• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guilty Crown 9

I liked this episode. Very emotional last few minutes there, especially when the orchestrated version of the OP started up. We also get to learn a bit more about Lost Christmas which I've been curious about.

Wish they did more with Jun. The concept of
peering into the subconscious of others
may be an uncommon but not unheard of power, but it's definitely good for character development as it highlights the cognitive dissonance involved with maintaining relationships with loved ones. The Voids are a great way to really understand a person's true feelings and I'm completely expecting this to be another bit of wasted potential when the show finally ends.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Koe de Oshigoto:

The show had it's funny moments, and the artwork was cute. Watching this was really weird, it was like a hentai, and simultaneously a parody of hentai. Or at least, the making thereof. I'm honestly not sure what I think of it, to be frank. It's weird, while the main character isn't actually depicted doing it, it felt far more voyeuristic than a normal hentai, and that kinda bothered me at points. It's very odd, I'd have been less weirded out by a normal hentai than this I think.

Wow, cloud losing to not one but TWO contestants?

That's how you know this poll isn't being held on Gamefaqs...

Given that (for instance) Holo lost to some random haremite I'm not saying that site has better taste than Gamefaqs, but different, clearly.

I hate to say it, but if The Spirits Within had been Advent Children instead, Sakaguchi would likely still be at Square. ;_;

TSW is probably the better movie, though. AC is just a long piece of FF7 fanservice.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
TSW is probably the better movie, though. AC is just a long piece of FF7 fanservice.

Oh no arguments there. I found both enjoyable for completely different reasons. TSW was a visual marvel, but needed a punchier script with better pacing. AC is tons of fanservice, but Nomura excels at that for the most part, so emo-Cloud aside, it worked.

I'm just saying that if TSW had been AC, it likely wouldn't have bombed and cost Sakaguchi his job. Yeah, I know he "resigned", but you know what I mean.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Koe de Oshigoto:

The show had it's funny moments, and the artwork was cute. Watching this was really weird, it was like a hentai, and simultaneously a parody of hentai. Or at least, the making thereof. I'm honestly not sure what I think of it, to be frank. It's weird, while the main character isn't actually depicted doing it, it felt far more voyeuristic than a normal hentai, and that kinda bothered me at points. It's very odd, I'd have been less weirded out by a normal hentai than this I think.
Do you like the taste of condensed milk?

What's a Claire?
You may know her by her weeaboo name, Rightninguuuu.

Articalys

What's a Claire?
uivWL.jpg

Thoraxes

AnimeGAF: Getting me hooked on new fetishes every other night.

I ended up clicking on a video that may or may not be safe to link here.

Let's just say it involved Haruka riding the Vocaloid Len while doing something rather questionable with a leek.

It's quite possible I spent about 5 hours watching anime girls riding horse-machines videos that only show them the waist up because I saw Yayoi doing it first.

zeroshiki

Maybe it was in the white version. Eclair = Lightning.

Fuck, yes, I remember the name Eclair now. Oh my god.

The only thing I remember about FFXIII is Vanille's ass swaying while she ran and those stupid turtles.

Isn't she married by now? Girls having boyfriends lowers their moé factor dramatically. I can only imagine what matrimony entails for that.

Looks like Snow is getting NTR'd

*cue Lafiel rushing out to buy this game*

Thoraxes

Isn't she married by now? Girls having boyfriends lowers their moé factor dramatically. I can only imagine what matrimony entails for that.

If Serah's theme lyrics are any indication, Snow may be NTR'd at the end of the game and Noel is going to leave Serah in her own time alone after she falls in love with him.

But i'm just making guesses right now.

Lightning is still single though.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Fuck, yes, I remember the name Eclair now. Oh my god.
You know you love her! Cake!

Ranma 1/2 live action

Didn't really watch this closely. Just wanted to see who was in it and what it was about. But, the basics are there:
qVFMjl.jpg

Also, middle sister gets an upgrade (in my opinion) and there are guys in
leather bondage
gear.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
I was thinking about going through Touch because I never finished it, but I might wait until there is really nothing to watch.

speedpop

The live action? Already watched it a few years ago sorry :p

It's just the anime that I skipped out on.. probably back when I balked at the 101 episodes and thought I'd never get past 30, which I'm sure I never did. These days I am a bit more relaxed about multiple-season series.

I don't know, I've been in a weird nostalgic mood lately. I never watched Ranma 1/2 back in the day but my better half did and she wants to watch it again with me sometime down the track. I think we're both in bizarre moods - her wanting to watch Rumiko Takahashi anime and me wanting to watch Mitsuru Adachi stuff.

Infinite Stratos 10:

One of the highlights of this show (such as they are) are the OP and ED, which are sung by the seiyuus for the harem. I like both the OP and ED for this show and I'll probably end up listening to them long after I've forgotten everything about this show.

I would have said before the fact that the talents of the director and staff of Macross Frontier were being wasted on this show, which has a ridiculous level of production values and animation quality for what is fundamentally little more than ultra-generic haremshit and ultra-generic mecha fighting thrown into a Vita-Mix blender set to Puree. But considering the sales of this show's BDs and DVDs, I'm actually thinking that the budget for this show was appropriate. Sure, it's inarguably the dumbest show I have ever seen, but a lot of somebodies in Japan bought this show on shiny round discs. So I guess whoever was in charge of this show's production gave it the appropriate budget relative to sales expectations. What that says about the animu fandom in Japan, well, that's not anything I give a fuck about, now is it?

I might as well finish the series up now, only 2 episodes left.

speedpop

Also this may be a silly question but what is the best Gundam to watch? I never bothered with it because when I saw a timeline photo back when Turn A Gundam came out, I just went "wtf?"

I was thinking about simply grabbing The 08th MS Team and maybe watching Turn A.

Pachael

I was thinking about going through Touch because I never finished it, but I might wait until there is really nothing to watch.

If you've been through the manga, part of the appeal is re-watching the scenes and development that the characters go through and identifying certain character lines and the context that they're saying them in.

Nonoriri

If your name is Nonoriri you have to go buy Nanami's tampons.
Also this may be a silly question but what is the best Gundam to watch? I never bothered with it because when I saw a timeline photo back when Turn A Gundam came out, I just went "wtf?"

I was thinking about simply grabbing The 08th MS Team and maybe watching Turn A.

Looks like you already have your answer.

Infinite Stratos 10:

One of the highlights of this show (such as they are) are the OP and ED, which are sung by the seiyuus for the harem. I like both the OP and ED for this show and I'll probably end up listening to them long after I've forgotten everything about this show.

I would have said before the fact that the talents of the director and staff of Macross Frontier were being wasted on this show, which has a ridiculous level of production values and animation quality for what is fundamentally little more than ultra-generic haremshit and ultra-generic mecha fighting thrown into a Vita-Mix blender set to Puree. But considering the sales of this show's BDs and DVDs, I'm actually thinking that the budget for this show was appropriate. Sure, it's inarguably the dumbest show I have ever seen, but a lot of somebodies in Japan bought this show on shiny round discs. So I guess whoever was in charge of this show's production gave it the appropriate budget relative to sales expectations. What that says about the animu fandom in Japan, well, that's not anything I give a fuck about, now is it?

I might as well finish the series up now, only 2 episodes left.
Three, including the recently released OVA.

As for the budget, it does have a big budget in many respects, but couldn't they have done someting about all of the plot holes and stuff that just seems to be missing? Like, how the anime just never bothers to tell you why Britain fell in love with the MC, it happens between episodes. There were plenty more things like that, the plot was either really badly written and scripted, or it was intentionally written to be bad but attract the fans anyway. I'm not sure which it was, really... I mean, is it intentionally so horribly stupid and inconsistent that it's good, or is that an accident, and most of the budget went into other stuff?

On the other hand, while I haven't read them I think that I heard that the LNs have a pretty bad story too, so perhaps it's just being accurate (or improved on?) the source material...

Wait till they make the ineviatable S2 with America, the best girl.

Yeah, I would guess that will happen in S2 as well.

Infinite Stratos 9:

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo289/Un-known_Soldier/vadernoooo-1.jpg
Goddammit.

Just, goddammit.

Godfuckingdammit.

Charlotte is awesome mainly because she more or less says what the audience thinks.

Every time I think that the show has reached it's final Dumb Shift, it manages to evolve to a higher and greater level of Dumb. There was a time when I believed that there was an upper limit to Dumb, after all, once you surpass the Dumb Event Horizon you reach a point where any value higher is irrelevant, there won't be any humans left to consider it anyways. Then I watched this show. I actually wonder, once Dumb surpasses the measurement capability of any instrument humans can construct, is it effectively infinity? Is that what this show's title is supposed to mean? A level of Dumb that is Stratopheric? Infinite Dumbos?

Was this one the beach episode, or was that ep. 8? Whichever of those that was, that one and episode 11 were the two stupidest of the series.

... And yes, on that note, one of the worst episodes is yet to come... it just never stops getting stupider! :D

Infinite Stratos 8:

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo289/Un-known_Soldier/33erdl0.jpg

http://i384.photobucket.com/albums/oo289/Un-known_Soldier/1237405116480-1.jpg

I have no idea what the hell just happened, but holy shit that actually turned out to be awesome.
- Awesome Mecha Fight
- Awesome "Ichika no ecchi."
- Awesome random tsundere violence moments from Japan and China.
- Awesome end to this episode with Germany taking by force what it can't win through negotiations.

Only Charlotte can steal Ichika's heart. He's clueless to everyone else but not to Charlotte. This is as it should be. France > all!
On that last point,
if only the show had stayed that way...

Hmm, next episode is the beach episode.

I'm just going to start referring to everyone by their country of origin. Except for Charlotte.
Referring to the girls by their country of origin is what everyone does, with IS.

speedpop

If you've been through the manga, part of the appeal is re-watching the scenes and development that the characters go through and identifying certain character lines and the context that they're saying them in.

Yeah I tend to read through all of Adachi's stuff because he is one of the few mangaka that has a knack of keeping my attention, and then all of a sudden I've powered through an entire volume without moving. I don't even watch or play baseball yet I loved the heck out of his three main baseball manga.

I think the closest my love for baseball comes is via watching A League of Their Own :p

Looks like you already have your answer.

Danke. Guess I'll stick with those two then. Only reason why I want to watch Turn A is because of YK~

Penguindrum - 22
I'm rooting for Kanba to meet a tragic end where he suffers. Hopefully they don't make a hero out him, he doesn't deserve it.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Speaking of sports anime...

Last Exile Fammy Fan Fan 10:

Hey look, moe hockey!
TOWSyl.jpg

The is is the closest I'll get to seeing a hockey anime, I'm sure. I suppose for Japanese audiences, hockey is foreign and alien enough to be played in a scifi universe.

speedpop

I wouldn't mind a really good soccer anime. I understand there are Captain Tsubasa fans and such but I didn't enjoy it when I watched it ages ago. I've heard that Giant Killing was alright but I watched an episode and it seemed a little tame.

Pachael

Yeah I tend to read through all of Adachi's stuff because he is one of the few mangaka that has a knack of keeping my attention, and then all of a sudden I've powered through an entire volume without moving. I don't even watch or play baseball yet I loved the heck out of his three main baseball manga.

I think the closest my love for baseball comes is via watching A League of Their Own :p

I have a similar view on Adachi works, where it's not necessary to know the ins and outs of the sport but still be able to thoroughly enjoy the storytelling and characterisation. That said, the baseball nuances and strategies that he brings to the table from the sport gives those series a certain charm and grounding to the baseball follower.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I wouldn't mind a really good soccer anime. I understand there are Captain Tsubasa fans and such but I didn't enjoy it when I watched it ages ago. I've heard that Giant Killing was alright but I watched an episode and it seemed a little tame.
GK is pretty tame, yeah. I mean, it has a lot of the standard cliches - unsure rookie, bitter veteran, but it's focused much more on the sports side than Adachi.

Infinite Stratos 11/12 END:

Okay, I'm not gonna lie here. These last two episodes were fabulous. They managed to avoid making the mistake that a lot of other shows make when trying to cobble together an ending for a show which only covers part of the material of a manga or LN, either by rushing through a bunch of shit to try and cover as much as possible, or just randomly coming to stop and telling people to fuck off and go read the manga/LN if they want an actual ending. The show ends at a point which is roughly mid-way through released LN material but does so in a satisfying and conclusive way.

The best part is the last scene where they totally make it look like
Houki is about to "win"
but then the staff are like HA HA HA, NO! After all, a good haremshit never actually declares an official "winner"! They just keep stringing whatever fans they have out forever and ever!

With the huge budget this show had, the almost compulsive use of fanservice for both the female form and also powered suit mechas, the ridiculously meticulous staging and animating of fight sequences, the all-star cast of voice acting, and yet somehow managing to be absolutely the dumbest thing I have ever seen, this show earns a solid rating of "Code Geass" 10. Yes, "Code Geass" is now my official rating for shows which surpass all concepts of rational evaluation with sheer shameless lack of common sense in managing to be terribly awesome, or awesomely terrible. And so incredibly brain-dead that it's amazing the author was able to come up with something that dumb. "Code Geass" 1 is the lowest "Code Geass" rating, and 10 is the highest.

Infinite Stratos:
"The Dumbest Show on Earth"
Final Rating: 10 out of Code Geass

Fuck it, I gotta watch this show again after I get my 64" plasma TV. No, seriously.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
I don't know how anyone can even stay awake during the last two episodes of IS. They beg you to abuse the seek bar and skip through most of the content.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Gundam Unicorn is filled to the brim with cringeworthy dialogue.

How can you guys stand even a minute of this tripe?

He had his lame-o emo moments, but they were not as big a part of his character as the iterative material made his life out. Cloud did totally gnarly stuff like snowboarding, cross-dressing, and Chocobo-breeding too. Plus he wasn't a "whatever" dude, more like a "yeah right" motherfucker.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but Cloud is trash, has always been trash, and will always be trash.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom