• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sket Dance 24-25

Thought of another genius thing about these episodes.
Switch's real name had been revealed in the first episode, so the information was always there that the younger brother wasn't actually him. You had just most likely forgotten because he's rarely ever called by anything but Switch.

Articalys

Kamisama Dolls 13

The fuck was that?
That was the most atrocious non-ending I've seen in a long time. Resolved practically none of the plot points they'd set up throughout the series. Way to tease a second season when you can't even guarantee you'll have it. Getting ahead of themselves much?

Apparently of the nine manga volumes that have been released so far, this took us through volume seven.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Articalys said:
Kamisama Dolls 13

The fuck was that?
That was the most atrocious non-ending I've seen in a long time. Resolved practically none of the plot points they'd set up throughout the series. Way to tease a second season when you can't even guarantee you'll have it. Getting ahead of themselves much?

Apparently of the nine manga volumes that have been released so far, this took us through volume seven.

What exactly did they not resolve? The last arc concluded nicely, they wrapped everything up as best as they could do and let viewers know that the manga isn't done yet. The episode was done incredibly well. I honestly don't get the hate at all.

Your second point basically says it all. I'm confused as to what you actually wanted? This ending wasn't even close to being Kuragehime in terms of nothing addressed or as awful as Tiger and Bunny.

Articalys

darkside31337 said:
What exactly did they not resolve? The last arc concluded nicely, they wrapped everything up as best as they could do and let viewers know that the manga isn't done yet. The episode was done incredibly well. I honestly don't get the hate at all.

Your second point basically says it all. I'm confused as to what you actually wanted? This ending wasn't even close to being Kuragehime in terms of nothing addressed or as awful as Tiger and Bunny.
If they hadn't settled the climax of the fight so early in the episode, and all the cliffhangery stuff was in the last couple of minutes, I wouldn't have minded it so much. But to wrap up the current plot so fast then spend the next fifteen minutes teasing the content that isn't even guaranteed to be animated yet just rubs me the wrong way. It's probably easier to deal with if you can read the manga from where this leaves off, but I can't.

I guess "as best as they could do" just wasn't enough for me in this case. Props to you if you found it worked, though.

cosmicblizzard said:
If you say so. Seems non-shounen fans (at least here) gravitate to it, which is ironic since it clearly assumes the viewer has a ton of knowledge about the genre and is a fan.
I haven't seen a whole lot of shounen, but a problem I have with some of the bits I have seen, like Dragonball Z, is that it takes itself too seriously even when the situations are utterly ridiculous. Gintama avoids that pitfall while also making me care deeply about its characters. FMA is the only shounen series I've seen that I would hesitate to call Gintama better than.

iavi

hosannainexcelsis said:
I haven't seen a whole lot of shounen, but a problem I have with some of the bits I have seen, like Dragonball Z, is that it takes itself too seriously even when the situations are utterly ridiculous. Gintama avoids that pitfall while also making me care deeply about its characters. FMA is the only shounen series I've seen that I would hesitate to call Gintama better than.

That's not exactly fair, don't you think? It's not at all as if shounens are the only ones to suffer in that regard.

survivor

Banned
hosannainexcelsis said:
Consider giving Beelzebub a read? It pretty much doesn't take itself seriously and doesn't try to shove a lot of drama moments into the story. It's probably not as good as Gintama, but I find it pretty different from the standard shounen affair.

Jintor

icarus-daedelus said:
Wherefore can a broke-ass college student get the cheapestest copy of Spice & Worf S2? Thanksies.

Worf2375.jpg

Geneijin

hosannainexcelsis said:
Like what generally?

hosannainexcelsis said:

It's funny you say that because modern shounen generally avoids that with certain exceptions. Something like One Piece only takes itself seriously when shit goes down and it pulls that off better than Gintama's serious moments.

Uchip

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
It's funny you say that because modern shounen generally avoids that with certain exceptions. One Piece only takes itself seriously when shit goes down and it pulls that off better than Gintama's serious moments.

One Piece only works like that because its world defies any logic right from the beginning and has its own set of insane physics and rules
Shounen based on what seem like real world settings tend to be laughable when they try to be serious

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
My main beef with shounen is just the opposite. It's the moments that are supposed to be serious but are utterly ridiculous and just really hard to take seriously. Usually this happens during fight scenes which are so ridiculous but are expected to be taken seriously anyway. I love shounen series that embrace the fact that its completely absurd, so basically the shounen parody series.

Uchip

Banned
darkside31337 said:
My main beef with shounen is just the opposite. It's the moments that are supposed to be serious but are utterly ridiculous and just really hard to take seriously. Usually this happens during fight scenes which are so ridiculous but are expected to be taken seriously anyway. I love shounen series that embrace the fact that its completely absurd.

such as?

Uchip said:
One Piece only works like that because its world defies any logic right from the beginning and has its own set of insane physics and rules
Shounen based on what seem like real world settings tend to be laughable when they try to be serious

I think there are more shounen series that don't take place in a real world setting than ones that do.

Uchip

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
I think there are more shounen series that don't take place in a real world setting than ones that do.

you can say that, but even stuff like Naruto and Bleach are definitely based on Japan
and Soul Eater tries to tie the real world in too

what i meant was that One Piece is closer to something from a drug fueled hallucination than reality and thats why they can pull off whatever they want :p

darkside31337 said:
Gintama, Law of Ueki, Yakitate Japan just off my head.

Gintama does take itself seriously, and I didnt even think Yakitate Japan was in the same genre :p

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
cosmicblizzard said:
So basically, you would love a lot of shounen?

I don't like the super serious ones from the get go basically. But even stuff like Naruto and One Piece want me to take them way seriously than they have any right of asking for.

Instro

Articalys said:
Kamisama Dolls 13

The fuck was that?

It was a non-ending sure, but I felt it resolved all the necessary current plot points. They didn't introduce some sudden twist to the plot or anything weird like that. There are certainly much worse non-endings out there. Presumably them teasing the 2nd season so directly like that would mean its got a pretty high chance of happening no?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Instro said:
It was a non-ending sure, but I felt it resolved all the necessary current plot points. They didn't introduce some sudden twist to the plot or anything weird like that. There are certainly much worse non-endings out there. Presumably them teasing the 2nd season so directly like that would mean its got a pretty high chance of happening no?

Or they could just be saying buy the manga :(

I guess it'll depend on how DVD sales for the future volumes shake out. Seems like one of those on the fence series.

Miri said:
That's not exactly fair, don't you think? It's not at all as if shounens are the only ones to suffer in that regard.

Certainly. I'm just trying to explain why Gintama appeals to me immediately more than most other shounen do, and I did a poor job of it. Let me try again: Gintama, at the same time as it is incredibly hilarious, although makes me care deeply about the characters and their plights in a way that I haven't seen from my minimal exposure to shounen (DBZ, Bleach, Naruto) outside FMA. I have a great attachment to Gintoki, Kagura, Shinpachi, and most of the other main characters. I don't mean to say everything else is terrible. I've been reading a bit of the Psyren manga and I like it. The plot is interesting, and I'm curious to see how the mysteries will unravel. But I can't say I really care about the characters so far - they don't feel as fleshed-out as Gintama's do and the writing isn't as intelligent.

Again, I do want to stress that my exposure to the genre has been minimal, and there are series such as Yu Yu Hakusho and One Piece that I could see myself liking more than Gintama once I get around to watching them. I try to keep an open mind.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Geneijin said:
How is Law of Ueki a shounen parody?

It's not. I just mean it's a series that at it's heart acknowledges it's absurdity. If it does at least that much for me I can tolerate it. There's some crazy scenes in Naruto
usually involving Sasuke and/or his brother
that are trying to be serious but are just so absurd they are hilarious.

And then there is Bleach. I'm convinced Kubo is a genius because there's no way he's being serious about anything he writes.

-Minsc-

firehawk12 said:
Gintama isn't popular though. Heck, they keep shitting on how unpopular they are compared to the "real" shounen shows!

If the series was not popular the anime never would have been renewed after being on hiatus for a year.

cosmicblizzard said:
I love Gintama, but you need to watch/read more shounen. I will stand by my opinion that it falls squarely in mid-tier.

cosmicblizzard said:
If you say so. Seems non-shounen fans (at least here) gravitate to it, which is ironic since it clearly assumes the viewer has a ton of knowledge about the genre and is a fan.

On the contrary. I've watched watched a good chunk of shounen style anime over the years. At the age of 29 I'm still just as much of a fan as I was in my teens. That said, there's something about GinTama, when compared to other shows, that just "clicks" with me. I'd have no problem going back and watching the series from start to finish, multiple times. (Already have taken at least two complete runs through the original series so far, with many more partial runs.) Perhaps it's simply due to there being no over arcing story.

Now, where does GinTama stand in my ranking? Nowhere as I don't place any show on an elaborate scale. It's either recommended or not recommended.

/XX/

This is unconfirmed speculation, of course, but could be The Wind Rises (風立ちぬ) Mr. Miyazaki's next movie as a director? Well, some evidences suggest that it is.

Some of those evidences were spotted days ago (http://blog.livedoor.jp/nyussoku/archives/51947498.html, for example) thanks to the NHK documentary Poppy Hill: 300 Days War of Father and Son - Hayao Miyazaki & Goro Miyazaki (http://pid.nhk.or.jp/pid04/ProgramIntro/Show.do?pkey=106-20110820-21-27096) aired this previous month, that included sequences of Hayao Miyazaki working on that next project, and displayed what seems to be characters (Giovanni Battista Caproni, and also its Ca.48 airliner was present) and events (The Great Kantō Earthquake, of 1923) from his illustrated novel published in the magazine Model Graphix.

And now that also on this month's CUT magazine there is an article with Mr. Miyazaki giving more information about the project, including the mention of the protagonist as a "Japanese man who developed weapons of war" (that would be Jirō Horikoshi, of course) and other revealing information, all apparently suggests that buddies like Xavier from Buta Connection (http://www.buta-connection.net/accueil) or Álvaro from Generación GHIBLI (http://generacionghibli.blogspot.com/2011/09/kaze-tachinu-podria-ser-la-nueva.html) are spot-on with this assumption...

So much work for the studio, though, as Toshio Suzuki talked about approximately... 250000 sheets (simply incredible!) as necessary for the animation, and they mentioned a good amount of cuts involving big crowds of people and all that... exhausting!

Geneijin

darkside31337 said:
It's not. I just mean it's a series that at it's heart acknowledges it's absurdity. If it does at least that much for me I can tolerate it. There's some crazy scenes in Naruto
usually involving Sasuke and/or his brother
that are trying to be serious but are just so absurd they are hilarious.

And then there is Bleach. I'm convinced Kubo is a genius because there's no way he's being serious about anything he writes.
So a lack of a better word than being a "shounen parody" series in any sense? Even Yakitate Japan I think isn't so much of a "shounen parody" but a comedy show that parodies.

El Sloth

Banned
Jexhius said:
AnimeGAF is here to give you life lessons.

Note: you shouldn't be writing that you're procrastinating, because that's also procrastinating. Get off the internet!
It's a vicious cycle of F's and funny cat pictures.

-Minsc- said:
On the contrary. I've watched watched a good chunk of shounen style anime over the years. At the age of 29 I'm still just as much of a fan as I was in my teens. That said, there's something about GinTama, when compared to other shows, that just "clicks" with me. I'd have no problem going back and watching the series from start to finish, multiple times. (Already have taken at least two complete runs through the original series so far, with many more partial runs.) Perhaps it's simply due to there being no over arcing story.

Now, where does GinTama stand in my ranking? Nowhere as I don't place any show on an elaborate scale. It's either recommended or not recommended.

Yeah, I know it's a favorite among many. Just busting darkside's balls here.

Articalys

Instro said:
This is really the end result of my gradual built-up annoyance with other shows based on longer-running series that left their anime hanging. My earlier sentiments were possibly a bit of an overreaction, but if they have a second season planned I just wish they'd hurry up and formally announce it. You just shouldn't tease like that unless it's a solid thing.

Blader

/XX/ said:
This is unconfirmed speculation, of course, but could be The Wind Rises (風立ちぬ) Mr. Miyazaki's next movie as a director? Well, some evidences suggest that it is.

Some of those evidences were spotted days ago (http://blog.livedoor.jp/nyussoku/archives/51947498.html, for example) thanks to the NHK documentary Poppy Hill: 300 Days War of Father and Son - Hayao Miyazaki & Goro Miyazaki (http://pid.nhk.or.jp/pid04/ProgramIntro/Show.do?pkey=106-20110820-21-27096) aired this previous month, that included sequences of Hayao Miyazaki working on that next project, and displayed what seems to be characters (Giovanni Battista Caproni, and also its Ca.48 airliner was present) and events (The Great Kantō Earthquake, of 1923) from his illustrated novel published in the magazine Model Graphix.

And now that also on this month's CUT magazine there is an article with Mr. Miyazaki giving more information about the project, including the mention of the protagonist as a "Japanese man who developed weapons of war" (that would be Jiro Horikoshi, of course) and other revealing information, all apparently suggests that buddies like Xavier from Buta Connection (http://www.buta-connection.net/accueil) or Álvaro from Generación GHIBLI (http://generacionghibli.blogspot.com/2011/09/kaze-tachinu-podria-ser-la-nueva.html) are spot-on with this assumption...

So much work for the studio, though, as Toshio Suzuki talked about approximately... 250000 sheets (simply incredible!) as necessary for the animation, and they mentioned a good amount of cuts involving big crowds of people and all that... exhausting!

Is this the autobiography project that he's supposedly working on?

JKTrix

Geneijin said:
Where have you been?

Finishing school! Just got my Bachelors degree in IT. Now I can be unemployed like everyone else!

I did watch a bunch of my old Patlabor DVDs, and somehow got hooked into the SNSD/Kpop thread, lol

Articalys

Hitokage said:
Wherefore = Why/Therefore, Not Where
And this is why nobody ever interprets that scene in Romeo and Juliet correctly.

Anyway, best I can tell, cheapest S&W II is from the first seller here. $34.50 shipped as of now.

e:
Instro said:
I see where you are coming from. I guess I'm not as bothered by it since I know I can just go read the manga if worst comes to worst, even though I usually just wait for the anime like I did with Kaiji and other shows. If it were an anime only series, then I would be pretty annoyed by the way it ended.

Ignoring the teasing and such though I did enjoy the action in the doll battle, and that
Kyohei and Hibino finally got together. I really thought they were gonna leave us hanging on that relationship, which would have been stupid.
Yeah, at least they did resolve that particular plot point.
Only to kill the moment twice later in the same episode lolol

Instro

Articalys said:
This is really the end result of my gradual built-up annoyance with other shows based on longer-running series that left their anime hanging. My earlier sentiments were possibly a bit of an overreaction, but if they have a second season planned I just wish they'd hurry up and formally announce it. You just shouldn't tease like that unless it's a solid thing.
I see where you are coming from. I guess I'm not as bothered by it since I know I can just go read the manga if worst comes to worst, even though I usually just wait for the anime like I did with Kaiji and other shows. If it were an anime only series, then I would be pretty annoyed by the way it ended.

Ignoring the teasing and such though I did enjoy the action in the doll battle, and that
Kyohei and Hibino finally got together. I really thought they were gonna leave us hanging on that relationship, which would have been stupid.

Solune said:
I heard NEETs can become detectives.
The only NEET thing to do.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Not sure why I was expecting better than that from Bandai before I clicked the link :(

I hope they don't have the gall to charge high on Sacred Seven.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom