• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

/XX/ said:
For this, and the presence of fantastic and supernatural elements in it, people has estimated this work as similar to Porco Rosso (something that I'll love to see again in a new film from him).
Certainly. Miyazaki's fondness for that whole period comes across so powerfully in Porco Rosso and the way that Miyazaki weaves the realistic settings with his own fantastical vision really creates a unique experience.

Jex

Terareflection said:
Well, the last season was fun while it lasted. I don't think I'll ever be watching more than one show again.
Well, you see, I think two good shows at once is pretty likely. Once we get to three or above it seems to be a much rarer occurrence.

Then again it depends on what your tolerance is for less-than stellar anime. Is above average acceptable? Good? Or does it have to be very good?

Jex

PdotMichael said:
But I watch animes, so I am automatically a pervert
Well your avatar isn't helping matters. Neither is anime, on a whole. Fanservice is everywhere, except in classy shows like Usagi Drop.

gunbo13

PdotMichael said:
I am now part of the Squid Girl Defence Force, so watch more Squid Girl-geso!
Fixed

I have to catch up on my shows. And whoever told me the manga thread delved beyond shounen mainstream, we need to have some words. HxH, Bleach, Naruto, OMGPOWEROVERLOADZ!!!ZZZzzzzzz...... :(

Anyway, I'm going to catch up on penguin and re-visit some real shit like Champloo, fuck the BS. I also do however have like 5-6 series which are tailing off and I just haven't finished them like ep24 of Gosick for some unknown reason...

jman2050 said:
Listen to this man and sea the power of our Squid overlords.
Unintentional pun?

Jex

PdotMichael said:
Body Pillow - what a strange name for a coffin nail @anime industry
Anime might still be dying, but sweet merch keeps it dragging it's rotting bones forward.

Articalys

Speaking of Ikamusume, and remembering how you were all complaining about Index a few pages back:

2eO0N.png

Instro

Master Milk said:
Kamisama Dolls 13

Even though he's been Super Useless the whole time
, it doesn't feel wrong that he managed to pull his girl. It seems now Super Useless is ready to take some action. Maybe I'll finally remember his name.

Oh wait, that's the last episode. =/
The only time he does anything is to score points with Big Tits. Fuck all that other bullshit, dude just wants some ass.

...geso.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I have no idea how you guys say he's useless.

He literally goes and fights against gods and yandere bros / chicks with his bare fists. And his fists don't even have any powers. He puts up a pretty good fight too.

I like how the central character of the show is essentially just the eyes of the series rather than the guy doing all the heavy lifting

Jex

Dynedom said:
What are you trying to insquiduate here?
I would say something, but that would just draw attention to my earlier pun.

So what anime comedies do people actually regard highly beyond the usual (e.g. not Azumanga Dioah, Fumoffu, Ranma/Urusei Yatsura). I'm thinking about the some what less popular works.

For me it's stuff like Astro Fighter Sunred (which started off as a sentai/Power Ranges parody and kept on growing and expanding), Azazeal-San which is quite recent, Miss Critical Moment (4 minutes of McGuyver-esque madddness) and so forth.

How about you guys? What other comedies do you think are worthwhile?

Dresden

Of recent series, Detroit Metal City at the top for me. Also liked Cromartie, and what I saw of Gag Manga Biyori wasn't too bad; I do find it much more hit-or-miss than the other two.

Soredemo comes to mind - Sunred is also good - and I'm still fond of Seto no Hanayome. And about three episodes of Nichijou.

Dynedom

Great Teacher Onizuka
Seto no Hanayome
Lovely Complex
History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi (although I guess this is more shounen)

And of course

Genishiken

edit: I've heard very good things about Golden Boy

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Jexhius said:

So what anime comedies do people actually regard highly beyond the usual (e.g. not Azumanga Dioah, Fumoffu, Ranma/Urusei Yatsura). I'm thinking about the some what less popular works.

For me it's stuff like Astro Fighter Sunred (which started off as a sentai/Power Ranges parody and kept on growing and expanding), Azazeal-San which is quite recent, Miss Critical Moment (4 minutes of McGuyver-esque madddness) and so forth.

Let me tell you about a show that a lot of people in here like and some people don't. I personally think it's incredibly worthwhile, it's not as popular as some of the shows you listed and is also quite recent.

aEjrG.gif

Jex

Dresden said:
Of recent series, Detroit Metal City at the top for me. Soredemo comes to mind -.[/b]
Wow, this some how slipped my mind. I'm not even sure how that happened considering those episodes are only like 10 minutes each.

darkside31337 said:
Let me tell you about a show that a lot of people in here like and some people don't. I personally think it's incredibly worthwhile, it's not as popular as some of the shows you listed and is also quite recent.

http://i.imgur.com/aEjrG.gif/IMG][/QUOTE]

name?

Steroyd

Hare and Guu, Lovely Complex (till the shoujoness kicks in full gear in the 2nd half), Seto no Hanayome and School Rumble (admittedly never finished it :< ), are worth checking out.

Instro

darkside31337 said:
I have no idea how you guys say he's useless.

He literally goes and fights against gods and yandere bros / chicks with his bare fists. And his fists don't even have any powers. He puts up a pretty good fight too.

I like how the central character of the show is essentially just the eyes of the series rather than the guy doing all the heavy lifting
Not really useless per say, but his whole attitude of not being involved basically either puts him on the sidelines or makes him reactive to every situation. Given the teasing though, it looks like he will get more involved in the future, so at least he's developing.

Jexhius said:

Does Blood-C count?

Would Excel Saga be considered less popular? Probably not I suppose. Detroit Metal City and Cromartie are also great stuff. Loved the comedy in Lovely Complex. That's an interesting topic though since I haven't really seen too many pure comedy shows outside of the most well known ones. I've been meaning to watch Dirty Pair, but haven't really gotten around to it yet.

As far as slightly lesser-known comedy anime goes, I rather like Seto no Hanayome and what I've seen of Hare and Guu. The comedic aspects of Abenobashi were pretty well done. Of course, I absolutely adore Lovely Complex and it's often quite funny, but I wouldn't consider it primarily comedy in the same way the other shows are.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Sentai picked up the show of the year before it even started. Well done.

ANN said:
The anime licensing company Sentai Filmworks announced on Wednesday that it acquired the upcoming television anime series Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere. Weekly episode will begin airing digitally on The Anime Network on Tuesday, October 4 in Japanese with English subtitles. Additional digital outlets and home video releases will follow in 2012.

Jexhius said:

My favorite will always be Sexy Commando. Also a fan of Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan, Bo-bobobobobo, Excel Saga, Hare + Guu, GTO, Gintama of course, Cromartie High School, Eiken, Green Green, Dai Mahou Touge, MM!, 2x2=Shinobuden, Yakitate Japan and more that I can't remember because I don't have them on my ANN for some reason.

This doesn't include battle shounens with a secondary focus on comedy like One Piece and Law of Ueki, both which I find hilarious at times.

Frosteey

Neo Member
I guess I have not even seen all that many pure comedy shows.

School Rumble
Zetsubou Sensei, first season more than the rest but the other two are okay.
Yutori-chan is pretty cute and entertaining.

School Rumble : (

Instro

Kaiji 26
Ha what an ending.
Should have known Endoh was going to fuck him out of his money. I liked they brought back the old OP for the final scenes too, so good.

Outside of some dragging and padding in the latter stages of the bog arc, this season was excellent. Not quite as good as Season 1, but still incredibly compelling anime.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Uchip said:
I made a top10 off the top of my head for female anime characters
wonder if anyone can name them all and become mai friendu

HoRo / 14 year old Yoko / Part Time Boy Soldier Suzuha / Haruko I don't like that show / Eureka she's cool with
short
hair /
Neet
Kurisutina / Stocking is superior to Panty / Nami boobs of transformation / Seras I never actually watched Hellsing / Liru I got nothing witty.

Uchip

Banned
darkside31337 said:
HoRo / 14 year old Yoko / Part Time Boy Soldier Suzuha / Haruko I don't like that show / Eureka she's cool with
short
hair /
Neet
Kurisutina / Stocking is superior to Panty / Nami boobs of transformation / Seras I never actually watched Hellsing / Liru I got nothing witty.

apart from not liking FLCL you get a medal of honor

Dedication Through Light said:
The fourth one is not Sakura Haruno is it...

LOL no
and i pity anyone that would put her in the top anything

Gintama 209

This show still has the best recap episodes. Hasegawa's cardboard song was great. That movie trailer also looks badass, but I assume it isn't real since it seems pretty damn important for the series' canon.

Looks like next episode is when the arc where everything apparently changes begins. Been waiting for this and now I finally get to start it. Better be awesome.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Uchip said:
apart from not liking FLCL you get a medal of honor

In FLCL's defense it's one of my favorite GAINAX shows. I actually managed to get through it all without wanting to quit watching anime.

Friendship medal of honor! Awesome!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
InterSexuality 8-end

Ended up finishing the last three episodes of this drama. It's strange how much like Wandering Son the series ended up being, to the point where it makes me wonder if "coming out" narratives have almost become a cliche now. Given the fact that IS actually uses the English phrase "coming out" (cominguuuuu outooooou) several times at the end makes me wonder if this is a type of "event" that Japanese writers or the Japanese LGBT community in general has glammed in on and taken as their own in order to describe self-actualization through identification.

I'm sure this is a complete misconception, but I get the feeling that Japanese society expects everyone to closet themselves in order to preserve the structured order of society at large, so perhaps the American "coming out" narrative is something they feel like romanticizing and idealizing.

It's too bad that the standard Asian Drama tropes had to plague the series, because in a very different context, this could have been an Oscar/Emmy worthy vehicle for an upcoming young actor/actress in the vein of Boys Don't Cry. Heck, it even had some moments of interesting direction.
Alternatively, I'd probably go back to my original thought about how this would have made a great noitaminA show as well - as a follow up to Wandering Son - but then I realized that it doesn't have mechs in it, so it doesn't fit into that slot anymore.

I guess this raises a question about queer narratives in manga/anime in general. IS and the Shimura texts, for all their faults, seem to suggest a space for queer stories that don't exist in a vacuum - like the upcoming Sekai-ichi Hatsukoi 2. I just don't get why texts that try to reproduce queerness with some verisimilitude have to necessarily be adapted to live action. Aoi Hana and Wandering Son seem to be very unusual and progressive exceptions to the rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom