• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

BluWacky

For the two of you that may be interested, I went to the BFI's onedotzero festival Japanese segment in London this evening, which showcased contemporary short films, music videos etc.

Several of the films were very digital (and two were particularly terrible CG anime knockoffs set to generic J-Rock) but for some slightly off beat anime stuff you might like to watch the following:

The PV to Azuma Hitomi's Kirakira (you may remember her from singing the OP and ED to Fractale). Apparently this uses an old animation technique known as Phenakistoscope to create the illusion of motion.
Kouske Sugimoto's The TV Show - this is particularly good and accessible, a very fun short film about what happens when TV shows collide.
The PV for Mr Children's Hana no Nioi - this is the most digital one of these three and is fairly predictable, but it's quite stylish and has some nice moments.

The Barbican is showing Onigamiden ("Legend of the Millennium Dragon", I believe is its English title) tomorrow afternoon - the phrase "from the director of Spriggan!" is an ominous sign...

duckroll

Fate/Zero Ep9

This is my new favorite episode. The character interactions, the dramatic turns, the way the show builds connections between characters and develops relationships. SO GOOD. This week's art is extra good too, and most of the character close ups looked gorgeous. The direction of the episode and how it weaved various elements of the story together were masterful. Goddamn.

Working'!! 9

Even with the focus on individual characters each episode has - for instance, this episode can be divided into an A story about Yachiko and a B story about Yamada - this show manages to keep juggling all its characters both within each episode and over the course of the series so that no one shtick gets old. Considering that the material they have to work with can easily run into that danger, I have to give my complements to those working on the anime.

Instro

Fate/Zero Ep9

This is my new favorite episode. The character interactions, the dramatic turns, the way the show builds connections between characters and develops relationships. SO GOOD. This week's art is extra good too, and most of the character close ups looked gorgeous. The direction of the episode and how it weaved various elements of the story together were masterful. Goddamn.

Just watched it and I totally agree.
The inclusion of Lancer's "legend" was a nice touch as well.

iavi

Working'!! 9

Really, this show is so damn consistent. I have to admit, I've come to just expect a certain level of quality from this season's edition of Working, and to have that delivered week in and week out does fucking own. Fun stuff. The salty cellshop clerk was not just funny, but so spot on. Satou needs to gather all the mojo in his ballsack. The connecting of the dots between
Takanashi's slutty magic'd sister & Kyouko's male underling
made for, and probably will continue to make for, a fun bunch of interactions. And Takanashi's harem got that surprising +1... How long until the misunderstandings?

I'm absolutely loving Working'!!. Souma and Yamada keep getting better.

I haven't been too hot for the female Yamada until this ep, ironically enough. Her
trap card troll on Takanashi
towards the beginning of this most recent ep was the first time they actually got a good lol out of me with her.

trejo

Working'!! 9

Even with the focus on individual characters each episode has - for instance, this episode can be divided into an A story about Yachiko and a B story about Yamada - this show manages to keep juggling all its characters both within each episode and over the course of the series so that no one shtick gets old. Considering that the material they have to work with can easily run into that danger, I have to give my complements to those working on the anime.

Except Takanashi's and Inami's got old a while ago. Thankfully, this season they've avoided overusing Inami's androphobia as much as in the first one and have instead blended it well within each episode. Not quite so for Takanashi.

Except Takanashi's and Inami's got old a while ago. Thankfully, this season they've avoided overusing Inami's androphobia as much as in the first one and have instead blended it well within each episode. Not quite so for Takanashi.

Having only seen this current season, neither Inami nor Takanashi have gotten old for me. In fact, Takanashi is consistently my second favorite character to watch, behind Soma.

Persona 4: The Animation - 7://Vaguely flamingly violating heteronormative societal expectations may be hazardous to your health

Random cultural collision moment: Apparently being gay is hilariously funny in Japan. Well, this episode was pretty goddamned hilarious.

The funny moments just kept piling up:
Yu and Brosuke not wanting to go into the bathhouse, and always trying to turn around and leave. Teddie not understanding why they were afraid to go inside the boss room. Yukiko getting pissed off, she's pretty hot when she's mad. Shadow Kanji was just about the funniest he could possibly have been. The boss fight was awesome, with the two guys feeling poor Yu and Brosuke up, and then the one guy was like "Such a vulgar red!" and then for some reason the other guy was perfectly okay with Chie. I guess Chie was manly enough for Shadow Kanji. Poor Chie. And then Kanji himself delivering the sucker punch straight into his shadow's crotch to defeat him.

Great episode. Poor Kanji, he didn't survive the adaptation from game to anime with his pride intact. In fact, it got smashed into a million pieces. It was funny though.

Dresden

Having only seen this current season, neither Inami nor Takanashi have gotten old for me. In fact, Takanashi is consistently my second favorite character to watch, behind Soma.

Not up to date with Wagnaria 2, but I'd say Yamada is more likely to get old than Takanashi.

For me almost all their schticks are getting tiring though. Except for Souma and Sota, because they're bros.

iavi

This season's Takanashi is a vastly different Takanashi from last season's, same with Inami, same with their coupling. Even if you saw the previous season, I doubt it'd do you in any negative manner.

Dresden

How are they vastly different? The only real progress that any character has made is that Inami is less likely to break someone's face in.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
How are they vastly different? The only real progress that any character has made is that Inami is less likely to break someone's face in.

Reduced roles. Not really progress, but lot more moderation with time spread out through the other cast.

trejo

Working'!! 9

While it is true that the character's individual gimmicks get tiresome after a while, it doesn't change the fact that the show has so far made a good job of endearing most of them to me to the point that I've come to enjoy just watching them and the way they interact with each other on a weekly basis. The cast as a whole is what makes it all come together and not any one specific character, really.

iavi

But do you really expect much in the way of character development? Because I don't, and don't really think it to be a matter of character development as much as it's a matter of better exploring what was already there; a little something I say the first season definitely didn't do. In the first season, it felt like they just gave us these caricatures, each with their incredibly prevalent schticks and then just told the viewer to find them funny as they proceeded to not even play out the independent pieces, but delved into a romance arc centered around the worst schtick in the pile.

This time around, it's much less about the individual, or individuals, and much more about the crew & co as a whole, and their tolerance of each other's schticks and whatnot. I say, the humour isn't meant to be derived from the individual schticks as much as it's meant to be derived from all the varying foils. Which... Yeah, still means that the show's schticky as fuck, but that much is expected, and I do think that it's much better implemented. Some characters, most notably Takanashi & Inami, the focus of the previous season, coming across way different in the process.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was going to post this but the requirement was that it was "good". [/troll]
Boo this man.

But do you really expect much in the way of character development? Because I don't, and don't really think it to be a matter of character development as much as it's a matter of better exploring what was already there; a little something I say the first season definitely didn't do. In the first season, it felt like they just gave us these caricatures, each with their incredibly prevalent schticks and then just told the viewer to find them funny as they proceeded to not even play out the independent pieces, but delved into a romance arc centered around the worst schtick in the pile.

This time around, it's much less about the individual, or individuals, and much more about the crew & co as a whole, and their tolerance of each other's schticks and whatnot. I say, the humour isn't meant to be derived from the individual schticks as much as it's meant to be derived from all the varying foils. Which... Yeah, still means that the show's schticky as fuck, but that much is expected, and I do think that it's much better implemented. Some characters, most notably Takanashi & Inami, the focus of the previous season, coming across way different in the process.

It's entered character sitcom mode, where the plots serve the character quirks and the characters themselves are intractable. It felt much more character-driven in the first season anyway.

Persona 4: The Animation - 8://Trying out Chie and Yukiko's cooking may be hazardous to your health

Well, whoever it is that wanted them to cover the school camping trip, there you go.

- Yu Narukami is a dick. Commander Shepard would be proud.
- Poor Kanji gets shafted pretty bad in this episode. "Is our chastity at risk here?"
- Poor Kanji gets shafted really, really bad in this episode. "Just forget about last night, okay?"
- They squeezed in Saki Konishi between the other hijinks. Not bad at all, as I found Saki to be terribly boring in the game.
- They're doing a good job of making us hate King Moron. Not that it was hard, that guy was a total douchebag in the game too.
- Could it be, Rise will finally show up in the next episode? BELIEVE!

trejo

Phat CER0 8-9

Man, this show has really turned itself around. My one complaint is that even though this is supposed to be a war between the most powerful wizards in the world and their legendary hero partners over a magical ancient artifact capable of granting the victor any conceivable wish, no one has actually killed anyone yet. How many more times are they gonna pull that "I'll get you next time!" trick out of their hats? It's starting to get real old.

The Waver and Rider duo is by far the best.

duckroll

Phat CER0 8-9

Man, this show has really turned itself around. My one complaint is that even though this is supposed to be a war between the most powerful wizards in the world and their legendary hero partners over a magical ancient artifact capable of granting the victor any conceivable wish, no one has actually killed anyone yet. How many more times are they gonna pull that "I'll get you next time!" trick out of their hats? It's starting to get real old.

The Waver and Rider duo is by far the best.

I don't see how having the "best" mages in the world fight each other will instantly result in quick KOs though. Isn't what is happening much more realistic? While they have pretty solid offensive plans, it is clear that since they are not incompetent tards, they also have good backup plans and defensive strategies. This is really the only reason why there have been no total KOs so far.

It's not as if the show is really pulling a complete draw on every fight with "I'll get you next time!!" either. The truth is that each conflict so far has resulted in specific results for each side. Either they have learned something about their opponent, which means the same tricks cannot be used again, or there has been permanent damage done to one side. I see it more as a long haul battle where they chip away at each other, rather than conflicts which end without a result.

Waver and Rider are definitely the best pair though. It's really fun watching them work things out together. I have to admit
I felt this strange sense of pride for Waver when he finally actually put his skills to use and proved that he wasn't a totally useless dead weight.

Shouta

Hunter x Hunter (1999) 1-17

So, I have actually never watched much of the original HxH anime because I was reading the manga at the time. I decided to do so when I was watching the new one on TV the other day and man, the '99 version is like 10x more fun and enjoyable to watch. Everything is better and it's cel animated too which makes it so pretty. The 2011 version so well, uh... 2011 that it actually kinda hurts. Also, Ohayou was an awesome and catchy OP and worked well rearranged inside the show.

Uchip

Banned

So, I have actually never watched much of the original HxH anime because I was reading the manga at the time. I decided to do so when I was watching the new one on TV the other day and man, the '99 version is like 10x more fun and enjoyable to watch. Everything is better and it's cel animated too which makes it so pretty. The 2011 version so well, uh... 2011 that it actually kinda hurts. Also, Ohayou was an awesome and catchy OP and worked well rearranged inside the show.

dammit.... i might just re-watch the old one

Guilty Crown 8:

The writers for GC must have a weekly competition. "How much dumber can we make the show this week?" The winner has to buy the other writers lunch for the next week!

Well, at least Dan is awesome. There are times when I wish real Americans could be as awesome as Japanese people seem to think they are. See Metal Wolf Chaos for more information.

I love how Shu refers to his mom by her first name. Either he's adopted, or he just wants to fuck her. In Japan, middle-age women are apparently hotter than high-schoolers.

The show is starting to show the severe limitations of being overstuffed with a huge cast of largely throwaway side characters. The reason Code Geass got away with it was that the main 3 of Lelouch, Spinzaku, and Kallen were fundamentally interesting characters. Good and bad are irrelevant here, they were interesting. The rest of the cast came and went and some were better than others but it didn't matter since the main 3 were so enjoyable. Compared to them, Shu, Gai, and Inori are just so terribly disappointingly boring by comparison, and combine that with the desperately cookie-cutter and boring set of side characters and what you get is BORING.

I can't decide between Gintama and re-watching Code Geass. Help :(

Code Geass isn't nearly as fun once you've seen it already and know what's going to happen after every episode's cliffhanger. This is one problem you have when your show relies entirely on cliffhanging to force you to watch the next episode, it only works once.

Steroyd

If you have more than 412 posts in this thread, you should feel bad.

w00t that means I should feel good with my 397 post count. :|

I am a bit biased in the sense that I think anime was a lot better done overall 10-15 years ago but still, '99 HxH is better even ignoring that.

Yeah even if you ignore the whole anime sucks today compared to the 90's, it's not even a contest as to which version is better.

I can't decide between Gintama and re-watching Code Geass. Help :(

Gintama, Code Geass isn't worth re-watching.

I think I have rewatch the old HxH series about 4 times and one thing I can say is I freaking loved the Hisoka voice from back then, I mean the new voice is alright but the old one fit him so much better.

trejo

I don't see how having the "best" mages in the world fight each other will instantly result in quick KOs though. Isn't what is happening much more realistic? While they have pretty solid offensive plans, it is clear that since they are not incompetent tards, they also have good backup plans and defensive strategies. This is really the only reason why there have been no total KOs so far.

It's not as if the show is really pulling a complete draw on every fight with "I'll get you next time!!" either. The truth is that each conflict so far has resulted in specific results for each side. Either they have learned something about their opponent, which means the same tricks cannot be used again, or there has been permanent damage done to one side. I see it more as a long haul battle where they chip away at each other, rather than conflicts which end without a result.

Waver and Rider are definitely the best pair though. It's really fun watching them work things out together. I have to admit
I felt this strange sense of pride for Waver when he finally actually put his skills to use and proved that he wasn't a totally useless dead weight.

It might just be my SHOUNEN HAATO getting the better of me but I do want to start seeing more 'conclusive' fights. Caster needs to go down already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom