• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
gundam AGE 07

lmao. it went all Gundam Maxter. Light hearted gundam is refreshing imo. At least I'm kinda able to follow the plot, which is pretty rare for gundam. But it's still early on. The plot still got plenty of time to go batshit insane.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Gundam Unicorn 4: Robots fight, Blonde kid is a derp as expected, drinking coffee is meaningful.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me

Really, all I read out of this is "Shit turns out well for her even though she's hotheaded and arrogant. That makes me bitter." This seems like it goes a bit deeper than "this isn't realistic." The fact that you admit that you don't like Fam in the first place is enough for this. Narratively this is pretty predictable, and they didn't exactly
win Bleach style where Ichigo pulls more power from out his asshole, the practice of dumping fuel, irregardless of the precedent set in the previous season, is a genuine way to lighten a craft enough to improve acceleration and top speed, especially with such a high power to weight ratio. This isn't something to be argued. Maybe it felt just a bit anti-climactic, which it in many ways did since there apparently wasn't the animation budget to show how close the race would be sometimes, and that I can agree on, but unlrealistic? No, the word you want is unlikely, but that doesn't make something impossible.

Master Keaton 38-39

This more extended and elaborate story works well as a series closer. They even managed to tie the "Master" thing in at the end.

Finishing an excellent episodic series like this always makes me sad. If you're telling one overarching story you can draw things together into a satisfying conclusion where anything further would only weaken what has been achieved. Purely episodic shows, on the other hand, can continue as long as they please, and when I like the characters and stories this much I'd like to see it continue forever. Fortunately in this case I still have the manga.

Ezalc

Really, all I read out of this is "Shit turns out well for her even though she's hotheaded and arrogant. That makes me bitter." This seems like it goes a bit deeper than "this isn't realistic." The fact that you admit that you don't like Fam in the first place is enough for this. Narratively this is pretty predictable, and they didn't exactly
win Bleach style where Ichigo pulls more power from out his asshole, the practice of dumping fuel, irregardless of the precedent set in the previous season, is a genuine way to lighten a craft enough to improve acceleration and top speed, especially with such a high power to weight ratio. This isn't something to be argued. Maybe it felt just a bit anti-climactic, which it in many ways did since there apparently wasn't the animation budget to show how close the race would be sometimes, and that I can agree on, but unlrealistic? No, the word you want is unlikely, but that doesn't make something impossible.

I don't like Fam because right now she's just like every other throw away upbeat character. I didn't like Gon at first, but after he admitted how much Hisoka made him shit his pants I started to like him. The narrative is predictable and that's exactly what I don't like about it. I don't want it to be predictable, which is why I wanted her to lose so that nobody could have seen that shit coming. I know that dumping fuel is a practice to increase speed and lighten the ship. That's a standard tactic, still doesn't mean that she should have won. Yes it was unlikely, extremely unlikely. Nothing is impossible, she could have won through dumb luck. That didn't happen, she won because of her apparent "skill" and planning. Neither of which should have helped her all that much against a veteran racer who has a lot of experience on this particular course. I never said that I didn't expect her to win, I did but I didn't want her to. I never thought that it would be impossible for her to win it was extremely unlikely and apart from dumb luck she shouldn't have won. The main issue still remains. She shouldn't have won, but she did because she's the main character and this wasn't a super important battle.

Solune

Maji de Watashi 7

8O8W1.jpg

MGS discussion the other day fitting well here. Truly animegaf > anime > animegaf.

Gundam Unicorn 4: Robots fight, Blonde kid is a derp as expected, drinking coffee is meaningful.

Halycon
One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
(Today, 06:32 PM)

Haly

I'm glad to see more people becoming aware of the myriad benefits of drinking coffee, such as happiness, caffeine addiction, and a sense of meaning.
I greatly prefer the smell of coffee to the taste of coffee.

Same goes for tea and wine.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
I don't like Fam because right now she's just like every other throw away upbeat character. I didn't like Gon at first, but after he admitted how much Hisoka made him shit his pants I started to like him. The narrative is predictable and that's exactly what I don't like about it. I don't want it to be predictable, which is why I wanted her to lose so that nobody could have seen that shit coming. I know that dumping fuel is a practice to increase speed and lighten the ship. That's a standard tactic, still doesn't mean that she should have won. Yes it was unlikely, extremely unlikely. Nothing is impossible, she could have won through dumb luck. That didn't happen, she won because of her apparent "skill" and planning. Neither of which should have helped her all that much against a veteran racer who has a lot of experience on this particular course. I never said that I didn't expect her to win, I did but I didn't want her to. I never thought that it would be impossible for her to win it was extremely unlikely and apart from dumb luck she shouldn't have won. The main issue still remains. She shouldn't have won, but she did because she's the main character and this wasn't a super important battle.

Well then what are you complaining about then?
If you knew she was going to win, and that her win was a result of luck, doesn't that make it more unrealistic to expect her to fail? Honestly speaking, this victory if anything sets up for a greater loss down the road. Heroes have to have their time of doubt, their true losses, but the series is a full season, so I wouldn't take the events of episode 6 too much to heart. If the show devolves into nothing but FAM: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC, then sure, I'll be on your side, but the season isn't even half-over yet, give it some time to build up first.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Speaking of which, coffee grounds are a powerful air freshener. Even if it's something normal sprays and scents can't manage, coffee cuts through it all and leaves its own soothing smell.

Haly

And I am glad to do my part. ^_^
The tears you shed over horrible anime are like fine wine, icarus.
Speaking of which, coffee grounds are a powerful air freshener. Even if it's something normal sprays and scents can't manage, coffee cuts through it all and leaves its own soothing smell.
This thread is both entertaining and educational.

How many episodes of Mirai Nikki are we getting?

But then don't you have to find a way to remove the smell of coffee?

Ezalc

I'm not an old man like most of you. I don't need coffee.

Well then what are you complaining about then?
If you knew she was going to win, and that her win was a result of luck, doesn't that make it more unrealistic to expect her to fail? Honestly speaking, this victory if anything sets up for a greater loss down the road. Heroes have to have their time of doubt, their true losses, but the series is a full season, so I wouldn't take the events of episode 6 too much to heart. If the show devolves into nothing but FAM: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC, then sure, I'll be on your side, but the season isn't even half-over yet, give it some time to build up first.

I'm complaining because this win wasn't a result of luck. They tried to justify the win because of her "strategy" that was risky. If she had won through dumb luck I wouldn't be complaining about it. Dumb luck was like how when Spike was fighting Pierrot there just happened to be a cat doll in one of the store's displays that disorientated him long enough for Spike to injure him and make him go batshit. It wasn't planned, he didn't know it was there. It was just pure dumb luck. If that cat wasn't there Spike would have died right then and there since he couldn't beat Pierrot in pure combat. Fam shouldn't have been able to win against the guy in a pure race, but she did because she conveniently thought of a strategy that could have backfired but of course it didn't because she's the main character. Right now I'm mad that it happened but I'm giving the show a chance to prove me wrong and that it's not all about friendship power. We'll see as the show goes on.

jman2050

Ben-To 6+7

6: Nice episode, good conclusion to that particular arc. So much silliness.

7: T&A episodes are perfectly acceptable if done right, like this one!

Steroyd

Bokura Ga Ita - 13

I loved this series upto the point they get together.

"break my fingers" was pretty sweet. The stuff after was arrrgghhhh rage inducing.

I... I can't believe what they just did to drag this on for another 13 episodes. AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!

zeroshiki

Bokura Ga Ita - 13

I... I can't believe what they just did to drag this on for another 13 episodes. AAAAAARRRRRRGGGGGGHHHHH!!!

To be fair, the manga drags it on too.

I have come to the conclusion, in all my shoujo watching, that shoujo becomes boring as soon as they get together. Them not getting together and doing the will they or won't they crap for too long is bad too, however.

Bento 7

Wow. Easily one of my fav 'pool/beach' eps in anime ever. Pretty much the only other one that I really liked was the beach eps in fmp fumoffu (sp?).

fanservice + comedy + action. And that dolphin suit....

Cwarrior

Bokura Ga Ita 01 - 12

No idea where to place this on the shoujo scale, tons and tons and tons of monologuing
which created the most weirdest non-sex scene EVER
, everyone is missing an eye or two when someone else speaks a sentence coupled with lots of close single eye shots whether they've been drawn in or not, and the show seems to really be pushing the love is blind angle which makes for laughable angst/drama, or whatever the hell this is.

lol lot of time spent on missing eyes stare and very akward
monologues
Get ready for some angst water works because the main girl is more pathetic than your average shojou lead, spends all her time crying about everything and anything.
The manga is still dragging on with no progress for years(been comfired to be ending a long time ago).

Ojisan no Lamp

Surprisingly effective and complete life story, considering the short time span.

We embrace the new when we're young, only to see it slip away from us as we grow up. Technology is a fleeting thing.

Dresden

Ojisan no Lamp

Surprisingly effective and complete life story, considering the short time span.

We embrace the new when we're young, only to see it slip away from us as we grow up. Technology is a fleeting thing.

Kizuna Ichigeki

Colorful, lively, and fun. Loved it.
Those were great, and probably the best two out of the four last year. Kizuna was my favorite - just an awesome, fun anime.

jman2050

Mirai Nikki 7

The anger faces in this show are glorious.
Rea's death scene was pretty glorious. Yuno is as fun as ever

Also big old lol @ the
SF4 parody

Jex

Ojisan no Lamp has more substance, but Kizuna has more flash - I'm not sure I can pick between them!

I'd pick Kizuna Ichigeki because it's fun. That is all.
Hanasaku Iroha 16

As I started this episode, I remembered why I lost motivation to keep watching this show when it was airing. Then Grandma showed up and my motivation was restored! Even when she's barely on screen, she's still a great character[...]The very end was
a lame attempt at a cliffhanger. A phone is ringing! Oh no, what horrible news could be waiting on the other end! Discord with girls' innocent laughter! Also wet shirts! Bah. The phone ringing cliffhanger only works if we have some idea of what there is to fear.
It's destiny calling. DESTINY.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Mirai Nikki 7

This feels like it should be a strong episode, but the plot holes bother me to no end.

Why is anything hidden from Yuuki to begin with? The nature of his diary should instantly reveal anything malicious about to happen. Why doesn't he want to just kill the kid? Destroying his diary would has the same outcome. At the very least they could restrain the kid, lock him in a bathroom, anything. But no, stupidity and inaction reign supreme in poor fiction for anything of interest to happen. By the nature of the kid's diary a long and drawn out plan to kill Yuuki and Yuno just doesn't work. Their diaries update constantly, so they should have been aware of any plan, and been able to foil anything thought up ahead of time. His diary only maps out three points of the day, but given that anything could easily change the course of time it is illogical that his plan would transpire as he wrote it ahead of time with other diary users altering the future. This becomes especially true if he sends his diary away, and while it is gone Yuno and Yuuki have massive behavioral changes when they find out the kid is a diary user. Realistically, his diary would only work as a reactionary measure when he sees the future change. Then the other stuff that bugged me was just like, the kid sending something in the first place, or a five year old being able to drag a grown woman's body outside, or the envelope having enough gas to keep the house flooded with it for an extended period of time, or the electric shock not killing Yuno (and her not noticing the water to begin with). I know this story isn't supposed to be high thinking or anything, but poorly constructed stuff like this just irks me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom