• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeppelin

So, like, 5 centimetres per second? Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxKn5AwOTis

I mean, it's not as good as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time, but it seems to fulfil your specific criteria. I can imagine a number of other things that fit roughly along those lines visually, but they encompass a wide variety of genres.

Maybe you could explain what you liked about TGWLTT and then I could give you some more specific recommendations.

I've had my eyes on 5 Centimeters per Second for some time so I guess I'll have to check that one out then!

I know I'm a bit vague but what I like is pretty vague to myself. My relationship with anime is very much a love/hate one. There's so much stuff out there that's great in terms of setting and art direction and basic story build up but where I feel everything just falls apart as soon as a character opens its little mouth.

Tokyo Godfathers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Q6mcx2qF4Q
Summer Days with Coo it's as "realistic" as TokiKake: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMaa1FNbTFo
Mai Mai Miracle isn't really set in the present day, but it is a realistically styled movie with great animation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS-l73ZJtpg

I've had my eyes on Tokyo Godfathers too for quite some time but I feel I need the right mood for that one. But I'll definitely come around to it! Never heard of the other two. I'll make sure to check them out.

Thanks guys!

Lain

Lupin III: Sweet Lost Night

Now this is the more the kind of Lupin movie I like to watch, with lots of action, Lupin being awesome, a beautiful lady he wants to help etc etc.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ben-to 07: If you were waiting for a fan service episode of this show, today is your lucky day. Oshiroi's yaoi-power is as amazing as ever. Although this episode is not entirely fanservice. We do learn the origin of the Yarizui and Shaga's nicknames, and there is still fighting over Ben-to. And it's still epic, only now in a brand new way! ^^ The way it ends is funny as hell! XD

iavi

Lupin III: Sweet Lost Night

Now this is the more the kind of Lupin movie I like to watch, with lots of action, Lupin being awesome, a beautiful lady he wants to help etc etc.

That's all I need to hear. I'm watching me some Lupin tonight.

I started to despise those two characters. Fortunately, Mr. Sakamoto is around to always put me in a good mood when their skits come up.

Yeah, Sakamato made their scenes tolerable.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Astarotte no Omocha Episodes 3-5

Asuha is Naoya's daughter?

N72FL.gif

Castle.gif

Naoya is 23 years old. Asuha is 10. Let that sink in.

oKtUn.jpg

She is his daughter

He had sex when he was 12 or 13 and has a kid already that is 10. Not to mention that the woman he had sex with is
Lotte's mother
the
Queen

This anime is amazing.

There was, but we couldn't reach a consensus since there were the weirdos that wanted her to be flat. I felt that she should be nice and busty with each breast representing the OT and Gaming sides respectively. While the ass should have been community.

The problem of you not knowing what the definition of a moe-tan is, that is not our problem.

Hooray for in-line post editing, I guess?

Instro

Fate/Zero 8

Wow
Kayneth got fucked up, he looked nasty after that 2nd bullet hit
. Another solid episode, the Master v Master showdowns were very well done. Would like to see them get into the background of some these characters soon, Kiritsugu's story could be pretty interesting.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to

http://i.imgur.com/N72FL.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu78/Madkap-42/Castle.gif[IMG]

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/oKtUn.jpg[IMG]

She is his daughter

He had sex when he was 12 or 13 and has a kid already that is 10. Not to mention that the woman he had sex with is [SPOILER]Lotte's mother[/SPOILER] the [SPOILER]Queen[/SPOILER].

This anime is amazing.[/QUOTE]

Um. Wow. That's. Erm.

Indeed.

No its the enlightened vs heathens respectively.

Are you calling yourself a heathen? Isn't that a bit harsh? I know we're all supposed to be self-hating nerds, but you could be a little less hard on yourself!

FLAT IS HERESY!

The fact that you seem to not have seen Steins;Gate is the real tragedy.

I still seem to multi-quote the old fashioned way. This new system will take some getting used to.

I think this is how it works:
1. Click the (+) next to Quote on each post you want to quote.
2. Click on [Post Reply] at the bottom.
3. The Reply field populates with every post you (+)'d! IT'S LIKE WE'RE LIVING IN THE FUTURE!

edit: Nice spoiler fail there, Instro. :3

Ezalc

Are you calling yourself a heathen? Isn't that a bit harsh? I know we're all supposed to be self-hating nerds, but you could be a little less hard on yourself!

Such a sad attempt at trying to twist my words.

The fact that you seem to not have seen Steins;Gate is the real tragedy.
I started to watch it but got lazy.

3. The Reply field populates with every post you (+)'d! IT'S LIKE WE'RE LIVING IN THE FUTURE!
I know how it works I just forget to press the + every time I go to quote somebody.

jman2050

Anything from flat to medium works depending on the character in question. It's all in context.

Cow tits, however, are almost never good.

Ezalc

Flat is only justifiable if the character in question has both a great ass and pair of legs. Otherwise it doesn't work.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer

edit: Nice spoiler fail there, Instro. :3
Clicking (+) on some posts then hitting Quote on the last one works too.

wonzo

Banned
jman2050 said:
Anything from flat to medium works depending on the character in question. It's all in context.

Ezalc said:
Flat is only justifiable if the character in question has both a great ass and pair of legs. Otherwise it doesn't work.
+1

Chihayafuru 1 - Children are jerks.

Chihayafuru 2 - That "friend" of hers is a horrible person, why would that guy
actually forgive him at the end
after what he pulled... this episode was kind of hard to watch, that guy was being so mean.

This show's good, though, I will continue. I had watched part of ep. 1 before, but hadn't finished it; I finally went back and did so. It has a strong main character, which is great, and the episodes are pretty good, my dislike for that guy aside. As for the game of Karuta itself, though... yeah, it is kind of silly isn't it. I mean, it's just a matching game with a set of 100 old poems... pretty simple stuff. Sorry, Chihaya, I can see why everyone else calls it boring... the only skills involved are speed and memorization. Still, it makes for a decent show anyway.

Maken-Ki! 7 - Truly, this show is a work of art. A show that should be used as an example for future anime-makers... this is what happens when you adapt terrible source material -- you lose interest partway through and just stop trying. And that's what this episode felt like to me.

Oh, sure, it goes through the motions -- new girls are introduced, as well as a maybe-rival guy who they work for; there's a volleyball contest between the new and old characters; there are plenty of pantyshots, some haremizing occurs, etc; one of the new girls seems to like the MC... yeah, it's all there. But somehow it just felt lazy and boring. I mean, this show is, and always has been, terrible. It's the worst new show I've watched this year, is very sexist in some awful ways (this MC is really bad, out of the Shirou school, as I've said...), etc. So it's not like it suddenly got bad. It's just... kind of boring, I guess. It even skips over most of the volleyball game with a series of static shots, only bothering to animate the beginning and end of it. Great, showing off your low budget?

I don't know, I'm probably overstating the difference in comparison to past episodes, but that's what I felt, it felt lazy. I also was feeling the usual hatred for how awful this show is, of course. :)

http://i.imgur.com/N72FL.gif

http://i635.photobucket.com/albums/uu78/Madkap-42/Castle.gif

http://i.imgur.com/oKtUn.jpg

She is his daughter

He had sex when he was 12 or 13 and has a kid already that is 10. Not to mention that the woman he had sex with is
Lotte's mother
the
Queen

This anime is amazing.
The queen didn't give him much of a choice, really...

And it doesn't get better from there...
She came there, seduced a 12 or 13 year old boy, left, and then came back a while later to drop the child off there for him to take care of. Yeah.

... And the disturbing themes don't end there. Later on
and adult male prince who's in love with Lotte is introduced. So yeah, if the show was only pseudo-lolicon up until that point, at that point it goes full in pretty much... which is where I stopped watching, about. That crossed the line for me.

Why do so many of you hate boobs?

Huge boobs make everything better.

Perfectly wrong.

In anime there's no such thing as a great ass. Flat is only justifiable if the character is still growing.

This man speaks the truth.

This thread is nothing but lies!

Articalys

Fate/zero 8

Bad idea for Maiya to approach the supposedly-downed Kotomine without making sure he was down, but that's how the plot has to go sometimes. Also, I didn't really get the explanation that woman was giving in flashback for Kiritsugu's mage-wrecking superbullets, but I presume we'll get more details later on.

It's a real shame they ended up making this a split-season show, since that break's going to be torture at this rate, but if it really makes the second half better than I'm all for it.

Bakuman 2 episode 8
tumblr_luxvactzt11qbxqfpo1_500.png

Why cant Detective Trap be real? I think it would be my most favorite series. The character design is so cool. Regardless, fun episode and Yuujiro was surprising. With everything swiftly back to weekly business I hope we get some good old in depth discussion of Ashirogi Muto contemplating their plot, as well as finally reaching the mark to take on Eiji's Crow and Fukuda's Kiyoshi Knight. The ending scene is most likely one of the most memorable in this season. Gif of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom