• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Sketama: Yeah, after the Gin Dance episode, this was mostly more of the same and fairly boring. They even did the same seiyuu joke. It doesn't help that I kept thinking how weird the Gintama characters looked because they redid them to fit Sket Dance's character designs.

Strangely, neither crossover really made a compelling case to check Sket Dance out...

Dynedom

Regulus Tera said:
It's a trilogy? D:

No. I'm just pointing out that the director could troll us in his movie as well and turn it into a trilogy without any hint prior. You know, we have to "trust him".

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Blood-C (Finale) - That was genuinely amazing in every way, great action, well-directed, well-paced, good animation, the writing was totally CLAMP but it worked well with the absolute chaos that was on display in this episode.

So the movie is going be basically
saya going out for REVENGE on the people who wronged her?
can't WAIT.:D :D :D

Also on a another note this was way more satisfying than a certain show back in spring starting with C...

e_i

So, the Horizon show has Sunrise behind, with a lead guy (who I want to punch) voiced by Jun Fukuyama, a shitload of girls with big tits, possible lesbians, and it's coming from the director of Dragonaut? This'll be A FUCKING TRAIN WRECK. I'm going to watch this hard.

Damn, I want to punch the lead guy, just from watching the PVs.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Lain said:
I like them all, so whoever wins, it's good.

That's against the rules!

I wonder how the 2 Index girls vs Sayaka matchup plays out. Hopefully Sayaka squashes.

I don't even think a Kana Hanazawa girl can stop Tomoe. So moe it's in her name.

Blood-C 11-12

This was an amazing experience. The action in the last episode especially was very impressively animated and directed. This ended up quite enjoyable and I greatly look forward to the movie. Sometimes it's nice to sit back and watch some solid popcorn entertainment.

Not that I would eat popcorn while watching this. Or anything. Even with the lazy censorship, it's so brutal!

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
hosannainexcelsis said:
Blood-C 11-12

This was an amazing experience. The action in the last episode especially was very impressively animated and directed. This ended up quite enjoyable and I greatly look forward to the movie. Sometimes it's nice to sit back and watch some solid popcorn entertainment.

Not that I would eat popcorn while watching this. Or anything. Even with the lazy censorship, it's so brutal!

I was eating popcorn and drinking some Modelos. It really wasn't that gruesome. The censor bars, blots and screens took away from the moment a bit.

Although the part where one of the twins gets ripped apart by her legs was so damn awesome even butchered by censors and lack of specific detail.

I'm definitely buying the BR of the series. At least the last volume because the last 2 episodes are totally worth watching again, especially in uncensored form.

Jexhius said:
Bashing the ever loving crap out of KEY is not something that's GAF only, it's found in pretty much any anime blog/review/podcast site that actually has trustworthy opinions.
You mean ones that have opinions that agree with you, I assume.

gunbo13 said:
I watched the last episode of Shinobuden again yesterday, after it was mentioned, and yeah, it's still a really funny comedy series... :)

weeaboo said:
So GAF, this is part of the Skyward Sword (new Zelda) plot

We clearly need a Zelda moe-of-life animu, it's now or never
Yeah, and then I think she gets kidnapped like usual and you have to rescue her. Nintendo... :(

hosannainexcelsis said:
I have vocally defended Key in the past because I do enjoy some of their stories (Kanon 2006, Clannad VN) and have felt they get too much hate here when they can construct enjoyable characters and effective, if manipulative, drama. So don't try to pretend like I had some preexisting agenda that made me blind to the true quality of Angel Beats. No, it is just that bad. I could not find any redeeming value in the first episode to give me a good reason to keep watching. It is by far the worst Key-related thing I have experienced.
Angel Beats is probably Key's best anime, and that's saying something because I really like Kanon. It's either better than or almost as good as Kanon overall, anyway, certainly.

jman2050 said:
No, you're not doing this Appeal to Majority BS. Not to mention how you try to claim a majority while completely ignoring icarus's actual point, which is anime in general, including KEY stuff, exists in a space with no real critical platform because it's only catered to specific niche of people and the majority of people willing to invest themselves in talking about a particular series are the ones who like it.
This is true about a lot of things though, so I don't know how good a point that is. I mean, it's true, but in terms of anime, videogames, etc, it quite often is...

There are exceptions, but they are just that: exceptions. This particular community happens to be filled with a bunch of idiots like myself that will willingly attempt to watch anything that comes out and talk about it, because it's fun. And it's fun precisely because for the most part we can air out whatever accolades or denouncements for any series we like while filtering out the inherent biased nature of fanbase circlejerks. So don't try to tell us that "everyone else likes KEY you all are just a bunch of haters" with a straight face because it's bullshit. It's like me claiming that everyone loves Ar Tonelico because I can't find a lot of criticism for it online. It's even more baffling because going by your rules, you supporting Nichijou is wrong because no one at large gives a shit about it.
You are a bunch of haters, though. You just seem to think that because you say you're right it doesn't apply or something.

As for Nichijou, sure, I do think that should be more acclaimed... I didn't mean that I think more popular things are better, or something. I dislike many popular shows after all. Just that I don't think the degree of hate Key gets is representative of anything beyond a vocal part of animegaf. And people are free to dislike it, sure, it's just that this "Key is actually horrible" narrative that's been created is completely ridiculous.

I mean, would Key haters be so vocal in their hate if Key wasn't popular? Seems unlikely... the strength of the Key bashing is a reaction to something. And there are good reasons that Key is popular, mostly in their strong storywriting skills.

On that note, Angel Beats is an interesting departure for Key, in that it's their first series that isn't a harem show... that definitely gives it a different feel
particularly once you figure out what the central relationship is

I guess Key storytelling and characters are a love-or-hate thing, though. They sure seem to be anyway.

Jexhius said:
I didn't think they'd suck this bad.
The show starts changing focus somewhat after episode two. It's got a lot to get through and not many episodes to do it in, the story needs to keep moving and it does...

Dynedom said:
Ergo Proxy. Then again, maybe I just didn't get it.
I can't think of much Blood-C and Ergo Proxy have in common, no... um, unless you're referring to the fact that lots of people die in both shows, but that happens in plenty more shows than just those two. (Ergo Proxy is a quite good show, and does make sense eventually...)
Infinite Justice said:
remember, GAF -> internet-> GAF
Yup!

RurouniZel said:
He should go for Kanade anyway. Much hotter, sexier voice, and he's definitely an M, where she's an S. A perfect(?) match!
As long as we're talking about normal Kanade, and not the more dere-ish version seen in ep. 12, that'd be fine with me... my only qualm would be wondering if he actually deserves her, I mean she's so much more awesome than he is. :)

Uchip said:
blood-c end
what a joke.
The irony is that even when the characters arent acting, they're still so very fake.
The budget seemed less like a poor student work this time and closer to an actual show but everything still looked like it was made out of clay. At least we got to see them all die... again? its like they know their target audience is gore fans, but they cant even hold that end of the deal up and use giant black censor bars even in the final episode.

I dont expect much from the movie
3/10

I assure you they are joking around
They're either joking or have a strong taste for horribly conceived, completely nonsensical and impossible to believe violence. I imagine there's some of each, but yes, I certainly wouldn't exactly say much of anything positive about the show, considering how moronic and nonsensically impossible to believe the show is almost all of the time.

EmmanuelMunoz said:
People love the taste of crap
Hopefully that's the reason...

Geneijin

e_i said:
So, the Horizon show has Sunrise behind, with a lead guy (who I want to punch) voiced by Jun Fukuyama, a shitload of girls with big tits, possible lesbians, and it's coming from the director of Dragonaut? This'll be A FUCKING TRAIN WRECK. I'm going to watch this hard.

I'm ready. Are you ready?

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Dresden said:

At least the rest of her anatomy matches the boobs. Definitely does not look like the novel cover where the girl has the world's largest boobs along with the world's smallest hips.

e_i said:

Get your popcorn ready and strap in. All aboard the glorious trainwreck.

I'm going to be legitimately annoyed if this show is actually not what I'm expecting at all and is actually a coherent story with interesting characters that stays grounded and thus is incredibly boring.

Sketama

Well that was... odd. It's like they just decided to forego the purpose of both shows and make random jokes. A few were funny, but most were eh. Massive disappointment after the incredible 24 and 25.

duckroll

Penguin Drum Ep12

I'm not going to say much about this episode at all, other than it was very well directed. This is a major episode that changes the entire context of the series up to now, and I feel that most of the opinions I had on the series as a whole previously, no longer apply. Both the good and the bad. Regarding the contents of the episode itself, I hope everyone watches it and decides for themselves whether they like where it is going, don't rely on impressions for ep12, they are all pointless, make up your own mind.

duckroll said:
Penguin Drum Ep12

I'm not going to say much about this episode at all, other than it was very well directed. This is a major episode that changes the entire context of the series up to now, and I feel that most of the opinions I had on the series as a whole previously, no longer apply. Both the good and the bad. Regarding the contents of the episode itself, I hope everyone watches it and decides for themselves whether they like where it is going, don't rely on impressions for ep12, they are all pointless, make up your own mind.

So a possible Moral Event Horizon then?

I just finished watching this series from 2009 I think called Needless.

Apart from the first few epsiodes the entire series was set over one long drawn out battle!
(24 episodes)

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Mad Bull 34 1-4

This show is what happens when you sit in a room and write adolescent fantasies without any regard for how any of society's institutions work. Why research police work, legal proceedings, journalism, or even believable physics when you can make tits bounce and shit blow up.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Hitokage said:
Mad Bull 34 1-4

This show is what happens when you sit in a room and write adolescent fantasies without any regard for how any of society's institutions work. Why research police work, legal proceedings, journalism, or even believable physics when you can make tits bounce and shit blow up.
Best description ever.

duckroll

Idolmaster Ep13

Decent climax to the first half of the series. Some of the writing and stuff in the middle of the episode was really lazy, and lowered my opinion on the overall episode. Cheap cliched attempts at drama never goes over well. The animation in the "A" scenes towards the end were really nice, but the entire episode was literally filled with "C" scenes to make up for it. Really inconsistent. I'm not disappointed by how this big event episode turned out, but it's far from the best episode of the series, and it could definitely have been much better.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
duckroll said:
Penguin Drum Ep12

I'm...I'm scared.

Also, this thread is making me want to pick Blood-C back up. Animegaf, what are you doing to me?

zeroshiki

Legend of the Galactic Heroes 1-13

imagesqtbnANd9GcQx5ySZU4cB1kLZntaYo.jpg

I decided that I'd been putting it off long enough and dived head long into this long series. I realized I was exactly at 1 cour so I thought I'd write something about it.

I have to say, I'm a sucker for space opera and this show pushes all the right buttons for me. Political maneuverings and military strategy are the order of the day and the cast is massive. The exposition can get unwieldy at times (you can tell its adapted from a novel since the narrator gives really long backstory for setup episodes) but the characters are all developed marvelously (so far).

The only complaint I have is that the Galactic Empire is more interesting by magnitudes over the Free Planets Alliance for me so much so that the alternating nature of the episodes is kinda jarring. You're watching awesome political backstabbing and scheming in Odin one episode and then the next, Yang laments his position yet again and we get to watch how democracy fails us all in fictionalized form.

Reinhard is the most magnificent bastard ever. Lelouch has nothing on this dude, siscon and all.

I'm only up to episode 13 but I can already feel that this will be one of the best shows I've ever seen. I'm kinda excited.

trejo

Blood-C 12

This is the Blood-C finale. (NSFW)

Except replace
the zombies with extras in a wacky experiment and Lionel with oversized monster bunnies. Also add what has got to be an unhealthy amount of CLAMP for good measure.
It is as amazing and hilarious as it sounds.

Bring on that goddamned movie. I don't care anymore.

-Minsc-

firehawk12 said:
Sketama: Yeah, after the Gin Dance episode, this was mostly more of the same and fairly boring. They even did the same seiyuu joke. It doesn't help that I kept thinking how weird the Gintama characters looked because they redid them to fit Sket Dance's character designs.

Strangely, neither crossover really made a compelling case to check Sket Dance out...
For the record, in the manga versions the Sket Dance side of the crossover was released first. When I read the two chapters I personally enjoyed the Sket Dance chapter more. In the anime however, GinTama stole the thunder airing first. Especially when they ripped off the voice actor gag.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Dynedom said:
No. I'm just pointing out that the director could troll us in his movie as well and turn it into a trilogy without any hint prior. You know, we have to "trust him".
He will protect us.
Articalys said:
So Saya for Saimoe 2012 then?

On that note, today's matches:
Mami is gonna steamroll the competition.

Reborn 86-90

Mukrowl! Vongola Primo looked cool, Vongola Quarto with the fork, of all the weapons in the mix his is the worst. Everything feels slow paced but I still think its a nice attempt at bringing the manga to life.

NeonZ

-Minsc- said:
For the record, in the manga versions the Sket Dance side of the crossover was released first.

It was translated first. Both were released in the same Shounen Jump.

JKTrix

Hell yeah LoGH.

Also I started watching Steins Gate again after dropping its first episode. Since I got nothin' else to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom