• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hanasaku Iroha 23

Wow, Takako is quite impressive,
suplexing that director like a pro.

Hanasaku Iroha 24

The direction in this episode is noticeably stronger than we've had in a long time. The use of lighting and framing, the callback to the first episode with the playground scene, the door cutting off Ohana from Kissuiso at the end - all quite special. So much was packed into this episode too, I could hardly believe it. I was going to complain about the fanservice spring scene, but it was more tasteful than last time and
Grandma's entrance totally sold everything. She's so great.
It took a while, but I'm finally loving this show again.

I'd even consider watching LOGH if it wasn't, you know, really goddamned long. I tried to watch it on Wikipedia but the entry only made it seem even longer.

You can watch 110 episodes of 10 shitty shows or 110 episodes of 1 excellent show - the choice is yours!

Jex

[Anne of Green Gables 40]

anne40.jpg

I was concerned with what kind of content they'd cover next in this series, considering how many things they have covered, but I guess I have nothing to worry about. I really like how the show feels like it's changed over the course of it's run, it nicely mirrors the change in the central protagonist in a manner which is distinct.

Perhaps you might argue that it's kind of tiresome to see the same story formula where: Anne go through some trouble but then always come out - but it really hasn't bothered me that much in 40 episodes.

hosannainexcelsis said:
You can watch 110 episodes of 10 shitty shows or 110 episodes of 1 excellent show - the choice is yours!

This is definitely a life rule, applicable in far more situations than this one.

Jex

Chihayafuru 8

chihaya8.jpg

How do you make Karuta interesting, both from a story and direction stand point? I don't really know, but I'm certain that it takes a lot of work. Especially with the repetitious nature of the game itself: there's only so many interesting ways to frame a match with the camera, and only so many times can you quick-cut to Chihaya snatching a card away.

Anyway, I find it hard to believe that they're having this much trouble trying to form a club: surely the presence of either Chihaya or Taichi would attract some people who would at least pretend to be interested in Karuta.

Jex

Maybe that's an indication of how boring Karuta is. Not even a supermodel can save it.
It really remains to be seen. I think a boring supermodel would have a hard time saving it, but Chihaya is full to the brim with manic, slightly too manic, passion for her chosen 'sport'. That's enough, for now.

Hanasaku Iroha 25-26

Wow. I know people have been praising the ending, but I didn't expect it to be this strong. All the characters and their development were brought together into a satisfying and well-earned climax. All the issues people have been struggling with over the course of the show have been worked through, and the way forward has been decided. The direction was very emotionally effective and atmospheric, particularly in the last episode (thank you, Masahiro Ando!). I was moved.

Some people say the journey is more important than the destination, but when I watch something like this I can't agree. Hanasaku Iroha had quite a few weak episodes, but was held up by a strong opening, a strong midpoint, and especially a strong conclusion. I'd much rather that than shows that are strong almost all the way through, but then completely let down my expectations at the end. When I finish a story, I want to feel like I spent my time on something worthwhile. Thankfully, Hanasaku Iroha ended up being just that.

So I just finished watching My Bride is a Mermaid. Hands down the funniest anime I've ever seen. I loved pretty much everything about it.

I wouldn't go so far as to call it the funniest anime I've ever seen (that'd be Gintama, for the record), but My Bride is a Mermaid is a lot of fun. You can tell the staff enjoyed making it. Almost certainly Seiji Kishi's best work.

mAcOdIn

LOL. Yes, I've been converted in full. ^^ Though I like how while everyone else magically accepts Ika Musume, it helps there is one straight (wo)man in the form of Nagisa. Also, the creepy photo-fetish girl who will don a shrimp costume for her beloved(?) is pretty amusing.

And then there's Chizuru. Oh man, Chizuru. She's amazing too! XD
Nagisa's the best character in the show and sadly she gets the least screen time. If she was in it more I'd rank Squid Girl much higher but with her in it as little as she is I have to dock the second season a few points.

Kamisama Dolls 7

I wasn't expecting the backstory to be as dark and twisted as it turned out to be. Certainly the strongest the story has been so far. The direction is pretty good, if a little too reliant on shadows, but the animation is getting "Brain's Base"d - faces are inconsistent and movement feels rough - which is a shame. Actually the real shame is that I can even say that; Brain's Base spread themselves much too thin this year. I hope they straighten themselves out in time for the next season of Natsume.

Lain

Beelzebub 43

This is so bad that ends up being amusing in its own way. So much time wasting, so much lazy art.

Chihayafuru 8

This, on the other hand, is so great! I like how Chihaya keeps
calling Nishida porky over and over, which, in a way, helps in goading him a little into playing.
It's really nice how, 8 episodes in, a boring game like Karuta is still interesting to follow when Chihaya is playing it.

cajunator

Banned
How could you forget the Precure series. D:

Here's one of a bunch of youtube clips, showing the history of the magical girl anime. Sailormoon pionneered the "sentai" team aspect of the magical girl genre, then there's a huge boom from then on of other studio's trying to replicate it.

This is a awesome group of vids. thank you.
Damn I have seen a hell of a lot of these too.

Sorry I haven't been moeing up the thread more, I have been possessed by Zelda Skyward Sword lately.

cajunator

Banned
It warms my struggling little heart to see more Squiddy fans in here.
I really ink we'll sea more come out of the woodwork as time goes on. Something about the show really hooks you.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
It warms my struggling little heart to see more Squiddy fans in here.
I really ink we'll sea more come out of the woodwork as time goes on. Something about the show really hooks you.

Honestly, the only reason I put off watching the show for so long was because I KNEW that once I started, I'd lose an entire day. As such, I ended up sacrificing yesterday to my new Squid Overlords. There was no Zelda. D:

I shall remedy this today.

cajunator

Banned
If only the Saints played today it woulds complete the trifecta.
I have taken a little break from Zelda and anime and my relatives from up North want to watch Avatar. They have never seen it.

RurouniZel

If only the Saints played today it woulds complete the trifecta.
I have taken a little break from Zelda and anime and my relatives from up North want to watch Avatar. They have never seen it.

A Saints game today would have been perfect, yes. Surprised they've never seen Avatar, but I hope you have fun! My little sister is visiting from DC and my older sister and I are doing what we can to convert her to the Professor Layton camp. :p In addition to football that is.

Yesterday was the first day of the physical computing class for me. And after buying an Arduino board with some accessories I found this:

nspWZ.jpg

Now are even microcontroller moe. Too bad the boards are Comiket exclusive

RurouniZel

Yesterday was the first day of a physical computing class for me. And after buying an Arduino board with some accessories I found this:

nspWZ.jpg

Now are even microcontroller moe. Too bad the boards are Comiket exclusive

That is all sorts of amazing. It never ends!

cajunator

Banned
A Saints game today would have been perfect, yes. Surprised they've never seen Avatar, but I hope you have fun! My little sister is visiting from DC and my older sister and I are doing what we can to convert her to the Professor Layton camp. :p In addition to football that is.

Yeah they are actually from the DC area too. specifically Fairfax.
They actually want to move down here to Louisiana. Would be pretty awesome.

Lain

Kamisama no Memochou 9-12

Finished this after a long break. I don't have many nice things to say about it. I disliked the main character's personality (too much of a pushover), I disliked many of the interactions between the characters and I disliked the direction most of the time.
At the end of episode 10, when
Ayaka jumps off
I started feeling a bit sad, as it should be, but then episode 11 rolls around and I'm shown that
Ayaka didn't die, which lessened the emotional hit and actually made me laugh during the dramatic moments of episode 11 and most of 12 because I didn't feel too much of a connection and actually thought the actions and reactions of the group to be somewhat ridiculous.
Yet, the closing images of episode 12 weren't too bad
with the flower blooming and Ayaka waking up. I didn't like Ayaka "just" being in a coma, but while that ruined a bit of the drama in the last 3 episodes for me, it worked with last scene.
In the end, the show had some nice tunes, a few OK moments, a hot woman or two but it wasn't all that entertaining to follow.

RurouniZel

how is it amazing? a chibi moe character printed on a circuit board?
am i missing something?

I dunno, just took me off guard 'cause I've never seen an imprint on a motherboard that wasn't a small bit of text or something.

Daily Lives of High School Boys Pre-Airing

Quite amusing. The comedy comes primarily from the writing and the voice acting, though there is some classic visual comedy in the skirts segment. The only problem is that hearing Tomokazu Sugita and Kenichi Suzumura here strongly reminds me of Gintama - but is that really a problem? If this is indicative of the show, it should be a blast.

Articalys

Sket Dance 34

One story with amazingly bad art from Roman, and one with the clumsy Onee-san. Next week looks like they're combining both of the quiz challenge chapters, so that should be kind of fun.
And, if my calculations are correct, after this one they'll have used up all the stories before the next backstory arc and have no choice but to do it next. I hope...

Instro

Daily Lives of High School Boys Pre-Airing

Quite amusing. The comedy comes primarily from the writing and the voice acting, though there is some classic visual comedy in the skirts segment. The only problem is that hearing Tomokazu Sugita and Kenichi Suzumura here strongly reminds me of Gintama - but is that really a problem? If this is indicative of the show, it should be a blast.

Well its the same director too so the Gintama feeling fits pretty well.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Ojousama Childhood Yaoi MILF Tsundere All of the Above Crown 07: Every fucking mecha series did it first.

I can't stop watching. Shit looks choppy, feels predictable, but everything is so flashy. :( Plus, oppai.

EDIT: Fucking Final Fantasy VIII did it first too!

Anne of Green Gables 4

This is the first episode where the anime adds in substantial new material that wasn't in the book. The padding is a bit hit-and-miss - I can see why they wanted to add in the scene with the random housewife, to break up what would otherwise be an episode of one monologue, but Marilla's conversation with her felt clunky. It retreaded what we already knew and the housewife's statements about how pitiful Anne were a too obvious appeal for Marilla to change her mind. Also, Anne's running away felt a bit out of character since she had already made up her mind to face the ride to White Sands. Anne explaining her past worked better, giving Marilla a little more to do and allowing her slowly altering opinion towards Anne to come out naturally. The relaxed pace worked well, allowing the tragic elements to sink in but keeping them from becoming melodramatic. It helps that there are some beautiful natural landscapes to look at instead of just two people in a carriage.

So far the adaptation has been doing 1 chapter per episode, but since there are 50 episodes and only 38 chapters, they'll have to slow down the pace sooner or later. Hopefully the show can keep up the quality when that happens.

Well its the same director too so the Gintama feeling fits pretty well.

The promotional text even uses the same font and layout as Gintama's opening and closing text.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom