• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

I'm not saying I don't understand the story. I'm saying I don't understand how a human being who is supposed to be depicted in a reasonably realistic way would act like that. It's just too drastic and unnatural for me to buy into any of it. Seems like bad drama writing. Therefore I am unable to relate with the premise the show is trying to make dramatic.

Onemic

Jexhius said:
Well, you got there in the end!

The story is the most obtuse thing I've ever watched, but the animation style and music are pretty much the best I've ever seen in animation period. And the story is pretty funny too. Its the first anime other than berserk where I actually really dig the english voice acting. All the main characters are voiced pretty damn well and stay true to the source material, except for the extras.

mpc-hc2011-11-1821-15h2beq.jpg

okay, I need the model kit of the Girl Labor

7Th said:
I think someone actually asked the same thing a few months ago yet I forgot to reply to the question; I'm not sure if it's the same guy, though.
OH MY GAWD THANK YOU! I was going to watch the Genuis Party compilation but decided against it lol.

:(

I did ask a while ago, as did others. ANd yes. I've been extremely frustrated over this

:D

Jex

Idolm@ster 20

I don't think the shows writing can really match the tone and mode they're going for here. It sadly does not work for me.

idol20op.jpg

Even dropping in 'serious business' title cards isn't the solution. There isn't a shortcut for engaging writing.
PdotMichael said:
[IMGhttp://www.abload.de/img/mpc-hc2011-11-1821-15h2beq.jp/IMG]

okay, I need the model kit of the Girl Labor
Man, that's some nice background art.

Steroyd

duckroll said:
I'm not saying I don't understand the story. I'm saying I don't understand how a human being who is supposed to be depicted in a reasonably realistic way would act like that. It's just too drastic and unnatural for me to buy into any of it. Seems like bad drama writing. Therefore I am unable to relate with the premise the show is trying to make dramatic.

Psychological stress took away something that she cherised the most, granted the catalyst to create the situation was a bit of a stretch, but I thought Chihaya didn't act too artificially given the situation.

I'd probably walk outside in a daze for a while if the internet was suddenly taken away from me.

sonicmj1

onemic said:
The story is the most obtuse thing I've ever watched, but the animation style and music are pretty much the best I've ever seen in animation period. And the story is pretty funny too. Its the first anime other than berserk where I actually really dig the english voice acting. All the main characters are voiced pretty damn well and stay true to the source material, except for the extras.

If you care about the story at all (and really, the details of the plot are less important than the growth of the characters), it makes more sense on a second watch, and the rich animation means you'll catch little details and jokes that might have blown past you the first time around. No matter how many times I've gone back to it, it always makes me smile.

Great dub, too.

Honestly, FLCL is still the anime I love the most, and I can't imagine that ever changing. I haven't found anything else with that level of quality that's willing to be so unabashedly chaotic.

Instro

duckroll said:
Idolmaster Episode 19

Kinda meh on the ep. Not a big Takane fan, the entire "mysterious woman" vibe isn't really appealing to me. The entire tabloid storyline is lulz, especially with all the EVIL RIVAL scenes which are so over the top that it can't be taken seriously. Even the music in those scenes are made of lulz. Oh well, at least it's out of the way now.
Is it supposed to be taken seriously? Never really seemed that way to me.

sonicmj1

Instro said:

The EVIL BOSS is called Kuroi, and he spends his time in his opulent black office making shapes on a Go board with black tiles.

It's about as serious as Ben-to.

duckroll

Instro said:

It doesn't matter what the intention is. It's neither cool, nor funny, nor dramatic. It just comes off as stupid and trying too hard. It doesn't really match the tone of the normal show either. It's just lazy and dumb.

Neo C.

duckroll said:
I'm not saying I don't understand the story. I'm saying I don't understand how a human being who is supposed to be depicted in a reasonably realistic way would act like that. It's just too drastic and unnatural for me to buy into any of it.
If I would take RL as comparison, I would say it's way easier to understand Chihaya's reaction than the majority of people around me. :p

RL is constant smh.

Regulus Tera said:
Persona 4: The Cartoon 07:
P.S. I need a gif of Chie and Yukiko's glistening bodies on the floor.

I thought the scene came out awkward or odd, I guess since it was so unexpected and other fanservicey anime would have made it more polished, I couldnt help but chuckle.

7Th

duckroll said:

I found it perfectly believable because it was reasonably foreshadowed. I find it hard to find something that was hinted at since episode one drastic or unnatural.
You could easily feel Chihaya's fragility from her introduction in the very first episode.

Persona 4 7

Hah, MC is so funny in this.

"Narukami, did you bring a camera?"
"Shit, I didn't!"

And... did he just get
an endgame Persona from fusion? That's so cheap!

Also, I loled when Reach Out to the Truth started up and then stopped after Yosuke and MC were annoyed by Shadow Kanji.

7Th

Mod abuse: This post has spoilers for The Prestige, and is poorly marked.

Drastic and unbelievable, bad drama writing would have been something like
Chihaya paying Nicola Tesla so that he would create a machine that would return her her voice but then the machine created a perfect clone of her that has her voice and proceeds to kill her before every performance.

Jex

Mod abuse: This post has spoilers for The Prestige, and is poorly marked.

Drastic and unbelievable, bad drama writing would have been something like
Chihaya paying Nicola Tesla so that he would create a machine that would return her her voice but then the machine created a perfect clone of her that has her voice and proceeds to kill her before every performance.
Someone sounds a little bitter. Maybe you should just relax with the Nolan collection.

Sekaiichi Hatsukoi 2 episode 7
tumblr_luvfo1hUd01qktlzuo1_500.gif

Im so glad that Ritsu fiance plot is coming to a close. I thought it was a good episode, as usual, I guess Im just a fan of Ritsu and Takano and the way Takano forced himself swiftly into Ritsus house, ah.

zeroshiki

All my friends (don't) have cellphones - 07

Once again, Sena proves her superiority over the harem.

I gotta admit though, them being so perplexed about phones was funny. It got old at the end however.

Lain

Wait did you think the show wanted you to take it seriously?
Do I have to think the show wanted me to take it seriously, to start finding that the level of stupid of the show stops being fun/funny and begins being offensive in certain parts of its episodes?
The Monarch business was grating to me. Lots of idiocy that wasn't all that fun.
The things retired wolf said before the fight started, as she left, were stupid and not fun for me.
That's the kind of stuff that ruins my enjoyment of a show based around a silly premise and a cast of idiots doing senseless activities and what makes a fun kind of idiocy become an offensive kind of idiocy.

Ezalc

I thought the downtime would happen way later at night. I was pretty surprised when I couldn't access GAF at 9 p.m. here. I spent that time doing useful things though like masturbating and taking a break from masturbating just so I could do it some more later.

cajunator

Banned
I just....worked. 12 hour shift. Began at 6 pm. ended at 6 AM. Got home for 6:30. Got some food and hopped on here around 7 am. Not much downtime at all!

NewFresh

IT LIVESSS

I could have got some animu watched during the downtime or something. But I didn't.

I am disappointed in the both of us.

I thought the downtime would happen way later at night. I was pretty surprised when I couldn't access GAF at 9 p.m. here. I spent that time doing useful things though like masturbating and taking a break from masturbating just so I could do it some more later.

I'm just trying out multiquote....it's pretty cool. Keep up the good work though.

cajunator

Banned
I am disappointed in the both of us.

I'm just trying out multiquote....it's pretty cool. Keep up the good work though.

Holy shit this multi quote feature is USEFULLLLLLLLL

AND SO IS THE IN PAGE EDIT. HNNNNNGH.
NEOGAF IS MOE.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Speaking of Working'!! 07:

This was some dangerous levels of
netorare
going on up in here.
Yamada's brother
is pretty awesome but not in the same league as Yamada. Katanashi getting all jelly is adorable. Great episode which has been par for the course for this series, next week looks to be a fun episode, Yamada was in the preview so it better be a Yamada heavy episode!

Master Keaton 26

Some continuity issues with people magically jumping from inside the building to outside, but otherwise a good episode dealing with the post-Cold War malaise of East Germany as well as one man's journey to stop blaming himself for being a small part of the old system.

Holy shit this multi quote feature is USEFULLLLLLLLL

AND SO IS THE IN PAGE EDIT. HNNNNNGH.
NEOGAF IS MOE.

I was going to ask how an board can ever be considered moe, then I realized that this was the anime thread where it's only a short leap of logic away from moe cockroaches and squids.

cajunator

Banned
This aint no image board son. However, there do appear to be a substantial amount of images contained in it. I reckon it is an almost image board.

Patlabor TV - 10 & 11

11tvny83i.gif

The Schaft arc was pretty awesome, nice Labor action and the Kanuka/Grandmother background story was well implemented.

just 36 episodes, 16 OVA episodes and two movies for me :/

duckroll

Fate/Zero Ep8

I'm so glad the human battles are just as exciting and entertaining to watch as the Servant fights. Some great action animation too. One thing that's pretty noticeable in the episode is the inconsistency in character art in the Kiritsugu/Kayneth scenes. It was probably the animation director for ep6 and ep7 handling that segment, since it looked pretty similar to the parts of those episodes when character faces looked "off". Overall I felt this was a really good climax to the current arc. It also revealed certain specifics about the capabilities of the various characters, which should have consequences in the next set of confrontations.

An interesting note in the credits... there's something I have never seen before there. In addition to a storyboard credit, this episode also has a credit for "storyboard clean-up" credited to three people. Considering how storyboards tend to be rough art anyway, I wonder why they would need additional people to actually clean up the storyboards. Anyone have any idea about this?

I hope we get a few "slow" episodes of the series after this. It definitely feels like it needs some down time from the action after the events of this episode. I want more dudes sitting around talking to each other in the next few eps! Plz ufotable! ^_^

Reknoc

Fate/Zero - 8

A rather fun action packed episode. The fight between the two masters was really good, I guess there's just something enjoyable about a dude using guns against wizards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom