• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

This is the best/worst part of Angel Beats:

composition.jpg

Jexhius said:
[Angel Beats 2 - Dropped]

This show isn't good, obviously. It's pretty terrible. Not in the haha terrible, but in the bad: characterisation, direction, tone, writing and visual composition departments. I actually felt bad watching it, like, uncomfortable. It's hard to describe, but I don't like it. It's damaging my soul.

Just two episodes in? The first arc didnt even resolve yet. You didnt even reach rocket chair and
tumblr_ljczorke5D1qbxqfpo1_250.jpg

Instro

Jexhius said:
This is the best/worst part of Angel Beats:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/12082922/angel%20beats/composition.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
The big guy in the middle is like, "Wait am I supposed to be in this scene. Who put me in here?"

Lain

hosannainexcelsis said:
Angel Beats 1

This is without a doubt one of the most incompetent shows I've seen on every level: music, animation, direction, writing, everything. Incredibly clumsy storytelling. It takes all the worst flaws of Jun Maeda and PA Works and crams them into a short time span which somehow feels incredibly long due to nothing happening except loads of dumb exposition in some pathetic attempt to get us to care about the world and the one-note characters in it.

Now I understand why "from the director of Angel Beats" is such a pejorative around here.
But the music is good (unless one dislikes JPop) and probably the best part about the whole show.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
icarus-daedelus said:
Angel Beats is probably one of my "favorite" key shows, although I'm not sure that means anything to anyone, even me.

Like whatever you like. I enjoyed Angel Beats. Not the greatest show or whatever but it was worth my time. More than I can say about a lot of shows.

cajunator

Banned
Uchip said:
if you cant name #3 how can you name #6?
and i assume ms perky is nami from one piece, though its not her traditional getup
I've seen a figurine of #6 before. From Steins Gate I think.
I haven't watched that.

However, I find Squid Girl inkteresting so I just put it in my cart:

http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/EGUNYJNYlRDn5SiY7e/browse/item/92354/4/0/0

To continue in my masochistic ways, I think I shall put Oreimo boxset, Simoun, K-ON BR 3, amagami SS, and balance the whole thing out with Utena boxset 3. That should be an excellent mix of shows for now.

cajunator

Banned
I like shows like Ano Hana and Angel Beats. They are mediocre but I don't see a problem with enjoying them. Especially Ano Hana. And I still love the OP to angel Beats. So good.

Jex

icarus-daedelus said:
Angel Beats is probably one of my "favorite" key shows, although I'm not sure that means anything to anyone, even me.
That could mean a lot of things, really.

Jexhius said:
[Angel Beats 2 - Dropped]

This show isn't good, obviously. It's pretty terrible. Not in the haha terrible, but in the bad: characterisation, direction, tone, writing and visual composition departments. I actually felt bad watching it, like, uncomfortable. It's hard to describe, but I don't like it. It's damaging my soul.

I told you ages ago the first 2 episodes sucked and to keep going.

jman2050 said:
But the third episode sucked too.

jman thinks something sucks, news at 11.

cajunator said:
I just counted how many shows Rie is in in my collection and its 16 shows. Holy fuck she is in a lot.

This is actually pretty goddamn impressive considering the total number of shows she has ever been in isn't actually much larger than that.

cajunator said:
Angel Beats was quality throughout.
Your definition of quality may vary of course.

Let's not exaggerate here. It steadily gets better as the series goes on, even though it's only 13 episodes. The first 2 episodes were pretty bad by any measurement, but it gets better and better and by the time you are in the second half it's genuinely quite good. For such a short show it's amazing how marked the quality increase is over such a brief run.

Coxy

aw man I just read a preview for Gundam Age which actually makes it sound really awesome. This is like the Sonic Cycle or something :(

cajunator

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
This is actually pretty goddamn impressive considering the total number of shows she has ever been in isn't actually much larger than that.
She has been in quite a few.
I'll list the ones I have that she was in (not necessarily in a starring role though)

* Excel Saga - Yukari

* Hand Maid May - Cyberdoll Rena

* Cosplay Complex - Delmo
* The Twelve Kingdoms - Taiki, Young Kaname Takasato

* Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha - Alisa Bannings
* Midori Days - Kota Shingyoji
* Ninin ga Shinobuden - Miyabi

* Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan - Sabato-chan
* Elemental Gelade - Tickle "Tilel" Selvatlos
* Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha A's - Alisa Bannings
* Shakugan no Shana - Shana

* Utawarerumono - Kamyu
* Zero no Tsukaima - Louise Françoise le Blanc de la Vallière

* Hidamari Sketch - Chika
* Rental Magica - Mikan Katsuragi, Kaori Katsuragi

* Toradora! - Taiga Aisaka

* Kaichou wa Maid-Sama - Rose (Episode 24)

I guess it is 17, then.
I also was thinking of getting Hayate combat butler so that would be another one.
I guess she is in the types of shows I like so I can't avoid her.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Unknown Soldier said:
Let's not exaggerate here. It steadily gets better as the series goes on, even though it's only 13 episodes. The first 2 episodes were pretty bad by any measurement, but it gets better and better and by the time you are in the second half it's genuinely quite good. For such a short show it's amazing how marked the quality increase is over such a brief run.
I expect short shows to remain quality from the beginning.

Lafiel said:
I expect short shows to remain quality from the beginning.

I expect that one day I'll be rich enough to have a butler and a personal chef.

Expectations are a bitch, Lafieru~

Zero no Tsukaima 4:

This show is still funny. Louise is still Louise. The supporting cast are still the supporting cast. Perverted Gandalf is still Perverted Gandalf.

All is right with the world.

cajunator

Banned
I definitely prefer Haruko Momoi to Rie though. I guess anime goddesses rise and fall.

Oh wait. SHES IN STEINS GATE.

MUST WATCH NOW

Reknoc

Angel Beats 1 - 3

Today's lesson; don't go into something completely blind!

I'm not really sure what to make of it if I'm honest. It's pretty bad, and it seems a bit unsure on its tone. The problem is it's not nearly interesting or entertaining enough in it's badness to be enjoyable to watch. It's the worst kind of bad, the actually boring kind.

I don't really care for the skittles vomit colour scheme either.

cajunator

Banned
Reknoc said:
Angel Beats 1 - 3

Today's lesson; don't go into something completely blind!

I'm not really sure what to make of it if I'm honest. It's pretty bad, and it seems a bit unsure on its tone. The problem is it's not nearly interesting or entertaining enough in it's badness to be enjoyable to watch. It's the worst kind of bad, the actually boring kind.

I don't really care for the skittles vomit colour scheme either.
I went in blind. I came out enlightened.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Angel Beats 1

This is without a doubt one of the most incompetent shows I've seen on every level: music, animation, direction, writing, everything. Incredibly clumsy storytelling. It takes all the worst flaws of Jun Maeda and PA Works and crams them into a short time span which somehow feels incredibly long due to nothing happening except loads of dumb exposition in some pathetic attempt to get us to care about the world and the one-note characters in it.

Now I understand why "from the director of Angel Beats" is such a pejorative around here.
Of course you people were going to hate it, can't possibly challenge AnimeGAF's "we hate Key (because no one else does and we want to be unique)" narrative now can we?

Angel Beats is a very good, high quality show, with good writing, good characters, and a somewhat unique plot. And yes, it does get even better as it goes along.

Jexhius said:
I would say something, but that would just draw attention to my earlier pun.

So what anime comedies do people actually regard highly beyond the usual (e.g. not Azumanga Dioah, Fumoffu, Ranma/Urusei Yatsura). I'm thinking about the some what less popular works.

For me it's stuff like Astro Fighter Sunred (which started off as a sentai/Power Ranges parody and kept on growing and expanding), Azazeal-San which is quite recent, Miss Critical Moment (4 minutes of McGuyver-esque madddness) and so forth.

How about you guys? What other comedies do you think are worthwhile?
Comedy is something that anime can do a decent job at, when it tries... sometimes intentionally, sometimes not, but either way, it can be.

Nichijou is the best comedy series in years, but apart from that... yeah, Pani Poni Dash is a good one, that show's great and very funny. I liked Lucky Star a lot too, but that's not really lesser known. I guess Excel Saga would probably be considered one that people regard highly, yes? Because it's certainly one of the best comedy anime series ever. Abenobashi I also liked, though the last couple of episodes were... kind of odd. Still, I liked it overall. Oh, and looking at the other things that were mentioned, it's hardly one of the great comedy shows, but yes, Dokuro-Chan was kind of entertaining. The concept is so absurd, and it mostly works.

As for unintentional comedy... does something like IS count? :)

cosmicblizzard said:
My favorite will always be Sexy Commando. Also a fan of Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan, Bo-bobobobobo, Excel Saga, Hare + Guu, GTO, Gintama of course, Cromartie High School, Eiken, Green Green, Dai Mahou Touge, MM!, 2x2=Shinobuden, Yakitate Japan and more that I can't remember because I don't have them on my ANN for some reason.

This doesn't include battle shounens with a secondary focus on comedy like One Piece and Law of Ueki, both which I find hilarious at times.
Right, 2x2=Shinobuden was funny, yeah. Entertaining show. So stupid, but entertaining...

I'm not sure which of these I actually highly regard, though. Excel Saga, certainly. Nichijou also, and yes, Ranma. Perhaps Abenobashi and Lucky Star as well. But the others... I'm not sure, what's the difference between a show that you found entertaining and funny, and one that you genuinely highly regard? The latter seems like a higher standard, tougher to meet.

Also, so much anime has SOME humor in it that it's hard to separate out pure comedy shows from the rest -- that's why I haven't mentioned, say, Slayers, which has some quite funny comedy episodes here and there, but is also a fantasy action show the rest of the time. Slayers is a favorite series of mine, but most anime tries to have comedy somewhere. That's why I'd separate out things like Excel Saga, Lucky Star, Nichijou, Abenobashi Mahou Shoutengai, and PaniPoni Dash from the rest -- those are clearly comedy first, anything else maybe. Many of the rest of the shows being mentioned (including some I mentioned) are other things first, comedy second... when I think of listing good comedy shows I would mostly think of that kind, not other things that also have comedy in them, because of how much such stuff there is so if you start doing that, where would you stop?

cajunator said:
I definitely prefer Haruko Momoi to Rie though. I guess anime goddesses rise and fall.

Oh wait. SHES IN STEINS GATE.

MUST WATCH NOW

Steins;Gate is the real shit. Everything else I've liked this year has been a bunch of fake-ass shit by comparison.

Zero no Tsukaima 5:

This show is pretty notable for being enjoyable in and of itself. Even if I didn't care the slightest bit about Rie voicing Louise it would still be a lot of fun. It's actually a pretty damn good show even if you remove the fact that it's a Rie Kugimiya vehicle, something that I really couldn't say for Boring Shana or even for Badass Aria.

Rie also sings the EDs for this show herself. <3

icarus-daedelus said:
I don't think you understand. I have a tortured relationship with KEY-related properties. Unfortunately, in this case, I am not the torturer. :(

Angel Beats! was not that bad imho compared to other KEYs but then I bet everyone gets Stockholm Syndrome after enough exposure.

Anime is lucky enough to exist in a bubble where only myopic otakus will bother watching its horrible cliche-ridden pandering and thus it is somewhat immune to real criticism unless you consider fanboys and fangirls to be remotely critical.

"no one else" (what?) hates Key shit because no one outside of the tiny nerd subculture that is animu fandom would touch it, probably, but try and use that to paint negative opinions as invalid if you like. Good writing? Days of Our Lives has better...fuck it I'm going to bed.

Of course if you enjoy it, hey, whatever makes you happy.
I know I've said it repeatedly, but all you have to do is look ... um, almost anywhere else and you should be able to tell that no, the exact opposite of this is true. It's animegaf and it's extreme Key hate that is the exception. Even the rest of GAF doesn't agree with animegaf's anti-Key people, as you can see with how Angel Beats finished near the top of the list in the "best anime of 2010" thread.

cajunator

Banned
Dai Mahou Touge (Magical Witch Punie Chan) and Dokuro Chan are absolute genius and well worth owning. Same crazy fucking director too. I recommend both of these.
2X2=shinobuden is also a unique brand of humor, but more of the scatological variety and certainly not for everyone.

cajunator said:
Dai Mahou Touge (Magical Witch Punie Chan) and Dokuro Chan are absolute genius and well worth owning. Same crazy fucking director too. I recommend both of these.
This is true. Insane shows, but that's why they were made, to be crazy. :)
2X2=shinobuden is also a unique brand of humor, but more of the scatological variety and certainly not for everyone.
2x2=shinobuden isn't scatological humor focused... the TV version of Hen Semi was, and that's why it was so bad, but 2x2=shinobuden wasn't, no. I don't know why you'd say that, because I don't even remember it ever having any humor of that kind at all. It is a pretty funny show though, maybe in a way slightly like Lucky Star in that there's a definite otaku theme to some of it?

Zero no Tsukaima 6:

OH GOD DERE LOUISE HNNNNNNNNNG

I love how the "Staff of Destruction" is a
shoulder-mounted rocket launcher. It's actually a LAW, oddly enough. This is the same LAW you can fire in lots of military-themed shooers where a rocket launcher is an available weapon.

cajunator

Banned
Oh certainly I am an expert on cuteness in anime, and that monstrocity up there is not cute (to be fair her character design is)
But this is approaching some kind of twisted monocle territory, so I'll leave at that.
Haruko Momoi is the original anime goddess and Kugimiya Rie is a pretender.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom