• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gintamen

Mawaru Penguindrum 21
Did the penguins have any good scenes, I somehow overlooked their presense the whole time. At least the thruth is out now.

Series so far?
mpd19.jpg

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Ringo was such a cool character; it's a shame they
killed her off in episode 10.

I feel the same way. Its just not the same anymore. The best two females are easily Esmeralda and Yuri now.

Beats

Not sure if this was posted already but for anyone that wants to know the last Utena Box Set/Limited edition is out today. I was planning on getting the whole thing earlier but I didn't realize the last set was only coming out now. I'm looking forward to watching it. :)

sonicmj1

Ben-to 9

Everything up to opening credits was good. Then it went down the same road that episode 4 went down, except harder and worse. Without even a Bento Battle to ease the pain.

This show desperately needs to get back on track, because 8 and 9 have both been pretty awful. The absurd action and premise is the glue that held everything together when things were working. Girls cuddling is a poor substitute.

7Th

I'm surprised by how much of Rie Matsumoto there was in the Heartcatch Precure movie.

I don't think the show would work being about Ringo the entire time. In fact there were already a lot of complaints about how long her arc was.

A character doesn't have to take over a show to not be irrelevant.

7Th

Well it's a good thing she actually isn't, even if her role is greatly reduced.

Stuff Ringo has done since episode 10:
showcase physical and emotional weakness, cry, watch from the sidelines while THE MEN struggle with DESTINY, cry, passively listen to Shouma's narration and, of course, cry some more.

What bothers me about Ringo's role in Penguin Drum is the marked contrast between the extreme focus on her in the first half and her becoming just that girl who hangs around the Takakuras in the second. It's the most prominent example of the biggest issue I have with the show, namely the clumsy way characters are pushed in and out of the narrative.

Branduil

Stuff Ringo has done since episode 10:
showcase physical and emotional weakness, cry, watch from the sidelines while THE MEN struggle with DESTINY, cry, passively listen to Shouma's narration and, of course, cry some more.

So more character development even in that period than any of the Idolmaster characters in the first few episodes then.

Branduil

How is a show you haven't watched related to this discussion?
It's just funny comparing this discussion with your defenses of Idolmaster whenever I talked about how it was completely lacking in interesting characterization of any kind.

7Th

It's just funny comparing this discussion with your defenses of Idolmaster whenever I talked about how it was completely lacking in interesting characterization of any kind.

a)You stopped watching Idolm@ster in episode 5.
b)Idolm@ster has nothing to do with this discussion and trying to use it as an argument of any kind is a logical fallacy.

Ben-to 9

Everything up to opening credits was good. Then it went down the same road that episode 4 went down, except harder and worse. Without even a Bento Battle to ease the pain.

This show desperately needs to get back on track, because 8 and 9 have both been pretty awful. The absurd action and premise is the glue that held everything together when things were working. Girls cuddling is a poor substitute.

The anime is great on the action but wastes too much time developing characters that fans just dont care about. Some of the scenes would have been nice if it led to a bento fight.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
At the start of Penguindrum, Ringo was a very interesting character to watch. Sadly she was also a very flat character. And I don't mean in the chest. I mean she didn't have much depth of character.

After episode 10, her character remained as flat as ever, but became boring at the same time. Throughout the show she's expressed emotions and what-have-you, but the only real growth for her character was realizing she shouldn't
try to become Momoka. So it's not like she didn't grow as a character at all; she just didn't grow very much, as she now follows Shouma around everywhere instead of Tabuki (granted, in a less stalker like fashion...)

cajunator

Banned
Not sure if this was posted already but for anyone that wants to know the last Utena Box Set/Limited edition is out today. I was planning on getting the whole thing earlier but I didn't realize the last set was only coming out now. I'm looking forward to watching it. :)

Yeah this is shipped and on it's way here along with a fabulous Signet Ring

7Th

See your problem is assuming I'm trying to win some kind of argument and not just poking at your pet peeves.

No, you're not "poking at my pet peeves" (note the way in which you use the term "pet peeves" rather than criticism, another clear example of an ad-hominem argument); you're paraphrasing a discussion in which you didn't actually address any of my arguments to somehow try to make my criticism of Ringo's characterization invalid.

Majikoi 9 - Eh, mixed quality episode. Most of this episode is about the harem being sad and then arguing with eachother in the aftermath of
the MC being put into the hospital and being knocked unconscious at the end of the last episode
. All four girls of the second-tier harem (ie, the ones who aren't Momoyo) confess to him while he's out, and then spend much of the episode glaring at eachother. It's generic, but amusing in its harem-show stupidity. Some of the stuff is kind of silly. At the end, the villain from the last couple of episodes has returned already, and the battle's back on. It's getting a bit old, but the show's obviously going to keep this going for some time to come.

Besides that, my main problem with this is that, like usual for "foreign" characters, Chris acts basically 99% Japanese, exactly the same as any of the other characters. What's the point of always having "foreign" exchange students when the one and only thing differentiating them from the rest of the cast is their blonde hair? It's not like in anime you couldn't just make their hair blonde anyway... it's just stupid to have supposedly foreign characters (Chris is supposedly from Germany) act EXACTLY the same as the rest of the cast. Yes, we know that she likes Japanese culture, but that doesn't explain this kind of stupidity, it doesn't even begin to explain it. For one example, I know anime Japan's still fully into that 1950s-esque "girls show their love for boys by making food for them" thing, but having Western characters act that same way is not believable.

I just like blondes man.

Oh, you just meant her character design, and not her actual character?

There is nothing of any value to be found in High Score.
Sounds like I should watch it then.

High Score 1-2 - Well, this show is indeed awful, but at just three minutes an episode, there were enough stupidly amusing moments for it to be worth the watch, I thought. :)

Ezalc

Image doesn't work for me mannnn.

Oh, you just meant her character design, and not her actual character?

Pretty much, I mean IS is well IS when it's considered a bad show even for a harem which all tend to be bad shows it just shows that you shouldn't try to dig deep into it at all. For actual character Char is still the only interesting one. Either way Char wins I just wanted to have a runner up and since there's another blonde with big boobs I chose her.

zeroshiki

I actually think Brandy's point was simple. He believes Ringo has had more character development during this period of irrelevance than anyone from Idolmaster. Not speaking to the argument in itself, comparing stuff like character development across works is something we do all the time so I'm not sure why it's something extra special just because its Idolmaster. The fact that it tweaks 7th is the added bonus.

Branduil

No, you're not "poking at my pet peeves" (note the way in which you use the term "pet peeves" rather than criticism, another clear example of an ad-hominem argument); you're paraphrasing a discussion in which you didn't actually address any of my arguments to somehow try to make my criticism of Ringo's characterization invalid.

I didn't address any of your arguments seriously because that's boring and unfun. Watching you get angry at me for not arguing with you properly is much more entertaining and less stressful. You could even call this a moe conversation.

7Th

I actually think Brandy's point was simple. He believes Ringo has had more character development during this period of irrelevance than anyone from Idolmaster. Not speaking to the argument in itself, comparing stuff like character development across works is something we do all the time so I'm not sure why it's something extra special just because its Idolmaster. The fact that it tweaks 7th is the added bonus.

You realize that Brandy hasn't watched Idolm@ster, right?

I didn't address any of your arguments because that's boring and unfun. Watching you get angry at me for not arguing with you is much more entertaining and less stressful. You could even call this a moe conversation.

It's actually kind fun arguing in easy modo with people that give me plenty of fuel to make them look petty and immature.

Branduil

That chart isn't very good. It makes it look like name-calling and ad hominems are supporting everything else, which I don't think is what they are going for.

Branduil

It's actually kind fun arguing in easy modo with people that give me plenty of fuel to make them look petty and immature.
I think you should relax and not act like us poking fun at each other isn't something that happens every single day in this thread and that every conversation needs to be a serious argument about how Ikuhara is a bad sexist writer or Idolmaster is awesome because scientists found it has twice as much Empirical Fun Units as the next show.

hellclerk

Everything is tsundere to me
At the start of Penguindrum, Ringo was a very interesting character to watch. Sadly she was also a very flat character. And I don't mean in the chest. I mean she didn't have much depth of character.

After episode 10, her character remained as flat as ever, but became boring at the same time. Throughout the show she's expressed emotions and what-have-you, but the only real growth for her character was
realizing she shouldn't try to become Momoka. So it's not like she didn't grow as a character at all; she just didn't grow very much, as she now follows Shouma around everywhere instead of Tabuki (granted, in a less stalker like fashion...)

Spoiler warning pal, not everyone's seen the whole show. :p

My position is that Ringo's shallowness of character is kind of the point. I mean,
she put her entire being into becoming someone she had no memory or recollection of and has only been described to her in abstract and rosy terms. That will create a shallow person in general. My main complaint about Ringo though is that she didn't have a stronger crisis of self when she realized that she couldn't become Momoka. I suppose this could be explained with her attaching herself to Shouma, how she traded one flat existence for another.
It's just a slight disappointment, but those who are complaining that Ringo became a shallow character don't see that's exactly what she was in the first place.

zeroshiki

You realize that Brandy hasn't watched Idolm@ster, right?

I'm not sure how that's relevant to you getting really huffy whenever Idolmaster gets brought up. How about responding with how you believe he's wrong instead of complaining that he dropped the show by episode 5, which btw, is plenty of episodes to form an opinion on a series.

Branduil

Spoiler warning pal, not everyone's seen the whole show. :p

My position is that Ringo's shallowness of character is kind of the point. I mean,
she put her entire being into becoming someone she had no memory or recollection of and has only been described to her in abstract and rosy terms. That will create a shallow person in general. My main complaint about Ringo though is that she didn't have a stronger crisis of self when she realized that she couldn't become Momoka. I suppose this could be explained with her attaching herself to Shouma, how she traded one flat existence for another.
It's just a slight disappointment, but those who are complaining that Ringo became a shallow character don't see that's exactly what she was in the first place.

Not to defend 7th too much, but I'm fairly sure his complaint is that she became boring, not that she was a deep character and became a shallow one. He's really not interested in that kind of thing anyway.

iavi

To be honest, I've adopted an anti-intellectual attitude of sorts in this thread. It's this funky paradox where I do want to have an actual discourse at times, but don't really want to ever debate cause it's just exhausting. I do enough of that in my 3d life, Gaf is for :cajuning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom