• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wardrobe Dwellers (Tansu Warashi)

This felt like it should have more substance than it did, and it felt a little lazy on the animation side - the continually recurring outside shot of the house, for instance. However, I loved the art style (the food looked very appetizing) and the music, and on the whole it was quite charming in a light slice-of-life kind of way.

Super Veggie Torracman (Bannou Yasai Ninninman)

Probably my least favorite of the training project shorts, though it's still good. The veggie sidekicks got a bit annoying with their cartoonish mannerisms, and the color choices for the characters and some of the indoor locations, Mari's room in particular, were garish. However, I liked how it tied together Mari's fear of eating vegetables and her relationship with her friend into a story about taking your very first steps into growing up. The climax was well done.

I hope the Japanese government sees fit to fund another project like this in the future, as all four shorts were creative and worth watching. A much better use of money than Blood-C.

Hunter x Hunter R 8

Tonpa still a douche. It's been a while, but I feel like him
giving up
was more epic here than in the original.

Either next episode or the one after that will be the moment of truth regarding censorship. The anticipation is killing me. By this time in 2 weeks, I will be either super disappointed and possibly drop the series until it gets past Greed Island or I will be super relieved and continue to watch it.

Anne of Green Gables 1-2

Even in Canada, Japan is able to work in their beloved cherry blossoms.

vMMcF.jpg

It's wonderful to come back to this story I love so dearly, seeing the familiar story beats and dialogue unfold. I love Anne - how can your heart not melt at her earnest and innocent melodrama? The Cuthberts are excellent foils for her, not to mention each other.

What I'm most impressed with in this particular adaptation so far is the expressiveness of the faces and the appropriateness of the character designs, as well as the portrayal of Anne's flights of fancy. Takahata seems well-suited for this material.

Ostinatto

im a huge Ghibli fan
i watched almost everything from them

recently i watch Death Note, was good till EP 14 i think

what i should watch next?

thanks GAF

zeroshiki

im a huge Ghibli fan
i watched almost everything from them

recently i watch Death Note, was good till EP 14 i think

what i should watch next?

thanks GAF

Watch Kamichu. Its about this little girl who turned into a god. Its very cute and mellow and has some Ghibli trappings.

duckroll

I just had a thought. Considering we now have the exact length and animation scale of the Berserk trilogy, and we know that the project was started in 2008 and will be completed in 2012... we basically know that Studio 4C dedicated 4 years to producing a remake of the Golden Age arc that has the runtime of a 13 episode TV series. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Ben-to 7

This episode was PRICELESS

Wow at Yurizui's body.

Fight was fun and the rudder scene was hilarious.

I just had a thought. Considering we now have the exact length and animation scale of the Berserk trilogy, and we know that the project was started in 2008 and will be completed in 2012... we basically know that Studio 4C dedicated 4 years to producing a remake of the Golden Age arc that has the runtime of a 13 episode TV series. I'm not sure if this is a good or bad thing.

Final Fantasy XIII'd

Jex

duckroll said:
I guess if it's really successful they have nothing to worry about.

Mirai Nikki if you love psychotic murderous girlfriend shows.

Who doesn't? Anybody we care about?

I thought Guilty Crown was a show for self hating nerds.

Guilty Crown is like Code Geass, only not quite as much. Not as much good, or not as much bad? You decide. Either way, it fails to live up to the standard set by the Fabulous Anime of the Forever, but really, nothing could, and GC does give it the old college try and nearly succeeds.

Instro

Anything like Ghost in the Shell, Kino's Journey, or Paranoia Agent this season? The only three anime shows I've ever enjoyed.

Not really. Mirai Nikki might match up with Paranoia Agent's horror elements, but I think you'd be better off digging through older shows or previous seasons if those 3 are the type of anime you are looking for. Might allow you to expand your tastes a bit. I'd link you to the thread that has an extensive list of good anime from the 2000's but search function is still down so I can't. If those are the only shows you have enjoyed, what other shows have you watched but disliked? Might be easier to give some recommendations that way.

Now if you really do want to watch something from this season, then your best option is probably Fate/Zero. Not really like anything you mentioned, but its a really solid show with great action, supernatural elements, and an interesting plot among other things.

Oh and presumably you have watched Stand Alone Complex correct?

Not really. Mirai Nikki might match up with Paranoia Agent's horror elements, but I think you'd be better off digging through older shows or previous seasons if those 3 are the type of anime you are looking for. Might allow you to expand your tastes a bit. I'd link you to the thread that has an extensive list of good anime from the 2000's but search function is still down so I can't. If those are the only shows you have enjoyed, what other shows have you watched but disliked? Might be easier to give some recommendations that way.

Search is up; look in the upper bar between Subscriptions and Store.

And that thread about good anime from the 2000s is here.

Eden of the East ep 9/10

This anime is so suspenseful that I cant help but stay up and finish it, but
if that was Juiz, wow, looked as I expected. The transport Juiz to a secret location order caught me off guard and made me laugh, as the three in the room looked shocked. Oh and Juiz for best voice by a human female in an anime, I love it

zeroshiki

Watch Windy Tales instead, it's better at being a "ghibli-series-thats-not-ghibli" than kamichu.

No, I got it right the first time.

Windy Tales also has this weird art style. If he's looking for something ala Ghibli, the first half of Kamichu is kinda similar.

Red Garden 2

Not a huge fan of the fragmented storytelling, but the actual content is cool.

And lol, Kate can't take a hint at all. Rose does NOT want to talk about your run-in with some crazy dog-man that tried to kill you!

Noein 2-5

I wasn't too much of a fan of the fight-over-a-boy episode. But this series already has me inching to watch the next episode. The action can be a little over the top, but it's really fun, the humorous parts feel very genuine as well. More people should jump on this.

I can't help but think a little of Fantastic Children though.

zeroshiki

In a completely tangential (yet relevant) point, the perpetrators of the Sarin gas attacks were handed final death sentences by the Supreme Court recently.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
In a completely tangential (yet relevant) point, the perpetrators of the Sarin gas attacks were handed final death sentences by the Supreme Court recently.

While I'm glad justice is being served, it always amazes me how long it takes for these sentences to be carried out. Not that I want the world to take the Phoenix Wright approach to sentencing but you know...

Noein 2-5

I wasn't too much of a fan of the fight-over-a-boy episode. But this series already has me inching to watch the next episode. The action can be a little over the top, but it's really fun, the humorous parts feel very genuine as well. More people should jump on this.

I can't help but think a little of Fantastic Children though.

I enjoyed Noein immensely, one of the first anime series I finished.

faridmon

Eden of the East DVD lies at my shelf because I wating for the movies t come out. Now that they are out, the DVD collection cost 10 quid less than one of the movies. This is bloody bullshit. I'll wait few month, so I can grab them cheaper.
Red Garden 2

Not a huge fan of the fragmented storytelling, but the actual content is cool.

!

One of my favourite Animes ever. I don't know what everyone else thinks, but I bloody loved it. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom