• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ezalc

G has a German ninja. Clearly that shows how glorious it is. Gundam needs more German ninjas in big German ninja robots.

Uchip

Banned
Eden of the East: The King of Eden

waat.
I have no idea what was going on in some parts during the last 30mins. I feel like I should've watched Air Communication before I watched it. Either way, it was a disappointment compared to the series and hope Paradise Lost is better. Gunna attempt to watch it again (and the recap) before I order Lost Paradise bluray.

eden of the east for most wasted potential in anime

Jex

What big-name super robot shows have there been in the last few years anyway? I can only think of Gurren Lagann and Star Driver.
Depends by you mean in "the last few years" and by what you mean by "super robot shows". I mean, mecha is now a niche and 'super robot mecha' is a niche within that niche.

I mean, Star Driver isn't really anything like Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann. But if we're working from 2007 then there's:

Genesis of Aquarion
GR: Giant Robo
Koutetsushin Jeeg
Gurren Lagann
Evangelion 1.0 (?)
Evangelion 2.0 (?)
Shin Mazinger Shogeki! Z Hen
Mazinkaiser SKL
Star Driver Final [Episode] (??????????????????)

Kimi to Boku 8
tumblr_lv11w4ZZrI1qktlzuo1_500.gif

I liked the Yuuki focus of the episode. Funny episode with the manga, I liked their teamwork. Shun as the love interest was too funny. But Ryunusuke Mangashita was a cool character.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
I was under the impression that, within means, Yukki doesnt actually want to kill anyone, similar to the way the other diary user with the one eye has yet to be killed in two instances. Going straight for the kill would have been out of character

Well at the very least,
It's kind of difficult to explain exactly why you killed a small child in cold blood. Getting rid of the diary would remove all evidence. He'd simply disappear. But after a certain point where he's already caused enough of a ruckus, hiding it stops mattering and you may as well just knife the kid.

Jex

C) All of the above
Well, I think you're at least partially correct. G Gundam is great, but it's only liked in retrospect - at the time it didn't seem to get that much love (presumably because it was such a big break from the established formula).

Ben-To 7

This show is about as stupid as it's ever been but I feel no desire to continue. I find that eating too much junk food makes be feel a bit sick, and as this show is the equivalent of an unhealthy I have no qualms dropping it.

/XX/

Well, most likely not the same audience that reads Shounen Jump
Heh, aren't they all the same 15 year old boys though?
That's the power of Level 5, expanding and diverisying the audience. It can't all be delicious man on man action for the female fans.
And that is part of the answer...

What big-name super robot shows have there been in the last few years anyway? I can only think of Gurren Lagann and Star Driver.
Shin Mazinger Impact Z!

Man, PdotMichael... where we left our innocence?

Steroyd

Don't. Seriously.

I thought the anime series was okay but then you find out what happens after the series ended. And it is just UGH. Some people are into that though.

Too late, the episode count was 9, and I could only forsee stupid shit happening in those episodes.

Looks like I wasn't that far off the mark either.

Now you have me curious as to what happens when anime finishes, back to wikipedia.

Edit: ....

Cwarrior

Bokura Ga Ita - 17

Fuck this shit, I'm wikipedia'ing the rest.

No need I will tell you what happens after the anime....
Nothing

-emo boy(yano) leaves to go somewhere, he says he will be back in 2 years but 6 years pass and he never comes back(comes back later on to be all shoujo with I can't be with her cause i luv her trope) .

-main girl still waiting for him even after the promised 2 years go by(6yrs), continues to touch her self at night while monologuing about yano(25 year old virgin, last chapters falls down the stairs and I think she might die as virgin hopefuly).
-bro boy for these past 6 years has been in the friend zone area,as soon as she thinking about giveing up he fucks it up for him self by saying emo boy came by many years ago and he told me to not tell you and am telling you it now to drag on this story.

so nothing changes, yano to busy being emo, main girl is still monologuing about emo boy and bro boy is still trolling himself

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Poor, poor Gundam Age...

--------

Anyhoo, KimiBoku took a break from the relationship stuff to do a close bro-love kohai/sempai thing. So cute.

N7EQWl.jpg

--------

One thing I just noticed about Squid Girl - last season introduced a new squid girl or some form of sea girl right at the end... but they seemed to have ignored that "twist" this season. I wonder if that was a conscious choice to avoid having any continuity whatsoever, or if they're going to re-introduce the character later on.

This is that mysterious girl:
RkAiLl.png

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Besides Penguindrum, what are the must watch shows of this season?
Chihayafuru is the only show this season I would say anyone should pick up and try out. There's other stuff without as much universal appeal, but if a synopsis strikes you then just go for it.

Steroyd

"Must watch" show goes to Chihayafuru.

Ben-To for the fact that all it's rediculousness is all over half priced food.

Squid Girl for the HNNNNNG

Boku Wa Tomodachi for the lulz.

Mirai Nikki if you love psychotic murderous girlfriend shows.

Instro

Fate/Zero
Chihayafuru

I don't really think anything else is "must watch", although there are a couple other good and/or fun shows out there like Tamayura, Bento, Working, Squid Girl, and BokuTomo.

Guilty Crown is also worth checking out.

One thing I just noticed about Squid Girl - last season introduced a new squid girl or some form of sea girl right at the end... but they seemed to have ignored that "twist" this season. I wonder if that was a conscious choice to avoid having any continuity whatsoever, or if they're going to re-introduce the character later on.

This is that mysterious girl:

She's in the manga through, so I doubt they'd just cut her out. Don't know when she shows up again though.

Mirai Nikki 7

Damn, more censorship, but still an awesomely tense episode.
5th's death
was more brutal than I remember it in the manga. IIRC, he didn't talk as much before getting dimensional flushed. And of course this is where Yuno REALLY starts to cause problems, :lol.

Frosteey

Neo Member
I have been Guilty Crown free for two weeks so I could catch up on Idolmaster. I think that is why episode 20 really resonated with me.

Tiger & Bunny

INCREDIBLE finale! Things happened exactly how I wanted them to, but better. Great fights, great developments, and a slight altering of the status quo that is quite befitting of a final episode. And holy shit at the post credits scene!
Seems like Ouroboros is much bigger than we all thought. I'm guessing it makes a lot of sense though with how Maverick said the addition of Hero TV led to a big change in the city and helped it prosper, so it only makes sense that a few Ouroboros higher-ups snuck their way into powerful political positions.

Overall, this was a fantastic series. There is not one character I dislike even if I was a bit sour on a few like Barnaby at first. Kotetsu is really a great and relatable protagonist. It's nice to see an everyman as the hero for once even if he does have super powers.

As I said before, I really loved how things escalated. Each arc was more tense and badass than the last one with some fantastic albeit standard villains. I kind of regret putting this on the backburner back at episode 4, because I'd probably have a blast discussing and speculating stuff with everyone.

I honestly think this series has great mainstream appeal and could legitimately save anime in America (I mean if people still bought anime of course). It's straightforward, standard but well-executed, stars a multinational cast of superheroes, and it takes place in what might as well be a futuristic New York City. I really hope Viz treats it well since this has a ton of potential beyond yaoi fangirls.

This will definitely have a top spot in my AOTY list. Can't wait for more next year.

mAcOdIn

Ben-To 7

This show is about as stupid as it's ever been but I feel no desire to continue. I find that eating too much junk food makes be feel a bit sick, and as this show is the equivalent of an unhealthy I have no qualms dropping it.
Aww, I'm kinda on the fence. I'm going to give it another chance, even at its worst it's better than Penguin Drum, but this episode better have been a one-off.

Eden of the East 3/4

This game is rather serious. Although I wish main would get his memory back, I would be afraid he would have a complete change of personality. If given 10bln yens I dont know what I would do beyond living in a mall.

scy

Eden of the East 3/4

This game is rather serious. Although I wish main would get his memory back, I would be afraid he would have a complete change of personality. If given 10bln yens I dont know what I would do beyond living in a mall.

I enjoyed Eden of the East thoroughly and look forward to see how this pans out for you. Also, fuck yeah, mall living.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom