• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see that they only stream the best.

It's like that crazy period in the 2000's where everything got licensed, in other words, a load of crap flooded the anime sections in retailers. I guess with online it's far cheaper and less risky to do licence trash, because there's no need to make it and pack it and ship it and put up in store shelves.

Crunchyroll isn't selling individual series; they're selling a package subscription deal. Whatever they can license without breaking the bank, they will so they can improve the perceived value of the overall package. It's not as if their goal is to be curators of top-quality anime.

I feel bad for the people who have to write up the trash shows in their emails; it's got to be difficult to come up with positive-sounding statements about them.

Dresden

If I was to build the ideal anime director . . . he'd be named Ichiro Nakamura, would have long blond hair, and he'd smile like Oshii.

Dynedom

Finally finished my entire re-viewing of Legend of Galactic Heroes. I'm having a hard time debating whether the last season is the weakest. I mean, the first season is a bit slow and the last season had some really great character-driven moments. At the same time,
I don't think the series was ever the same after Yang's death. Keep in mind that this is LoGH and it's not a case of the last season being terrible...just not as good. The worst season of LoGH can stand toe to toe with the best season of any space opera

Hrm.

Do we have a separate thread for this? There's so much you can discuss with LoGH, it deserves it's own OT.

Jex

Finally finished my entire re-viewing of Legend of Galactic Heroes. I'm having a hard time debating whether the last season is the weakest. I mean, the first season is a bit slow and the last season had some really great character-driven moments. At the same time,
I don't think the series was ever the same after Yang's death. Keep in mind that this is LoGH and it's not a case of the last season being terrible...just not as good. The worst season of LoGH can stand toe to toe with the best season of any space opera

Hrm.

Do we have a separate thread for this? There's so much you can discuss with LoGH, it deserves it's own OT.

I gave it own god damn thread. It only got up to 10 posts :(

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
The moment a side character seems to outshine a protagonist, you're going to run into problems with your canon. Roberta was so over the top and unbelievable and it just made the entire thing so...shounen. Is it possible to be too anime?
Revy has been outshined before. She even admits that Chang is better than her. Same with Samurai dude in Tokyo. And its not like she feels out of the league of the other fem fatalities in the show.

Roberta on the other hand sticks out like green in a sea of pink.
She catches Shen's Kunai in her mouth and breaks it by biting down. Even Revy had trouble with Shen. The same thing happens with Bak's special forces. Revy has to avoid the fire. Roberta is driving in the middle of the street with rockets and a dozen Russian special ops shooting at her. And still survives without even a scratch. And there are just so many of these moments with her. Holding a .50 cal sniper, while dodging gunfire.

Chang, Revy, Shen, and others still respond to fire. The enemies may be fodder, but they don't act like they are invincible. Roberta ignores it and does. She then ante's it up by running down cars, being stronger than anyone else, miraculously dodging bullets in mid air while not needing to take cover, etc. You think a guy who can cut bullets with a sword would be the highest up... yet he doesn't come close to how ridiculous Roberta is.

Dynedom

I don't mean outshine in terms of skill. I mean out-shined in terms of focus, screen time and overall insane shit to behold on-screen. I mean, yes you had
Ginji cutting a bullet in half
but that still ended with
Revy killing him

I gave it own god damn thread. It only got up to 10 posts :(

Do I dare necro-bump?

Jex

[...]Roberta on the other hand sticks out like green in a sea of pink.[...]You think a guy who can cut bullets with a sword would be the highest up... yet he doesn't come close to how ridiculous Roberta is.

I've seen that on youtube though, it's possible in the real world!

Geneijin

If you call it inspiration or copy it's not that important because it's not the main problem. Many animes are based on mangas or light novels and booth market are afaik healthy. It's all about target groups, the development of the industry is no surprise, if you have just a small Otaku monoculture.
Uh, it's important because I think you're misrepresenting what 70s Cutey Honey is to the magical girl genre? I could care less about derivative works thing when I wasn't addressing that at all. You've missed the point of my post.

BluWacky said:
As 7th has said, Cutie Honey and Sailor Moon were the exception, rather than the rule.
That sums it up.

Noein 6-End

What a great series, the science gets a little complicated at the end, but never overwhelms. The villian was surprisingly poignant, and I'm simply astonished at how everything pulled together at the end. Really amazing.

Cwarrior

Revy has been outshined before. She even admits that Chang is better than her. Same with Samurai dude in Tokyo. And its not like she feels out of the league of the other fem fatalities in the show.

Roberta on the other hand sticks out like green in a sea of pink.
She catches Shen's Kunai in her mouth and breaks it by biting down. Even Revy had trouble with Shen. The same thing happens with Bak's special forces. Revy has to avoid the fire. Roberta is driving in the middle of the street with rockets and a dozen Russian special ops shooting at her. And still survives without even a scratch. And there are just so many of these moments with her. Holding a .50 cal sniper, while dodging gunfire.

Chang, Revy, Shen, and others still respond to fire. The enemies may be fodder, but they don't act like they are invincible. Roberta ignores it and does. She then ante's it up by running down cars, being stronger than anyone else, miraculously dodging bullets in mid air while not needing to take cover, etc. You think a guy who can cut bullets with a sword would be the highest up... yet he doesn't come close to how ridiculous Roberta is.

balalaika troops where never really aiming at robterta to kill her, there plan was to help the troops leave roanapur so then don't get killed there, attracting unwanted attention by the US, what they wanted is for roberta to kill the troops outside the island.

I don't mean outshine in terms of skill. I mean out-shined in terms of focus, screen time and overall insane shit to behold on-screen. I mean, yes you had
Ginji cutting a bullet in half
but that still ended with
Revy killing him

I feel very strongly against what you just said there, having a change of pace where the show focus on different characters is a huge plus for any show, it would get stale if it was revy all the time and her having no equal or any real threat against but fodder no face goons.

What your asking for is cookie cutter mediocre shounen/anime where it's the lead all the time and every time where all the side characters exist for the sole purpose of advance the protagonist story with no story to tell of their own.

You make it sound like Roberta was the focus in a lot episode she was just in 5ove eps and the 2 eps she was introduced in, out of 29 episodes.

Cuting bullet blade guy fight was an awful fight

*shoots samurai guy*
revy:"rock you did it, you made her say it, thats your bullet"

*me vomits*

The whole tokyo arc made me ill.

It's not very strategically sound to let everyone know about the war that you are planning.

If your strategy is to intimidate your enemy first before you attack them, then yes. There is precedent in historical wars on Earth where precisely this was done. If you know your enemy's morale is low, or their army is conscripted or enslaved, or you have an overwhelming technological advantage, then it's a perfectly valid strategy to tell your enemy you're going to crush them, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women. They might surrender without a fight, or at the very least when you begin your attack, many of them will flee rather than stand and fight.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Ika Musume S1 01-05: Cuteness... overload... what a formidable opponent this show is! It's so cute, I don't know how I'll manage against it!

RurouniZel

Ika Musume S1 06-07: ..heh heh... eheheh... cuteness... o..overload... ehehehehheheh. more... ika musume... needed.... cuteness... too much... eheheheh

Last Exile: Fam the Silver Wing 4-6 - Short version - This show is really good, I like it a lot. Fam is a good character too. My only real complaint is the nature of the threat -- I mean, the Ades are blatant Sky Nazis, and the main villaain a very generic movie/videogame-style psychopath villain. The villains in the original show were much more interesting than this guy, he's just kind of boring... it's just too predictably generic. And also, so the characters from the original show come back here just in time to get there for a war with sky nazis? How ... convenient. More like, how manufactured and not too believable outside of "it's a story, there needs to be conflict"... and also, there's no explanation for why technology here is exactly the same as on the other world, without a Guild to restrict it, darnit! Why don't they have radios? (I know, I've complained about that one before.) But yeah, despite a few issues, it's a very good show and is living up to my high expectations.

Eps. 4-5: In this episode we see Fam's
failed
effort to capture the Silvia, an independent, stealthy, and mysterious ship that seems to be opposing the Ades too.
It is captained by Tatiana of the first series, with Alister as her second in command, as expected. They defeat and capture Fam and Giselle, along with the Princess and her page (and Dio, but he, of course, is their old ... um, acquaintance). Tatiana's her usual somewhat arrogant self, but decides to allow the main characters to stay on the ship, provided that they capture 15 Ades ships for them, and without any help, or contact, with the pirate city. A tall order. This is a good episode; it shows that while Fam and the pirates are very skilled, the original series group on the Silvia (obviously the Silviana's successor) are better. It's nice to see them again. :) I wonder where Claus and Lavie are... not to mention the general populations of Anatoray and Disith. Giselle knows almost every ship of the past 100 years, apparently, but doesn't recognize the Silvia's vanships (of the style from the original series; Dio has one too of course). Are they hiding somewhere, or still on their Exile, or something? We don't know yet, clearly.

Then, in ep. 5 (though some of the above might have been in it too? I forget), we see
Fam's first attempt at capturing a new ship, along with the princess's first effort at re-founding her lost nation, except on the Sylvius now. Oh, and there's some with them on the ship too, looking around, meeting the crew, etc. Fam and Giselle -- well, in this case mostly Giselle, who successfully completely cons the Ades officer with fake orders -- manage to successfully steal their first Ades ship, and right out of an Ades base too. Good work, this part of the episode was good. The part with the princess was as usual not quite as good, though. See, Fam saw she was depressed, and cheered her up by saying that even though Turan has been annexed by the Ades and doesn't exist anymore, it does exist as long as she's around. That's true, pretty much, given that the monarch represents the nation... so, she goes about trying to convince the people on the ship to give her some territory, in her somewhat silly plan to annex the ship as the first part of a hew Turan. To do that, though... a maid dress, really? Oh come on, anime... that's stupid. It was kind of amusing how none of the guys on the ship fell for it, though. That almost made the costume worthwhile. :) In the end she succeeds at convincing them, though it was through words, not costumes. Good job, I guess. Oh, and the scenes with Tatiana, Alister, and Dio are good, and help progress the plot too. They can't help it but want to help out the kids (new MCs), huh? :) Oh, and there's one other thing in ep. 5 -- the aforementioned scene where the Ades annex Turan, and start moving their people into the now purged capital. It's their most blatant Nazi scene yet, with a very Hitler speech style setup. As I said at the top, the references couldn't be much more blatant, and it is overdone. Oh well, the show's very good anyway.

Ep. 6: This is the weakest episode of these three, I think. The actual race part was kind of mediocre, with little of the excitement of several of the races from the original show, which is a real disappointment, and the other element of the episode was even worse -- it's about the Sky Nazi villain (see the first paragraph of this post, he's so generic and predictably psychotic and evil... it's kind of dull.) killing a bunch of people, again
(Ades Federation nobility or something maybe?) who he claims are working with the Turan government in exile. They weren't, of course; they'd only had their ships stolen, apparently in between eps 5 and 6 mostly (Fam and the Sylvvius have captured eight ships now, up from one last episode), but it's not like this generic type movie villain cares about such things. He's just being evil for the sake of being evil pretty much.

Oh, it was funny how none of the Silvia crew bet on Fam... as she said at the end, bad decision. :)
Overall, it's an okay episode, but weaker than 4 or 5 are.

Here's the keyword: as far as we know. You have no idea about whether or not Fam has ever raced before. It isn't particularly made a point that this race is their first or anything else of the sort, but rather very little was actually said about it. There's alot of things, however, to suggest that Fam is very interested in racing. If this is the core of your argument, then I can't see how we know enough to make any judgement. I mean, isn't that what people like to see? Heroes surmounting the odds to win the day? What statistically should happen is different than what actually does happen. I don't see how that changes anything. What, you WANT to see Fam go all sulky and calm down or do you just have a problem with aggressive female characters? Fam's hotheadedness is her best character trait. Constantly punishing that, aside from frustrating the audience, gets old after not too long. Fam and company are
still in the custody of the Sylvius with a very difficult mission and it's not like they'd be able to get away alive as it were. This is a small victory to show their cleverness and tenacity, not to appeal to your more sadistic urges.
Good points indeed, and yeah, I don't want to see the heroes constantly fail. I really dislike that kind of thing... they're the main characters and heroes for a reason, they're supposed to succeed. They are up against long odds in this series, so it's important to show how competent they are, so that we can believe that they might actually win, despite being so overwhelmingly outnumbered by the Ades... and the show is doing exactly that.

And also, Fam had a significant failure just a couple of episodes ago,
in ep. 4 when she did not capture the Sylvius... I'd call that a failure. Not one with a lot of negative repercussions perhaps, but a failure.

And yeah, Fam's borderline-crazy daring is probably her best character trait, yes, particularly when combined with her obvious great skill that helps make her daring moves pay off.

I'm tired of this argument, so I'll give a quick rundown:

1) Alright you got me there, but she's not an experienced racer.
2) No it's not, plenty of people enjoy seeing heroes fail. Especially annoying heroes like Fam.
3) This is known as the classic anime ass pull. See Bleach for further information.
4) Yes I want to see Fam crushed and show that she isn't hot shit and that she can't rush into things expecting everything to turn out hunky dory.
5) No I don't have a problem with aggressive female characters, I have a problem with bad aggressive female characters like Fam.
6) No it's not, it's fairly annoying.
7) The audience hasn't been punished once, and even then they need to toughen up not everybody should be born a genius and at one point this shit needs to be acknowledged.
8) It's not really a difficult mission considering they already stole 8 ships.
9) I doubt the Silvius would kill them for trying to run away, maybe shoot them down but they wouldn't die.
10) She could have had a small victory, the thing that remains is that she shouldn't have had this victory. Nothing wrong with her winning she just has to have a believable chance of winning
1) She is however a very experienced pilot who knows how to race and has a huge interest in racing. That counts for far more than you're giving it credit for. Really, are you forgetting that Fam's dream is to see the Grand Race reborn, and to win that race? She is a very good pilot and her dream is to win the great race, and you think she's never raced before? What? That's absurd! I'm sure she's raced sometime, though they haven't mentioned it. And as for that race, she's consistently been shown to be an great pilot and has a fast, custom motorcycle-style Vanship, why in the world SHOULDN'T she be a candidate to win that race?
2) She's pretty much the opposite of an annoying hero.
3) Sure, because they're the heroes they are more likely to win, sure, but she won that race because she earned it, not just because of luck...
4) I would think the horrible events of the first two episodes would be plenty of death and destruction, why do you want EVERYONE in the show to be depressed failures or something? That's horrible. And anyway, Fam's far too good a pilot to fail that badly, fortunately (for things not going like how you want them to).
5) Fam is a good character and a strong lead, thinking that you think that way because you dislike strong female leads doesn't seem entirely unreasonable a reaction to her to me... and if that indeed isn't it, then why DO you dislike her so much? She is absolutely not at all a bad character! What in the world do you hate so much about her? She's every bit as good a character as Claus, and maybe better, but you seem to think he's far better for no reasons I've seen you state... Obviously opinion is important here, but what are your reasons then?
7) The audience has been punished repeatedly, unless you didn't watch episodes 1 and 2, or something?
8) After the massacre in ep. 6 though, I think that people might start getting a bit harder to rip off...
10) The competition was tough, but she won because she used a risky but rewarding strategy that paid off. Seems to me like she earned the win...

I'm complaining because this win wasn't a result of luck. They tried to justify the win because of her "strategy" that was risky. If she had won through dumb luck I wouldn't be complaining about it. Dumb luck was like how when Spike was fighting Pierrot there just happened to be a cat doll in one of the store's displays that disorientated him long enough for Spike to injure him and make him go batshit. It wasn't planned, he didn't know it was there. It was just pure dumb luck. If that cat wasn't there Spike would have died right then and there since he couldn't beat Pierrot in pure combat. Fam shouldn't have been able to win against the guy in a pure race, but she did because she conveniently thought of a strategy that could have backfired but of course it didn't because she's the main character. Right now I'm mad that it happened but I'm giving the show a chance to prove me wrong and that it's not all about friendship power. We'll see as the show goes on.
But she's been shown to use strategy before, such as when she captured that ship in ep. 1. Yes, they're often risky strategies, but they work... why should that not be strategy too? She had clearly been planning that move for a long time, it wasn't something she just thought up at the last moment. She was waiting for the last turn, so she could do that move and win, which is exactly what she did -- the plan worked perfectly.

doomed1 said:
Well then what are you complaining about then? If you knew she was going to win, and that her win was a result of luck, doesn't that make it more unrealistic to expect her to fail? Honestly speaking, this victory if anything sets up for a greater loss down the road. Heroes have to have their time of doubt, their true losses, but the series is a full season, so I wouldn't take the events of episode 6 too much to heart. If the show devolves into nothing but FAM: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC, then sure, I'll be on your side, but the season isn't even half-over yet, give it some time to build up first.
I agree, and yeah, given the degree of risks she takes, failure at some point is likely, sure. She did fail to take the Sylvius of course... but yeah, I imagine things will go badly for her at some point, in a series like this they are likely to.

But yeah, except for the somewhat lame villain, I definitely like the show quite a bit.

Dynedom

I feel very strongly against what you just said there, having a change of pace where the show focus on different characters is a huge plus for any show, it would get stale if it was revy all the time and her having no equal or any real threat against but fodder no face goons.

What your asking for is cookie cutter mediocre shounen/anime where it's the lead all the time and every time where all the side characters exist for the sole purpose of advance the protagonist story with no story to tell of their own.

You make it sound like Roberta was the focus in a lot episode she was just in 5ove eps and the 2 eps she was introduced in, out of 29 episodes.

Yes I have a huge problem when a completely unrealistic, over the top side character becomes a protagonist to a whole arc in a way which completely upsets the balance in a show and really does nothing of benefit to the established protagonists and story. While Revy was a gun-toting maniac, she had her limits (her superiors in skills) and is a perfect foil to Rock (who I think this show is really about). I don't mind if 2 characters get a lot of screen time as long as they get a chance to develop within that capacity, which is what this show was doing.

Roberta was a distraction. She was a sideline character who seemed to be brought back just for ratings. Her antics were already bordering on the unrealistic in her first arc. It's like they brought her in to cash in on a psycho-maid fetish and just upped the ridiculousness.
Dismantling a chainsaw with her guns, biting through a knife. I dunno, this whole 'character seemingly invincible against everything when she's uber pissed off'
is more shounen than anything you're accusing me of wanting. She may have developed herself but in the grand scheme of things, she's a side character. She's not in Roanapur. She didn't really help to develop anyone else (certainly not Revy who was her foil in the first arc). Maybe she matured Garcia but again, non-Roanapur side character.

The only character who might have developed in this arc in a decent way was Rock and it wasn't even all that convincing and certainly didn't need the Hollywood theater that came with it. There are plenty of ways to portray a psychotic soldier without resorting to ridiculous theatrics and "god modes". It's a cheap cop out and seems to lack any sort of creativity.

Focusing on someone like Balalika during the Twins arc or Rock during the Tokyo arc are more beneficial to the show. The former helps establish Hotel Moscow's presence and importance in the grand story, something the characters of BL have to deal with on a regular basis. The Tokyo arc built on that, with Balalaika and Rock interacting. It was one of the most important arcs for that very reason, doubly so because
it ended in Rock failing and perhaps the start of his major development that I talked about before.

The only thing I can possibly thank the Roberta arc for is Rock's further development and only if, on a second viewing, I can see it actually being done well (this again might be a case of the manga simply doing it better than the anime). Does that mean the arc couldn't have been done better? Absolutely not.

Ezalc

I don't mean to be a dick but, you're late on this. And as it shows with the back and forth I had with doomed, I got tired of this argument but I guess I can address at least one point. There's plenty of reasons why I dislike Fam and why she's an annoying character. Why she's a terrible one, so far, as well. I don't dislike strong female leads, the Major is a great character and she's basically THE strong female anime character. Fam isn't a strong lead, she's just another generic overly optimistic hot headed protagonist. Whether she's female or not makes no difference to me. I already explained this, I didn't like Gon in the beginning of HxH either. But after I saw his reaction to seeing Hisoka that started to change. I thnk the issue here is that I hate cocky characters who don't have any right to be cocky or at least who don't do anything but be cocky. That's Fam and that's why she's annoying, and that's why she's a bad character. She's a 15 year old little girl who thinks she's hot shit and takes risks that could have been totally avoided. So until she learns that she isn't the super ace pilot she thinks she is, and I mean I want that shit burned into her character then I won't like her. Simple as that.

RurouniZel

one of us

one of us

LOL. Yes, I've been converted in full. ^^ Though I like how while everyone else magically accepts Ika Musume, it helps there is one straight (wo)man in the form of Nagisa. Also, the creepy photo-fetish girl who will don a shrimp costume for her beloved(?) is pretty amusing.

And then there's Chizuru. Oh man, Chizuru. She's amazing too! XD

The action is pretty consistent fortunately, at least always at the arc climaxes. I think they upped the budget around the time of the Jellal fight because it's noticeably well animated as is the Laxus fight in the following arc.

I like how they handle the action, made it up to the start of Curst Island, apart from reusing the same battle animations in the same episodes (though Erza's requipping animation never gets old), and they actually make Ice Make magic from Gray pretty impressive.

Bakuman eng dub ep 1-7

Seems to be a lot less energy then it was in the JPN audio version, however I like most of the actors chosen...Orihime's voice for Miho is perfect, and Eiji and Yujiro are exactly as I imagine. Hattori sounds much younger in english than he did in JPN. I like both equally. A shame they just only decided to do a DVD release and not Blu-ray.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
She's a 15 year old little girl who thinks she's hot shit and takes risks that could have been totally avoided. So until she learns that she isn't the super ace pilot she thinks she is, and I mean I want that shit burned into her character then I won't like her. Simple as that.
Jesus, projecting much? Sounds like you're being pissed at more than just Fam being hot shit. A character being maliciously cocky, I can see where you're coming from, but Fam is just so optimistically cocky, it's endearing. I can't possibly see how you can think that Fam's innocent gung-ho attitude is so deplorable, irregardless of the risks she takes. Is there something you want to talk about with the rest of us?

Hanasaku Iroha 21

I like the wedding plotline. Takako has become a lot more tolerable since her first introduction. Her scene with Grandma and the flashback it encloses are really good, probably my favorite scene outside the first episode and the Tokyo arc. But this episode also threw in that quasi-love triangle nonsense and a fanservice sequence which is just... Fortunately it ends with its strongest moment that has me really looking forward to the next episode.

Mirai Nikki 07:

This is the first episode of the series which I watched after reading the material in the manga already. As was expected from the previous 6 episodes, this anime remains a very faithful adaptation of the source material. 3 chapters were condensed into this episode, but the anime staff did a good job of keeping what was important.

Yuno's approach to everything is decidedly simple-minded, but her approach is usually the correct one. So far, all Yukki has done when he tries to prevent Yuno from killing someone is make things more difficult, complicated, and drawn out. His actions are actually endangering the people around him, not to mention himself and Yuno. Especially himself, so far all of the defeated diary owners would have killed Yukki were it not for Yuno's interference on his behalf. The result remains the same in the end. He needs to trust Yuno a bit more, when Yuno decides someone needs to be killed, she is generally correct. Conversely, Yuno needs to trust Yukki a bit more, when he's trying to find non-violent solutions to a problem, he's only trying to prevent other people from being hurt.

Apparently it's not allowed for
the killing of a child
to be shown on TV anymore, as it's censored out in this episode. It was just fine to show it a few years ago when Higurashi aired. Sigh.

RurouniZel

Ika Musuma S1 10-12: This was a pure delight! Loved every second. I have to stop now, or I won't sleep. >_>

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Apparently it's not allowed for
the killing of a child
to be shown on TV anymore, as it's censored out in this episode. It was just fine to show it a few years ago when Higurashi aired. Sigh.

I wouldn't read too much into it. They did the same for that terrorist lady's eyesocket and
6th's arm
. Censoring the gore seems to be the general modus operandi here.

Hanasaku Iroha 22

Thank God, they finally got the Minchi-Tohru thing out into the open. That was bugging me so much. It should be over and done with now that the show appears to be gearing up for a push to the finale. This is going to be good, I can feel it. Looks like Ohana's returning to Tokyo next episode, and that's a good sign.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Ika Musume S1 08-09: I'm okay now. I have a new favorite cute show though. :)

Nice. I enjoy this show a lot although S2 isn't really as good as S1 was. It's just a really cute show, people who hate on poor Ika don't have an inkling of love within their hearts.

Another has been lost to the dark side. I think I am the last bastion of hope left.

:(

One day you will sea the light.

Ezalc

Jesus, projecting much? Sounds like you're being pissed at more than just Fam being hot shit. A character being maliciously cocky, I can see where you're coming from, but Fam is just so optimistically cocky, it's endearing. I can't possibly see how you can think that Fam's innocent gung-ho attitude is so deplorable, irregardless of the risks she takes. Is there something you want to talk about with the rest of us?

Yes, I'm projecting because of the fact that some non-existent 15 year old little girl is a good pilot of a non-existent vehicle. I hate these types of characters, nothing about Fam is endearing to me because it's been done to death in anime. She's that innocent little girl, who's stubborn, and optimistic! Oh and she's a really good pilot, even better than most adults because that's possible in anime. Let's not forget that she's not afraid of aaaanything! She's so cute and bubbly and silly, clearly we should all love her to bits.

No, fuck that shit. I hate these type of protagonists. Ignoring the tired children are somehow better than adults at something that takes time and insane amounts of practice and experience aspect of anime. Let's look at everything else.

She's cocky. I already don't like cocky characters, or at least most of them until they convince me otherwise. Cocky characters need to have that one moment when they realize that they aren't hot shit. All the good cocky characters have gone through this. Kamina, Spike, Roger Smith and even then the examples I listed two aren't even cocky in the same sense that Fam is, which is that blind cockyness that she exhibits so far. There's no way that being optimistically cocky can be endearing. Because it takes two traits I find annoying and puts them together without ever validating either one.

She's optimistic. It's a classic feeling for somebody who's not an optimist to want to see one be brought down to their level or to stop with all the smiles all the time. It's not something new. Eugene from Hey Arnold had an episode or some dialogue centered around this. Why would you want to see somebody suffer? Because it shows that they aren't perfect. That they have their weaknesses, their flaws, their faults and that moment of weakness makes them more endearing than the thousands of smiles they feel the need to slap on their face every time they appear. It makes the character more believable and relatable than their bullshit everything is perfect routine.

Innocence. Alright she's an air pirate. So she's already a criminal and she's aware of this but she's "innocent" yeah no. Stop with that shit, makes her seem like she's running away from facing the fact that she's a criminal. She shouldn't be innocent by any means, and yet again anime makes her innocent and kind of a clumsy girl to try and make her look cute. Which totally fails as it makes me just completely hate her character more so than usual.

That's why I don't like her. That's why she's not endearing in any way or shape or form. That's why I want to see her fail so I can grow to like her. So I can see her character become somebody I could possibly see as an actual person. Right now Fam is just another throwaway protagonist designed to appeal to the whole loli moe shit that's common in anime. Fam isn't badass, she isn't cute or silly, or a good character in the least. She has no depth whatsoever besides being generic innocent little hot headed girl character #5497854.

Finally, you sound like a pretentious dick with that projecting line. So please skip this fake psychologist crap next time, no offense.

:(

One day you will sea the light.

Maybe one day after I finish eating some calamari pasta I'll understand you people.

Ezalc

Damn Ezalc, why you mad? Go watch something dark and violent to unwind, geez.

Nothing pisses me off more than somebody coming across like some know-it-all. I'm sorry for being like that but yeah that projecting bit got my blood boiling. I'm just listening to some chill music, I'm not even mad at anything else it was just the way he worded his post that set me off. Once again, I apologize.

Jex

If your strategy is to intimidate your enemy first before you attack them, then yes. There is precedent in historical wars on Earth where precisely this was done. If you know your enemy's morale is low, or their army is conscripted or enslaved, or you have an overwhelming technological advantage, then it's a perfectly valid strategy to tell your enemy you're going to crush them, see them driven before you, and hear the lamentations of their women. They might surrender without a fight, or at the very least when you begin your attack, many of them will flee rather than stand and fight.

No one cares about puny Earth wars. This is about SPACE.

I don't mean to be a dick but, you're late on this.
It's about the most recent episode and your conversation kind of stopped in the middle, so no.

And as it shows with the back and forth I had with doomed, I got tired of this argument but I guess I can address at least one point. There's plenty of reasons why I dislike Fam and why she's an annoying character. Why she's a terrible one, so far, as well. I don't dislike strong female leads, the Major is a great character and she's basically THE strong female anime character. Fam isn't a strong lead, she's just another generic overly optimistic hot headed protagonist. Whether she's female or not makes no difference to me. I already explained this, I didn't like Gon in the beginning of HxH either. But after I saw his reaction to seeing Hisoka that started to change. I thnk the issue here is that I hate cocky characters who don't have any right to be cocky or at least who don't do anything but be cocky. That's Fam and that's why she's annoying, and that's why she's a bad character. She's a 15 year old little girl who thinks she's hot shit and takes risks that could have been totally avoided. So until she learns that she isn't the super ace pilot she thinks she is, and I mean I want that shit burned into her character then I won't like her. Simple as that.
She IS the ace pilot she thinks she is, so that is why you're wrong. She's confident and optimistic partially because she is an optimist, or wants to be (note how she keeps trying to cheer up the Princess, she's trying to not leave her wallowing in depression, which is certainly a good thing; if they want to succeed at stopping the Ades Federation the Princess will surely be important, and she wants to help her out and make her happier too, after what she went through in the first few episodes -- all good motivations), and partially because she has the skill and ability to back up her words with actions. You just hate her ... because. Because you hate optimistic characters, I guess? That's too bad...

Oh, and I haven't seen Hunter x Hunter, so that comparison doesn't mean anything to me.

Heh... yeah, I just can't see how anyone could hate her that much either.

Elzac said:
Yes, I'm projecting because of the fact that some non-existent 15 year old little girl is a good pilot of a non-existent vehicle. I hate these types of characters, nothing about Fam is endearing to me because it's been done to death in anime. She's that innocent little girl, who's stubborn, and optimistic! Oh and she's a really good pilot, even better than most adults because that's possible in anime. Let's not forget that she's not afraid of aaaanything! She's so cute and bubbly and silly, clearly we should all love her to bits.

No, fuck that shit. I hate these type of protagonists. Ignoring the tired children are somehow better than adults at something that takes time and insane amounts of practice and experience aspect of anime. Let's look at everything else.
So are people like you why anime main characters are usually incompentent, stupid fools who through some miracle actually are good fighters? Because I hate that kind of character. It's always great when anime actually has a competent lead... incompetent ones are the rule, generally.

So no, this kind of character really isn't usually the main character. Look at Claus, he was a more typical lead, and that's why he was more annoying than Fam is... the optimistic and cheery character is usually some side character, not the lead, and not as competent as she is!

And yes, she's cute and bubbly, and also has spent a lot of time training, clearly. As for being better than adults... she's better than some of them, sure, but not all (
Tatiana beat her, obviously
).

She's cocky. I already don't like cocky characters, or at least most of them until they convince me otherwise. Cocky characters need to have that one moment when they realize that they aren't hot shit. All the good cocky characters have gone through this. Kamina, Spike, Roger Smith and even then the examples I listed two aren't even cocky in the same sense that Fam is, which is that blind cockyness that she exhibits so far. There's no way that being optimistically cocky can be endearing. Because it takes two traits I find annoying and puts them together without ever validating either one.
So in your world, it's impossible for people to actually be competent. Check.

She's optimistic. It's a classic feeling for somebody who's not an optimist to want to see one be brought down to their level or to stop with all the smiles all the time. It's not something new. Eugene from Hey Arnold had an episode or some dialogue centered around this. Why would you want to see somebody suffer? Because it shows that they aren't perfect. That they have their weaknesses, their flaws, their faults and that moment of weakness makes them more endearing than the thousands of smiles they feel the need to slap on their face every time they appear. It makes the character more believable and relatable than their bullshit everything is perfect routine.
As I said in my last post, she has failed, why do you think
she's on that ship and not still at her home with the pirates?
Because they didn't succeed that time. So no, she isn't perfect. As for wanting happy people to suffer... that's cruel. And anyway, as I've said repeatedly, this show is not exactly light on showing suffering, and it certainly has affected Fam (
Remember that she doesn't have any family, etc.
; she just doesn't let it get to her like the Princess does. On that note, the Princess is definitely somewhat annoying, but Fam? No.

Oh, and how about
when in ep. 5 they conned that Ades guy into giving them his ship, pretty much? Fam almost blew the whole thing, it was Giselle who saved the day there... Fam's a good pilot, not so good spy. :)

Innocence. Alright she's an air pirate. So she's already a criminal and she's aware of this but she's "innocent" yeah no. Stop with that shit, makes her seem like she's running away from facing the fact that she's a criminal. She shouldn't be innocent by any means, and yet again anime makes her innocent and kind of a clumsy girl to try and make her look cute. Which totally fails as it makes me just completely hate her character more so than usual.
Remember, these are Skies of Arcadia-esque "Air Pirates" that conveniently only target enemy ships, not civilian ones... unrealistic, yes, but "good pirates" are quite common in just about everything with pirates in them, so that's not exactly uncommon.
And the explanation that most of the pirates actually are escapees from the places Ades Federation destroyed actually gives them some motivation for wanting to target the Ades, too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom