• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bah, weaklings. It's not like you watch the show in a week, rather you pick at it a little at a time and then one day you realize you're almost caught up, like I am now. And once I do catch up to Gintama, I plan on leaping right into Urusei Yatsura. Long-running shows forever!

It's like I said about LoGH, you can watch 200 episodes of 20 bad shows or 200 episodes of 1 good show - the choice is yours!

Gonna jump right into another pure comedy? You gotta alternate between that and other genres with long running shows or you'll go crazy. You should go with Yu Yu Hakusho next.

Jex

I'm just saying there are anime fans outside of gaf. Having a small reference pool usually isn't good in regards to discovering new series and stuff. I mean it did take over half a decade for you guys to get to good stuff like Gintama and OP movie 6 while the rest of the internet was gushing over them for years after all.
There are anime fans outside of GAF, in fact you could say that the majority of anime fans are outside of GAF. Yet, if we go by sites such as ANN, it's clear to me that the majority of anime fans have really bad taste in entertainment and I can't say I'd trust them to recommend what kind of blu-tack to purchase, much less tell me what kind of content to watch.

I'm not saying that you should get all your advice from GAF either - I certainly don't. I visit a selection of other sites, but it is really only a small selection because the vast majority of anime sites are blogs, and the vast majority of those are awful. As with all things, you want to find critics and reviewers who you agree with and/or can trust. This is a lot simpler in other mediums where you have a much wider variety of trusted reviewers,

Also, I've been watching anime for less than half a decade!

cajunator

Banned
I watch some shows you guys obviously find to be pretty horrible so I definitely dont always follow your advice lol. For example, I like Elemental Gelade a lot, as well as CHrono Crusade. I think most of you hate those shows.

Dresden

reposted from you-know-where:

luylx.png

cajunator

Banned
It's actually pretty easy to have a flock of girls following you around at conventions. you just have to act normally and not like a mouth breathing freak who is scared to even touch them.

Gonna jump right into another pure comedy? You gotta alternate between that and other genres with long running shows or you'll go crazy. You should go with Yu Yu Hakusho next.

I've been in a big comedy mood lately, and I've been getting a craving for UY, which is why I've made this plan. But who knows how I'll feel next week? I take these things as they come.

Chihayafuru 10

Strong episode. The dynamics between the characters are well-portrayed, and the consequences of the haphazard formation of Chihaya's team are dealt with. The matches are made exciting through the personalities involved, rather than the simple mechanics of the game itself.

If you're not on Team Taichi after this, I can only conclude that you're irrationally biased.

Gintamen

There are anime fans outside of GAF, in fact you could say that the majority of anime fans are outside of GAF. Yet, if we go by sites such as ANN, it's clear to me that the majority of anime fans have really bad taste in entertainment and I can't say I'd trust them to recommend what kind of blu-tack to purchase, much less tell me what kind of content to watch.
I'm sure some of those guys will gladly help you out too: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=2913# Or this one for old-school recommendations http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=18611 .

Steins;Gate 13
That guy can't deserve so many bad endings.

Gintamen

My anime tastes are definitely highly questionable.
They would watch that too, if it were possible in live-action/real live. Anime just opens more possibilities. haha

Steins;Gate 14
My Fork. You want one? My fork? Yeah I already have My Spoon.*blush*
Srew you, future me!
She's definitely a professional... of some kind

soo good XD

Gintamen

So if I wanted to watch Legend of the Galactic Heroes, where do I start? I see there are prequel movies and such.
1. Spiral Labirinth (14 eps)
2. Silver Valley (4 eps)
3. Those Who Revolt (4 eps)
4. The Duelist (4 eps)
5. Golden Wings (Movie with different style to the franchise you don't lose much if you don't ever watch it)
6. Those Who Recapture (4 eps)
7. Morning's Dream, Night's Song (4 eps)
8. Hundred Billion of Stars, Hundred Billion of Lights (12 eps)
9. The Third Tiamat Battle (2 eps)
10. My Conquest is the Sea of Stars (Movie)
11. Disgrace (4 eps)
12. Overture to a New War (Movie)
13. Main series (110 eps)

or this for watching it in the order they were released: http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=rel&aid=1309

Instro

Chihayafuru 10

Strong episode. The dynamics between the characters are well-portrayed, and the consequences of the haphazard formation of Chihaya's team are dealt with. The matches are made exciting through the personalities involved, rather than the simple mechanics of the game itself.

If you're not on Team Taichi after this, I can only conclude that you're irrationally biased.

I am on Team Kana, forget about all those gross men. Great episode though.

Steroyd

It's a good thing that taste isn't a requirement for animuGAF.

People acknowledge when they're watching crap, reccommend Yosuga no Sora and School Days to newcomers for shits and giigles and Code Geass goes down as a fabulous anime to watch along with needing to experience that which is Blood C.

I think the charm is that animuGAF is self aware of it's own... erm... taste.

NewFresh

People acknowledge when they're watching crap, reccommend Yosuga no Sora and School Days to newcomers for shits and giigles and Code Geass goes down as a fabulous anime to watch along with needing to experience that which is Blood C.

I vote that Clamp-B should be the go to recommendation instead of school days.

Branduil

reposted from you-know-where:

luylx.png

Oh hey they finally started updating again.

alot of us have been ‘marrying fictional characters in this generation. He just takes it to the next step. Why wouldn’t you want to marry someone who is perfect in your eyes and will never hurt you? Real people can be tricky and manipulative…plus, we live in such a disconnected world..
at least we know that one lucky gal won’t be getting spousal abuse in south korea;)

If you want to date me you must satisfy me better than my dakimakuras. #highstandards

I'm dying.

Sports show are never really about the sport though. That’s what makes them better than watching real sports.

I'm sorry firehawk.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

Code Geass is a great series. I love Code Geass both intentionally and unintentionally. The other 3 are just terrible shows. Blood-C is worth watching though, because you will never watch a show where everybody involved in making the show hates you and hates all of humanity.

wonzo

Banned
sos said:
is this some kind of new tech or something? the animation is SO beautiful.
there are like 20 more details in one scene alone than any other anime.
i feel like im watching garbage watching an anime right after this one just by the art alone (like mirai nikki). anyway, just wondering if anyone else felt this way :p.

guess the anime

Ezalc

1. Spiral Labirinth (14 eps)
2. Silver Valley (4 eps)
3. Those Who Revolt (4 eps)
4. The Duelist (4 eps)
5. Golden Wings (Movie with different style to the franchise you don't lose much if you don't ever watch it)
6. Those Who Recapture (4 eps)
7. Morning's Dream, Night's Song (4 eps)
8. Hundred Billion of Stars, Hundred Billion of Lights (12 eps)
9. The Third Tiamat Battle (2 eps)
10. My Conquest is the Sea of Stars (Movie)
11. Disgrace (4 eps)
12. Overture to a New War (Movie)
13. Main series (110 eps)

or this for watching it in the order they were released: http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=rel&aid=1309

But how is the hair?

Ezalc

Beautiful as ever. http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/5960/lotglohengramm.png
I would like to see a anime with that kind art as the animation style.

This series has been something I've wanted to watch for so long now. After seeing that one movie conquest of the stars. I've been told the hair from that drops in quality during the rest of the OVA. I can't commit to this if the hair quality drops man. I couldn't bear such a thing.

Gintamen

This series has been something I've wanted to watch for so long now. After seeing that one movie conquest of the stars. I've been told the hair from that drops in quality during the rest of the OVA. I can't commit to this if the hair quality drops man. I couldn't bear such a thing.
I don't remember them getting worse...
at least it will be less heads to put hair on later on. haha
kawaii has existed for decades in the anime/manga/japan community, how could you equal that with something like moe. grrr

Horizon is one of the best shows this season, and Guilty Crown is the best original anime from this season.
Reviews are either very positive or negative, I should make up my own mind by watching it, huh?

-Minsc-

I don't really see the point in buying a show like Gintama. That's not to say that it's a bad show, just not something that I'd consider watching again, apart from maybe a few arcs.

So, yeah. I've run through the original series at least twice so far, maybe three times (quite possibly four). [This doesn't count times I've re-watched individual episodes] It's just one of those shows which draws me in. Call me a Gintama equivalent of a Narutard I suppose.

Akikan

Awesome finale. Love how the whole conflict was caused by
Miku being drank by a cat, lol.
And did they seriously use Hatsune Miku for the ED there? Haha. Guess that has meaning.

This was a great series. Kind of like a less serious Sekirei with more memorable characters. I will never stop being impressed by Japan's ability to inject completely serious drama into some of the most asinine premises out there. My jaw was on the floor during the last few minutes of episode 5 because of the sick mood whiplash. As far as inanimate object anthropomorphism goes, this is probably among the most notable in terms of execution.

Kakeru is really the kind of harem protagonist we need to see more of. Screw this accidental pervert stuff, we need a pure hot-blooded pervert that will hump the fuck out of a chair just to prove a point and get himself out of crappy social situations. He and Tomiki should be the standard everyone follows when doing a harem series.

Anyway, this is clearly still the early stages of the series. We barely know anything else about the Akikan Elect and we've only seen 4. Seems like the LN is still ongoing, so I'm hoping for an eventual season 2.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Kakeru is really the kind of harem protagonist we need to see more of. Screw this accidental pervert stuff, we need a pure hot-blooded pervert that will hump the fuck out of a chair just to prove a point and get himself out of crappy social situations. He and Tomiki should be the standard everyone follows when doing a harem series.

The problem with them is that they don't find the women that they're surrounded with attractive. Which leads to the same silly harem hijinks, sadly.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Finally up to date on Penguin Drum

I like it. But I like the soundtrack more.

So, Infinite Stratos. Yay or Nay?
Yea!

Char and Cecilia = Yay
Everybody else = Nay

Cecilia's one of the worst characters though. Char, though, yes, top ranking for sure.

I actually like the premise of Infinite Stratos, though I don't think it works with it quite so well (based off accounts here, anyway). I still need to go back and watch it though :/
That it's done so incompetently is an important part of its charm, though. It wouldn't be the same, and would probably be less interesting, if it was actually done well...

huh, gaf is pro infinite stratos?

Those mech designs, and probably the worst transitions to cg since that girls pretending to be planes show.

Some of the gals are nice, but yeah, it did nothing for me o_O.
A lot of us watched IS, yes... :)

High Score - 2

ftXS5.jpg

That's the purest form of love <3
Should I be watching this, or not?

I know, right? I should have watched every revolting second, learned Japanese and found every scrap of info from the creators available, spent a few years debating them on old usenet forums with fans and any possible staff that dropped by and, finally, after having written a thesis over the issue, finally then, could I render my judgement.
No, you just needed to watch the movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom