• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

I'm sure some of those guys will gladly help you out too: http://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=2913#

That's an interesting concept, in that it's a self-proclaimed club for elitists who care only want to watch very high quality anime. That's all well and good, I suppose, but if they don't visit the opposite end of the spectrum they aren't really getting the most out of the medium. If they haven't seen Mad Bull 34, Garzey's Wing, Space Thunder Kids, Yami and the like then they're really missing out on a lot of fun.

Jex

Jarmel: Scifi anime is also full of social commentary. Ghost in the Shell: SAC and Planetes offer a lot to work with.

Hell, science fiction in general is often about that. At least, when it's trying to be interesting.
It has to be an anime(anime analysis course). Which makes my life infinitely harder. There really isn't many social arguments or controversial stances in anime.
Hey, Legend of the Overfiend deals with that kind of stuff all the time. I mean, how else can Japan get over what they did in World War II? The Nazi rape-machine neatly symbolises what was actually going on at that time.

Gintamen

That's an interesting concept, in that it's a self-proclaimed club for elitists who care only want to watch very high quality anime. That's all well and good, I suppose, but if they don't visit the opposite end of the spectrum they aren't really getting the most out of the medium. If they haven't seen Mad Bull 34, Garzey's Wing, Space Thunder Kids, Yami and the like then they're really missing out on a lot of fun.
"Club Description:
First and foremost, I would like to make it clear that this is not an elitist club.Our goal is to come up a list of highly recommended quality shows that are exemplary either within genre or universally. However, everyone has different standards when it comes to this, so I have made up a short list of basic requirements with the goal of ensuring maximum participation from our members." Way to miss the point.

Being entertaining or fun doesn't stop a series from sucking in the complete package. Nobody is stopping anyone from watching low rated series.

Jex

I feel that I need to raise the level of discourse in this thread, as it's getting rather sordid.

[Butt Attack Punisher Girl Gautaman]

Truly, a hero for our times. Surprisingly, both Buddha and the Terminator are present. But of course.

Jex

"Club Description:
First and foremost, I would like to make it clear that this is not an elitist club.Our goal is to come up a list of highly recommended quality shows that are exemplary either within genre or universally. However, everyone has different standards when it comes to this, so I have made up a short list of basic requirements with the goal of ensuring maximum participation from our members." Way to miss the point.

Being entertaining or fun doesn't stop a series from sucking in the complete package. Nobody is stopping anyone from watching low rated series.

Fair enough, but their entry requirements are:
1. The 'Completed' section of either your Anime or Manga list contains at least 100 entries.
2. The 'Completed' sections of your Anime and Manga lists each may not contain more than 10% of entries awarded a perfect rating of 10. In most cases this will prove that you are able to rise above the hype and will not give a rating of 10 to any show just because it is popular.
3. The 'Completed' sections of your Anime and Manga lists each may not contain more than 5% of entries not awarded any sort of rating.
4. The 'Completed' sections of your Anime and Manga lists each can not have a 'mean score' of over 8.0.
5. Your Anime and Manga lists must be publicly visible.If you meet all of these requirements and wish to join, but have yet to receive and invitation then feel free to send request. One of the club officers or admins will then review your profile. After reviewing it they will either accept you on the spot or send you a PM explaining the specific reason(s) why your request was declined.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
1. The 'Completed' section of either your Anime or Manga list contains at least 100 entries.
471 as of last update.
2. The 'Completed' sections of your Anime and Manga lists each may not contain more than 10% of entries awarded a perfect rating of 10. In most cases this will prove that you are able to rise above the hype and will not give a rating of 10 to any show just because it is popular.
2.5%
3. The 'Completed' sections of your Anime and Manga lists each may not contain more than 5% of entries not awarded any sort of rating.
0%
4. The 'Completed' sections of your Anime and Manga lists each can not have a 'mean score' of over 8.0.
5. Your Anime and Manga lists must be publicly visible.If you meet all of these requirements and wish to join, but have yet to receive and invitation then feel free to send request. One of the club officers or admins will then review your profile. After reviewing it they will either accept you on the spot or send you a PM explaining the specific reason(s) why your request was declined.
Public.

...but why do I have to go to them?

Gintamen

Fair enough, but their entry requirements are:
Isn't that your wish, they will have to watch at least a couple of dozen "bad" to "just good" Anime to be able to participate. It just prevents people from voting "yes" for everything every week, that's a good thing isn't it? Hundreds of anime later, I still just have couple over a dozen anime I would rate as a masterpiece.

...but why do I have to go to them?
Who ordered you to? In the end they are justs recommendations from people with a bit more experience than average, just reading the Spotlights without being a member is okay too?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Just as soon as we get rid of Darkside, he hates healthy women, probably because in addition to saying "no" they can also fight back.

I love you Darkside!

I love you too Macodin!

I ain't saying Sena is fat but

iWjAB.gif

yeah.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Reposting for the day crowd.
trolling is defined by seeking an inflammatory reaction
if my posts offend then its entirely your side not mine

if 10 people from either thread want me to stop posting ill gladly leave though
lets see a raise of hands

Jex

Isn't that your wish, they will have to watch at least a couple of dozen "bad" to "just good" Anime to be able to participate. It just prevents people from voting "yes" for everything every week, that's a good thing isn't it? Hundreds of anime later, I still just have couple over a dozen anime I would rate as a masterpiece.

Who ordered you to? In the end they are justs recommendations from people with a bit more experience than average, just reading the Spotlights without being a member is okay too?

Well in principle I think it's important that there's a place people can turn to find more specific recommendations about anime from a source that's not just some random guy with an anime blog. I think that's a real problem for anime in general because there are so few trustworthy sources.

However, I don't really think I'd be quite as stringent.

Jex

If you want social commentary and controversial statements, though, Arjuna is seriously where you need to go first.

It's quite possibly the only place you need to go. I mean, there's enough meat on those bones to write a number of serious academic papers. I mean, even just that one episode (you know, the one they couldn't show on TV) would probably be enough.

trejo

What the fuck happened here? I keep missing all the fun. :(

Un-Go 8

It's nice that they stopped pretending this was a serious detective show. It's a lot more entertaining this way.

Guilty Crown 8

Each time I think the show might start delivering on it's potential it disappoints me with a shitty ass episode such as this one. Most disappointing of all is it wasn't even good as a requisite beach episode. It hit a few of the regular notes in the most monotonous fashion and called it a day. How boring.

Jex

Infinite Stratos 1:

The opening mecha fight before the OP was really awesome. The rest of the episode, not so much.
[...]

I really wouldn't even go that far. The people making that show have no idea how to animate and direct aerial combat in any way, shape or form.

What exactly made Fate Stay Night so bad?

Some would say simply due to it being done by Studio Deen, and others say they dropped the ball in its adapting, as while it pretty much grounded itself in one route of the visual novel, it did try to shoehorn bits from the other two routes.

Personally, I enjoyed the hell out of it and its ending. Not to mention its what led me to look at the source material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom