• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fate Zero 10

Ho boy, the anime's first filler-esque episode. While it was nice that Tokiomi finally got some screentime doing something and Kariya with any kind of screentime at all, the change in perspective kinda made it feel a bit off in the flow of things. The episode wasn't bad in any sense, just seemingly out of place.

But that's fine, because that just means that the production staff plans to use the next episode
entirely for one of my favorite scenes in the entire novel, the Mad Feast of Kings.
Too bad the episode title for it is terrible though.

ZoddGutts

Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo Boring film by Shinkai. Feels like a weak Ghibli film, I'm talking Howl's Moving Castle/Tales from Earthsea bad.

Dynedom

Well with D.Gray-man, I think Hoshino is trying to pack what would be a month of weekly material into a monthly chapter. Because of that, it feels like a bunch of plot points randomly strung together with little to no context. Certain scenes have no impact because the buildup was either very short or there was none at all. Characters appear out of nowhere, certain actions are given no explanation, etc.

It has gotten a bit easier to understand as of late, but the arc before the most recent one was an indiscernible mess.

I think I might end up biting anyway. I don't see how it could be worse than Tenjou and at least the art is better. Wish me luck.

I remember it’s having one the longest flash back ever, to the point I completely forgot those other characters exist.

This is exactly what Tenjou Tenge does. Ugh.

Anyway, enough manga talk. This is the anime thread!

Gintama 160

5gPiw.jpg

CnDKd.jpg

YFtWT.jpg

Best faces or best faces?

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
This is exactly what Tenjou Tenge does. Ugh.

Anyway, enough manga talk. This is the anime thread!
Tenjou Tenge was actually the first thing I watched this summer. I got through 26 episodes before I was forced to drop it (moved again).

Is it good? Or am I a masochist?

Tenjou Tenge was actually the first thing I watched this summer. I got through 26 episodes before I was forced to drop it (moved again).

Nope the anime fucking sucked and the manga reached to a point where things just went off into the deep end (though it was kinda interesting to see how far it could go tbh)

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
MPD 10
Ringo reminds me an of an ex. I think thats why I'm more freaked out than I should be.
Nope the anime fucking sucked and the manga reached to a point where things just went off into the deep end (though it was kinda interesting to see how far it could go tbh)

Okay. Proud masochist still and I have a fetish for seeing how far things can go.

Dynedom

The flashback in Tenjou Tenge was actually the part worth watching.

There's your answer (kinda). Considering the series pretty much IS the damn flashback arc (ok, that's not entirely accurate but whatever), it's not bad I guess.

The series itself finishes on a bit of a cliffhanger and very very early into the manga's story. I actually just finished the manga today and I honestly don't think it would be worth it if they animated the rest of the show. The dude is an awful storyteller. The abuse of time-shifting (present one page, future next page, recent past 2 pages later, distant past 4 years later) really had me shaking my head after a while.

So just keep that in mind. The series has no definitive ending and if it were animated, it wouldn't be worth your time.

mAcOdIn

Last I remember you haven't watched anything from the series other than the first movie, so how do you know that?

I mean, the second A-ko movie really wasn't very good, but the third was alright, and I like the "versus battle" spinoff series, that was good stuff.
I have a sixth sense with this stuff I just sometimes ignore it against my better judgement.

Articalys

I'd say the last joke before the credits saved the episode.
Do you mean
Oshiroi's magazine with Sato's head pasted over the muscle guys, or the masochist student
? Because I considered it all part of the overall Shiraume abuse running gag that I hate.

Ben-to ep9
LETS GET IT! LETS GET IT! LETS GET IT! LETS GET IT! LETS GO!
Okay, I will admit, the moment when that happened was great, if only because it came from out of fucking nowhere and completely destroyed the atmosphere of the scene.

Ben-To 9
Ugh. These last two episodes have been pretty awful. The show was entertaining when it was about fighting over discounted food, not this shit.

wonzo

Banned
ben-to 9

i still kinda enjoyed this ep (yuri hell yeah) but the show really needs to get back to people beating the shit outta each other over half priced lunchboxes.

wsippel

Banned
Ben-To 9

Well, the show certainly changed a bit, and not necessarily for the better, but it's still good fun and very well directed.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Ben-To 9

Well, the show certainly changed a bit, and not necessarily for the better, but it's still good fun and very well directed.
Let's not get crazy here. So much squealing. So many girls bending over.

Ben-To 9

The moment Shiraume was given more than a minute of screen time and was in fact the central focus of the episode, this automatically became the worst episode for me.

/XX/

Well, in a way this really was like trejo and Steroyd described it; an information dump, but I have to say that I've liked it a lot because I was thinking already on the possible future situations as they were unfolding the premise. Is like that dry, slow and ominous way in which it was been presented the story gives time to better think along it goes, filling the blanks, and that is what a crazy but interestingly put setting makes for me.

And talking about the tone of this first episode,
anyone else find jarring how it shifted with that ending song and all that? I assumed sometimes there would be a contrast when adapting overarching original material like the one in question, but it surprised me!

From what I've seen, this series seems to share more than I first thought with Kara no Kyōkai: The Garden of Sinners (well, it has involved in it a good part of the staff from this previous work), in more ways than the (now more subtle) "overproduced" feel that digital photography, and visual design in general, gives. In terms of direction both are ambitious, and for a series like this one the composition of the scenes, how the characters interact in the (very well presented) scenarios, has that impression of quality that I didn't expect on a TV show.

Also, anyone has seen the Spanish-subtitled version of the streaming? If so, how good is the translation? I'd prefer to watch it in my native language, but I've seen the translated synopsis and it is rather... well... oddly made.

http://i.imgur.com/mGuyVl.png
So that's why duckroll hasn't posted his impressions? And yet he was so hyped for this, but his heart couldn't resist waiting to see so much cuteness... poor guy...

duckroll

So that's why duckroll hasn't posted his impressions? And yet he was so hyped for this, but his heart couldn't resist waiting to see so much cuteness... poor guy...

I'm still alive.... for now. Been playing a ton of Terraria 1.1, so I don't really have time to post impressions about anime! Lol.

Ezalc

Yamada!!"@$%^&* 10
Clearly this show needs more Yamada and Soma and less Takanashi. Though Popura teasing still cracks me up since it's something I do to a friend of mine constantly. Still don't like Yukiho 2.

Penguins (I don't remember the newest ep number)
What the hell is going on man.

Im@s (the newest one right now)
I liked this episode it was really heart-warming since I can kind of understand the whole being too busy to get together thing. Iori ain't got nothing on Miki suck it Unknown!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom