• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
EmmanuelMunoz said:
She's still a college student. Her education has not yet finished.
Shakespeare is covered in High School. This should already be known!

Even though High School does suck.

NewFresh

Hitokage said:
Shakespeare is covered in High School. This should already be known!

Even though High School does suck.

Alas, poor Ikarus. I knew her, Hitokage– a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

-Minsc-

Bleach - Current filler arc end.

Yeah, I'm posting about Bleach here.

When you consider the bad track record for shounen filler arcs, I found this one actually turned out quite well. Had some cool battles, especially the final showdown. There was some very nice visual candy in the final episode.

Honestly I liked the villain in this arc more than Aizen. At least this guy actually did stuff and had some depth to him. Plus having a villain
who was constantly getting shit on was definitely a change of pace. Seriously, this guy just couldn't catch a break.

cosmicblizzard said:
Gintama 206

Moe Catherine... wat?
Don't you remember, Catherine was introduced into GinTama as a moe catgirl.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
darkside31337 said:
January 2012.
Ah, sweet.

Geneijin said:
How meta.
Meta meta!

Lafiel said:
Why don't you watch the appartently superior first and second seasons?
Well maybe I will!!!

-Minsc- said:
If the series was not popular the anime never would have been renewed after being on hiatus for a year.

cosmicblizzard said:
Sorachi is in the top 7 most paid mangaka in Japan thanks to Gintama and I'm fairly certain the anime gets good ratings. Yeah, it's no One Piece, but that more than quadruples the number 2 spot, so no competition there. Just being a long running series from Weekly Shounen Jump puts it leagues ahead of every obscure monocle series mentioned in here in terms of popularity (or anything talked about in here really).
But where are the Gintama games then?!

firehawk12 said:

937949_84120_front.jpg
ReRfOl.jpg

933418_76273_front.jpg

flawfuls

firehawk12 said:

From wiki.

In Japan, a PlayStation 2 Gin Tama game, Gintama: Together with Gin! My Kabuki District Journal (銀魂 銀さんと一緒!ボクのかぶき町日記 Gintama Gin-san to Issho! Boku no Kabuki-chō Nikki?), was released on August 30, 2007, and a Wii game, Gintama: General Store Tube: Tsukkomi-able Cartoon (銀魂 万事屋ちゅ〜ぶ ツッコマブル動画 Gintama Yorozuya Chūbu Tsukkomaburu Dōga?), was released on October 25, 2007.[70][71] A game for the Nintendo DS called Gintama: Silver Ball Quest: Gin's Job-Change to Save the World (銀魂 銀玉くえすと 銀さんが転職したり世界を救ったり Gintama Gintama Kuesuto Gin-san ga Tenshoku-shitari Sekai o Sukuttari?) was released on December 6, 2007.[72] Other two games for the DS include Gintama Dee-Ess: Odd Jobs Grand Riot! (銀魂でぃ〜えす・万事屋大騒動! Gintama Dīesu Yorozuya Daisōdō!?) and Gintama: Gintoki vs. Hijikata!? The Huge Fight Over Silver Souls in the Kabuki District!! (銀魂 銀時vs土方!? かぶき町銀玉大争奪戦!! Gintama Gintoki vs Hijikata!? Kabuki-cho Gitama Daisōdatsusen!!?).[73][74] Also, there have been two Nintendo DS games featuring Gin Tama characters so far: the Weekly Shōnen Jump crossover Jump Super Stars and its sequel, Jump Ultimate Stars.

So they used to make them at least.

trejo

Utena 28

D-Did the two of them just
have sex in the back of Akio's moving car while he was riding in the hood with his shirt unbuttoned
? Please say it is so. Polished his sword, indeed.

Also, Ruka is a douche.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
trejo said:
Utena 28

D-Did the two of them just
have sex in the back of Akio's moving car while he was riding in the hood with his shirt unbuttoned
? Please say it is so. Polished his sword, indeed.
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
yes

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Those aren't real games. I mean, Naruto has like five "next gen" games... all published by Ubisoft here, of all people. Heck, they are still making DBZ games!

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Some dumb shounen show 341 - It's rare to see this show have good-looking art for once, the whole flow of the episode was pretty enjoyable to, with some very impressive "explosion" animation, i don't think I'm going watch a another episode of this, unless they get a another impressive team of animators and staff. I'd also probably say it was more entertaining than the 40 minutes i was forced to watch of the first movie of this lulz.

flawfuls

Tales of the Street Corner

Well that was a neat concept for a movie and it was pretty well done, but it just dragged for too long. All the Mushi Pro movies I've seen were way longer than they needed to be. I mean this wasn't one of those 2 hour things that they made, but 40 min is a lot for what is essentially just an animated short minus the short part.

Lafiel said:
Bleach 341 - It's rare to see this show have good-looking art for once, the whole flow of the episode was pretty enjoyable to, with some very impressive "explosion" animation, i don't think I'm going watch a another episode of this, unless they get a another impressive team of animators and staff. I'd also probably say it was more entertaining than the 40 minutes i was forced to watch of the first movie of this lulz.

Yeah, it was great. Too bad it was filler.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Icarus is joining the club of cool people! I found it cheaper somewhere but I'm not sure if they are a dependable place looking around online.

trejo

icarus-daedelus said:
I'm aware. It's probably not permanent and I like physical copies of stuff, book smell, fuck Kindles, etc etc
Damn straight. There's nothing like holding a physical copy of a book in your hands while you're reading it and turning the pages one by one.

Fuck trees.

El Sloth

Banned
Kindles > carrying all that shit with you when you move.
Hitokage said:
Wherefore = Why/Therefore, Not Where
So, "wherefore, your mother is a whore", would be correct?

I need to know for a very important email message.

zeroshiki

Dynedom said:
I'm really digging the Blue Exorcist ending so I decided to check out Meisa Kuroki.

Oh my god. I want to marry her. :(

What does Kuroki Meisa have to do with Blue Exorcist? She is indeed hawt.

She's also in the Space Battleship Yamato Live Action movie.

Dynedom

zeroshiki said:
What does Kuroki Meisa have to do with Blue Exorcist? She is indeed hawt.

She's also in the Space Battleship Yamato Live Action movie.

She does the second Blue Exorcist ED song

edit: I knew she was mixed. There's some Panamanian in her. Om nom nom nom.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
trejo said:
Damn straight. There's nothing like holding a physical copy of a book in your hands while you're reading it and turning the pages one by one.

Fuck trees.

This makes me so sad :(. Trees are your friend.

Hitokage said:
http://i1292.photobucket.com/albums/b572/hknishino/minako8_zps123fcafd.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

I'd make a joke about that face but perhaps that might not be a good idea.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
icarus-daedelus said:
I resent the implication that I was not previously a member of the cool people club! But yeah, trustability is a big factor so I'll probably just go with Right Stuf if I don't see anything better, especially if I can get free shipping.
Awww, I still love ya icarus! We can get a pineapple, stab it in it's chest, cut it open down the middle and feast on it's insides while it's family is crying.

Dresden

trejo said:

Fuck trees.
I'm usually this way but I have no idea what I'm going to do with the boxes of books I've yet to unpack in two years, not to mention all the junk I've since added on to the pile. Maybe Goodwill will take them, all my babies. :(

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Or, I do care and I'm just childishly lashing out because I don't like being upstaged by a mind more pedantic than mine.

So where the hell did the word "cour" come from all of a sudden guys, or am I just extremely imperceptive and this has been a commonly used term all this time?
'Cour' has always been with us in spirit, but it's only recently that it's been used in here as short-hand for a regular season of anime.

Mayo Chiki 12 - This episode was a sort of okay generic harem episode, fine for near the end of a bland and forgettable generic harem show.

That is, it wasn't very interesting, was pretty stupid, and disappointed. Everyone acted like generic harem characters, pretty much. The unique elements that at some points made the show funny, or entertaining, were often absent. For instance, instead of being an awesome troll, Suzutsuki acts like a generic harem girl, pretty much (who knows if it's truth or play-acting, but either way the effect is the same on the MC). The other girls are no better either. There's some pretty lame almost-but-not-really efforts at moving forward the main pair's relationship that ultimately, of course, falter (but not before some theoretically wacky hyjinx and "misunderstandings'!). Zzzz... disappointing indeed. I wonder how the next (and maybe final, we'll see?) episode will go.

mAcOdIn said:
How many times are you going to switch sides here?

Anyways, to go off on a tangent I'm going to rant about something recent, Mayo Chiki 12 to be exact. It goes without saying that this show sucks, I'm only in it now because I've come this far and I mistakenly thought this was the final episode. I was wrong, I guess there's another. Anyways, there's so many things wrong with this show. Like
how you can't trust Kanade, how do we even know she didn't set up Konoe being fired just so what's his name could have some moment here, why would a petition work for a family that fucking kidnaps people at knife point to train their children, why am I watching this shit? And the mains big moment was asking for help from a fan club for a petition, I thought he'd do something manly after his delivery but it was just that, he's not going to fight anyone?

Fuck this show.
I agree, those are all quite valid complaints. That really was not a very good episode, if you need any more reasons why R-15 is the better show, look no further than the substantial difference in quality between their twelfth episodes... but as for the rest of those things, yeah, I agree with all of them, plus the things I mentioned above as well, except for your last point;
I think that getting that petition together was a decent effort for him, not too bad as an action... it's the rest of the episode that made the episode disappointing.

Oh, and while it's certainly unrealistic to believe that a petition would get her father to take Subaru back as a butler, it was inevitably going to happen anyway because this is the way things go in stories like these, anime or no. They could have come up with a bit better reason for it (like saying that the whole thing was indeed orchestrated by Suzutsuki or something), but no, they just leave it as it is, standard movie unbelievable.
Oh well. As you say, it's not like it was a good show anyway.

RuroniZel said:
Mayo Chiki 11-12: A fairly predictable way to end the series (though there's an extra episode incoming I think). Eri Kitamura is the main reason this show has been watchable, but I must admit that girl Subaru is kinda cute at times. Oh and Jiro, leave your man badge on the table and leave the room, you're no longer worthy of wielding it. I should have taken it from you ages ago, but when you're alone in a hotel room with a girl you clearly like who wants you and basically tells you she wants you to fuck her, YOU DON'T TURN IT DOWN. Bleed until you're dry, but you have to take the opportunities you have.
She didn't, though, unless you missed how she kicked him once he made the slightest move towards her. Sure, she might have suggested that maybe in the future she might want to go farther (depending on how you interpret her line), but she wasn't saying anything about the moment. As I said above, it was, of course, a standard harem tv anime "misunderstanding". I called the ending of that scene pretty much from the beginning, and it happened just as expected. Kind of stupid, perhaps, but eh, not too bad really... it's not like they're boyfriend and girlfriend yet, and they are still young.

Dresden said:
Classy, huh? Yeah... sure... but as for whether it'll be any good, we'll have to see.

Jex

hosannainexcelsis said:
I haven't seen the last few episodes of Kamisama Dolls, but can it really be called "Sunrise-d" if a manga adaptation ends in the middle without choosing to create an original ending to wrap things up, which is what I assume happened? I understood the term to refer to a story originally concieved to end in one season being forced to artificially extend its length by management, as in Tiger and Bunny. For instance, Akagi's anime "ending" is very unsatisfying, but I wouldn't call it "Sunrise-d".
That's right, it's really a particular type of ending. A number of manga > anime adaptations have false endings because they haven't adapted all the material, but with Sunrise they are the ones actually creating the material so it's quite different.
duckroll said:
Squid Girl tacos is doing it wrong. It should be Squid Girl takos. :(
You monster, why would you do that?

Jex

cosmicblizzard said:
Again, plenty of people dislike it. They're just mostly outisde of animegaf because only the Shounenbros knew about it here until recently. It's among the most popular series both in and out of Japan, so of course it will get some hate.
I don't care about outside people.
cosmicblizzard said:
AKA boring.
Well, it does lack long filler arcs!

Jex

darkside31337 said:
It's also pretty much better than every obscure monocle series too.
Not really, because it's in an entirely different genre to all of those works, they don't really compare.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
shintoki said:
I feel depressed and down, Time to watch OverDrive!

Love <3
I feel depressed and down, but there's nothing that could cheer me up.

Except maybe Blood-C. But it's not Blood-C Thursday yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom