• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
You know what I just realized?

Black Friday shopping is like real-life Ben-to.
I am a wolf, and come out with the honor seal every year.
Maybe i'll get a nom de guerre.

I just slept in till 4 in the morning, drove to BB picked up UC3 and some cheap blu-rays, walked to GS and bought some games on sale and walked out with basically nobody else in the store.

That's like the logical thing to do.

Kind of like how people should just buy the bentos when they are at full price. I'd imagine the hospital and dental bills, not to mention the whole they should be arrested thing, cost a hell lot more money then saving a couple hundred yen on a damn boxed lunch.

so is only Another watchable? That's pretty sad

Talk about jumping to conclusions.

Honestly, Another looks kind of ugly in its PV and I'm skeptical about how good it will turn out to be. The only shows next season that I feel confident will be quality are Daily Lives of High School Boys and Natsume - if Brain's Base can get their shit together that is.

scy

Damn, haven't kept up with this topic for days wonder what...

Papa no Iu Koto wo Kikinasai!

ftLG4.jpg

...alrighty then.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
You forgot the most important bit:

Actually the most important part is
They already explained in one of the summaries that the two older girls were his sister's step daughters
so instead of being double fucked up if he ends up with one, it will just be fucked up. Now if he ends up with the young one, that will be double triple fucked up.

7Th

Rider and Waver prove, once again, that they are the main reason to watch the show.
Team Kayneth is the worst team and even the animators are perfectly aware of it.

Rider and Waver prove, once again, that they are the main reason to watch the show.
Team Kayneth is the worst team and even the animators are perfectly aware of it.

I hope he beats the odds and excels beyond the designation of third rate mage. My favorite team second to Irisviel and Saber excluding Kiritsugu.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I can feel my soul slowly and bitterly dying in the corner in fetal position. College student/middle schooler brother sister incest romance with pederastic incestual undertones, all within the context of a comedy. Why in God's name are these people even ANIMATING this?

And now that focus of incest is a Kugiloli, so now I know I'm going to watch at least the first episode. And I'm probably required to like it too. I hate myself and this series hasn't even started yet! D:<

This plus that "loli but not loli, bishie but really shota" show is really going to make me question the purpose of continuing life...

Well at least you are saved from one thing. Kugimiya isn't in this show.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
Well at least you are saved from one thing. Kugimiya isn't in this show.

Oh God! Now I don't actually have to like it! That is so freeing! How did I mess that shit up in the first place. Clearly someone quoted two different things with two different contexts. Now I can look down on this show with cool academic detachment. Besides, that "Loli but not loli, bishie but really shota" show looks like a riot if they don't exploit the loli but not loli angle too much. The bishie but really shota aspect honestly sounds hilarious to me.

Anime is saved! :D

Jex

Fate/Zero 8

It's nice to watch a really consistent show for once. It's say to say it, but it's rare to see a show that has good direction/animation for most of it's run. I know that being rather inconsistent is just the nature of the beast when it comes to tv anime, but it's still irksome.

So far so good, everything is being developed very traditionally, as far as plot and characters go. There's nothing wrong with that, as such, because so few works these days are going for the standard, consistent approach. I do feel that it becomes a tad tiresome when
every battle ends with a draw and/or people being brutally wounded but surviving anyway.

Mawaru Penguindrum 20:
It feels silly to just reiterate how amazing this show is each week, but dude, this show is amazing! Ikuhara manages to completely surprise me each week with both the plot twists as well as all of the symbolism. I feel like I need to rewatch the entire series once it is finished, because there's just so much stuff which is going to change what I see from the earlier episodes.

Jex

[Hajime No Akage no Anne 42]

Anne finds that image training is the best way to get her totally pumped!

In all serious, this show needs to stop making me all emotional. It did a pretty great job capturing that
'moving away from home to study'
for the first time feeling, and it did so both from the perspective of the parent and the child. Powerful, brilliant stuff.

Man, that Josie Pye is a real bitch, pardon my language. It really seems like Anne should have laid into her awhile back, but the fact that she keeps putting up with her shit is baffling. I guess there has to be some recurring character that you're surprised to dislike, because Gilbert is too busy being a solid rival, as opposed to someone of low character.

I wonder how much more of Anne's story we can possibly cover in this anime series.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I just realized that we have been talking about anime for the past 16000 posts.

16000, let that number sink in.

And this is hardly the first anime thread.

Jex

I think...I think it's really for the best that we don't dwell on that. After all, that would lead to less time for anime.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

I mean I don't want to say anything but

Jexhius 1,025
cajunator 629
Branduil 582
PdotMichael 579
Regulus Tera 487
trejo 460
firehawk12 460
zeroshiki 454

WALL OF SHAME

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I used to be up there.

Now I'm clean, I'M CLEAN.

Jex

[On Penguin Drum 20's Background Art...]

Now Mamoru Oshii has said a lot of things in the past that are rather memorable. However, that's no reason to assume that everything he says is totally crazy and worthless, for example in his discussion of RahXephon Oshii has some pretty astute things to say about background art and the role it plays in anime. I quote:

Mamorou Oshii said:
Right now, in anime, there's a real shortage of designers who do artistic designs, which are absolutely necessary to work in the details. When a room like this is shown, it's really just a box and there's nothing to it. You don't feel anything from the room, and it's just a backdrop. The story part and the world part are completely separate.

When you do that, the sentiments just run idle, and the story that you're supposed to be telling loses its edge and becomes empty.
Leaving aside for now the idea of a 'skills shortage' I'd hope that we can all agree that background art can tell a pretty important role in telling a story visually. As such, I feel that it's worth nothing whenever a work does a particular good job in that department.

This weeks episode of Penguin Drum succeeded in creating a powerful sense of tone and place just through the manner in which it was presented to the audience. Coupled with the events of the episode itself I certainly felt trapped in a barren, oppressive, uniform and ultimately loveless environment. Great stuff.

penguin20bga1.jpg

penguin20bga2.jpg

penguin20bga3.jpg

penguin20bga4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom