• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2011 Fall Anime Thread - Bad Shows & Self Hating Nerds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Instro

Uchip said:
bullshit
you didnt have a clue where the story was going in the first place

anyway, about the episode
I find it impossible to care that Himari died when the penguin cap version has gotten more screen time than her (and even then its not much).
The show itself summed her up in one sentence "she loves to cook and worry about her brothers"...yea thats pretty much all we know.

Its not my favourite show, but they do continue to introduce more bizzare concepts and characters so it stays interesting enough for me to be interested
Thats pretty untrue considering the whole of episode 9 was dedicated to her and her backstory, which was rather significant.

cajunator

Banned
cosmicblizzard said:
Planetes 14

You know I usually find it incredibly difficult to care about anime romances, but
Tanabe and Hachimaki's
is pretty good. I actually want that to be a success unlike most ones where I hope the couple dies a horrible death.
That show is really good. I can only say keep watching, because I don't want to spoil a damned thing about it.

cosmicblizzard said:
From the spring season, we got Kaiji S2, Dororon Enma-Kun Meramera, [C], Sket Dance, Toriko, Deadman Wonderland, Blue Exorcist.

From summer, we got Blood-C, Usagi Drop, Sacred Seven, Kamisama Dolls.

Lots of good stuff from the last 6 months.

I find your lack of Penguins, Flower and Tigers disturbing.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Jerk said:
My point is that it is the currents from her death that are significant and that the audience gives a damn about. Himari herself has been on borrowed time since day 1 and almost 0 effort has been put into developing her. She was never really important to the audience beyond her importance to her brothers.

That's a fair point and I agree with you. Since day 1 Himari has been nothing but a plot device (I won't go as far now as to say she's a MacGuffin) and has had virtually no development. I have never once cared for her as a character at all, but it seems quite apparent to me just by reading other peoples thoughts in here, that Himari was somehow a relevant character to them.

If you made the connection she's irrelevant to the story and it's merely her Penguin alter ego that matters then yeah I totally get where you're coming from. But the series definitely tries to drive home on the fact that the real dead Himari is now really super dead. That's where I lost the connection from this episode.

cajunator

Banned
Branduil said:
And I will pray that the protection of Saya be bestowed upon canova, whoever he is.

Seriously though, my mind is melting from the anime I have been favored to witness today.
Brandy's back!!!

Jerk

Banned
darkside31337 said:
That's a fair point and I agree with you. Since day 1 Himari has been nothing but a plot device (I won't go as far now as to say she's a MacGuffin) and has had virtually no development. I have never once cared for her as a character at all, but it seems quite apparent to me just by reading other peoples thoughts in here, that Himari was somehow a relevant character to them.

If you made the connection she's irrelevant to the story and it's merely her Penguin alter ego that matters then yeah I totally get where you're coming from. But the series definitely tries to drive home on the fact that the real dead Himari is now really super dead. That's where I lost the connection from this episode.

If you combine that reveal at the beginning of the episode with the death at the end, this insistence that Himari is now 'dead-dead' seems to me to be more of a 'rail-switching' moment than any attempt to garner sympathy. In short, the FACT that she died is more important than the actual death.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
JKTrix said:
I didn't really know anything about this Sarin incident before someone mentioned it a little while ago. Read up on it and now my mind is kind of blown. Seems a lot of stuff I've consumed has gotten some inspiration from it.

Ikuhara even mentions it in this 1998 interview he did with Anno
http://www.cjas.org/~leng/anno-ikuhara.txt

[Ikuhara] I know "KareKano" ("Kareshi Kanojo no Jijou") is just about to start,
but have you decided on anything like a regular style?
[Anno] Regular style?
[Ikuhara] Something like a set pattern.
[Anno] No, not really. I haven't decided, or should I say, it hasn't come to
me yet.

And it never did.

Would absolutely love for an actual adaptation of Kare Kano. Would be nice.

Interesting read though.

Branduil

The true story of what will happen in Penguin Drum(PD and Haibane Renmei Spoilers):

When Himari dies, her soul travels to Glie. The bird which comes with her is her penguin.

Uchip

Banned
Branduil said:
The true story of what will happen in Penguin Drum(PD and Haibane Renmei Spoilers):

When Himari dies, her soul travels to Glie. The bird which comes with her is her penguin.

sorry but PD has a long way to go to be compared to Haibane Renmei

LordCanti

darkside31337 said:

(Penguin 12)
Penguin-Hat comes right out and says that "If you wish to save your sister's life, find the Penguin Drum" etc. I don't think she's dead-dead at this point, although the definition of "dead" is vague in this show. I hope to see a lot more of her, interacting with Santetoshi in whatever place is between life and death (sleep and awake even) in this show, even if she is eventually revived.

For me, her character is vastly important. I've always said that I wanted to see more of her, but I think episode 9 scratched that itch for me. Instead of the perfect little angel we had grown accustomed to, we were presented with a girl that was somewhat haunted by her past, and frustrated with the way her life had played out. That episode made her "death" impactful in a way that it wasn't in the first episode, for me at least.

Thoraxes

I hate myself for this and feel really terrible for wanting this, but I wish for a second of Mayo Chiki.

Also I heard about the Blood-C craze too late, and decided to wait till it was over to start, so i'll give that a watch this weekend.

Dresden

mcAgql.jpg

Branduil

Dresden said:
[IM]http://i.imgur.com/mcAgql.jpg[/IMG]
Ikuhara truly is miraculous to be able to save stuff like this.

hosannainexcelsis said:
Blood-C 11-12

This was an amazing experience. The action in the last episode especially was very impressively animated and directed. This ended up quite enjoyable and I greatly look forward to the movie. Sometimes it's nice to sit back and watch some solid popcorn entertainment.

Not that I would eat popcorn while watching this. Or anything. Even with the lazy censorship, it's so brutal!
I think strawberry smoothies would go great with the last episode.

Hitokage said:
Mad Bull 34 1-4

This show is what happens when you sit in a room and write adolescent fantasies without any regard for how any of society's institutions work. Why research police work, legal proceedings, journalism, or even believable physics when you can make tits bounce and shit blow up.
So you're saying you liked it?

Branduil

zeroshiki said:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes 1-13

The only complaint I have is that the Galactic Empire is more interesting by magnitudes over the Free Planets Alliance for me so much so that the alternating nature of the episodes is kinda jarring. You're watching awesome political backstabbing and scheming in Odin one episode and then the next, Yang laments his position yet again and we get to watch how democracy fails us all in fictionalized form.
So it's realistic then?

Since anime is dead now, I think I'll just watch whatever random recommendation Netflix gives me. First up is:

Popotan
2004 NR 12 episodes
This Japanese anime series features Ai, Mai and Mii, three sisters who live with their robotic maid, Mea, in a time-traveling old mansion. The sisters spend their days searching for specific people in different time periods, sometimes generating profound effects on the future. These adventures also have a significant effect on the girls, as they're constantly having to make new friends each time they move through time.

cajunator

Banned
Trent Strong said:
Since anime is dead now, I think I'll just watch whatever random recommendation Netflix gives me. First up is:

Popotan
2004 NR 12 episodes
This Japanese anime series features Ai, Mai and Mii, three sisters who live with their robotic maid, Mea, in a time-traveling old mansion. The sisters spend their days searching for specific people in different time periods, sometimes generating profound effects on the future. These adventures also have a significant effect on the girls, as they're constantly having to make new friends each time they move through time.
That show is really cute, and more than a little perverted.
And yes, I do own it too. It was based on an H-game of the same name, which is kind of disturbing. It has one of the cutest ending theme songs ever made. a Powerful, saccharine coated, hypermoe song that you will dance to and then kill yourself for liking it.

Actually, fuck it, I'm linking to the song right now because I love it so much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFlvngWRYFk

cajunator said:
That show is really cute, and more than a little perverted.
And yes, I do own it too. It was based on an H-game of the same name, which is kind of disturbing. It has one of the cutest ending theme songs ever made. a Powerful, saccharine coated, hypermoe song that you will dance to and then kill yourself for liking it.

Actually, fuck it, I'm linking to the song right now because I love it so much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFlvngWRYFk

Perverted, eh? I was just joking, but maybe I really will watch it now.

Steroyd

Penguindrum - 12

Oh man fresh from watching Blood C, when the
Dark Bunnies
line was dropped I couldn't stop laughing.

cajunator

Banned
Trent Strong said:
Perverted, eh? I was just joking, but maybe I really will watch it now.
It's a really simple show (and quite a bit sadder than it should be). But it does have goddess Haruko Momoi in it.

The only thing I know about the Popotan game is that 2 of the main characters from the OP were used for the Caramelldansen video meme. The anime was pretty boring though, I think I watched about 4 episodes before giving up on it.

Zero no Tsukaima 8:

Character development for Tabitha. Meanwhile, back at the school, fun with love potions.

Zero no Tsukaima 9:

Story progression here, apparently. I'm guessing the Ring of Whatever is going to be important. Another mention of the strange runes on Saito's hand.

Both 8 and 9 have very very brief foreshadows at the end of each episode, presumably leading into the main story to come, because they sure went out of their way to make it look all ominous.

cajunator

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
The only thing I know about the Popotan game is that 2 of the main characters from the OP were used for the Caramelldansen video meme. The anime was pretty boring though, I think I watched about 4 episodes before giving up on it.

Zero no Tsukaima 8:

Character development for Tabitha. Meanwhile, back at the school, fun with love potions.

Zero no Tsukaima 9:

Story progression here, apparently. I'm guessing the Ring of Whatever is going to be important. Another mention of the strange runes on Saito's hand.

Both 8 and 9 have very very brief foreshadows at the end of each episode, presumably leading into the main story to come, because they sure went out of their way to make it look all ominous.
THat is correct. It was taken from the opening of the Hgame.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ6oePkrK7s

Branduil

Steroyd said:
Penguindrum - 12

Oh man fresh from watching Blood C, when the
Dark Bunnies
line was dropped I couldn't stop laughing.
All of the top anime from this season have
bunnies.

Unfortunately this did not work last season for
Tiger and Bunny.

Articalys

Idolmaster 13

That was alright.
Could've done with a little less of the backstage drama. Also felt like they overdid the wotagei sound effects on the last song. Also also I like how it's implied the only song Ryuuguu Komachi knows is Smoky Thrill.

Steroyd

NeonZ said:
It was translated first. Both were released in the same Shounen Jump.

That's the point, to give an example Sket Dance would have been on pages 31 - 49, while Gintama would have been on pages 81 - 99, hence the jokes being as they were in the manga, Sket Dance had the bigger disadvantage in adapting the manga proper because the Gintama anime aired first.

Zero no Tsukaima 10:

Sweet, Louise is
betrothed to a dashing mage-knight named Waldo.
Curiously enough, we find this out just in time for the season to end. Currently my prediction for
Waldo being killed in the season-ending episode
is 100%. No, I don't actually know what's going to happen, but that's how these things always seem to go, you know?

cajunator

Banned
Uchip said:
please tell me the small one doesnt get an H scene
What do you think? At least the anime isn't a hentai.
The show is one of those that bombards you with cuteness from beginning to end, like Pita 10 or Galaxy Angel. If you don't like that sort of thing, then it's probably not a good idea to watch it. Myself, I have no standards and I like super-happy cute things, because I am insane. But somebody has to buy this stuff I suppose.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Unknown Soldier said:
The only thing I know about the Popotan game is that 2 of the main characters from the OP were used for the Caramelldansen video meme.
I thought I had been freed from that meme four years ago. :mad:
cajunator said:
I figured out why I dropped Idolmaster so fast. there isn't enough Takane in it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_txPWmhXlQ
Doesn't it get really hot inside those dresses?

Lots of little lights and stuff. The heat must get unbearable after one or two songs.

Branduil

Regulus Tera said:
Doesn't it get really hot inside those dresses?

Lots of little lights and stuff. The heat must get unbearable after one or two songs.
Don't forget the bright stage lights shining on them. The brighter and more focused the lights, the hotter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom