to do it.

7Th said:
Un-Go isn't even over and Mizushima already has a new show lined up: Sunrise's "Natsuiro Kiseki", which sounds like glorified advertisement for Sphere.

Cast
Takagaki Ayahi to voice Saki
Kotobuki Minako to voice Natsumi
Tomatsu Haruka to voice Yuka
Toyosaki Aki to voice Rinko

Staff
Directed by Seiji Mizushima (Hanamaru Kindergarden, Gundam 00, Un-Go)
Assistant Director: Kimura Ryuichi (Hanamaru Kindergarden)
Series Composition/Script: Tatsuhiko Urahata (Ichigo 100%, Saki, A-Channel)
Character Designs: Hidari (Fractale)
Animation Character Designs: Yuichi Tanaka (Raildex series)
Animation Production: Sunrise

http://yaraon.blog109.fc2.com/blog-entry-5321.html
Well I'll be damn it is!! Probably be getting a sphere OP/ED too.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
RurouniZel said:
I'd like to think so, but I'll take what this episode gave me. :D
Yeah. You know, since the show was some kind of all star staff whore type show though, they should have tried to finagle SatoJun to direct the episode. It felt like it should have been right up his alley, given the subject matter.

/XX/

Powerful... you know clearly where it was going, but resistance is futile with closing scenes like the ones shown.

firehawk12 said:
Yeah. You know, since the show was some kind of all star staff whore type show though, they should have tried to finagle SatoJun to direct the episode. It felt like it should have been right up his alley, given the subject matter.
Ahhh! My brain couldn't possibly resist a more blatant emotional manipulation... how can you?

Erigu

[Mawaru-Penguindrum]
LordCanti said:
I'm kind of a little annoyed that
their parents are just...around...in the same clothing from before. Are they trapped in time or something, and only able to influence events through henchmen? It seems like the police would have no problem finding them if there weren't something going on there.
Also,
no scar on mommy's face
(... and she still sounds 17 years old, but that's probably another issue altogether)

Thoraxes said:
So what if Masako is actually Kanba's blood-sister, which would make Kanba's Kenzan the neglected son of the Natsume family, deemed to weak to continue the business, who for some reason took Kanba with him?
Different voice actor.

Lain

Ben-to 6

I don't know what is more stupid, the pride of the wolf bullshit, or the idea that a
retired wolf should have cleaned up her own mess before retiring...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
You do know who you're talking to, right?
Which is more mono no aware - dead father or dead little brother?

Lain said:
Ben-to 6

I don't know what is more stupid, the pride of the wolf bullshit, or the idea that a
retired wolf should have cleaned up her own mess before retiring...
A gangster wolf can never truly retire from the game.

sonicmj1

Guilty Crown 6

I don't know why I still bother with this show. Duckroll was right.

The writing for
Gai's confession scene with Shu
was borderline incoherent. I have no idea why anyone was doing any of the things they chose to do at any point in that scene. In fact, I have no idea why anything in this show happens. Code Geass had a strong protagonist to build around, but this show's structured around an unsympathetic nothing of a character. He doesn't really do anything; things just occur around him. I can't hold interest.

Now that they're bringing up even more stupid mystical-sounding bullshit, I'm really tempted to tap out. There are plenty of better options every week. Ayase and supercell can't save this show.

I know this may be a bit OT but this is literally driving me insane and I have no one to turn to. Help me GAF PLEASE!

This video @ 2:30 and 2:50 two different animes are shown. People even ask in the video yet no one answers!

Do you guys have any idea what these two animes are?!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Solune said:
little brother mourning the loss of dead father and shoulders the blame
Sister watches little brother die as he was on his way to the shrine to pay his respects to the dead father.

Foxy Fox 39 said:
I know this may be a bit OT but this is literally driving me insane and I have no one to turn to. Help me GAF PLEASE!

two different animes are shown. People even ask in the video yet no one answers!

Can't help you, but that's a neat video. I just assumed that most people in the American industry don't watch anime.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Persona 4: The Cartoon 07: This is nowhere near as tactfully done as the game. GayGAF would have a field trip with this. You cannot expect to compress Kanji's arc in just two episodes without losing a lot of the subtlety. The comedy was funny, but it only helped heighten the parody feeling of this episode. Kanji's character becomes stunted and his development forced because of this.

P.S. I need a gif of Chie and Yukiko's glistening bodies on the floor.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Regulus Tera said:
Persona 4: The Cartoon 07: This is nowhere near as tactfully done as the game. GayGAF would have a field trip with this. You cannot expect to compress Kanji's arc in just two episodes without losing a lot of the subtlety. The comedy was funny, but it only helped heighten the parody feeling of this episode. Kanji's character becomes stunted and his development force because of this.

P.S. I need a gif of Chie and Yukiko's glistening bodies on the floor.
Between this and Sekai Ichi, all that really needs to be said is - "Japan".

LordCanti

(Penguin 19)

Thoraxes said:
Did you not see/remember the episode with the
flashback
dedicated to that?
They were originally going to file as Triple-H, but then the whole barrette thing happened, and the mirror thing with the mother, and Himari got sick, so she wasn't able to join them. They were schoolmates when they were younger.

I did. Who's to say that they aren't
false memories?

Anything could happen.

At this point, I'm wondering why Sanetoshi doesn't just
tell people they need to burn the diary to save their families
if that is what it takes for
him to beat Momoka.

I know the one episode said the mother had
twins
so now I'm wondering
who the other Takakura family member is.
It could be
Mario, since Jury-senpai always refers to him as "Mario-san". Maybe the Natsume family needed a male heir, and decided that they'd get one from the Takakura family?

firehawk12 said:
Sister watches little brother die as he was on his way to the shrine to pay his respects to the dead father.

Can't help you, but that's a neat video. I just assumed that most people in the American industry don't watch anime.
:(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Foxy Fox 39 said:
There are a lot of anime nerds here though. I'm sure one of the super catalogue nerds will have an answer for ya. He does name drop Studio 4c anyway, so I presume it's something they did?

duckroll

Idolmaster Episode 19

Kinda meh on the ep. Not a big Takane fan, the entire "mysterious woman" vibe isn't really appealing to me. The entire tabloid storyline is lulz, especially with all the EVIL RIVAL scenes which are so over the top that it can't be taken seriously. Even the music in those scenes are made of lulz. Oh well, at least it's out of the way now.

Onemic

Not current at all, but just chiming in here to say that I finally finished watching FLCL and its fucking great. That is all.

7Th

Foxy Fox 39 said:

This video @ 2:30 and 2:50 two different animes are shown. People even ask in the video yet no one answers!

Sorry for the late reply. They're both from Shanghai Dragon, a short film directed by Shoji Kawamori for the first Genuis Party compilation.

NewFresh

7Th said:
Sorry for the late reply. They're both from Shanghai Dragon, a short film directed by Shoji Kawamori for the first Genuis Party compilation.
You've probably just quelled months of built up rage and insanity.

7Th

EmmanuelMunoz said:
You've probably just quelled months of built up rage and insanity.

I think someone actually asked the same thing a few months ago yet I forgot to reply to the question; I'm not sure if it's the same guy, though.

duckroll

Idolmaster Ep20

I really don't understand Chihaya. There's something pretty illogical about the entire build up to this climax in the series. It just doesn't make sense to me why any of that should really affect her the way it is right now. The episode was well directed though, but ultimately the only thing that really "sells" this entire episode is Chihaya's singing voice. It's pretty damn good. Otherwise, I feel this is a good but otherwise not particularly outstanding episode. Idolmaster scripts always feel kinda lacking to me, and what makes the series work are the more energetic episodes which don't rely as much on the narrative writing.

Jex

Lafiel said:
Penguin drum 19 - Aside from that awkward direction, poor artwork in places (why did himari look like a doll?!) this was a pretty damn good episode, I think the writing and overall script was so good, that there was no-way someone like gotoh could screw it up!
When did you become Zelda? When did Aigis become pizzaroll? What the heck is going on?

Onemic

Foxy Fox 39 said:

Anyone have any clue as to how the Cannon busters comic is? From the pictures provided it seems like a nice merging of manga and western style comics.

Jex

Erigu said:
[Mawaru-Penguindrum]

When was that?
It didn't. Rather, it said the opposite.
firehawk12 said:
Which is more mono no aware - dead father or dead little brother?
I don't really think there's a scale for that. It's just kind of there or it isn't.
duckroll said:
Idolmaster Ep20[...]Otherwise, I feel this is a good but otherwise not particularly outstanding episode. Idolmaster scripts always feel kinda lacking to me, and what makes the series work are the more energetic episodes which don't rely as much on the narrative writing.
Judged against the other members in this thread you appear to be heartless monster. Is that true?
onemic said:
Not current at all, but just chiming in here to say that I finally finished watching FLCL and its fucking great. That is all.
Well, you got there in the end!

7Th

duckroll said:
Idolmaster Ep20

I really don't understand Chihaya. There's something pretty illogical about the entire build up to this climax in the series. It just doesn't make sense to me why any of that should really affect her the way it is right now.

I think it's pretty straightforward:

Before the show: Chihaya's little brother died; her parents fought all day long. She took becoming a recognized singer as some sort of atonement and closed herself to the world. She didn't think of anything but becoming a pro.
Episodes 1-13: Chihaya tries her hardest to become a recognized singer with single-minded determination.
Episodes 14-18: Chihaya is already a recognized singer, but she realizes that the she is still feeling empty when she thinks of Yuu; she refuses to share her past with her friends.
Episode 19-20: Even if she knows it is "false", being blamed for the death of her brother, something she tried to forget, comes off as a huge shock. She thinks that her friends will begin hating her. She realizes that singing for Yuu wasn't going to accomplish anything and begins thinking that everything she has done so far has been pointless. All the memories of Yuu's death come back whenever she tries to sing, songs are her "connection to Yuu", so she loses her singing voice.
Episode 20 climax: Thanks to Haruka's encouragement, Chihaya realizes that singing for Yuu's sake was wrong and that she should sing for herself. Since singing is no longer tied to Yuu's death in her mind, she no longer has problems singing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom