• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn. I somehow managed to fall even further behind on every series I'm watching during September due to being focused on other stuff. And now Japan is putting out even more shows at the same time the playoffs are starting up? Not cool.

Still, I'll try and catch up as best I can, because I get to watch things like...

Mawara Penguindrum 8:
Holy shit. Godtier show confirmed. That was just an incredible experience, from the crazy highs and lows up to the scene with them at the end out in the rain. It was an emotional experience with a great look into both Shouma and Ringo's characters, and it also had more great hijinks. I'm not sure that we're worthy of this show.

Instro

Jexhius said:
It's got really good art design as well:

http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/loghmyconquestistheseao.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/Strategical_Planning_Centre_BD.jpg[IMG]
[IMG]http://i835.photobucket.com/albums/zz278/Jexhius/Friedrich_IV_BD.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]
It's too bad Tytania didn't look that good.

Jex

trejo said:
Penguindrum 12As far as the narrative goes, the implications here are quite interesting. I have to say, I don't have a single clue where the show goes from here and I fucking love that.
I don't even know where we've gone, let alone where they are going.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Mayo Chiki 13: Huh... what a weird way to end a series. It's not an ending, a cliffhanger, or has anything to do with the harem... so I'm almost baffled at what they were trying to do by ending it with such a weird episode. It almost feels like a lost episode that they just threw in as a DVD extra rather than an episode of the series proper.

Anyhoo, along with some weird cameos from some bad animes such as
bad Aria and Kampfer's Natsuru
, this episode was littered with Danny Choo's girl:
7vR3j.jpg

It's weird how she just kept appearing over and over again in this two minute scene. Yuck.

Jex

firehawk12 said:
Anyhoo, along with some weird cameos from some bad animes such as
bad Aria and Kampfer's Natsuru
, this episode was littered with Danny Choo's girl:

It's weird how she just kept appearing over and over again in this two minute scene. Yuck.
Haha, wow, that's kind of...erm...I don't approve. But only because it sounds supremely blatant and annoying.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
DY_nasty said:
I have returned. And LOGH is a masterpiece.

Anything that came out over the past 6 months worth watching? I'm really hyped for Guilty Crown.
Penguin drum.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jexhius said:
Haha, wow, that's kind of...erm...I don't approve.
I respect that fact that he made something out of nothing... by somehow forcing himself into the industry via a Storm Tropper uniform.

Planetes 14

You know I usually find it incredibly difficult to care about anime romances, but
Tanabe and Hachimaki's
is pretty good. I actually want that to be a success unlike most ones where I hope the couple dies a horrible death.

Dresden

DY_nasty said:

Anything that came out over the past 6 months worth watching? I'm really hyped for Guilty Crown.
Penguindrum, man.

Motherfucking Penguindrum.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
DY_nasty said:

Steins;Gate

That's really about it in terms of true masterpieces.

Instro

DY_nasty said:

Penguin Drum and Usagi Drop...Kaiji S2 if you watched the first season.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Penguin drum 12 - Really beautiful episode, it's hard to say anything about it without spoiling, but the execution and direction was god-tier level as far I'm concerned, and best of all it completely changed my perception of where the story is going now, so excited for next week.:)

Jex

firehawk12 said:
I respect that fact that he made something out of nothing... by somehow forcing himself into the industry via a Storm Tropper uniform.
Some how, in my mind, Storm Trooper uniform got linked with 'Nazi Uniform'. So now Dany Choo is making himself something out of nothing wearing a Nazi Uniform...this doesn't bode well for the future.

Branduil

And I will pray that the protection of Saya be bestowed upon canova, whoever he is.

Seriously though, my mind is melting from the anime I have been favored to witness today.

Uchip

Banned
Lafiel said:
Penguin drum 12 - Really beautiful episode, it's hard to say anything about it without spoiling, but the execution and direction was god-tier level as far I'm concerned, and best of all it completely changed my perception of where the story is going now, so excited for next week.:)

bullshit
you didnt have a clue where the story was going in the first place

anyway, about the episode
I find it impossible to care that Himari died when the penguin cap version has gotten more screen time than her (and even then its not much).
The show itself summed her up in one sentence "she loves to cook and worry about her brothers"...yea thats pretty much all we know.

Its not my favourite show, but they do continue to introduce more bizzare concepts and characters so it stays interesting enough for me to be interested

Jerk

Banned
That was really well done. A shining light in the depressive haze that is anime.

I now have to re-watch all 12 episodes with this newfound lens.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Uchip said:
bullshit
you didnt have a clue where the story was going in the first place

anyway, about the episode
I find it impossible to care that Himari died when the penguin cap version has gotten more screen time than her (and even then its not much). Its not my favourite show, but they do continue to introduce more bizzare concepts and characters so it stays interesting enough for me to be interested

I'm with you on Himari but for completely different reasons. Her death is so less significant the second time around. It's like dying in shounen series, can't take that stuff seriously when a magic penguin hat acts as a plot tool to prop her lifeless corpse back up. For the series sake, I hope she stays dead and the characters are able to move on. But obviously that's not going to happen, they are going to defile her dead body one more time.

JKTrix

I didn't really know anything about this Sarin incident before someone mentioned it a little while ago. Read up on it and now my mind is kind of blown. Seems a lot of stuff I've consumed has gotten some inspiration from it.

Ikuhara even mentions it in this 1998 interview he did with Anno
http://www.cjas.org/~leng/anno-ikuhara.txt

Branduil said:
And I will pray that the protection of Saya be bestowed upon canova, whoever he is.

Seriously though, my mind is melting from the anime I have been favored to witness today.

I guess your Anti-virus subscription ran out...

Welcome back.

Jex

JKTrix said:
I didn't really know anything about this Sarin incident before someone mentioned it a little while ago. Read up on it and now my mind is kind of blown. Seems a lot of stuff I've consumed has gotten some inspiration from it.

Ikuhara even mentions it in this 1998 interview he did with Anno
http://www.cjas.org/~leng/anno-ikuhara.txt
This explains everything. Well, not quite.

Hitokage said:
Too lazy to form coherent sentences and type them out. Well, aside from this show shaping up to be the first A Grade (9-10/10) anime made since 2007.

I would argue there have been a few A Grade anime made since then (Trapeze/Kuuchuu Buranko for starters), but Mawaru Penguin Drum is certainly something very special.

Jerk

Banned
darkside31337 said:
I'm with you on Himari but for completely different reasons. Her death is so less significant the second time around. It's like dying in shounen series, can't take that stuff seriously when a magic penguin hat acts as a plot tool to prop her lifeless corpse back up. For the series sake, I hope she stays dead and the characters are able to move on. But obviously that's not going to happen, they are going to defile her dead body one more time.

I do not think they were aiming to garner much from the audience by finally letting her die. I mean, they have been purposefully cheating her of development since day 1. Her long-awaited death is the LEAST of what happened this episode

hosannainexcelsis said:
I would argue there have been a few A Grade anime made since then (Trapeze/Kuuchuu Buranko for starters), but Mawaru Penguin Drum is certainly something very special.

I think the most recent Winter season had two such shows. Still, Mawaru Penguindrum is pretty amazing. It's surpassed pretty much everything to come out in recent years.

duckroll

Uchip

Banned
Jerk said:
I do not think they were aiming to garner much from the audience by finally letting her die. I mean, they have been purposefully cheating her of development since day 1. Her long-awaited death is the LEAST of what happened this episode

so what DID happen this episode? its all so crazy, like some sort of half life 2 fanfiction

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
duckroll said:
You should get this book and read it: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0375725806/?tag=neogaf0e-20

It's really good.
I should read that and re-read super frog saves tokyo because of penguin drum.:)
Too lazy to form coherent sentences and type them out. Well, aside from this show shaping up to be the first A Grade (9-10/10) anime made since 2007.
To be honest, i haven't felt this excited about a currently airing anime since Gurren lagann in 2007.:) that said they were two A-grade shows made between 2007 and 2011, penguin drum is the third one.:p

Jerk said:
I gotta wonder
if her complete lack of characterization was intentional on the shows part, regardless i thought the death really worked well on a emotional level because of how good the execution and direction of the sequences was

Jerk

Banned
Lafiel said:
I should read that and re-read super frog saves tokyo because of penguin drum.:)

To be honest, i haven't felt this excited about a currently airing anime since Gurren lagann in 2007.:) that said they were two A-grade shows made between 2007 and 2011, penguin drum is the third one.:p

2 things:

1: Which shows are you referring to?

2: What happened to 7th?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Jerk said:
I do not think they were aiming to garner much from the audience by finally letting her die. I mean, they have been purposefully cheating her of development since day 1. No, her death is the LEAST of what happened this episode

I'm not exactly sure how you can say that about this episode of PengDrum:

Her re-Death is the most important thing that happens in this episode. It's a catalyst yet again for what will propel the story, the relationship between the two supposed brothers, the significance of a new focal character and the dark bunnies, re-establishing the significance of the diary (aka the only way to bring her back from the dead).

The other stuff in the episode is backstory. It defines to a certain extent the relationship and the "fate" between Shoma and Ringo but honestly that's about it and perhaps the notion that the two brothers aren't related at all. Or something.

I'm not exactly sure what you would consider the most important development in the episode. It would certainly seem like Himari's re-Death is the most important thing unless I am completely missing something, the episode starts with Kan-chan getting a call saying his sister is going to die yet again and then they spent the entire 2nd half of the episode with some music playing driving the point home that she's dead. Possibly. Maybe. Perhaps.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Jerk said:
2 things:

1: Which shows are you referring to?

2: What happened to 7th?

1. Trapeze and Tatami galaxy

2. Banned for a month for The Prestige spoilers in this very thread.

DY_nasty said:

From the spring season, we got Kaiji S2, Dororon Enma-Kun Meramera, [C], Sket Dance, Toriko, Deadman Wonderland, Blue Exorcist.

From summer, we got Blood-C, Usagi Drop, Sacred Seven, Kamisama Dolls.

Lots of good stuff from the last 6 months.

Uchip

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
From the spring season, we got Kaiji S2, Dororon Enma-Kun Meramera, [C], Sket Dance, Toriko, Deadman Wonderland, Blue Exorcist.

From summer, we got Blood-C, Usagi Drop, Sacred Seven, Kamisama Dolls.

Lots of good stuff from the last 6 months.

apart from Kaiji and Usagi drop, im not sure how you can put Madoka and Steins;Gate beneath shows like Blood-c etc

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Uchip said:
apart from Kaiji and Usagi drop, im not sure how you can put Madoka and Steins;Gate beneath shows like Blood-c etc

Madoka was more than 6 months ago. CHEATER.

Also Steins;Gate is a must watch. Seriously. The nothing between 2007 and 2011 is a bit outlandish, although I find the notion that Penguindrum being the savior a bit outlandish itself.

Branduil

DY_nasty said:

Saving anime tier:

Penguin Drum
Usagi Drop

Good tier:

Hanasaku Iroha
Madoka
Redline

CODE GEASS tier:

Blood-C

Jerk

Banned
darkside31337 said:
I'm not exactly sure how you can say that about this episode of PengDrum:

Her re-Death is the most important thing that happens in this episode. It's a catalyst yet again for what will propel the story, the relationship between the two supposed brothers, the significance of a new focal character and the dark bunnies, re-establishing the significance of the diary (aka the only way to bring her back from the dead).

The other stuff in the episode is backstory. It defines to a certain extent the relationship and the "fate" between Shoma and Ringo but honestly that's about it and perhaps the notion that the two brothers aren't related at all. Or something.

I'm not exactly sure what you would consider the most important development in the episode. It would certainly seem like Himari's re-Death is the most important thing unless I am completely missing something, the episode starts with Kan-chan getting a call saying his sister is going to die yet again and then they spent the entire 2nd half of the episode with some music playing driving the point home that she's dead. Possibly. Maybe. Perhaps.

My point is that it is the currents from her death that are significant and that the audience gives a damn about. Himari herself has been on borrowed time since day 1 and almost 0 effort has been put into developing her. She was never really important to the audience beyond her importance to her brothers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom