• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defuser

Last Exile Fam did one thing right is having those girls in garterbelt and stockings. Goddamn, Gonzo knows how to tickle my fetish.

scy

You're right, it is pretty bad. They were better off with anime music videos made by cool directors: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ezs8kW0CQg

Perfect Day feels like it should have something more than just the PV :/ I'd watch it. Probably.

As for the GC opening ... eh, I like the full version quite a bit. Different strokes etc. Haven't seen the PV yet so who knows if that's just shitty though. Which it probably is as that's practically a rule of thumb.

iammeiam

Up to episode 19 spoilers:
Rukako dating Kyouma, Feyris falling in love with him after he took a beating for her, Kyouma tongue-raping Moeka, Kurisu tsun-tsun dere-dereing all the fucking time.

Basically that. Not that I was expecting much in the way of meaningful inter-gender relationships from this show in the first place!

FWIW, those parts of the show are more or less over by the point you've reached. The end of episode 20 kicks the last storyline into gear, and... It's all pretty great (it even kind of almost redeems the first episode.)

But, yeah, during that string of episodes I had to look up the genre of the game to see if the whole thing was really going to be a stealth dating-sim.

Jex

Lupin III: Sweet Lost Night

Now this is the more the kind of Lupin movie I like to watch, with lots of action, Lupin being awesome, a beautiful lady he wants to help etc etc.

If only we had that sweet Oshii Lupin Movie. Then everyone would realise that Lupin isn't all about action and beautiful ladies.
Master Keaton 27

B-but I thought these stories were always going to have a happy ending! Why do you do this to me now?!

Nice Hitchcockian tension.

That's one of those excellent episodes that, like Case 'Long Hot Today' I might show to someone to get them interested in Master Keaton. Of course, not all the stories are that high-tension, but I find that it gets people interested in the show.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Working'!! 08: Poplar was fucking adorable in this episode; Inami too. The direction wasn't as strong as in previous outings. Lots of weird faces going around.
I think there was a pony for GAF. Perfect mascot.
Belle Eve?

GXrH9.gif

xVRl7.gif

She's pretty moé.

wonzo

Banned
Working'!! 8

Yamada pretty much owns. All the scenes without her were kinda meh.

HxH R 8

A fairly boring episode. Next one should be good since it'll cover the
matches with Gon and Kurapika.

Ben-to 7

MhgiR.jpg

Only a pitiful dog would hate on Ume.
Eh, didn't like it. Was better as it was edited for TV.

Even the opening song disappoints in Guilty Crown.

e: also the video is pretty bad, must be like a universal standard for japanese music videos.
Poor Ayase, being stuck in such a shit show :(

Jex

[Queen Emeraldas OVA 2]

Man, there's a lot of pink lazers in this show. Note that I didn't say "beam spam", because apparently all the gunners on these ships have actually learned how to target correctly.

Also, amazingly, it's explained why Emeraldas looks so similar to that Matsumoto female. Well that's one down, all they have to do next is explain why every other attractive women looks exactly like that as well!
Anything from flat to medium works depending on the character in question. It's all in context.

Cow tits, however, are almost never good.

You know, it's a good thing this thread doesn't cone across as creepy and weird to anyone in GAF.

iavi

Working'!! 8

Yamada pretty much owns. All the scenes without her were kinda meh.

Wrong Yamada. The bro is actually funny. The sis' one note played out a long time ago, and otoo-san isn't even around to sustain it.

You know, it's a good thing this thread doesn't cone across as creepy and weird to anyone in GAF.

Just admit it, jex. I don't judge. You like them with milk jugs, don't you?

Defuser

I'm sad to say the full version of Supercell's My dearest is disappointing. The ending part is just lacking. No wonder Production I.G chose the climatic middle part as the end because it's fitting.Ryo should have done it this way.

Jex

I've never heard of this. Is it good?

Yes, it's very good and I'm not surprised you haven't heard about it, practically no-one has. Broadly speaking I might describe it as a
mystery
series but that might actually be a spoiler, considering the way the show presents itself.
By cow tits do you mean udders? I don't think I've ever seen an animu girl with actual udders.

Nanami doesn't count.

Sounds like something one would find in High School of the Dear.

Jex

Just admit it, jex. I don't judge. You like them with milk jugs, don't you?

I can't really say that I'm a fan of the current trend towards really terrible female designs in anime that are supposed to titillate teenage males. They're not really my cup of tea.
In anime there's no such thing as a great ass.

Well sadly that Video Girl Ai OVA could not replicate the quality of the original art work.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
I can't really say that I'm a fan of the current trend towards really terrible female designs in anime that are supposed to titillate teenage males. They're not really my cup of tea.
If only the anime industry had gone the way of Leiji Matsumoto's female designs...

Jex

I've always imagined that AnimeGAF would be represented by a Kugiloli with a monocle and top hat, but still (very) aggressively tsundere, since that's what AnimeGAF seems to be about everything. :p

By 'always imagined' are you meaning to suggest that this is the kind of subject matter you often think about?
There so skinny o_O

Emo anorexic shoujo ai mono no aware anime, I don't think I would want.

Shoujo ai? Have I walked into a tape-copying room at an anime convention in 1991?

Thoraxes

Ben-to 07
Best rudder and good nom de guerre ever.

Sato embodies the spirit of a man proudly in this episode, like he does in every other episode.

This episode just made me very happy, especially with
Brunette, Beardy, and Monk showing up and the Dolphin-man. Also all the great fan service everywhere just made me happier, Omlettits, everything. I am pleased.

Also enjoy this picture I just found on the internet: http://imgur.com/B7i7O

Morris

Disco Devil
Mawaru Himaridrum 19

DAT TWIST
, FUCKING HELL. Those last few minutes were sooooo good.

Also, dat Nanami reference!

mAcOdIn

Ugh, so, why are her eyes open like the whole episode now?

I thought this was a middling episode, kinda weak actually, his nom de guerre was pretty unimaginative and as nonsensical as this show is the episode felt like total nonsense, fanservice for the sake of it through and through essentially.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
mAcOdIn said:

I thought this was a middling episode, kinda weak actually, his nom de guerre was pretty unimaginative and as nonsensical as this show is the episode felt like total nonsense, fanservice for the sake of it through and through essentially.
Yeah, I wasn't really feeling this episode, despite some of the sillier moments. It was a T&A episode through and through.

Steroyd

Lotte's Toy

The queen didn't give him much of a choice, really...

And it doesn't get better from there...
She came there, seduced a 12 or 13 year old boy, left, and then came back a while later to drop the child off there for him to take care of. Yeah.

... And the disturbing themes don't end there. Later on
and adult male prince who's in love with Lotte is introduced. So yeah, if the show was only pseudo-lolicon up until that point, at that point it goes full in pretty much... which is where I stopped watching, about. That crossed the line for me.

It's like you never read the summary before the show even started, or the first episode. Lines were crossed at the start, unless you have weird curvy lines.

Guilty Crown - 6

Shu is really getting to me and if it wasn't for the 2nd half, this ep. would have been a total loss. Anyway Gai being a boss
taking down an endlave by himself was cool.

Ben-To 7

Great episode, but Shaga seems to prioritize playing around with Sato than being a wolf.lol Good thing
Shiraume didn't overstay her welcome by having only exactly 30 sec. of screen time. =D

Jex

MotionBlue said:
Bento 07

Great beach episode or GREATEST beach episode?!

Omletetits, hydro-foil "rudders" and oh so much TnA
SonicX_Zero said:
Ben-To 7

Great episode, but Shaga seems to prioritize playing around with Sato than being a wolf.

Thoraxes said:
Ben-to 07
Best rudder and good nom de guerre ever.

Sato embodies the spirit of a man proudly in this episode, like he does in every other episode.

This episode just made me very happy...[/spoiler]
mAcOdIn said:

I thought this was a middling episode, kinda weak actually...
firehawk12 said:
Yeah, I wasn't really feeling this episode, despite some of the sillier moments. It was a T&A episode through and through.
I think it's become pretty clear why certain people are watching this show!

Lotte's ToyIt's like you never read the summary before the show even started, or the first episode. Lines were crossed at the start, unless you have weird curvy lines.

No, that's the whole point -- the summary was quite deceptive, and there was very little MC-Lotte romance in the show at all. She's the same age as his daughter, and he thinks of her more like that, the one he likes is her mother the queen... basically the summary was written to lure in that audience but for a while the show wasn't really like that. When that seemed to be changing, somewhat, I stopped watching.

As for the first episode, I do remember disliking that one, yes. It got better in ep. 2.

doomed1 said:
Claus was damned standard oblivious anime protagonist that all the girls seemed to get wet for though. It would be pretty hard for Fam to best that. What made the original Last Exile good was the concept, the competent narrative, and the badass supporting characters (also Lavie, who would have been the best damned character on the show if she didn't put up with Claus' bullshit all the time like she did). While I have more than a few reservations about Fam, she still has more potential as a character than Claus ever did. They do, however, need to murder whoever in marketing is meddling in the script, because I can think of nothing else that would turn Fam into such a dry "I am blindly doing good to the blatant disregard of my life" character...
Hard to best that? You mean hard not to best that, right?

... To be fair to Claus, he was better than the standard anime protagonist, but he did have some of that in him, yes.

Steroyd

No, that's the whole point -- the summary was quite deceptive, and there was very little MC-Lotte romance in the show at all. She's the same age as his daughter, and he thinks of her more like that, the one he likes is her mother the queen... basically the summary was written to lure in that audience but for a while the show wasn't really like that. When that seemed to be changing, somewhat, I stopped watching.

As for the first episode, I do remember disliking that one, yes. It got better in ep. 2.

When you stopped watching was just as harmless as when you were watching, the only time you should have stopped was when the OVA came when something actually happened.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
You're probably thinking of something completely different. I can't even remember one anime chick who didn't have a flat ass.
That's probably got more to do with your memory or the stuff you're watching. I mean, I just watched Re: Cutie Honey today. Nothing flat there...

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
I think it's become pretty clear why certain people are watching this show!

Well, Ben-to hasn't exactly been afraid of a little T&A, this episode just made the final battle for bentto at the end funnier and more awesome by shaking up the formula while throwing in some fanservice.

I will admit though, it's funny how some shows fanservice bothers me, while other shows like Ben-To I just take it in stride. Like this episode, for example. There's a scene where the main character Sato, whom the show has established as a connoisseur of the female physique, is looking at Yarizui in her swimsuit. So it's not exactly out of character for him, but then again most anime MCs like to look so it's nothing new. Now, normally the complete fanservice of her stretch in said swimsuit would put me off in many other shows, but here it doesn't because it's in her character to stretch before physical activity. This is also helped by her choice of swimsuit, which looks more akin to someone who takes sports and physical activities seriously rather than an out-of-character pandering style bikini.

That's not to say it isn't gratuitous. It is. But it bothered me a bit less due to how it was handled overall, the above being an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom